Refund on OTU points?

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
Saw the dates and immediately cancelled our July 5-11 trip. (I want to cry).

I had used OTU points for this reservation. Are they refunded automatically when I cancelled the reservation?

Still want to cry.

No, they are refunded upon request. Or you could use them before the end of your UY.

No.... I cancelled June 29 - July 3 last week and they would not refund my OTU points. I hope you have better luck..I left them and hope to call back and get them refunded.

Edit: please report back your experience if you don't mind.

The resorts are open at the end of June. They are also speculating dvc previews for the parks. You might could still go.

We had a reservation for early May, using OTUP. I cancelled it 4 days before Disney would've canceled it anyway. At the time of cancellation, I was told they could not refund the OTUP at that time. I was told to call back after the date Disney would've canceled the reservation, and they would be able to refund them then. I called back 5 days later and they processed the refund without question.

I was told at that time, that they were only refunding OTUP if the reservation was in the official cancellation window. Given that the DVC resorts will be open during your reservation, I highly doubt they will refund the OTUP. But it never hurts to ask nicely.

Steve

they were refunding them for canceled reservations as of that email Terry sent on the 24th of April

Only if reservations fell during an actual closure. So, at this point, OTU points should be refunded for all trips prior to June 22nd For WDW, and June 15th for VB and HH After that, regular rules apply.

Now, since Aulani and VGC are not yet open, those I would assume will be refunded if they are part of closure dates.

Just wanted to add that I called this morning to cancel a June 11 reservation that had one time use points. They were refunded with absolutely no questions! I didn’t even have to ask!

I had to cancel our April trip and I called and they fully refunded my OTU points with no questions. I would keep calling until you get the right person. I had honestly forgot I had even purchased OTU points because it was so long ago. The rep was the one that told me about it and told me she was refunding them.

Just wanted to add that I called this morning to cancel a June 11 reservation that had one time use points. They were refunded with absolutely no questions! I didn’t even have to ask!
The resorts are not open yet June 11th, that is the difference. I had the same issue with mine, before the parks open, but after the resort opens. They would not refund, but they did re-allocate to my September reservation and gave those points back.

The resorts are not open yet June 11th, that is the difference. I had the same issue with mine, before the parks open, but after the resort opens. They would not refund, but they did re-allocate to my September reservation and gave those points back.

We moved our June 14 trip to December. Since we did this in April, we were 8 months out from our December reservation. Our one time use points couldn't be used until 7 months out (normal rules), but we were able to use them right at the 7 month mark in May to add a day to our December reservation.

Since we did the cancelling well before anyone knew if the resort would be open for our June dates, we were under normal rules of one time use points having to be used in the use year in which they were purchased.

No.... I cancelled June 29 - July 3 last week and they would not refund my OTU points. I hope you have better luck..I left them and hope to call back and get them refunded.

Edit: please report back your experience if you don't mind.
They refunded my OTU points back to my debit card. I had purchased 20 or our May 23-29 trip at CC

Just an update - I emailed MS since I can’t get through on the phone. They responded - they won’t reallocate the OTU points from my July 5-11 trip to an existing reservation booked at 11 months. They didn’t offer to refund them.

Looks like I have to use or lose them.

I was tentatively planning on taking DD3 in early March, just me and her. Other option is Memorial Day, though that’s right at the end of the use year. Ugh. I was wanting to use them on a standard Jambo studio, so the upside is I should be able to apply them at the 7 month mark.

Just an update - I emailed MS since I can’t get through on the phone. They responded - they won’t reallocate the OTU points from my July 5-11 trip to an existing reservation booked at 11 months. They didn’t offer to refund them.

Looks like I have to use or lose them.

I was tentatively planning on taking DD3 in early March, just me and her. Other option is Memorial Day, though that’s right at the end of the use year. Ugh. I was wanting to use them on a standard Jambo studio, so the upside is I should be able to apply them at the 7 month mark.
We have also had points stolen (147 in our case).... and there is another option: RENT THEM OUT. This Site DOES have a very good DVC Rental area.

OTU points cant be banked, borrowed, or transferred. And I don’t think they are worth trying to rent On their own. I’m just going to firm up another vacation.

So the email from DVC said call to use the OTU points. But every time I call I get a busy signal.

It's frustrating. I might be able to use them on an existing reservation that is now in the 7 month mark, but since I can only adjust them on the phone, I have to get through. If I wait, availability might be gone. I don't mind the rules, but really, DVC, I've got to be able to CALL YOU.

(End rant).

So the email from DVC said call to use the OTU points. But every time I call I get a busy signal.

It's frustrating. I might be able to use them on an existing reservation that is now in the 7 month mark, but since I can only adjust them on the phone, I have to get through. If I wait, availability might be gone. I don't mind the rules, but really, DVC, I've got to be able to CALL YOU.

(End rant).

I am so sorry. If the reservation was not booked at 7 months or less you can’t swap OTU into it.

I had luck yesterday calling in right at 9:00 am but did have a 50 minute wait.

I am so sorry. If the reservation was not booked at 7 months or less you can’t swap OTU into it.
A little over a week ago I called to cancel an early August reservation that had OTU points in it. Without me asking, the CM offered to reallocate them into my December value studio which was booked right at the 11 month mark. I was surprised, too, but very pleased. It's all just "luck of the draw" when you call MS.

A little over a week ago I called to cancel an early August reservation that had OTU points in it. Without me asking, the CM offered to reallocate them into my December value studio which was booked right at the 11 month mark. I was surprised, too, but very pleased. It's all just "luck of the draw" when you call MS.

Happy for you but that is not something that should be inconsistent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter