Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

Another conspiracy theory. RIV will be bookaable but will come with a fee at 7 months so you will only be able to book via a call to MS once the fee is paid for the reservation

For RIV resale, it’s be the opposite. Online booking only for RIV. Call to MS and pay a fee to trade.

So, it’s no longer searchable unless you have points that can be used.

From my experience Riviera showing up in the DVC booking website seem to be sporadic. I am a White Card holder only (having purchased my SSR contract Jan 2020 and waiting to close on a BLT resale contract as well). RIV would sometimes show up for me when I log in and I am able to check availability at that resort but never allowed me to book there. I had RIV showed up about a month and a half ago when I was renting out my points and again if I remember correctly about 3 weeks ago. Now when I log in, it doesn't show up on my list. So not sure why it shows up sometimes at all.

I wonder if the supply created to the resale market would keep the price depressed in the short term if owners were looking to “get out” and would be closer to not being upside down. Not many resale contracts out there (because no one really wants them). The change would make it much easier to sell RIV points without question especially given their current promotion. You’d have some 300 and 400 point contracts going out the door with the current incentives. I checked with our resale broker yesterday and he said they are currently working on letting people use points for other purchases like tickets, food and merch. I think he heard me roll my eyes on the phone because he added that the math would not be ridiculous like it is on cruises and concierge and ABD conversions. That would help take up some of the supply of the backlog of points. Not sure how I feel about that until I see the conversion and “run the numbers”

I had not seen this rumor before. Anyone else heard it? If it's a reasonable conversion, it should help remove some of the excess points.

Another conspiracy theory. RIV will be bookaable but will come with a fee at 7 months so you will only be able to book via a call to MS once the fee is paid for the reservation

For RIV resale, it’s be the opposite. Online booking only for RIV. Call to MS and pay a fee to trade.

So, it’s no longer searchable unless you have points that can be used.

It will be interesting to see what I get from DVC in a few days.
I think it is all or nothing. Either they rescind the restrictions completely or they keep them in place. They aren't going to put a whole new system of trading into other resorts for only one resort.

Everyone on this thread desperately wants this to be true - and maybe it is! - but the simplest and best explanation is still this:
It is likely whoever prepared the waiver change was someone inexperienced who just made mistakes. He creates 16 existing DVC Resorts by making Jambo and Kidani separate DVC Resorts, likely because he relied for his count on the reservation system which separates them for reserving. But the AKV POS documents clearly make AKV one DVC Resort, and legally a material change to two DVC Resorts cannot be made absent an actual vote of the members, which will never occur.

On another note, let’s not pull on this string please:
I have my suspicions about some of the regular posters on this forum to be honest. :rolleyes1

Everyone on this thread desperately wants this to be true - and maybe it is! - but the simplest and best explanation is still this:

That seems like a pretty big mistake to be missed. Disney may operate differently than companies I am familiar with, but changes to documents such as sale's waiver and buyer's documents would have to be reviewed by multiple sets of eyes in legal before they went out.

They aren't going to put a whole new system of trading into other resorts for only one resort.

They change the system for every class of DVC, and there are like 7 now. What difference do a few more classes or resort policies make?

I guess my counterpoint to this is that this has been in the ROFR Waiver paperwork since 8/11/20. Whats taking them so long to fix it? It is October now :)

I'm hopeful it is true and the restrictions are being lifted, but I also wouldn't be surprised if nothing became of it and everything went back to the way it was with restrictions. It could be awhile until we find out or we could find out when Disney's fiscal year starts too ... who knows :) It is fun to guess and come up with ideas on what happened or will happen, at the end of the day though - I bought my resale points knowing the resale restrictions are in place and I'd never be able to book Riviera unless I used my 100 direct points.

I'll still be happy if they don't get lifted, but even happier if they do get lifted.

Hopefully nobody else is making decisions right now with the hope of the restrictions being lifted.

But I'm having fun with this thread, and it was fun "breaking" this news on the DVC Fan Group on Facebook yesterday :D

Come on give us some hints :)
Seriously this is how happy message board communities get ruined. Suspicion and finger pointing leads to hurt feelings and lost posters. I literally just went through this on the other Disney board I post on and it was very unpleasant.

Please let’s cut this off here.

Edited to add if you think someone is breaking the boards rules, report their posts or PM a mod, and let them deal with it privately.

Last edited:
Seriously this is how happy message board communities get ruined. Suspicion and finger pointing leads to hurt feelings and lost posters. I literally just went through this on the other Disney board I post on and it was very unpleasant.

Sorry, couldn't resist pulling the string. And I had no idea it could cause such trouble. All please ignore my request and move along to the subject at hand - Unfotunatly I think this is nothing more than a typo and we hopefully get confirmation soon.

I think it is all or nothing. Either they rescind the restrictions completely or they keep them in place. They aren't going to put a whole new system of trading into other resorts for only one resort.

Why not? It’s in the documents it can be done so if they accounted for it back when they wrote the POS, it had to be an idea.

And, it’s not a new system of trading because it doesn’t change anything for the legacy resoets,

It simply relaxes the restrictions put in place for points purchased after a January 2019 the ability to be used at RIV, but with a fee.

And, for resale purchases of RIV to have more trading, but again, with a fee,

When DVC first started, there was no such thing as OTU, and then they implemented that. So, anything is possible.

Last edited:
That seems like a pretty big mistake to be missed. Disney may operate differently than companies I am familiar with, but changes to documents such as sale's waiver and buyer's documents would have to be reviewed by multiple sets of eyes in legal before they went out.

The only thing is the legal documents do not define the 16 resorts. That did come from Disney to one broker, I know other brokers have been reported as investigating, but so far I have not yet read anything where they were given the same list, That is what I am hoping we see that someone else was given the list with RIV included.

So, the only real official change to the documents is 14 to 16.

Edited to add if you think someone is breaking the boards rules, report their posts or PM a mod, and let them deal with it privately.

Thanks for that warning @CastAStone. My comment was meant in a lighthearted way, but I can see how it may stir things up. I have no desire to start any kind of finger pointing or trouble on this board. I really enjoy it here. I tried to delete my original post, but it appears to still be showing up where other people have quoted it.

The sole reason I could see this is that DVC has been directed to bring in as much cash as they can quickly and beyond any normal like/dislike the resort reasons to not buy there the biggest kicker has been the resale restrictions.

However since this dates back to August it also may correspond to some CM filling a position they didn't previously, being told to update for Reflections cancellation, and thinking the wording was incorrect and somehow this ended up happening. Just the fact they count Kidani and Jambo as 2 resorts when they are one association means they don't fully understand "resorts" within DVC. Although I guess the the booking tool has shown that aspect exists ever since they removed the separate RAT and combined it with the booking function. That's when it started preselecting which building the deed was titled at for AKV owners AND also started blocking owners of one from booking the other at 11 months.

I've always thought the benefits of separating out RIV were not great enough for DVC - if they actually received any from it - and that it only hurt direct purchasers of RIV so I'd think it makes sense to end it. They also really didn't take it as far as they should have to an actual DVCII and it probably was too late in the game for that to work well anyway. There's a few other issues of what they interpreted they could and could not do IMO and ending this would get rid of those problems.

However, like Drusba, I think it's just poor wording. But if they are ending it then yay. I'm grandfathered so no big skin in the game - just think they keep going to the stick rather than pulling out the honey and when the basis of a business is "magic" that doesn't make sense to gain sales. IMO.

Wait we own AKL-Kidani direct from 2009 - are you saying I can't book Jambo now at 11 months? It still showing that I can book it online. Can they make that kind of change? It was in our contract when we bought into Kidani.

The only thing is the legal documents do not define the 16 resorts. That did come from Disney to one broker, I know other brokers have been reported as investigating, but so far I have not yet read anything where they were given the same list, That is what I am hoping we see that someone else was given the list with RIV included.

So, the only real official change to the documents is 14 to 16.
No, it defined the resorts by the use of the term existing resorts. Riviera is now an existing resort and resale buyers who received those documents should be legally able to trade into any existing resort including Riviera. Riviera has, also, been removed from the expressly prohibited resorts that those resale buyers can't trade into while it expressly states which resorts (future) these buyers can't trade into. They even give a possible example of the resort they can't trade into.

It could very well be a screw up, but it would be a massive one on DVC's part.

New DVC member here with a genuine question: is it usual for DVC to wait so long to issue a correction or clarification? I know that they took a while to provide any sort of effective communication about the pandemic, but do they usually take this long to debunk any rumor or provide an update? I know when it comes to Park Ops or Walt Disney Travel, for example, if there’s a false rumor making the rounds (especially one centered around a policy), they’re generally quick to come out and debunk it.

No, it defined the resorts by the use of the term existing resorts. Riviera is now an existing resort and resale buyers who received those documents should be legally able to trade into any existing resort including Riviera. Riviera has, also, been removed from the expressly prohibited resorts that those resale buyers can't trade into while it expressly states which resorts (future) these buyers can't trade into. They even give a possible example of the resort they can't trade into.

It could very well be a screw up, but it would be a massive one on DVC's part.

Good catch!!!! I missed that in the language of the waiver. Yeah, it would be unless, as I said, there will be changes, but not the complete removal.

I did reach out to another broker and they have not been given the list of what that 16 means and are waiting ..so even with that it’s inconsistent which makes you wonder why.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter