Rembering the PeopleMover

mshrm said:
What was the name of the ride that had the big eye ball staring at you in the end? That was another one that was nice and cool with a fast line.

Something like "adventure through inner space", Cant remember for sure but it was replaced by Star Tours.

I miss the People Mover. I remember as a kid I loved getting a "bird's-eye view" of the park.

Okay, I don't remember the name of it because I was just a kid, but my brother and I loved the ride where it supposedly shrinks you to a tiny size for travel and exploring - what the heck was that ride called?

Anyway, it was one of our favorites! :sunny:

The People Mover bored me when I was a kid, but I rode it at WDW in September and loved it. It's a great break from the crowds, heat, and walking.

I also remember the SkyWay---and it stopping mid-air for several minutes! I loved when it went through the Matterhorn. One thing that I did not like about the SkyWay is that it provided a view of areas beyond the park. Who wants to see the freeway when you're at Disneyland? I love Disneyland precisely because it seems like a fantasy land cut off from the rest of the world and the view from the SkyWay popped a hole into that illusion.

As for the Rocket Rods, I liked them. I was surprised at the short lifespan of that attraction.

I totally miss the People Mover. Its one of those rides that you dont think "man, I got to ride it" But it was always enjoyable. My fave part about it was the "TRON" section. I was really happy when we were able to ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority.....cousin of People Mover. It had been so long since I had rode People Mover I almost forgot how relaxing and enjoyable it actually was. I miss it and wish they would bring it back.

the cool thing about the people move was when it broke down!!!!! me and my brother got some really cool INSIDE sights, course back then we didn't bother with camera's but it was pretty cool!

Am I the only one who has NO CLUE what the People Mover is/was? I've read other posts mentioning it, also lamenting its absence, actually.

Does anyone have a picture?

i grew up on the people mover. . it was basically a mini train like vehicle that moved around, you saw the inside of the area where the people used to sit to wait for circlevisoin, the inside of the beginning off mission through innerspace, some of the space mountain track, they had a couple filmways, where you go through a tunnel of film on each side, one was a motorcyle and forget the other,, then you went through the area where the autopia is and slowly make your way back into tomorrowland.

my scanner does not work, or I would send one of the pics i have of a bunch of us on before they closed it . . . there is a site though . . . give me a few

Hmmm... Hard to tell what it was really like from that description. Guess you had to be there! Thanks for providing the link. :)

I did not have a chance to see all the things people have mentioned here since I didn't go to DL until a few years ago and in my early 30's. However, DH grew up in the Anaheim area and said several times how much he misses the Peoplemovers, Voyage to Inner Space, the Country Bears, and Amreica Sings. Everytime we ride Splash Mtn, he points out the characters that have been moved there from AS and sings the song they sang.

I totally miss the People Mover. I have to ride TTA at WDW a few times every time we go to get a 'fix.' And Tomorrowland NEEDS it back- it's been so lame the last few years. They got back on track a bit with Buzz and now the Subs coming back, but come on- BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will add that sense of excitement and movement that Tomorrowland used to have, but now sorely lacks. I just remember as a teen how Tomorrowland was the COOLEST land because it had SO MANY attractions! I will say that when we were there in June, we walked in Tomorrowland to take a seat to watch the fireworks and a pumpin band was playing in the Tomorrowland Terrace stage- I felt like I was 17 again there for a second. It was a neat feeling!

Alex2kMommy said:
Am I the only one who has NO CLUE what the People Mover is/was? I've read other posts mentioning it, also lamenting its absence, actually.

Does anyone have a picture?

It was a nice relaxing kick-back overview of TL. It had 'cheesy' 60s 'jazz' music.Originally it was sponsored by Goodyear. Small tires/wheels were inbedded in the track that pushed the cars along.
IMHO in this world of,thrill me,kill me, make me hurl rides,it was NOT to be missed. :thumbsup2

alway will remember as a little kid getting scared when the people mover went through the heart of space mountain. you could see the sun and the rockets whoohing around it. as a little kid thats as close as i wanted to get to SM

I LOVED the PeopleMover as a kid! Wish they would brin git back- especially since the Rocket Rods didn't last long (though they were pretty cool when they ran!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter