Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

Would DVC ever lift the restriction from purchasers of the original 14 DVC resorts so they could stay at RIV without lifting the restriction on resold RIV contracts? The change to waviers could be promising for O14 resale purchasers but I am concerned if they would still restrict RIV resale contracts. I am still within my withdrawal period for my direct RIV contract so trying to find out more info before that runs out!
I’m in a similar position - I’ve just bought direct with the “access to all resorts” condition the main driver for going direct - if I thought I could have used resale points at Riv I’d have purchased resale. I too am still in 14 day cancellation period so hoping for some clarity ASAP.

I’m in a similar position - I’ve just bought direct with the “access to all resorts” condition the main driver for going direct - if I thought I could have used resale points at Riv I’d have purchased resale. I too am still in 14 day cancellation period so hoping for some clarity ASAP.
I hear you on this, too! I purchased some direct points largely for this reason, to be able to use them at RIV and future resorts.

Some others have mentioned that we may see changes tomorrow or over the weekend as Disney starts a new fiscal year.

Don’t we think that DVC extended expired Covid points by using RIV inventory? I’m assuming that was done with undeclared points?

No, it would be done with points declared but not yet sold, Right now, RIV is about 35% declared...meaning 35% of the rooms can be booked with points,

But, only about 22% of those points are sold. The remaining 13% are owned by DVC which is what would have been used to help out,

Undeclared units can not be used by the membership in anyway. So, those could not have been booked using points.

"at this time" is the key phrase there. Tomorrow is another day, and maybe another story.
I know I don’t feel any clearer on the matter and considering we have a couple of days to withdraw from the purchase I actually am considering it just for the worry that they do allow resale contracts to be used at RIV (fab for resale market don’t get me wrong) but don’t undo the restrictions on reselling RIV because then any small resale it would have had for resale purchasers who wanted to be able to stay at RIV would well and truly be out of the window.

Is there a 14 day cancellation period? I thought it was 10.

I’m in the same position also.

I know I don’t feel any clearer on the matter and considering we have a couple of days to withdraw from the purchase I actually am considering it just for the worry that they do allow resale contracts to be used at RIV (fab for resale market don’t get me wrong) but don’t undo the restrictions on reselling RIV because they any small resale it would have had for resale purchasers who wanted to be able to stay at RIV would well and truly be out of the window.

Like I said, the language that was shared, if it is meant to be lifting restrictions, lifts them both ways. It does not differentiate between buying RIV vs one of the 16 resorts.

You can only get to 16 if RIV is included.

I have only just had my Resale AKL contract pass ROFR at the beginning of this month, I can’t see where it mentions this at all, can someone point me where I should be looking? I’m also concerned if they are splitting AKL up if we will be restricted to only book 11 months out from at one of them only...

I know I don’t feel any clearer on the matter and considering we have a couple of days to withdraw from the purchase I actually am considering it just for the worry that they do allow resale contracts to be used at RIV (fab for resale market don’t get me wrong) but don’t undo the restrictions on reselling RIV because then any small resale it would have had for resale purchasers who wanted to be able to stay at RIV would well and truly be out of the window.
I can't think of any reason why they might do this. It only serves to hurt the premiere resort they're currently selling.

If this rumor turns out to be true, there would be a very small window of opportunity to purchase RIV resale at a reasonable price as the price will undoubtedly go up with lifting of the resale restriction. I will bet the difference in resale vs. direct (with incentives) prices at RIV will likely end up not hurting direct sales that much as PVB & CCV (and few others before them) sold out without such restriction. In some ways, I think this change will end up providing at least a short-term boost in direct sales at RIV.

LAX

But they can not use the 65% of RIV that is undeclared and not sold for points stays, It has to be declared into the membership to do that,.

Once it does, then DVD no longer can rent them for cash in the same way they can now, It would be subject to the 60 day breakage rule.

That Would make no sense from a financial standpoint as they are using RIV rooms to compensate for WDW hotels not open yet.

In normal course of business I would agree with you. But how many rooms at those crazy rates (even discounted 25-30%) are they really selling? You’re talking about $400-500 a night for a studio after a 30% discount, and forget the other room categories. I believe Pete has mentioned on the DVC show previously that it sold poorly at his travel agency.

Especially given the capacity limits in the parks for the foreseeable future, they don’t need nearly all 36,000+ hotel rooms on property. I think it could be a good way for them to solve the point glut (even though it doesn’t benefit them financially).

Two things that don’t make sense to me.

1.Where does the California Tower fall here? Is that now the start of new? Seems to me that having Riviera and California as the new shiny toys would be a good start.

2.Wouldn’t this push more people to resale and not direct? As a Riviera owner the only reason I will not buy resale is because I couldn’t use it at my home resort. If that changes then I would never buy direct again. Is there really that many members that are waiting to buy because they are worried about restrictions? If I was in the long game I still wouldn’t trust that they don’t put them right back in a few years when they get back to normal.

If the exchanges between RIV and the other 14/15 required a fee, would that have to have been included in the language of the waiver? I bet if there is a twist coming, it is an exchange fee.
That’s actually quite brilliant when you think about it. Give the owner/buyer the right to pay an upgrade fee on their RIV contract to allow for waiver of the resale restrictions.

In normal course of business I would agree with you. But how many rooms at those crazy rates (even discounted 25-30%) are they really selling? You’re talking about $400-500 a night for a studio after a 30% discount, and forget the other room categories. I believe Pete has mentioned on the DVC show previously that it sold poorly at his travel agency.

Especially given the capacity limits in the parks for the foreseeable future, they don’t need nearly all 36,000+ hotel rooms on property. I think it could be a good way for them to solve the point glut (even though it doesn’t benefit them financially).

The point is that there are legal reasons for how it has to happen. Once DVD declares the rooms, then they could end up having to cover more overages in operational costs for the points declared and not yet sold. DVD, once the budget is set, agrees to cover costs above the projected expenses in lieu of not paying dues on their points owned..

As I said, with other deluxe resorts shut down, RIV rooms being available for cash, even moves, makes sense for WDPR.

It makes no logical sense for DVD, when they are struggling, with giving up potential income for potential costs,

As long as they are not declared, they have they control them, Not seeing how declaring them helps in anyway and they can certainly offer them for discounts for cash to DVC members, like the current offer that just came out. It says that one can call and get a deal.

Last year, they offered RIV at a 40% discount to general public as well,

Like I said, they don’t need to declare more rooms to change the restrictions and the point glut isn’t really DVDs problem.,,sales and cash is. They are laying off people so giving up potential income doesn’t seem plausible,

Again, you have people booked into 2021 at WDW hotels that are not yet opening. if they are moved to RIV, even as a free upgrade, WDPR gets money.

My waiver has the language re: 16 DVC sites, and does not have the language excluding Riviera. I passed ROFR in late Aug

Where about’s does it say this in the contracts? We just passed ROFR on the 9/17 and I can’t find it in the contracts, is this something we get after closing? We have just had the title documents signed this week too and it’s not mentioned in them either. The closest I can find anywhere the below:

‘9A. Members purchasing their Ownership Interest in any DVC Resort from a person or entity other than directly from DVC shall not be able to use the Vacation Points associated with that Ownership Interest for reservations or stays through the Incidental Benefits known as the Adventures Collection, Concierge Collection or The Disney Collection. Further, as of April 4, 2016, you will not have access to other Disney Vacation Club incidental benefits (also known as Membership Extras) such as Member discounts on dining, shopping, Member-exclusive events, and certain special Member offers. Do not purchase your Ownership Interest in reliance on your ability to transfer these products, services and Incidental Benefits’

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter