RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

@Teamubr 2021. We don’t plan that far in advance and hoping to move it up in Jan 2022 for marathon weekend. I am expecting 2022 to be jan 2 to 15 Ish.

We’re going to get the fire started over here around 7:45/8. Y’all come over for s’mores and refreshments.

We got off of the ride with 2 minutes to make our lunch reservation at 50's Prime Time. Lunch was good, DW had the sampler, I had the chicken and we shared an order of onion rings.

Chris,
How was 50's Prime Time? I've seen some reviews that it's gone downhill a lot recently. The food isn't blow your socks off, but we always enjoyed the shtick. One of our favorite table services with the kids.

Piggybacking on Teamubr's post above:

Conversations are occuring in multiple directions. Other FW camper ride/walk by and engage in more conversations.

This is why we come and camp in person. For the activities after the parks close....

Ed

Ok we did not jump on the oct 1 2021 ressie bandwagon but did decide we love the fort and missing the marathon weekend. Booked a full hook up forJan 24 till feb 6. Figure we will still be on COVID work from home so will work from fort.
So with a little Luck I can bring SKY over to visit her friend. We are debating if we will keep, shorten, or cancel our Jan to Feb reservation as so much of what we look forward to has been suspended.
Might hang on till 26 Jan as we are planning 3 or 4 visits to Universal ( Annual Pass good for 15 months with free parking made it a good investment we hope)
Plus my friend and his wife might need accommodations for 2 or 3 nights if they decide to check out trailers in the TAMPA area in Jan.

Dinner was at Paddlefish this evening. Forgot to get pics but food was fantastic. Stopped by World of Disney. Among other things I picked up two puzzles for home. A Thomas Kincade and Darren Wilson.
20201015_220353.jpg

Tomorrow is down day thank Lord. We do have horseback riding in the morning but outside of that nothing else. I've missed out on the social gathering this week but kids have had a great time so it was worth it.

Last edited:
First day here we ran over to the 1100 loop to meet the gang from the DIS forum. Checked out some other loops then went home, had dinner and conked out early.
Yesterday, spent most of the day at the quiet pool.
Had dinner at Whispering Canyon- Wilderness Lodge. Got back and headed to the 1100 loop again. Got a chance too hook up with the gang there again. What a great fun bunch of people!
Went home and sprayed deep woods off on exposed areas then back out to see the decorations.
The wife wants to try the gondolas so we're going to head over after lunch.

So where was I? :scratchin

Oh yeah, let's pick up where I left off and go from there. :banana:

So Wednesday night after the turkeys had walked through my campsite, a bunch of us went to dinner at Wilderness Lodge's Geyser Point Restaurant via bus. It's a table service restaurant/bar with a limited menu. It's an open air pavilion style covered place but does not accept advanced dining reservations. It was at night and the pictures didn't turn out too well due to low light but I will show my Bison Cheeseburger:

20201014_204839.jpg

and DW's BBQ Brisket Dip with Homemade Chips off the appetizer menu:

20201014_204814.jpg

My burger was juicy and good. It was the @garneska, @Teamubr, @bama_ed, @tigger92662, and @Bishoparc groups (total of 12 folks) btw. We had to split between two tables understanably.

Our next day, Thursday, was Magic Kingdom day and our first (and only) one on this trip. Up and rolling out on the bikes to the boat dock at 745am.

20201015_072454.jpg

We got down there and locked up our bikes but the line was already pretty long (a few minutes before 8am for a 9am rope drop). So I decided to walk up to the Settlement Bus Depot and check out its queue size - it was only one other family so easy decision.

20201015_075815.jpg

DW liked that they had a big bottle of mosquito juice available at the Settlement Bus Depot in addition to hand sanitizer.

20201015_080400.jpg

The big boat is timed to get you to the MK a few minutes before rope drop time 9am. The bus, I learned, is designed to get you to the MK no sooner than 830am.

I was told, and do believe, that there is currently only 1 BOAT working between the MK and the FW dock and only 1 BUS working that road run as well. They will only accept about 50% of SEATED capacity. What that means is if you are further back in the line and don't make it onto that boat/bus, you have to wait for it to make a FULL ROUND TRIP to get on and ride over. THAT'S WHY I chose the bus. Not because I preferred it but because I was in the first "boarding group" and probably wouldn't have been on the boat. Our bus had 32 seats and we took 16 people (and no standing allowed).

The bus let us out and we had to go through the first of our three checkpoints. Temperature screening, then the bag check, and finally the ticket/magic band gate (no finger required). Folks were converging on the MK from all directions.

20201015_084244.jpg

20201015_084412.jpg

and us on the bus.

The temp screening for the bus was our longest checkpoint. There was one for each long bus shed.

20201015_084235.jpg

We made it through the ticket turnstyle at 847am. The crowds were blessedly low at that point of the morning.

20201015_084812.jpg

Let's roll to the next post.

Bama Ed

We walked right up Main Street USA and were headed for Peter Pan. I previously posted our picture of the castle. (new colors are "eh"). PP was a walkon through the long queue scene. Small World was the same across the way. Down the hill Haunted Mansion was also walkon and walk through the stretching room (that first part of the show was skipped although there was some audio re-used in the foyer and stretch room).

20201015_092902.jpg

Wait times were starting to grow by that time and PoC and Jungle Cruise both became 40-45 minute waits.

20201015_102637.jpg

The queuing is different now in these pandemic times. For PoC, no back and forth lines are right next to each other but spread apart. Tape placed on the ground in a long line indicates where to wait with social distancing built in. The end of the line for PoC was outside the restroom area next to the PoC gift shop (and had extended down into Frontierland toward Pecos Bills the previous day). It went outside all the way down to Jungle Cruise, then came back toward the entrance, and then entered under the PoC portico where the same rules applied. The line moved smoothly almost walking at times.

20201015_105655.jpg

Good ol' Pirates - it and HM are my two favorites in MK.

After Jungle Cruise we had time to make a showing of Country Bears before lunch.

20201015_114724.jpg

Love me some Country Bears.

On the way out of the show some of the Bears were on the upper balcony of Grizzly Hall waving at us socially distanced humans down below.

20201015_115259.jpg

20201015_122612.jpg

We had time to go close to Jungle Skipper Cantina. I know I had been 2x-3x before but this was DW's first time.

20201015_132942.jpg

Like the other restaurants around property, the menu here is pared down. One pork, chicken, beef, and fish entree. Veggie stew and Thai noodles are the vegetarian offerings.

20201015_123853.jpg

We both chose the pork dish with the seasonal veggie being bok choy. Anybody notice anything?

20201015_125355.jpg

The ball of rice in the middle was served up with an ice cream scoop-type thing. Plop. At least TRY to make the served dish appear appealing. Spread the rice around some..... They did what was easy for them rather than what was nice for me. I.Noticed.This.Because.I.Am.A.Food.Konosewr. :rolleyes:

Rolling to the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
After lunch we crossed over Main Street to tour the other side of the park. There are some Halloween decorations up.

20201015_134127.jpg

We rode Buzz Lightyear (after waiting in line in place for 20 minutes while they ran every car through the ride sanitizing them as they went). Carousel of Progress was next and then the Pooh Ride. By this time it was 330pm and the park closing time was 6pm. The only other ride we wanted to do was 7DMT and the line, although spread out and socially distanced, wrapped around the rock mountain to the right and just kept curling back toward the Mermaid ride. No way.

I did something I have NEVER done before. I called it quits for the day and headed for the exit - I have never left 2.5hrs before closing. The mask outside made me hot (I took it off on the actual rides for PP, HM, PoC, Buzz, and Pooh) but having it off in the rides where I could made the day a little better.

We left Pooh through the castle and not a lot of people were in view.

20201015_151541.jpg

A look over my shoulder at the castle.

20201015_151617.jpg

On the way out we wanted to browse the Emporium which we typically do last thing at MK. Certain doorways to Emporium are closed off (to Casey's) or designated as ENTRANCE or EXIT and don't confuse the two. They were counting how many went in/out and limiting the number (of course once inside people went where they wanted to). But we had to stop and queue outside at marked spots with tape on the sidewalk to wait until enough people left to let us in to browse. Seriously no fun.

A FW boat was just pushing back from the MK dock as we exited and I didn't want to wait for it to make a return trip to pick us up so we chose the bus again to take us back.

20201015_153050.jpg

We got back to the Fort at the Settlement Depot, got on our bikes, and swung by the Meadow TP. Outside they had the Halloween schedule of activities.

20201015_160616.jpg

I finally got to meet Stratman50th (Don) in person with his lovely DW in our loop later that afternoon and it was nice to make his acquaintance. Then we made a run to Winn Dixe to supplement what we needed to get us through the last few days, had some dinner, and then sat outside at Arc's site again with everyone and listened/talked. He had a campfire going and s'mores fixings out. I did participate. Oh and PaHunter gave me recommendations on some RV parks around Gettysburg that he's familiar with.

Friday (this) morning we resumed the Haunted Mansion puzzle that we had started on the previous day while DW and I were at MK. This is how far they had gotten.

20201016_094214.jpg

It's tough because many of the edge piece are just jet black so the strategy was to build the little vignettes and then work with what was left. By 930am we called it quits and had 8 of us there (although all not puzzling) because for several people this was mostly a down day and the last day before going home tomorrow. So there was packing to be done today for several (it's a sad thing to prepare to leave Fort Wilderness). But we had errands to run and before we closed up the puzzle that morning I said we are going to do our darnedest to finish it by working this after noon and even in the morning. This photo shows some progress.

20201016_105154.jpg

I'm the only one in 1100 who is leaving on Sunday morning and everyone else (who hasn't already left) is heading out tomorrow (Saturday). So I will be the one to turn out the lights on the "Rendezvous at the Fort" DISMeet. Stratman50th is here for a few more days but he's in a different loop.

One errand today was to go visit the WDW Golf Resort over by the Poly next to Shades of Green to get some golf apparel. I had looked at the outlet stores, WoD and the rest of Disney Springs, and the Emporium for a "Golfing Mickey" golf shirt. I used to see them everywhere and anywhere but this trip I was having no luck. Then we talked to a CM who suggested the golf course ("where do you buy a golf shirt? At the golf course. Duh, Ed"). So we headed over there and the security guy let us in to spend money in the Pro Shop.

I've never been over to the golf center and it looked really nice.

20201016_111504.jpg

Not all the golf carts are like this one but wouldn't this be great to cruise around the Fort in?

20201016_111532.jpg

We found plenty of what we were looking for to choose from in apparel so mission accomplished.

On the way back to our site, we stopped at the Meadow TP for ice for the outside cooler. A Disney six-seat golf cart was there and I got a photo:

20201016_115117.jpg

That means this trip report has proof of a Disney 6-seater and an outside 6-seater - they both do exist.

Almost caught up - let's keep rolling (DW is taking a nap as I type this so I have time).

Bama Ed

PS - looking at the Halloween activities, it's clear (and verbal word from Fort personnel) is that Disney intends to prevent trick or treating. And to prevent people from coming to the Fort if they are not a registered Fort guest. Even though it has always been offered "by campers for campers" and not run by Disney, they intend to employ a heavy hand this year. There are safe, acceptable ways to maintain social distancing and use common sense while ToT but that's not them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter