Retheme Splash Mountain?

Should Splash Mountain be re-themed?

• Keep the rabbit - a classic!

• Bring on the Frog!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it should be rethemed. Even if its ties to SOS are obscure and buried, the tie still exists and whether one knows about it or not shouldn't be an excuse to keep it. Logistics-wise, I think that also means removing instances of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" audio throughout the parks, editing out instances of ride audio from some fireworks soundtracks, and changing Disneyland RR audio as it passes through SM. I'm not particularly emotionally invested in any of that IP (I historically don't ride SM), either.

On a side note, I think the portrayal of POCs is much more problematic in Jungle Cruise. That's a bit more overt than SM's association with SOS, but that's another thread for another day!

If you're going to shut down something because of 'obscure' and 'buried' ties, then why stop at Splash Mountain. Just go ahead and shut down Disney World, because Disney also has 'obscure' and 'buried' ties. The studio produced the movie after all.

There is absolutely nothing about the ride itself that warrants a re-theme.

If you're going to shut down something because of 'obscure' and 'buried' ties, then why stop at Splash Mountain. Just go ahead and shut down Disney World, because Disney also has 'obscure' and 'buried' ties. The studio produced the movie after all.

There is absolutely nothing about the ride itself that warrants a re-theme.

ok

I haven't seen Song of the South and I'm sure many park goers haven't. I find nothing in Splash Mountain to be offensive but that may be lacking background.

Selfishly, I think Splash Mountain is an incredibly well done ride and I worry if they retheme it it'll never live up to the original.

Splash is one of my absolute favourites. I have seen the movie and still have it on VHS. And yes, I am aware of the problematic of the past history behind this ride (and the current situation, which is really sad), but I always just feel happy whenever listening to the zip a de doo dah song.I live in Germany and I know that all countries have some black parts in their history. But erasing all memories does not make it unhappen and maybe is a chance to talk about history with children.
Please, leave SM as it is.

Splash is one of my absolute favourites. I have seen the movie and still have it on VHS. And yes, I am aware of the problematic of the past history behind this ride (and the current situation, which is really sad), but I always just feel happy whenever listening to the zip a de doo dah song.I live in Germany and I know that all countries have some black parts in their history. But erasing all memories does not make it unhappen and maybe is a chance to talk about history with children.
Please, leave SM as it is.

I keep coming back to this because I feel those of us who believe this to be problematic are being misunderstood. The issue with Splash Mountain and Song of the South is not that it deals with race, slavery, the Civil War and Reconstruction. This isn’t about not wanting sensitive issues represented at Disney. The problem is that Song of the South is a piece of racist work, written by a white man as a tool to whitewash the pain of freed slaves in the years after emancipation. It’s not about trying to make history “unhappen.” Song of the South is not a record of history. It is a fictionalized account of history, that aims to make the pains of slavery seem not as bad as they were.

It makes me feel like people arguing against this must not realize why so many people believe SotS to be so offensive. It’s not because it deals with the post Civil War south.

Hi,
Just curious. If this ride were to change the 2 main characters to say a Wolf and a pig, would this appease the general public? Also if that were to happen, what would it say about whether we think this ride is wrong and should be changed? I think Disney saw the original movie as a mistake, changed it by erasing it to the best of their ability, and learned by changing the characters to a different story altogether. Is this not what everyone is supposed to be doing? Learning from past mistakes and changing to the best of our abilities? Also, if we were going to go further, couldn't we just change their names to Bailey rabbit and Burt fox?

They should change Sleeping Beauty Castle and revamp the entire construction. It was modeled after a castle in Germany. And there used to be terrible things happening in Germany. I'm very offended by Sleeping Beauty Castle.

....see?

They should change Sleeping Beauty Castle and revamp the entire construction. It was modeled after a castle in Germany. And there used to be terrible things happening in Germany. I'm very offended by Sleeping Beauty Castle.

....see?
No, I don’t see. Song of the South isn’t racist because it’s set in the post Civil War south. It’s racist for many reasons, some of which I’ve mentioned in previous posts.

If Sleeping Beauty castle included mosaic murals depicting Jews befriending Nazis and choosing to stay in concentration camps after liberation, because they loved their Nazi captors so much and wanted to stay with them, there would be problems.

Again it’s arguments like that which make me feel people aren’t understanding the issue with SotS. People far more educated about the subject have written at length about white revisionist art and why it’s such a problem.

No, I don’t see. Song of the South isn’t racist because it’s set in the post Civil War south. It’s racist for many reasons, some of which I’ve mentioned in previous posts.

If Sleeping Beauty castle included mosaic murals depicting Jews befriending Nazis and choosing to stay in concentration camps after liberation, because they loved their Nazi captors so much and wanted to stay with them, there would be problems.

Again it’s arguments like that which make me feel people aren’t understanding the issue with SotS. People far more educated about the subject have written at length about white revisionist art and why it’s such a problem.

...I'm not arguing.

Also, I'm offended you brought up Nazis.

Hi,
Just curious. If this ride were to change the 2 main characters to say a Wolf and a pig, would this appease the general public? Also if that were to happen, what would it say about whether we think this ride is wrong and should be changed? I think Disney saw the original movie as a mistake, changed it by erasing it to the best of their ability, and learned by changing the characters to a different story altogether. Is this not what everyone is supposed to be doing? Learning from past mistakes and changing to the best of our abilities? Also, if we were going to go further, couldn't we just change their names to Bailey rabbit and Burt fox?
I mentioned in a previous post that I could see a scenario where they remove the main characters and keep much of the original ride in tact.

This isn’t my hill to die on. I’m not going to boycott Disney over this, there are much bigger problems to solve. I’m also not too upset about it, because I feel pretty strongly that Disney will fix this on their own in the future. People have mentioned Jungle Cruise as well; I’m sure Disney will correct that, too.

I don't mind rides getting an overhaul. I think there should be more options than Princess and the Frog. I'd rather see a Moana ride and it fits more with a mountain and drops. I don't see the site itself fitting with a bayou.

....you DO know the history of Walt Disney himself and his WWII propaganda right? Just making sure...
I’m a writer by trade, I write for Jewish news outlets. I’ve written several pieces on the Disney company’s connection to the Nazi propaganda machine. I would be very unhappy if a ride was built to pay tribute to that connection, but a thoughtful display outlining the history and explaining how vile it was would be a different story.

I mentioned in a previous post that I could see a scenario where they remove the main characters and keep much of the original ride in tact.

This isn’t my hill to die on. I’m not going to boycott Disney over this, there are much bigger problems to solve. I’m also not too upset about it, because I feel pretty strongly that Disney will fix this on their own in the future. People have mentioned Jungle Cruise as well; I’m sure Disney will correct that, too.
Just wondering....So you would be happy if they just changed their names? What does this say to how innocent the ride is, then? After all, the characters themselves didn't even originate from the movie.

I’m a writer by trade, I write for Jewish news outlets. I’ve written several pieces on the Disney company’s connection to the Nazi propaganda machine. I would be very unhappy if a ride was built to pay tribute to that connection, but a thoughtful display outlining the history and explaining how vile it was would be a different story.

Who said anything about building a ride in tribute to that connection? Your responses have become so outrageous now. Best of luck to you!

Just wondering....So you would be happy if they just changed their names? What does this say to how innocent the ride is, then? After all, the characters themselves didn't even originate from the movie.
Respectfully, I’m not sure what you’re saying. I do think most of the ride is fine. It’s allusions to Song of the South that I think are problematic. I do know that the characters weren’t first seen in the movie, they originated in Harris’ stories. I’m not sure what difference it makes. Both are racist works of white revisionism.

I’ve exhausted my opinion on the matter, bowing out now. Do hope the topic makes it to the podcast, and hope black opinions are amplified.

I vote to keep classic Splash. If anything, it remains a good spark to speak with traveling companions and kids about these issues. When we hide the past, we hide the truth. We also bury any thoughtful discussion and awareness.

Princess and the Frog deserves its own new and purposed attraction with up to date ride tech. Don't invite WDW to cut corners and reskin a ride.

I agree with some PPs that Splash will likely change in the near future regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter