Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

Where about’s does it say this in the contracts? We just passed ROFR on the 9/17 and I can’t find it in the contracts, is this something we get after closing? We have just had the title documents signed this week too and it’s not mentioned in them either. The closest I can find anywhere the below:

‘9A. Members purchasing their Ownership Interest in any DVC Resort from a person or entity other than directly from DVC shall not be able to use the Vacation Points associated with that Ownership Interest for reservations or stays through the Incidental Benefits known as the Adventures Collection, Concierge Collection or The Disney Collection. Further, as of April 4, 2016, you will not have access to other Disney Vacation Club incidental benefits (also known as Membership Extras) such as Member discounts on dining, shopping, Member-exclusive events, and certain special Member offers. Do not purchase your Ownership Interest in reliance on your ability to transfer these products, services and Incidental Benefits’

It is in some of the ROFR waiver documents people are getting.

Where about’s does it say this in the contracts? We just passed ROFR on the 9/17 and I can’t find it in the contracts, is this something we get after closing? We have just had the title documents signed this week too and it’s not mentioned in them either. The closest I can find anywhere the below:

‘9A. Members purchasing their Ownership Interest in any DVC Resort from a person or entity other than directly from DVC shall not be able to use the Vacation Points associated with that Ownership Interest for reservations or stays through the Incidental Benefits known as the Adventures Collection, Concierge Collection or The Disney Collection. Further, as of April 4, 2016, you will not have access to other Disney Vacation Club incidental benefits (also known as Membership Extras) such as Member discounts on dining, shopping, Member-exclusive events, and certain special Member offers. Do not purchase your Ownership Interest in reliance on your ability to transfer these products, services and Incidental Benefits’

it wasn’t 16 in my initial agreement (late July) but it WAS noted to be 16 locations in the ROFR waiver that Disney sends when they waive ROFR (late August) 🤷🏻‍♀️

That’s actually quite brilliant when you think about it. Give the owner/buyer the right to pay an upgrade fee on their RIV contract to allow for waiver of the resale restrictions.

We had many discussions about this on here last year and one of the things I learned was that other timeshares already do this. For example, when you buy a Marriott TS resale apparently they are heavily restricted and you can pay Marriott a hefty fee to "qualify" the points for all benefits. It really is brilliant, selling the same thing twice and having to put zero effort into that second sale.

My concern would be if they try to change AKL/AKV to being considered two different home resorts. When we bought, it was under the terms that both were one resort and we got home resort booking advantage at either one.

We didn't really have a say whether we were buying at Kidani or Jambo. It was just whichever one the contract happened to be for, and we were told it didn't matter because it was all one resort (in fact, I'm not sure you get to choose even if buying direct).

If they change to only being able to book Kidani with Kidani points at 11 months and vice versa with Jambo, that will cause quite a stir.
My guess is Jambo and Kidani are still the same for booking purposes and as mentioned earlier part or all of the rest of AKL will become DVC.

I am actually considering putting an offer in on that now. I noticed it last week when we were at WDW and my wife fell in love with RIV on a tour. This change make the resort much more attractive as both a resale and direct option.
Be aware the description of what you can do with the listing hasn’t changed yet. 😬

Be aware the description of what you can do with the listing hasn’t changed yet. 😬
Oh, I know. I am holding off until tomorrow and would plan to use the whole ten day cancellation period if I can get it at the right price to wait for an announcement. I think $145 is too high even if the they lift the restrictions given the price per point direct with discounts and DVC crediting you for closing costs plus the value of blue card benefits.

Oh, I know. I am holding off until tomorrow and would plan to use the whole ten day cancellation period if I can get it at the right price to wait for an announcement. I think $145 is too high even if the they lift the restrictions given the price per point direct with discounts and DVC crediting you for closing costs plus the value of blue card benefits.
It’s still a rumor...I wouldn’t make cash bets yet.

And yes $145 is outrageous resale restrictions or not.

Hear me out! I think I cracked the code!

RIV has almost 7 million points, and has sold maybe 20%. DVC2 is not coming. Reflections is dead. Converting RIV to the O14/O15/O16 fixes the Covid point pool problem, not just for WDW, for Aulani, for VGC also. So, they solve the obvious, looming short term problem of WAY, WAY too many points floating around -- Just use the poor sales and huge amount of vacancy at RIV!
Nah. Something like 98% of DVC points today are eligible to be used at Riviera - anything sold direct ever plus anything sold resale between 1991 and 2018.

Mighty small benefit to adding in that other ~2%

Two things that don’t make sense to me.

1.Where does the California Tower fall here? Is that now the start of new? Seems to me that having Riviera and California as the new shiny toys would be a good start.

2.Wouldn’t this push more people to resale and not direct? As a Riviera owner the only reason I will not buy resale is because I couldn’t use it at my home resort. If that changes then I would never buy direct again. Is there really that many members that are waiting to buy because they are worried about restrictions? If I was in the long game I still wouldn’t trust that they don’t put them right back in a few years when they get back to normal.
RIV is already partially mixed in with the Legacy 14 resorts. Most of all DVC points can be used there. California Tower could be the start of DVC II. Wait and see

It’s still a rumor...I wouldn’t make cash bets yet.

And yes $145 is outrageous resale restrictions or not.
I know, I know.

The big mistake I made was taking the tour of Riviera last week and now DW is set on owning RIV. Trying to find some way to make it make financial sense or convince her that another is resort is good. She has now gone from just being on board with the idea buying into DVC for the right price to now not caring about the price and resale value if we would have to sell down the line. She wants RIV. 🤦🏼‍♂️

RIV is already partially mixed in with the Legacy 14 resorts. Most of all DVC points can be used there. California Tower could be the start of DVC II. Wait and see

This is a good point. There were so many legal blunders when they wrote up everything for Riviera, that those of us who are attorneys were wondering what the heck they were doing. If they wanted to create a DVC 2 with different trading rights, IMO, then they need to make a clean break from DVC 1. It needs to be a completely separate group where those of us in DVC 1 cannot trade into it regardless of when we purchased. I’m not advocating this, but I’m stating it’s what they should do if that’s the intent.

Maybe the reference to second AKL is an intentional mistake and is being used as a placeholder for the California tower. Considering California is the last project on the known map then that could provide a clean spot to separate DVC 1 and DVC 2.

Remember that the tower does not have an official name. DVD saying 16 resorts and mistakenly listing one of them is easier to cover up as a "mistake" compared to saying 15 resorts today and 16 resorts when Cali opens, as people might then reasonably expect another change with resort 17.

thanks for that! I've never noticed that before! the top left corner of a pair of deeds ...
View attachment 529173View attachment 529174

also interesting, @wdrl pointed out Jambo deeds start with 8 and Kidani with 9

the legal interest section (near the middle of the deed's first page) is consistently Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas regardless of Jambo / Kidani ...
View attachment 529172

only other place I remember seeing a difference is in the condo notices that call out AKV and AKV2 in the file name ...
2019_Condo_Notice_AKV_AKV2.pdf

POSs are a single document for both Jambo and Kidani as are the declaration of condominium (book 9077, page 4252)
Mine doesn't show in that corner either...just Animal Kingdom Villas. Also, this is my Kidani deed starting with 8.Screenshot_20201001-012931_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

As I noted above, I am still in the mindset that the new waiver language was just someone's mistake; maybe we will be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but I would not count on it in making any purchase decisions at this time:

1. Nothing has changed in the controlling Riviera POS-related documents which declare that post mid-Jan 2019 resale purchasers of the pre-Rivera resorts cannot reserve Riviera, and Rivera resale purchasers are limited to reserving Riviera. Those would have been changed first if a change was intended.

2. It is likely whoever prepared the waiver change was someone inexperienced who just made mistakes. He creates 16 existing DVC Resorts by making Jambo and Kidani separate DVC Resorts, likely because he relied for his count on the reservation system which separates them for reserving. But the AKV POS documents clearly make AKV one DVC Resort, and legally a material change to two DVC Resorts cannot be made absent an actual vote of the members, which will never occur.

3. Though some assert there was no reason to make a change at all unless it was made with the intent to change the Rivera resale rules, there is a simpler answer. The old waiver still referred to Riviera as a "future" DVC Reesort. Most likely, all that occurred is that someone decided that needed to be changed and then the draftsman got it wrong, improperly implying a bigger change.

4. Some have expressed the disbelief that DVD could make such a major error and thus conclude the resale changes are actually intended. However, DVD has made similar errors in the past. For example, in late 2018 and Jan 2019, when the new resale rule eventually became reality, the initial announcements stated that the rule would be as it it eventually became -- that anyone who purchased the pre-Rviera resorts via a resale after mid-Jan 2019 would be prohibited from reserving Riviera. However, when DVD actually made the official change in the language for the Riviera POS-documents, it provided that the bar to resale purchasers of the original DVC Resorts to reserving Rivera applied only to those post mid-Jan 2019 resale purchasers who purchased from an owner who had not purchased from DVD i.e., any post mid-Jan 2019 purchaser who purchased from an owner who had bought from DVD would still have the right to reserve Riviera. That major error was rectified by a another modification to the Riviera POS documents. The waiver error is not even in a POS document.

Last edited:
I personally don't like Riviera a lot. I was moderately disappointed when I stayed there. I have stayed at many 'good hotels' that were BETTER than Riviera in every way, except for location. And weren't nearly as expensive. I really really REALLY wanted Riviera, before they put in their stupid restrictions, and had about $35,000 set aside in cash, to buy it. But the restrictions were the deal killer for me, and I was glad, once I stayed there.

However, despite all of that, if Riviera Restrictions are removed on the RESALE Riviera contracts, then I will probably buy some, assuming the price is decent. Why? Because it has the longest length of time to go on on the contracts, before they expire, and I want to think ahead, for my children, grand children and great grand children.

So, I guess we will see how this all shakes out, in the end.

I personally don't like Riviera a lot. I was moderately disappointed when I stayed there. I have stayed at many 'good hotels' that were BETTER than Riviera in every way, except for location. And weren't nearly as expensive. I really really REALLY wanted Riviera, before they put in their stupid restrictions, and had about $35,000 set aside in cash, to buy it. But the restrictions were the deal killer for me, and I was glad, once I stayed there.

However, despite all of that, if Riviera Restrictions are removed on the RESALE Riviera contracts, then I will probably buy some, assuming the price is decent. Why? Because it has the longest length of time to go on on the contracts, before they expire, and I want to think ahead, for my children, grand children and great grand children.

So, I guess we will see how this all shakes out, in the end.
I agree that the Riviera doesn't really appeal to me however i am hoping that if these restrictions are lifted it could ease the Studio availability issues across the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter