Recent polls about "Millenials"

So perhaps vet employees more?

Your issue is a tale as old as time. The only difference is cell phones have entered the world. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been to businesses with people using their cell phones and it's not at all subject to teens. When I worked retail we had to lock our cell phones (which were just becoming what everyone had) in our lockers. What are your rules regarding cell phones? Are they allowed on their person but not to be used or are they supposed to be put up?

To your point about making an omlette no a 45 year old woman doesn't automatically know how to make an omlette. But she learned it and she may have learned it last week as opposed to years and years ago. And just as a funny random example my husband learned to fold towels a certain way from his mom and I learned a completely different way from my mom. Whoever is folding towels does it their way-there's no anarchy in our household because of that.

I don't keep defending something I have no experience with I'm coming at it from an angle that I've worked with people who have crappy attitudes but that they are not confined to teens. You keep attacking an entire 'generation' on something that you have limited experience with.

As to your comment about not wanting to eat somewhere that the employees won't clean: 1) The place should be cleaned according to health code no matter who ends up doing the cleaning 2) If the place isn't being cleaned properly it should be reported as a health code violation. 3) There are no passes for cleanliness on the basis of certain employees don't want to clean.

I am sharing my experience. The people we have had issues with are the younger generation. The older people that do work there come in and do their job and do it well. And in a perfect world I am sure they would love to be picky with who they hire. But we have such a low unemployment rate in my city that everyone is short staffed. No one is even applying for the jobs here. They have raised minimum wage plus most places pay above it. And that is part of the problem, they can go anywhere and get away with type of behavior because they need bodies. It is the more mature adults that have some kind of sense of pride and a work ethic that is lacking now.

That is not the case at all what I am talking about. I am not talking about them asking questions and giving input, it is far far beyond that. It is someone coming into the job and not doing ANYTHING they are supposed to because they are lazy and don't actually want to do any physical work. I work in food, it is not a "we need new ideas" type of job. It is you do the job the way it supposed to be done because of health codes, etc. But they don't want to do things the way they are supposed to be done because "that is too much work". So do you want to eat somewhere that things are not done to code because a young person "wants to challenge the way things are done".

As pointed out, most teens are not considered millennials, but the generation after

When have teens not been like this?

What group of teens hasn't been described as lazy, aimless, narcissistic, and questioning authority?

When have teens not been like this?

See that's the thing, I was not like that and most teens of my generation where not either. Of course you always had the few but for the most part we all had jobs starting at 15 and we did the job as we were supposed to. My first job was in a bakery at a grocery store. There was 1 supervisor for the whole store who stayed up front by the registers most of the evening and the departments had teens and early 20s working them. We all did our jobs and did them the right way without anyone standing over us telling us over and over to actually do our jobs. If you forgot to do something you sure as heck heard about it and never made that mistake again. Of course back then if you went to apply for a new job they would call your old job to see what kind of worker you were. They can't do that anymore so you could steal, cheat, lie, etc and your new job would have no idea what a horrible employee you where. The first thing they told us when we were getting hired is that if you are old enough for a job then you are old enough to do the job right. They would not talk to your parents if you wanted to call in sick or wanted a day off, etc. So back then, you did the job and did it right or you did not have a job until you matured and learned a work ethic, or not and you lived in your parent's basement forever.

See that's the thing, I was not like that and most teens of my generation where not either. Of course you always had the few but for the most part we all had jobs starting at 15 and we did the job as we were supposed to. My first job was in a bakery at a grocery store. There was 1 supervisor for the whole store who stayed up front by the registers most of the evening and the departments had teens and early 20s working them. We all did our jobs and did them the right way without anyone standing over us telling us over and over to actually do our jobs. If you forgot to do something you sure as heck heard about it and never made that mistake again. Of course back then if you went to apply for a new job they would call your old job to see what kind of worker you were. They can't do that anymore so you could steal, cheat, lie, etc and your new job would have no idea what a horrible employee you where. The first thing they told us when we were getting hired is that if you are old enough for a job then you are old enough to do the job right. They would not talk to your parents if you wanted to call in sick or wanted a day off, etc. So back then, you did the job and did it right or you did not have a job until you matured and learned a work ethic, or not and you lived in your parent's basement forever.
But when you were a teen, the older generation absolutely thought you were like that, that you were lazy and entitled. Every generation has said that about the generation that came after. It wasn't true then and it's not true now. That is the whole point some here are trying to make. These labels and characterizations aren't valid, but they are repeated every generation. It's not accurate. I can guarantee you that in twenty years these 18-20 year olds will be saying the same thing about the younger generations (except their own kids who will be lovely, responsible and hardworking people.)

But that is your limited experience and memory.

Are you Gen X? A notable example of alternative rock is grunge music and the associated subculture that developed in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Grunge song lyrics have been called the "...product of Generation X malaise".[104] Vulture commented: "the best bands arose from the boredom of latchkey kids". "People made records entirely to please themselves because there was nobody else to please" commented producer Jack Endino.[105] Grunge lyrics are typically dark, nihilistic,[106] angst-filled, anguished, and often addressing themes such as social alienation, despair and apathy[107]

The Baby Boomers who most definitely questioned authority and did not just do what they were told.
Key characteristics: experimental, individualism, free spirited, social cause oriented.
Key characteristics: less optimistic, distrust of government, and general cynicism.

The Silent Generation who loved Elvis as he idolized James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause.

Or the Flappers before them "The flapper stands as one of the most enduring images of youth and new women in the twentieth century, and is viewed by Americans as something of a cultural heroine nowadays. However, back in the 1920s, many Americans regarded flappers as threatening to conventional society, representing a new moral order. Although most of them were the daughters of the middle class, they flouted middle-class values. They shrugged off their chaperones, danced suggestively, and openly flirted with boys. "Flappers prized style over substance, novelty over tradition, and pleasure over virtue."[49]

But when you were a teen, the older generation absolutely thought you were like that, that you were lazy and entitled. Every generation has said that about the generation that came after. It wasn't true then and it's not true now. That is the whole point some here are trying to make. These labels and characterizations aren't valid, but they are repeated every generation. It's not accurate. I can guarantee you that in twenty years these 18-20 year olds will be saying the same thing about the younger generations (except their own kids who will be lovely, responsible and hardworking people.)

No the difference is we were not allowed to be lazy at our jobs. They called us out on that instantly. I worked side by side with people old enough to be my parents and I did the exact same job as they did. This had not been my experience with many of the younger people now. I really don't see how you can say the my personal experiences are invalid. I am actually living this.

How do you know that most teens now aren't like that too?

Because you are using a small sample of the people you know personally and extrapolating it out to the entire generation. So you know some crappy kids, we all do. I know a lot of crappy adults too. It doesn't make those universal to the entire population.

No the difference is we were not allowed to be lazy at our jobs. They called us out on that instantly. I worked side by side with people old enough to be my parents and I did the exact same job as they did. This had not been my experience with many of the younger people now. I really don't see how you can say the my personal experiences are invalid. I am actually living this.

So is it the teens or the managers who allow them to be lazy?

I don't think your personal experience is invalid, it is your experience. However your experience with some teens today does not mean that the entire generation is that way. You don't seem to understand that, so posters are trying to explain it to you.

I am sharing my experience. The people we have had issues with are the younger generation. The older people that do work there come in and do their job and do it well. And in a perfect world I am sure they would love to be picky with who they hire. But we have such a low unemployment rate in my city that everyone is short staffed. No one is even applying for the jobs here. They have raised minimum wage plus most places pay above it. And that is part of the problem, they can go anywhere and get away with type of behavior because they need bodies. It is the more mature adults that have some kind of sense of pride and a work ethic that is lacking now.

So then the "problem" generation is the one who raised those teens, no?

So is it the teens or the managers who allow them to be lazy?

I don't think your personal experience is invalid, it is your experience. However your experience with some teens today does not mean that the entire generation is that way. You don't seem to understand that, so posters are trying to explain it to you.

I have always said that not EVERY single young person was like that. In fact I have said numerous times that you can tell someone who had been raised differently. We have had some really great young people over the years. But the majority of the them have been on the lazy, rude side. And you act as if I am the first and only person in the country to talk this way about them.

So then the "problem" generation is the one who raised those teens, no?

Oh I agree that for some reason people are not raising their kids the way that they were raised. I don't know why. Something has gone wrong especially in this country. It started with the Dr Spock and the the "shrinks" who tell these parents that you have to worry about your kid's feelings and that you should get down on their level and explain things. Nope, obviously that does not work. It is truly horrifying to see how these kids are now turning into school shooters.

Maybe off topic as I haven't read all the replies.

I have to laugh when I hear senior citizens complain about today's young people.
My retort is why did you raise YOUR kid to be such a sucky parent then if you feel that.

Majority of the young people I know are great people - hardworking, studious, independent.

Oh I agree that for some reason people are not raising their kids the way that they were raised. I don't know why. Something has gone wrong especially in this country. It started with the Dr Spock and the the "shrinks" who tell these parents that you have to worry about your kid's feelings and that you should get down on their level and explain things. Nope, obviously that does not work. It is truly horrifying to see how these kids are now turning into school shooters.
oh geez...

I have always said that not EVERY single young person was like that. In fact I have said numerous times that you can tell someone who had been raised differently. We have had some really great young people over the years. But the majority of the them have been on the lazy, rude side. And you act as if I am the first and only person in the country to talk this way about them.
I've seen that video too sometime last year. But I hope you understand that that video doesn't actually prove your point but rather other people's points.

Maybe off topic as I haven't read all the replies.

I have to laugh when I hear senior citizens complain about today's young people.
My retort is why did you raise YOUR kid to be such a sucky parent then if you feel that.

Majority of the young people I know are great people - hardworking, studious, independent.

I totally agree with that. Parents that get angry and defensive when someone says something about their out of control kid or their parenting are the ones that are doing it wrong. Even on these boards you see that.

I've seen that video too sometime last year. But I hope you understand that that video doesn't actually prove your point but rather other people's points.

I have been giving examples of how I have seen people behave, that is all. I fully blame their upbringing for it. I wish I could call their parents in and show them videos of how their kids act. But honestly once the kid is that old and at that level the parents refuse to see it because they created that.

I have always said that not EVERY single young person was like that. In fact I have said numerous times that you can tell someone who had been raised differently. We have had some really great young people over the years. But the majority of the them have been on the lazy, rude side.

Ok, you are right you didn't say every single young person was like that, just 99% of them.

That is NOT the experience I have had with the younger generation. 99% of them are lazy, rude, and disrespectful of anyone that does not think JUST like them. They are fast to bash someone who has a difference of opinion then them all the while acting as if they know exactly how the world works. They will come right out and say that they don't want to work but they just want the money, as if we are Mom and Dad handing it out. They will do just the very bare minimum and this is with constant supervision and reminders. When we where that age and working, we were trusted to work on our own without someone standing over us the whole time. We did the job and did it well otherwise we would not have a job. They argue with the supervisors as if a job was a democracy. Plus one of the worst things is the total lack of respect to the older generation that has been doing the job longer then they have been alive. They come in and act as if we are the stupid ones and they know better. What a joke!

I have been giving examples of how I have seen people behave, that is all. I fully blame their upbringing for it. I wish I could call their parents in and show them videos of how their kids act. But honestly once the kid is that old and at that level the parents refuse to see it because they created that.
I agree that you've mentioned parenting but you've also mentioned quite a bit about teens in general (who are actually not millennials). I'll be honest I'm so not sure why you linked that video because it negates a lot of what you've mentioned in your previous comments-could be my viewpoint IDK so I'm not saying I'm right just how I'm viewing it. Now granted the video is more focused on the corporate world but there's a lot about our society as a whole.

We are telling you that TEENS are generally perceived as lazy, disrespectful, full of angst, and lacking morals (including work ethic). This has been true over time. (It isn't just millennials)

It's the equivalent of saying, "Babies nowadays cry whenever they feel like it and don't sleep all night. My children slept through the night!" Maybe your children did sleep through the night, but new babies have always cried. It's part of how the human brain develops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter