• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

Thanks for the link to that other thread, I'll have a good read through!

Couple of places we're thinking of visiting pre-tour, but I wanted to check first that they're not already covered on the ABD - El Capitan and the Soda Fountain?

Depends on the trip but on my trip last year (was literally this time last year since I went over President's Day) we toured El Capitan and we did the Soda Fountain as part of one of our optional activities which was an ice cream social and movie night so we saw Lady and the Tramp at the El Capitan.

On the day our trip started, because we arrived the day before, we spent the morning hiking in Runyon Canyon, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the hotel and then toured the Chinese Theatre on our own. We found the hiking really helped with the jetlag cause we got lots of fresh air and sunshine.

Couple of places we're thinking of visiting pre-tour, but I wanted to check first that they're not already covered on the ABD - El Capitan and the Soda Fountain?

No hard and fast rule about these two. Maybe yes, maybe no. We visited the Chinese Theater rather than the El Cap. On one or two of our BSM's we visited the Soda Fountain, but not on the others. No way of knowing before hand so you take your chances.

I agree with OKW Lover. I think it depends on the guides as well as what else is going on when you're there. We did El Capitan but then we couldn't do the Dolby Theatre because they were setting up for the Oscars. If we'd been on a trip a few weeks later, we probably wouldn't have done the El Capitan at all since Cinderella was having it's premier. Depends on timing as well as accessibility.

We never look at the ABD as the end all and be all of a visit to a city and we don't try to fit EVERYTHING into our free time. We look at the ABD trips as a good introduction to a city that maybe we may want to visit again on our own. We are doing Central Europe in the fall and we know we are not going to get to see and do everything in Prague and Vienna but we know that it will be a great introduction to those two cities so that if we want to we can go back on our own at a later date, tour the cities and see what we missed.

We used our Backstage Magic ABD as more of an intro to Disneyland than anything else. We come from a big city that not only has a huge theatre scene but also hosts one of the largest film festivals in the world so Hollywood really wasn't something we were dying to do, probably why we opted to do the hike in the morning. It's not uncommon to walk around our downtown core and see movie trucks everywhere. This is from the upcoming Suicide Squad movie.
suicide-squad-toronto-plane.jpg

This is just down the street from my office.

1297704470361_ORIGINAL.jpg

This is right across the street from a major downtown shopping mall.

Also we have theatres that are just as old, if not older than the El Capitan that are still used for live theatre, so while it was neat to see the El Capitan for it's connection to Disney, for us it was just another really beautiful old theatre that has been converted into a movie theatre.

I'm not trying to put down the Backstage Magic tour in any way, just pointing out that everyone's trip experience is different. For us it more about Disneyland. It made enough of an impression that we wanted to go back so we did, we went this past December to see the 60th celebration and we're booked to return this coming December.

No hard and fast rule about these two. Maybe yes, maybe no. We visited the Chinese Theater rather than the El Cap. On one or two of our BSM's we visited the Soda Fountain, but not on the others. No way of knowing before hand so you take your chances.

We got lucky and had the trifecta: el cap for Hocus Pocus, ice cream and wax museum. Each trip is unique. I have read old trip reports were tickets to a certain late night show taping were included...but I have not read of that happening for a few years.

We come from a big city that not only has a huge theatre scene but also hosts one of the largest film festivals in the world so Hollywood really wasn't something we were dying to do, probably why we opted to do the hike in the morning. It's not uncommon to walk around our downtown core and see movie trucks everywhere. This is from the upcoming Suicide Squad movie.

Also we have theatres that are just as old, if not older than the El Capitan that are still used for live theatre, so while it was neat to see the El Capitan for it's connection to Disney, for us it was just another really beautiful old theatre that has been converted into a movie theatre.

Nice! I spent 10 years working just south of where these pictures were shot and saw some interesting things but I never got to see anything quite like that!

We come from a big city that not only has a huge theatre scene but also hosts one of the largest film festivals in the world so Hollywood really wasn't something we were dying to do, probably why we opted to do the hike in the morning. It's not uncommon to walk around our downtown core and see movie trucks everywhere. This is from the upcoming Suicide Squad movie.

Nice! I spent 10 years working just south of where these pictures were shot and saw some interesting things but I never got to see anything quite like that!

The entire Suicide Squad movie was shot here in Toronto. Wasn't uncommon to find Will Smith walking down the street. He was spotted working out in a local gym. The plane scene shut a major road down over the weekend last summer while they filmed and the race scene was shot at like 3am but people still went out to watch and take pictures. A lot of movies and TV shows that are supposed to take place in New York or LA or Chicago etc are actually shot here. The recent TV show Minority Report was shot here.

ABD has changed their policy regarding arrival transfers, but departure transfers remain the same.

If you book post nights through ABD, and the Grand Californian is your only option, transfers remain intact.

If you book post nights at any other location (including the other Disney hotels), you would be responsible for your own transportation to the airport.

You are welcome to do this and it may make sense financially, but if included transfers are important to you, then your post nights must be booked through ABD.
I'm assuming that these rules regarding post-nights are still correct, which brings me to a new question...

We may see if we can switch our post-nights (currently booked through ABD), to use our DVC points and stay at the Villas. This would mean we'll lose our ABD transfer to the airport, so what recommendations do you all have for getting from the Grand Californian to Orange County (SNA) airport and approximately how much would this cost?

I'm assuming that these rules regarding post-nights are still correct, which brings me to a new question...

We may see if we can switch our post-nights (currently booked through ABD), to use our DVC points and stay at the Villas. This would mean we'll lose our ABD transfer to the airport, so what recommendations do you all have for getting from the Grand Californian to Orange County (SNA) airport and approximately how much would this cost?

We visited Disneyland on our own this past December and we used Disneyland Express to get back and forth to the airport. They pick up at Grand Californian. There are 2 routes, one between DL and LAX and one between DL and SNA. Here is a link to their information. http://www.graylineanaheim.com/docs/DRE Brochure.pdf The cost is $20 one way per adult. You would just let the valet know that you are waiting for the Disneyland Express to John Wayne Airport.

Meryll,

If you have questions regarding your ABD reservation please write to me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimiitedTravel.com

We visited Disneyland on our own this past December and we used Disneyland Express to get back and forth to the airport. They pick up at Grand Californian. There are 2 routes, one between DL and LAX and one between DL and SNA. Here is a link to their information. http://www.graylineanaheim.com/docs/DRE Brochure.pdf The cost is $20 one way per adult. You would just let the valet know that you are waiting for the Disneyland Express to John Wayne Airport.
Thanks for this - do you pre-book onto this?
Meryll,

If you have questions regarding your ABD reservation please write to me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimiitedTravel.com
Will do Kevin, we just haven't quite decided what we're going to do yet!
(Although probably leaning towards keeping the ABD nights and renting our DVC points)

Last edited:
We actually did that on our first BSM trip. Getting from the GC to SNA is pretty easy, grab a cab right out front. Ask the Guest Services desk for a flat rate voucher and you'll pay ~$40 plus tip for your whole party.

Thanks for this - do you pre-book onto this?

It's not necessary to pre-book. You can pay on the bus. For a return trip to the airport, the bus will make a final stop at the DL hotel. Someone will get on the bus and collect the fares from you. We had vouchers because our agent pre-booked us roundtrip as we didn't have a car and it was not tied to an ABD trip.

Sounds like a taxi would cost the same then, so might be the more flexible option. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like a taxi would cost the same then, so might be the more flexible option. Thanks for the advice!
We go once or twice a year and always just use a taxi. It usually takes much longer to wait for the luggage to be pulled than to grab the cab. Just build in the right amount of time to get to the airport - it is usually a very quick drive on the weekends, weekdays can be long if you hit traffic. The valets can give you advice on your day of departure. We love the Grand Calif villas.

Any experiences yet of where the dinner that is usually held at Big Thunder Ranch will be?

Also, any recommendations for breakfast and lunch for our additional days at DL Resort?

Thanks again everyone!

Thinking of also doing the Happiest Haunts tour while we're there next year, has anyone done this before/after the ABD this year and do you see enough different things that it's worth it?

Also, still wondering whether anyone has any advice on this?

Thanks again!

any recommendations for breakfast and lunch for our additional days at DL Resort?
Try Catal in DTD for breakfast. Or for something quicker either Le Bara bakery or Earl of Sandwich. For lunch, it kind of depends on what park you are in.

Any experiences yet of where the dinner that is usually held at Big Thunder Ranch will be?

Also, any recommendations for breakfast and lunch for our additional days at DL Resort?

Thanks again everyone!

Big Thunder Ranch was not serving when we were there. Our dinner was held at Steakhouse 55 at the DLH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter