Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

New DVC member here with a genuine question: is it usual for DVC to wait so long to issue a correction or clarification? I know that they took a while to provide any sort of effective communication about the pandemic, but do they usually take this long to debunk any rumor or provide an update? I know when it comes to Park Ops or Walt Disney Travel, for example, if there’s a false rumor making the rounds (especially one centered around a policy), they’re generally quick to come out and debunk it.

It does seem odd that nothing has been mentioned by DVD which does lend it more to it being something coming down the pike...or, it is a mistake and they are currently trying to figure it out,

But, knowing it’s now all over the internet, if we don’t get something in the next few days, then it does seem To lead to changes of some sort.

Agree! And the attorneys go over the language many times.
They do, but attorneys are also "only human" and mistakes do get made. You'd be SURPRISED how many times I've seen pretty big mistakes make it through legal review. Or don't get through legal review - that a change is made to a "standard doc," they don't think to flag it or send it through change management, and that the team sending it out doesn't think to re-read it because they've literally seen the standard doc a million and one times. Disney is a large enough company that the ability for a massive breakdown in mechanisms and/or communication and thus having a legal doc change get out without review is just as likely as having every document read every time it goes out. :)

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation doesn't list any recent changes they approved to the purchase agreements or the POS at Riviera. The last approval they issued is a change to the purchase agreement approved on January 10. There were changes approved to the purchase agreement at every DVC resort around the same time it appears.

I don't know if DVC has to seek their approval on every change before it is put in place and I don't know how long it takes them to update this information on their site.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/AdditionalInfo.asp?SID=&licid=7061092

It does seem odd that nothing has been mentioned by DVD which does lend it more to it being something coming down the pike...or, it is a mistake and they are currently trying to figure it out,

But, knowing it’s now all over the internet, if we don’t get something in the next few days, then it does seem To lead to changes of some sort.
Agree. It’s possible right now that (if it’s wrong) they are trying to figure out what if anything they owe people who got the wrong information.

The fact that it went into place five weeks ago makes me think that if it’s real, they had some sort of rollout plan, and it wasn’t for this week.

I think there's a lot of grasping at straws here. I just don't think this is how they would "announce" the change if it were true. (And I do hope it's true.)

I think there's a lot of grasping at straws here. I just don't think this is how they would "announce" the change if it were true. (And I do hope it's true.)

That's classic left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Think about how when WDW was shut down, they announced a free dining plan promotion for people to re-book their trips... only to re-open with no dining plan at all.

The department that would be making the announcement simply isn't the department that is behind the change, and may simply be seeing a lack of coordination between them.

Still thinking it could be a simple "typo" where someone said, "well, Riviera is open now, so it's not a future resort, so we now group it with the other resorts."

Come on give us some hints :)
Seriously this is how happy message board communities get ruined. Suspicion and finger pointing leads to hurt feelings and lost posters. I literally just went through this on the other Disney board I post on and it was very unpleasant.

Please let’s cut this off here.

Edited to add if you think someone is breaking the boards rules, report their posts or PM a mod, and let them deal with it privately.
Thanks for that warning @CastAStone. My comment was meant in a lighthearted way, but I can see how it may stir things up. I have no desire to start any kind of finger pointing or trouble on this board. I really enjoy it here. I tried to delete my original post, but it appears to still be showing up where other people have quoted it.

PSA PSA PSA

Just in case anyone was taking this "outing speculation" suggestion seriously, let us be clear:

WE ARE NOT GOING THERE! If you have a problem with a post, as @CastAStone says, just report it. The Mods will take the appropriate action (which sometimes is none). Thank you.

Why am I stalking this thread? I don't even like RIV. I hate its chart. I think I called the decor business hotel.

I guess I like the idea that I got even more benefits to resale than I thought I would, and that a big empty block of points would now be open to me.

Even if you don't like it, maybe it would free up availability at a resort you DO like, so it would be easier to get into that resort at the 7 month mark :)

I'm just following the thread for fun, there have been some interesting ideas that people have proposed. But I would definitely be happy if this change were true!

popcorn::

Why am I stalking this thread? I don't even like RIV. I hate its chart. I think I called the decor business hotel.

I guess I like the idea that I got even more benefits to resale than I thought I would, and that a big empty block of points would now be open to me.

It’s always wonderful to get something more, eve if you don’t want or need it!

If this rumor is true I’m not sure if it makes me more excited about my RIV direct purchase now holding greater value on the resale market or upset that I didn’t just buy a resale contract since those would now be eligible for booking RIV at the 7 month mark. I’m still in my ten day cancellation window so I’m trying to decide...

Agree 100% on the chart. It’s chart is priced like the VGF but yet the location stinks.

I don’t know about you, but with all the stress in the world - COVID, the economy, school schedules (I have two kiddos) - I am finding it immensely enjoyable to obsess over something like if I can use my PVB resale points at Riviera...even though I probably never will lol

Every owner should be interested in this thread.

Having bought all of my points prior to 2019, I'm personally unaffected by the resale booking restrictions, but that doesn't change the fact that the restrictions fundamentally changed a product that was working really well for all owners; more to the point, the resale restrictions, did nothing to improve the product for any owner, whether you purchased direct, resale, or you got your points from the back of a van in the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot.

All that said, I'm pretty confident this is all much ado about nothing. I wonder what happens when you furlough a huge swath of your employees and the threat of losing their job hangs above the head of everyone left hanging on. Probably stupid **** like this.

If this rumor is true I’m not sure if it makes me more excited about my RIV direct purchase now holding greater value on the resale market or upset that I didn’t just buy a resale contract since those would now be eligible for booking RIV at the 7 month mark. I’m still in my ten day cancellation window so I’m trying to decide...

I have posted this, but I would not make any decisions based on this limited knowledge,

Even a change including RIV as part of the trading, does not mean it will be open ended, As I said, it could come with a fee, etc, There are lots of things that could happen other than simply getting rid of it.

All we really know is that it changed, and without an official explanation from DVD, everything else is just a guess.

I have posted this, but I would not make any decisions based on this limited knowledge,

Even a change including RIV as part of the trading, does not mean it will be open ended, As I said, it could come with a fee, etc, There are lots of things that could happen other than simply getting rid of it.

All we really know is that it changed, and without an official explanation from DVD, everything else is just a guess.

Right. I wouldn’t do anything either way until an official announcement were to be made. So I’m hoping it’s soon if there is one.

Every owner should be interested in this thread.

Having bought all of my points prior to 2019, I'm personally unaffected by the resale booking restrictions, but that doesn't change the fact that the restrictions fundamentally changed a product that was working really well for all owners; more to the point, the resale restrictions, did nothing to improve the product for any owner, whether you purchased direct, resale, or you got your points from the back of a van in the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot.

All that said, I'm pretty confident this is all much ado about nothing. I wonder what happens when you furlough a huge swath of your employees and the threat of losing their job hangs above the head of everyone left hanging on. Probably stupid **** like this.

And I will add that many divisions of Disney furloughed employees who were the only ones doing certain jobs and gave the duties to the higher ups who were not furloughed who never did the job before...

So, that is a possibility as well for sure!

if you don't plan to hold the contract to the end, and who does really, i think the value created by the resale restriction being lifted outweighed the money you would have saved because the resale price should rise too. People keep saying they'll buy resale, right now there looks to be 6 between Fidelity and DVCresalemarket and none on DVCStore though I haven't looked today. So you have to take the month and points available.

I think the change is happening. They realized they screwed up and it killed sales even before COVID. Now they can make the change without admitting they're doing it because sales have been so poor, global pandemic is a good excuse.

This is a timeshare and it isn't. It's structured the same but most timeshares do not have a strong resale market. A lot of times people are begging to get let out of their contract for nothing simply to stop paying the dues. Disney refurbishes these resorts periodically and it's easy to find "value" based on the cash rate of the hotel rooms at the same "resort". They were probably trying to remove the resale market for "phase 2", much like they killed the ticket resale market years back. They failed to see a lot of the value of DVC is that people know they aren't married to it indefinitely if they want to get out. Not to mention the rental market. More interested to see what it means for DLH tower. Direct owners there may still get access to GCF at 7 months but GCF resale may not get DLH tower 7 month rights.

Agree 100% on the chart. It’s chart is priced like the VGF but yet the location stinks.
I am not a huge fan of the resort, my wife has enough love of it for 3 people. I, also, originally thought the location was bad. That said, Skyliner makes the location a non issue. It is super quick, easy and comfortable to get to two parks.

After using Skyliner on my past trip, it really is a game changer. We were at Beach Club and it made so easy to take an afternoon break from DHS.

I don’t know about you, but with all the stress in the world - COVID, the economy, school schedules (I have two kiddos) - I am finding it immensely enjoyable to obsess over something like if I can use my PVB resale points at Riviera...even though I probably never will lol
Ha! I'm right there with you. I'm not even a DVC member yet... but I'm looking to buy soon. I'm totally obsessing over this.

Thinking of resale vs. direct, and knowing that I *may* be able to purchase resale AND be able to stay at Riviera (even though I probably won't), but it still feels like it's important enough information to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter