"Redd" Joins The Pirates

This looks really cool! I liked the old scene, but this is pretty neat. I like that they made her a pirate. I'm also glad I picked up my red head t-shirt when I was there in October, as I'm assuming they'll stop selling it. I'm sure they'll come out with some new merch for her though.

*sigh* I don't like it. Not because of changing Red to a pirate, and not because I can't live with PC taking over. It's the whole idea of pirates auctioning things to each other. It's *stupid*. Who ever heard of pirates looting, pillaging and having a swap meet? I realize that the ride is supposed to be fun, not historically accurate, but it is impossible to suspend disbelief over such a ridiculous idea. They should have taken out the whole auction angle. They could have taken down the auction banner and changed the dialogue to reflect that the townsfolk were being forced to drag out their prized possessions for the pirates to take back to the ships. That would have been believable.

*sigh* I don't like it. Not because of changing Red to a pirate, and not because I can't live with PC taking over. It's the whole idea of pirates auctioning things to each other. It's *stupid*. Who ever heard of pirates looting, pillaging and having a swap meet? I realize that the ride is supposed to be fun, not historically accurate, but it is impossible to suspend disbelief over such a ridiculous idea. They should have taken out the whole auction angle. They could have taken down the auction banner and changed the dialogue to reflect that the townsfolk were being forced to drag out their prized possessions for the pirates to take back to the ships. That would have been believable.
So then you had the same problem with the original scene? Because in that one they were also holding an auction, just of people...

So then you had the same problem with the original scene? Because in that one they were also holding an auction, just of people...

No, because that was more realistic. The 'auctioneer' looked to be a captain or officer, and I always assumed that he was doing it as a way to keep the pirates from fighting over the women. Who is going to fight over a chicken or grandfather clock?

How bout we think about it this way.

We got a brand new really cool looking and SMOOTH animatronic! Seriously can we give some credit there? Animatronicsaresocool.

"Brand new" ......... maybe not ;). But new to Pirates.

I rode today.

They did a good job with her mechanics for sure.

I was disappointed they didn't own the change ... and kept her in a dress. Most historical women pirates wore pants.

I thought the scene made no sense. Pirates auctioning for housewares makes no sense. Some of the dialog made no sense.

They should have just started over and just changed the scene to a new story.

The ride has become over time a disjointed story ... well there is no story anymore.

PotC seemed to be phasing out the mermaids for a while. I was last there about a year and a half back and they didn't seem to have the projections going and maybe not even the mermaid song playing.

the water effects were only working for a short period, they haven't been there for a while.

Probably nothing really to it that they removed the mermaid skeleton - did make me wonder if they have plans for mermaids going forward in the films or something

the water effects were only working for a short period, they haven't been there for a while.

Probably nothing really to it that they removed the mermaid skeleton - did make me wonder if they have plans for mermaids going forward in the films or something

Maybe men were offended by the Mer"maids" and they decided to remove the effects?

Disney made the decision - I don't know of any formal protests or anything like that ... but I think it is realistic to think they made the change now to be proactive in light of the #metoo movement and the like

I rode POTC today, and it’s still a great ride, but I’m so confused.

I always thought of the ride as a fantasy story that makes no difference to the real world, but for those who take it seriously and wanted to see change . .

It’s PC to change an innocent female victim into a thieving, violent criminal?

What an honor to womankind! :confused:

I rode POTC today, and it’s still a great ride, but I’m so confused.

I always thought of the ride as a fantasy story that makes no difference to the real world, but for those who take it seriously and wanted to see change . .

It’s PC to change an innocent female victim into a thieving, violent criminal?

What an honor to womankind! :confused:

well, the idea is to change something that "celebrates" or positions as something with jokes and funny dialogue that involves human trafficking (which is a real problem in the real world today and upset many guests)

so the idea is to change the female from a victim to someone in more of a position of power

I've said I don't think it *needed* to change (it is pirates, they do bad things) but also don't think it *needed* to stay the same. I think it has changed to a different scene that can still be enjoyed and if it makes it a more positive experience to a number of guests then that is a net positive

We rode it on Tuesday. I have to say that the ride is still a classic Disney ride even with this change. It is only one scene and it didn't lessen my enjoyment of it at all. You blink a few times and you are already passed that show scene. I would think that more purists would have an issue with interjecting the IP throughout the ride (i.e. Jack Sparrow). And I am no purist, just making an observation.

well, the idea is to change something that "celebrates" or positions as something with jokes and funny dialogue that involves human trafficking (which is a real problem in the real world today and upset many guests)

Trafficking is certainly a horrible thing. It’s just odd to me that would people would be upset that she was being trafficked but ok with the fact that she has now become a trafficker.

Maybe as long as they can’t see it they are ok with it. . .

The entire ride actually celebrates violent criminals. The new scene depicts the results of violent robbery. Maybe that’s not as bad as trafficking??

The end of SDMT depicts child abuse/attempted murder. I wonder if people would like to see a change with Snow White lying in wait for the witch with a large rock in hand.

HM depicts mariticide.

Disney stories can be dark.

People are just funny with how they choose a certain cause and ignore others.

We rode it on Tuesday. I have to say that the ride is still a classic Disney ride even with this change. It is only one scene and it didn't lessen my enjoyment of it at all. You blink a few times and you are already passed that show scene. I would think that more purists would have an issue with interjecting the IP throughout the ride (i.e. Jack Sparrow). And I am no purist, just making an observation.
The IP injection is definitely a bigger issue. Honestly the original jack sparrow stuff was fine, but the junk with the mermaids and Blackbeard (glad to hear the mermaids are gone) was a bit much in my book

Trafficking is certainly a horrible thing. It’s just odd to me that would people would be upset that she was being trafficked but ok with the fact that she has now become a trafficker.

The entire ride actually celebrates violent criminals. The new scene depicts the results of violent robbery. Maybe that’s not as bad as trafficking??

The end of SDMT depicts child abuse/attempted murder. I wonder if people would like to see a change with Snow White lying in wait for the witch with a large rock in hand.

HM depicts mariticide.

I get where you’re coming from because some of the older Disney stories (peter pan sticks out to me) involve a lot of controversial/offensive depictions of people or situations.

I guess it’s more of a case by case basis. They saw a way to change a scene without destroying the entire story (which is what the haunted mansion stuff would do) and they did it. The red head changes dont change this ride for me, even if the scene didn’t bother me either way

HM depicts mariticide.

I agree - and that is one issue/challenge - when you change one things that opens up everything to be changed (heck, gun control is such a big issue now but they still have all the guns in Pirates - do they need to change that?)

I do think women's rights and the #metoo movement is such a big thing right now (and rightly so) that a lot of focus is on it - and selling female slaves is such an extreme contrast to what is going on I can understand why they changed it and why it is a bit different than some of the other things you point out

I do wonder if part of the issue is that with the movies and Johnny Depps character it sort of spun pirates into being heros and fun and someone to root for vs just the "bad guys"

And a lot of purists didn’t like the IP add.

The IP injection is definitely a bigger issue. Honestly the original jack sparrow stuff was fine, but the junk with the mermaids and Blackbeard (glad to hear the mermaids are gone) was a bit much in my book

What were these mermaids? I only remember the skeleton. Was this a new thing they snatched back?

What were these mermaids? I only remember the skeleton. Was this a new thing they snatched back?
I think they were removed pretty early on but it was supposed to be some effect in the water? (Can someone explain this better? Was it a anitmatronic in the water? Or some trick with the lighting?) Every time I went on I tried looking for it but I never saw it.

I think they were removed pretty early on but it was supposed to be some effect in the water? (Can someone explain this better? Was it a anitmatronic in the water? Or some trick with the lighting?) Every time I went on I tried looking for it but I never saw it.
It was a lighting trick. They were not always on which is why it was hit or miss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter