Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

Well lets just say AKV wasn't supposed to be broken out. Going from 14 to 16, what other way would make that happen... Adding Riv and the Disneyland Tower? Reflections is canceled so that leaves these 2 as the new ones to make 16. That could be a possibility.

That the 16 is the mistake? Right now, there are technically 15 DVC resorts so that number is not accurate as of today because AKV is not 2.

What a Disney CM sent when asked is outside the legal scope so if it’s an error, it’s easily fixed. As mentioned above, they could easily explain the 16 to not include RIV.

But, it could also be some e jumped the gun. We simply don’t know.
I imagine the Broker got in touch with the Quality Assurance department who actually does the contracts and not just some sales agent or cm. The QA might actually have a lot more info on what's happening from a terms and legality position for new plans and changes. But who knows lol.

But that brings back the point of why even break AKV out into 2 instead of 1? AGH we just want to know DVC! Tell us! so many theories!! :scared:

Because maybe the Disney CM who answered them brokers question couldn’t get to 16 and so they did that?

i agree. I wish DVD would come out with a statement to say officially there is or is not a change.

The waiver on its own obviously doesn’t control the restrictions. I think what many are pointing to is it being a sign of things to come. Considering the ROFR process as well as the closing process in general take so long, many are wondering if this was done now to coincide with an announcement of a change. In other words, did they change it knowing the closing process takes several months, and this was the first document they wanted changed? Who knows? I choose to remain cautiously optimistic because it’s more fun.

That the 16 is the mistake? Right now, there are technically 15 DVC resorts so that number is not accurate as of today because AKV is not 2.
No. I was commenting on your theory of 16 being a typo and it was supposed to be 15, but still why all of a sudden change it to 15? Why break out AKV all of a sudden? I was saying so what if they were just changing it from 14 to 16 and adding RIV and the DL Tower to make it from 14 to 16.

The waiver on its own obviously doesn’t control the restrictions. I think what many are pointing to is it being a sign of things to come. Considering the ROFR process as well as the closing process in general take so long, many are wondering if this was done now to coincide with an announcement of a change. In other words, did they change it knowing the closing process takes several months, and this was the first document they wanted changed? Who knows? I choose to remain cautiously optimistic because it’s more fun.

And I want to be cautious so I can actually be able to say I am wrong!!!!! Which doesn’t happen often my family tells me!!! Lol

This is a great point.

Since AKV is one unique resort, they don't even have 16 resorts, so I cannot see anyone being able to claim anything against Disney just because of the waiver. The can just say the 16th is SSR Treehouses, that were added later. They're not a different resort as much as AKV Kidani is not a different resort.

AKV shows as two in your DVC portal, mine says "hide 14 resorts" which would make current O15 including my home resort, if AKL is two. I think there's a decent argument that the treehouses are the 16th, if this was a mistake. But then I'm just more confused. Because why include Reflections at all, which is DOA? And why actively say we are now O16?

Unless Reflections is not dead and will be DVC2, when they can get their stuff together many years from now. The only explanation I can think of is that DVC1 as an O16 will include RIV and either DL Tower or AKL counts as two. DL can't be it's own thing out in DVC Purple card, because it at least has to play nicely with direct sales. At least for now... The RIV/DL resale can walk back all of this for RIV/DL contracts, because of the original contracts.

SO CONFUSING. WHY ARE WE O16 NOW?

Last edited:
No. I was commenting on your theory of 16 being a typo and it was supposed to be 15, but still why all of a sudden change it to 15? Why break out AKV all of a sudden? I was saying so what if they were just changing it from 14 to 16 and adding RIV and the DL Tower to make it from 14 to 16.

None of it makes sense. That was my theory on how they could explain it agains the list of resorts given.

Basically, they can make it work with it without RIV. Which is why both sets of information. The waiver and the list do not really match.

None of it makes sense. That was my theory on how they could explain it agains the list of resorts given.

Basically, they can make it work with it without RIV. Which is why both sets of information. The waiver and the list do not really match.
I think we have a couple theories on the 16 change

1) it adds AK2 and RIV
2) it adds AK2 and Treehouses
3) it adds RIV and DL Tower
4) Typo and should still be 14

I honestly don't think it would be changed to 15. Why break out AKV and not SSR and Treehouses? Why make this change out of the blue? I think theories 3 and 1 might be the most likely? Has anyone ever seen a Deed or contract that says you own the Treehouses? I have yet to see that. That might make sense why they only break out AKV and not SSR.

I really hope this is true! I'm contemplating purchasing a resale, and this would make it even better of a purchase. And also thinking of adding on points at RIV afterwards. Come on Disney! Say something.

The treehouses aren’t listed separately when you search DVC availability. They’re a part of SSR. Kidani and Jambo are listed separately. Just wanted to point that out. Also, none of us think of Kidani and Jambo as the same resort. They are very different resorts with very different rooms.

ETA: I’m not referring to owning at one should exclude you from booking at the other. I’m simply stating they are 2 different Animal Kingdom resorts IMO.

I wonder if the supply created to the resale market would keep the price depressed in the short term if owners were looking to “get out” and would be closer to not being upside down. Not many resale contracts out there (because no one really wants them). The change would make it much easier to sell RIV points without question especially given their current promotion. You’d have some 300 and 400 point contracts going out the door with the current incentives. I checked with our resale broker yesterday and he said they are currently working on letting people use points for other purchases like tickets, food and merch. I think he heard me roll my eyes on the phone because he added that the math would not be ridiculous like it is on cruises and concierge and ABD conversions. That would help take up some of the supply of the backlog of points. Not sure how I feel about that until I see the conversion and “run the numbers”

But that brings back the point of why even break AKV out into 2 instead of 1? AGH we just want to know DVC! Tell us! so many theories!! :scared:
LOL, right? I have almost zero concern about what the answer actually is re: Riviera resales - Riviera, though lovely, just isn’t my ideal resort - but I hate not knowing! As far as the AKV thing, though, I really do want to know, since I just bought a small resale there.

I agree that the Riviera doesn't really appeal to me however i am hoping that if these restrictions are lifted it could ease the Studio availability issues across the board.
That would be nice, and it would possibly help some, but most of the previous purchasers of contracts, well over 90%, including previous resale contracts, can already use Riviera studios, so it probably won't have as much effect as you might hope.

I think someone else asked this, but is the new DL tower being included instead of them breaking out AKV 1 & 2?

If so, that might imply they're anticipating a long pause in new DVC construction of any kind.

As I noted above, I am still in the mindset that the new waiver language was just someone's mistake; maybe we will be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but I would not count on it in making any purchase decisions at this time:

1. Nothing has changed in the controlling Riviera POS-related documents which declare that post mid-Jan 2019 resale purchasers of the pre-Rivera resorts cannot reserve Riviera, and Rivera resale purchasers are limited to reserving Riviera. Those would have been changed first if a change was intended.
. . . . . .
When this mistake was noticed and brought to the attention of DVC were they quick to announce that it was simply an error in the contract? Or did they take a long time to announce that the wording was incorrect?

I’m assuming the longer it takes DVC to comment on this, the more likely it is to be true, and less likely to be an error. But perhaps they just move slowly. I would think a big mistake in their ROFR waiver that contained legal language they did not intend for it to contain would be corrected pretty quickly and publicly.
There is another point which I think people are missing (at least I haven't read it here yet) and which I think points to the likelihood that this isn't a real change. It seems to me, that if they were going to change the ability of Riviera to be used at other resorts, even Riviera contracts from Resales, then they probably would also make the reciprocal change and let the other Resale resorts use Riviera.

Am I wrong here?

There is another point which I think people are missing (at least I haven't read it here yet) and which I think points to the likelihood that this isn't a real change. It seems to me, that if they were going to change the ability of Riviera to be used at other resorts, even Riviera contracts from Resales, then they probably would also make the reciprocal change and let the other Resale resorts use Riviera.

Am I wrong here?

The language in the way it is worded appears that it would be both ways as it says buying at the 16 allows you to only trade with the 16.

So, if RIV is one of the 16 then all get to trade amongst all.

So what we have is 16 on the waiver. And a list from someone at Disney that defined the 16 as AKV as 2 resorts and RIV, along with the rest. The DL tower would not be even part of this based on what we have so far.

So, either they are adding RIV and breaking out AKV since they are bookable as two resorts to get 16...or it should have been 15 with AKV as 2 resorts but no RIV. or a complete error and should have remained 14.

I heard back from DVC and they said they will research it and Get back to me within 2 business days with a definite answer. I sent to membership satisfaction and they sent it up to member relations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter