question for snowbirds

disneykins

DIS Veteran
Is it worth it to buy 2 cases of beer at the Duty Free store in Windsor on our driving trip south or is it better (cheaper) to wait until we are in Florida to buy it?
Thanks,
Tony

Depends what you want to drink down there. If you want to pick up some Canadian beers cheap for drinking down there, then it makes sense. I know our crossing at Thousand Islands has some nice craft brews at a good price. With a couple of exceptions, Canadian brands aren't very easy to find in FL.

If you are planning to buy US brands I would wait; adding 40 lbs to your payload for several thousand km will probably eat up the little savings (if any) in gas mileage.

We usually stop in Kentucky on the drive down and pick up alcohol. I think it is the cheapest there but, be careful some counties are considered "dry" and don't sell alcohol.

Last edited:

You also have to check if the state where you are crossing at has limits on what you can bring with you. Some do and the CBP officer that did our Nexus interview said to always double-check if you don’t want trouble (or loosing our Nexus in our case).

Oh no, not at all, I’m on my way home from a 3 week trip to Deerfield beach/Boca. 24 beers 24 $. American beers. If you really want Canadian beer, total wines has some. A tad pricey IMHO. BUT IF YOU are like us and can drink American on vacation, not worth the headache !! Buy it there.
im anxious for a Canadian beer tomorrow 😍

If you don't mind American beer, hold off. Depending on where you shop, you can pick up 18 Busch (for example) as cheap as $12 US, Bud and Coors slightly more. I found that Walgreens (drug store) actually had the cheapest prices (although they do require you to show photo ID regardless of your age). Walmart, Target and Publix also have deals. Liquor is insanely cheaper (60 ounces of Vodka for as little as $13 for an off-brand.), but that's dependent on the particular liquor store. Cheers!

And if you are a Costco member, take your card with you. My BIL gets very good deals on US beer from Costco in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter