Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

I'm just curious but do Koda and Kenai sign autographs? Also, are there characters in the terminal?

I saw Eskimo Minnie, Mickey in a rain slicker, Goofy in ski gear (Tracy arm day), Goofy in a sailor suit (embarkation day) and Chip & Dale with kerchiefs around their necks. Also saw Terk. I don't recall seeing the bears at all, but I didn't pay any attention to the characters in the atrium, since my kids are grown. I did see Jiminy Cricket, which I thought was unusual.

Just got back in today, and I have to say that deck 4 starboard side had a great view of the Sawyer glacier and seals at Tracy arm. We got tons of pictures and popped over to the port side once or twice, but it wasn't as good of viewing.

We had hoped to view from our deck 5 cabin porthole, but the windows were already really dirty by then.
Also note cabin service was seriously backed up that afternoon. Lunch took 1.5 hours to show up. We had 2 bites before we ran down to see the glacier. Plan appropriately.

We went on RCL last year and we put a luggage tag on cases of water and they brought it on for us. Does DCL allow this?

NO, any beverages you want to bring on MUST be carried on and NOT BE IN CHECKED LUGGAGE. You can bring a case of whatever you want onboard but you MUST put it in some sort of bag and bring onboard with you as a carryon. I would suggest something with wheels.

You would only have it with you until the rooms open up at about 1:30.

MJ

DH parked himself at the very front of deck 10 a good 2 or so hours before we entered the fjord. DS and I napped in the room. Lol. We went up when we entered the fjord. It was cold and windy, so e mainly stayed behind the glass with the hot chocolate and cookies... ;)

We did go out front to get some pics with the glacier in the background though. DH got some good pics...he should...for being out there for 5+ hours! Lol.

I know it is possible to send a box to the ships in Port Canaveral, but I am wondering if previous Alaska cruisers could share any experience they have shipping a parcel to the Wonder in Vancouver.

Alternatively I suppose I could FedEx a box to the hotel we're staying at, but I'd prefer to not have to carry it onboard if possible.

Also, are there any particular binoculars that folks found very useful/portable? We sail in 39 short days, so I guess I need to iron out some of these details!

Thanks!
Maureen

We have a pair of Canon Binoculars with Image Stabilizers-Best we've ever had but they're a few years old already.

Any current cruisers care to do a weather update?

We have a pair of Canon Binoculars with Image Stabilizers-Best we've ever had but they're a few years old already.

Any current cruisers care to do a weather update?

Just got home yesterday. It was BEAUTIFUL weather. High of about 70 each day.

Sunny every day, very comfortable in short sleeves with a light jacket at times. The only day it was a bit chilly was Tracy Arm day but that may have been because I stood on deck in capri pants and sandals. :scared1:

Some of you were asking were the good spots for viewing was. We saw a lot right from our own 6th floor balcony but then went up to deck 10 at the glacier to see the "fullness" of the area. You really wont hear the naturalist up there because it's not loud enough. You can hear it in your stateroom though

also to note...on our first Sea day my DH and DS were just hanging out on deck 4 playing shuffleboard and the characters all stroll by there...no lines and LOTS of time for autographs and photos...It was pretty nice.(goofy and minnie were in their Alaska attire)

Another thought...the secret deck 7. I heard someone post that after we returned and I had wished I remembered it while on board. Would be a good spot to look out with not a lot of crowds probably.

IMHO I didn't think the outlook cafe was great for views but it was a fun adult hang out spot :)

Has anyone brought stuff to give to guest services to be signed? Is there any limit? My cousins 2girls will not be accompanying the rest of the family on our cruise next month through no fault of their own and I would like to surprise them with signed vinylmations and one for myself. Will I have a problem because I am one person asking to have three items signed? I plan to include a bag of chocolates and a bag for the front desk staff. Thanks for any info.

Just got home yesterday. It was BEAUTIFUL weather. High of about 70 each day.

Sunny every day, very comfortable in short sleeves with a light jacket at times. The only day it was a bit chilly was Tracy Arm day but that may have been because I stood on deck in capri pants and sandals. :scared1:

We were on the cruise before (5/28 - 7/5). Don't think it hit 60 after Vancouver, but we got lucky and just about no rain the first two days, and just "Pacific NW" drizzle in Juneau and Ketchican. Got used to the weather, even coming from the 90s in Maryland within a few days - helped by a couple days in Portland then Vancouver first. By the last day at sea, the kids had no problem eating breakfast outside in 54 degree weather - in short sleeved shirts (DS had shorts)... though they were very happy to head back inside as soon as they'd finished eating :-)

If you've a decent rainjacket, the drizzle really isn't so bad... and when you were out of the breeze, the temperatures weren't bad at all. Tracy Arm day, I got out the light gloves I found in a pocket - but it was drizzly on and off *and* because the ship was moving, the breeze got a bit cool. :goodvibes still amused at the one girl down on the flying bridge - I commented that her toes must be *so* cold - she had flip flops on. Apparently, she'd been told that she could go with a parent to watch the scenery from the bridge - and she thought indoors - maybe on that balcony-type area. Nope - so she had cold feet - and someone eventually found her a safety vest to put on over her sweatshirt to help warm her up a bit. At least she was a really good sport about it (and at somewhere between 4th and 7th grade from appearance and reaction, that's pretty darned good in my book :-)

Any specific questions that didn't come up before, that I can help with, ask away.

We were on the cruise before (5/28 - 7/5). Don't think it hit 60 after Vancouver, but we got lucky and just about no rain the first two days, and just "Pacific NW" drizzle in Juneau and Ketchican. Got used to the weather, even coming from the 90s in Maryland within a few days - helped by a couple days in Portland then Vancouver first. By the last day at sea, the kids had no problem eating breakfast outside in 54 degree weather - in short sleeved shirts (DS had shorts)... though they were very happy to head back inside as soon as they'd finished eating :-)

If you've a decent rainjacket, the drizzle really isn't so bad... and when you were out of the breeze, the temperatures weren't bad at all. Tracy Arm day, I got out the light gloves I found in a pocket - but it was drizzly on and off *and* because the ship was moving, the breeze got a bit cool. :goodvibes still amused at the one girl down on the flying bridge - I commented that her toes must be *so* cold - she had flip flops on. Apparently, she'd been told that she could go with a parent to watch the scenery from the bridge - and she thought indoors - maybe on that balcony-type area. Nope - so she had cold feet - and someone eventually found her a safety vest to put on over her sweatshirt to help warm her up a bit. At least she was a really good sport about it (and at somewhere between 4th and 7th grade from appearance and reaction, that's pretty darned good in my book :-)

Any specific questions that didn't come up before, that I can help with, ask away.
I am so confused on what to pack!!!!!! We will be on Aug 23 sailing.....jeans, sweats, short sleeves, long sleeves.....ahhhhhhh I know I know LAYERS but that would mean I would almost have to pack twice of what we need.....help....please!

I am so confused on what to pack!!!!!! We will be on Aug 23 sailing.....jeans, sweats, short sleeves, long sleeves.....ahhhhhhh I know I know LAYERS but that would mean I would almost have to pack twice of what we need.....help....please!

Sadly, layers is better - but you can always plan to wear the outer layer (sweatshirt, or whatever) more than once, if you're just wearing it to stay warm... and there are washers/dryers on board - even if they don't all work properly all the time, Guest Services was *very* good about taking charges off when the machine didn't work correctly, and in responding when there were problems (their poor IT guys on our trip must have been working overtime, the card system kept going down, which affected buying washer/dryer time as well - and I know it was stressing Guest Services out when they were having tech issues as well)

We took clothes for 5 days, because we did a couple days elsewhere before and after the cruise, did wash twice... no problem really. Oh, and I think we took only 3-4 dinner outfits each, as I figured it's a holiday, and if we're *only* wearing it for dinner, if we don't spill, we can always wear it a second night before cleaning. Kids, except for formal/semi-formal days tended to wear what they wore elsewhere all day... mine changed tops to something nice, except on ... I think it was Tracy Arm, when we just didn't really have a chance by the time we figured out what time it was and had to head to our late seating dinner. A lot of kids just wore sweatshirt/t-shirt/whatever for meals every night.... most adults at least wore nicer tops in general.

Oh... and *don't* forget that rainjacket, if you don't like to be wet. Ketchikan, especially is far more often rainy than dry. *g* And it can always work as that extra outer layer if you get a chilly day - or to cut the breeze in Tracy Arm.

A Pacific Northwesterner's packing list (assuming two laundry visits, and no particularly strenuous or dirty excursions):

3 pairs decent-looking slacks
3 polo shirts
1 polar fleece pullover or sweater
1 3-in-1 jacket (found at LL Bean or similar--this is a jacket system with a light, rainproof, outer layer, and a warm, zip-in, zip-out liner. Zip it out, you have a windbreaker, and zip it in, you have a heavy winter coat)
warm gloves
a hat (if you don't have a hood)
Wear comfortable, appropriate shoes
A suit or dress appropriate for formal and semi-formal night, or, if you are a man, you can also rent a tux from Cruiseline Formalwear
Shoes to match the suit or dress
Hosiery to match the suit or dress
4 pairs of socks
swimsuit
flannel pajamas
lightweight summer pajamas

This should cover the range of temperatures you'll encounter:

90 degrees-wear the polos and slacks

50 degrees-wear the polos, slacks, jacket, and, if you tend to get cold, the sweater or pullover

20 degrees-wear the flannel pajamas underneath the slacks and sweater (an old Seattle trick), and wear the 3-in-1 with both layers. Wear the hat and gloves.

i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for transportation to and from the airport for 2 kids still in car seats, other than dcl transfers. i don't want to rent a car so i am trying to figure out other options.

i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for transportation to and from the airport for 2 kids still in car seats, other than dcl transfers. i don't want to rent a car so i am trying to figure out other options.

We took a town car from the airport to our Vancouver hotel. For the four of us and our luggage it was $45. It was a Chevy Tahoe so your car seats would fit just fine.

From the port to the airport we took a van taxi which cost us $40 with the tip and there was plenty of room for your car seats. The taxis are lined up in both spots and a very smooth way to go!

TK

Sadly, layers is better - but you can always plan to wear the outer layer (sweatshirt, or whatever) more than once, if you're just wearing it to stay warm... and there are washers/dryers on board - even if they don't all work properly all the time, Guest Services was *very* good about taking charges off when the machine didn't work correctly, and in responding when there were problems (their poor IT guys on our trip must have been working overtime, the card system kept going down, which affected buying washer/dryer time as well - and I know it was stressing Guest Services out when they were having tech issues as well)

We took clothes for 5 days, because we did a couple days elsewhere before and after the cruise, did wash twice... no problem really. Oh, and I think we took only 3-4 dinner outfits each, as I figured it's a holiday, and if we're *only* wearing it for dinner, if we don't spill, we can always wear it a second night before cleaning. Kids, except for formal/semi-formal days tended to wear what they wore elsewhere all day... mine changed tops to something nice, except on ... I think it was Tracy Arm, when we just didn't really have a chance by the time we figured out what time it was and had to head to our late seating dinner. A lot of kids just wore sweatshirt/t-shirt/whatever for meals every night.... most adults at least wore nicer tops in general.

Oh... and *don't* forget that rainjacket, if you don't like to be wet. Ketchikan, especially is far more often rainy than dry. *g* And it can always work as that extra outer layer if you get a chilly day - or to cut the breeze in Tracy Arm.
Thanks for the info...you too Mellers! I never knew packing could be this stressful thanks for the tips!

Has anyone brought stuff to give to guest services to be signed? Is there any limit? My cousins 2girls will not be accompanying the rest of the family on our cruise next month through no fault of their own and I would like to surprise them with signed vinylmations and one for myself. Will I have a problem because I am one person asking to have three items signed? I plan to include a bag of chocolates and a bag for the front desk staff. Thanks for any info.

We were 5 people in two staterooms and I had 5 Vinylmations (2 large and 3 small) to have signed. On the first night I took all of them (divvied up into two bags with a bag of candy in each) to Guest Services and they didn't hesitate to take them.

So, I think if you are on one of the 'classic ships' and take items equaling to no more than the number in your sailing party, there shouldn't be a problem.

We were 5 people in two staterooms and I had 5 Vinylmations (2 large and 3 small) to have signed. On the first night I took all of them (divvied up into two bags with a bag of candy in each) to Guest Services and they didn't hesitate to take them.

So, I think if you are on one of the 'classic ships' and take items equaling to no more than the number in your sailing party, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info!

just back from the July 5th- July 12th cruise. Got home last night.
Weather, as you have all heard, was the best on all the cruises so far. In the 70's at times. We also got into Tracy Arm the farthest they said. Got so close, it was so wonderful and we got to see calving as well.

Basically wore t-shirts with zip up sweatshirts. We all had wind breakers which we wore a couple of times only.

Best place to see Tracy Arm. IMHO, Deck 9 forward. I stood up there for maybe 5 hours taking pictures. We did have a whale right outside our verandah too. (I missed it as I was in the shower :guilty:) But we saw lots of whales, eagles, seals and goats. DD saw a bear on her zipline!

Skagway: DH and I went on the bicycle trip. Van to top of mountain and rode down to town. Most was downhill but there was some uphill too, which got tough when I haven't been on a bike in years. Only time I was cold was around my wrist area. I had on gloves and the wind went up my sleeves when going downhill. We had a fun time. DD did rock climbing and was in a t-shirt and capris. Not cold at all. DD loved it once she got over the fear. Both we would do again.
Juneau: The three of us took the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier. Again layers. We had t shirts, a sweatshirt and then our windbreakers along with gloves and ski caps. DH had no gloves but was ok. This was the greatest of all things we did. DH doesn't like helicopters but said it was fine. (too many in his Air Force days) DD and I thought it was fun. Landing on the glacier was like a dream. I took so many pictures. Just loading them in today to the computer. If you go make sure you take an empty water bottle to fill the stream water to drink. This was just a thrill to see.
Ketchikan: DD did zipline and again loved the excursion. Wore jeans as required and tennis shoes. Was not cold at all. DH and I just walked around the town and had fun looking at the stores. It was t-shirt weather.

About the stores:
If you don't see a sign at the door that says "local owner, or locally owned" then it is usually owned by Princess Cruises. You will see a lot of repeat stores from Mexico and the Caribbean. I even had someone jump out at me in Ketchikan and say they had what I was looking for! How Mexico of them...The locals really don't like them there. One lady heard my DH and I talking about jewelry and came up to us and said some of the stores are selling fake stones and gold. I told her we bought local in Juneau. The locals like it when you buy local!

Would we do this again....

YES, in a heart beat....:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter