Riviera Resale Potential

Oh, lol, thanks! We have a studio booked there for a night before a cruise with Princess just to see the resort and we have five (3 kids). We would not normally book a studio but we will be getting there really late and leaving really early to drive to Miami. Pretty sad but I actually believed it was something dvd might do, change occupancy last minute.

I was being a wise ***.

All the Murphy Beds are currently out of order. I doubt(hope it wont) it will be that way for long.

They have signs on them that say if you planned on using the bed to contact the front desk for alternate arrangements.

Me and my GF are in the process of decided which DVC resort to pick for our home, we’ve never been members and had points before so we’ve been doing tonnes of research. We live in the UK so would be visiting WDW every 18 - 24 months and are looking to buy at the 150 point level meaning we have 300 points to spend every other year for a 10 to 14 day trip.

I would like to caution you about what you are doing. I did exactly what you did. Things could be different in the UK, I dont know.
I purchased 150 points at the VGF and put my GF on the contract. I paid every cent (which I expected and had no problem with - it really was for me - , i put her on it just to be nice and get her the perks). I paid all the dues going forward(again, what I expected). We broke up. Now I own deeded real estate with her. What if I need to sell this thing? What if I lose contact with her? I would never be able to sell it!

I do not want to describe my ordeal publicly. Just think about it. You may want to each buy 75 points.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I'll try to answer the questions raised! I've been with my girlfriend for over 10 years, we're basically married, but not if that makes sense. We have discussed the actual contract and agreed it would be in my name, so should the worst happen (and i'm certain it won't!) I should be OK, I don't want to get into finances, but she will be contributing, but I will be putting in a much larger amount.

We aren't planning on having kids, so for the foreseeable future we are more at the studio end of DVC as opposed to the multi bedroom accommodations, we do however have friends who are also obsessed with WDW and may potentially holiday with them in the future, and then require something bigger, but thats very much not in the planning for the next few years.

We have previously stayed at AK Lodge, Pop Century and Wilderness Lodge. Our 'attraction' to the Riviera is the Skyliner, and the easy access to Epcot and HS, I use a mobility scooter for distances as I have a disability, and I can't say enough good stuff about the Skyliner, its so convenient for people with mobility issues. We are therefore more attracted to resorts with transport other than resort buses, which is why we've mainly considered Resorts on the Monorail loop (GF is too pricey, i'm not a huge fan of the Polynesian and something about the Contemporary doesn't appeal to me) and potentially ferry transport, so the Wilderness Lodge DVC resorts.

From a disability point of view, Riviera makes perfect sense, as does Bay Lake, and I guess of the 2 we just have a better 'feel' for the Riviera (granted without visiting), we have been round the Contemporary and it just didn't do a huge amount for us. Essentially, if it wasn't for the resale restrictions, Riviera would be a definite for us due to the perhaps less common 'needs' that we have in terms of transportation.

I'll try to answer the questions raised! I've been with my girlfriend for over 10 years, we're basically married, but not if that makes sense. We have discussed the actual contract and agreed it would be in my name, so should the worst happen (and i'm certain it won't!) I should be OK, I don't want to get into finances, but she will be contributing, but I will be putting in a much larger amount.

We aren't planning on having kids, so for the foreseeable future we are more at the studio end of DVC as opposed to the multi bedroom accommodations, we do however have friends who are also obsessed with WDW and may potentially holiday with them in the future, and then require something bigger, but thats very much not in the planning for the next few years.

We have previously stayed at AK Lodge, Pop Century and Wilderness Lodge. Our 'attraction' to the Riviera is the Skyliner, and the easy access to Epcot and HS, I use a mobility scooter for distances as I have a disability, and I can't say enough good stuff about the Skyliner, its so convenient for people with mobility issues. We are therefore more attracted to resorts with transport other than resort buses, which is why we've mainly considered Resorts on the Monorail loop (GF is too pricey, i'm not a huge fan of the Polynesian and something about the Contemporary doesn't appeal to me) and potentially ferry transport, so the Wilderness Lodge DVC resorts.

From a disability point of view, Riviera makes perfect sense, as does Bay Lake, and I guess of the 2 we just have a better 'feel' for the Riviera (granted without visiting), we have been round the Contemporary and it just didn't do a huge amount for us. Essentially, if it wasn't for the resale restrictions, Riviera would be a definite for us due to the perhaps less common 'needs' that we have in terms of transportation.
So if you aren't planning on having children I would be very concerned with the resale restrictions. At 85 are you going to want to be coming from the UK to disney, maybe, but there's a decent chance you will be done before then. It still remains to be seen what happens to contracts at the end of their life. So far BWV and BCV are holding their value but I'm thinking that in about 10 years that value will drop to dramatically. So if you stop going at 75 you may have to give your contract away or be stuck with the maintenance fees and hope to rent. It could be fine, it's too soon to tell. But I'm a prepare for the worst hope for the best type of person. I understand the appeal of Riv and if it weren't for the restrictions I might have considered it too. We don't have any disabilities in our group, but sometimes my mother comes along and she has her own issues with the bus so I approach transportation in a similar way.

I still would not do it with the resale restrictions. Also, if you look at the skyliner map, it looks like they will extend it to other resorts.

Riviera makes perfect sense, as does Bay Lake, and I guess of the 2 we just have a better 'feel' for the Riviera (granted without visiting), we have been round the Contemporary and it just didn't do a huge amount for us. Essentially, if it wasn't for the resale restrictions, Riviera would be a definite for us due to the perhaps less common 'needs' that we have in terms of transportation.

In all of the noise it's easy to lose sight of why you are buying DVC in the first place: to use. Yes, it's wonderful that you can recoup costs if you decide to sell in the future but I wouldn't buy at a resort I wasn't 100% content with because of this. I could buy Old Key West and hold it for a few years and either break even or make a profit. Would I be happy there when I'm at Disney World? No. So then what's the point?

We are from Australia and bought Riviera. I spent a good 9 months hand wringing about it and considering the resale restrictions. I was comparing buying Riviera to buying Copper Creek (heck, I think we considered every single resort direct and through resale as potentials). Riviera was the first resort since the Grand Floridian Villas that I was really really excited about: but this style suits me perfectly.

I was concerned about buying Copper Creek because we go in the US Fall season and availability for studios at CC is terrible and I really didn't want to contend with this or start walking reservations. Depending on when you are thinking of travelling, Copper Creek studio availability can be ridiculously tight or non-existent at 11 months. My partner also really disliked the room decor and small size studios at CC and it was a giant 'No' from them even though we enjoy Wilderness Lodge. I eventually bought a fixed week Standard Studio at Riviera with an extra small contract to extend my trip to 10 nights a year. My view is that I expect to own this for at least the next 20 years (it took us 10 years to finally buy into DVC and travelling to Disney World annually in the meantime) and so I will more than reach my break even point. If I decide to sell and recoup some of my investment back on the contract after that time - fantastic. If not, I've had decades of holidays at a resort that I felt was the best fit for me. You know how much money I recouped over the last ten years of Disney World holidays? $0. So I am not fussed and the sky isn't going to fall in.

I remember once asking the Disboards recommendations of where we should stay many years ago and I went with what the consensus suggested: I hated it. I then stayed at the alternative resort the following year and, against the consensus, I loved it. You need to make the right choice for yourself and not be swayed by people who don't know your interests, style or circumstance and declare ''don't buy because of the resale restrictions'' as a knee jerk reaction. Riviera was the best choice for me. Riveria, Copper Creek, or a resale contract may by the best choice for you. Go with the best fit. It seems like that may be Riviera. If it is, you can be proud of making the choice and become excited about being welcomed home.

Last edited:

We have been members for years but I wouldn't touch it at todays prices so I would buy resale for sure.

I wouldn't buy Riviera. I'd figure out which resort I love and buy there

In all of the noise it's easy to lose sight of why you are buying DVC in the first place: to use. Yes, it's wonderful that you can recoup costs if you decide to sell in the future but I wouldn't buy at a resort I wasn't 100% content with because of this. I could buy Old Key West and hold it for a few years and either break even or make a profit. Would I be happy there when I'm at Disney World? No. So then what's the point?

We are from Australia and bought Riviera. I spent a good 9 months hand wringing about it and considering the resale restrictions. I was comparing buying Riviera to buying Copper Creek (heck, I think we considered every single resort direct and through resale as potentials). Riviera was the first resort since the Grand Floridian Villas that I was really really excited about: but this style suits me perfectly.

I was concerned about buying Copper Creek because we go in the US Fall season and availability for studios at CC is terrible and I really didn't want to contend with this or start walking reservations. Depending on when you are thinking of travelling, Copper Creek studio availability can be ridiculously tight or non-existent at 11 months. My partner also really disliked the room decor and small size studios at CC and it was a giant 'No' from them even though we enjoy Wilderness Lodge. I eventually bought a fixed week Standard Studio at Riviera with an extra small contract to extend my trip to 10 nights a year. My view is that I expect to own this for at least the next 20 years (it took us 10 years to finally buy into DVC and travelling to Disney World annually in the meantime) and so I will more than reach my break even point. If I decide to sell and recoup some of my investment back on the contract after that time - fantastic. If not, I've had decades of holidays at a resort that I felt was the best fit for me. You know how much money I recouped over the last ten years of Disney World holidays? $0. So I am not fussed and the sky isn't going to fall in.

I remember once asking the Disboards recommendations of where we should stay many years ago and I went with what the consensus suggested: I hated it. I then stayed at the alternative resort the following year and, against the consensus, I loved it. You need to make the right choice for yourself and not be swayed by people who don't know your interests, style or circumstance and declare ''don't buy because of the resale restrictions'' as a knee jerk reaction. Riviera was the best choice for me. Riveria, Copper Creek, or a resale contract may by the best choice for you. Go with the best fit. It seems like that may be Riviera. If it is, you can be proud of making the choice and become excited about being welcomed home.

I really appreciate this, it mirrors a conversation I had with someone at work.

I have appreciated all the points on both sides, and whilst I’ve still not made a decision either way, this lost really helped me see both sides of the conversation.

I’m not buying to make money, I’m buying to have great experiences with my partner and friends. If I minimise financial loses great but if I have 20 years plus of great holidays then I’ll be happy whether I recoup much money or not.

I’ll have to do some more research and just see how everything comes together

I’m not buying to make money, I’m buying to have great experiences with my partner and friends. If I minimise financial loses great but if I have 20 years plus of great holidays then I’ll be happy whether I recoup much money or not.
Just keep in mind that you can still have those great experiences with your partner and friends without DVC. You can actually have a near identical experience without DVC. DVC's main purpose is to exchange upfront capital/long term commitment for an overall lower cost. I wouldn't buy the cheapest resort if you don't ever want to stay there. I also wouldn't buy my favorite resort if it's going to cost me more in the long run than just paying cash out of pocket to stay there. Buy what you will enjoy, only if it makes sense financially.

I really appreciate this, it mirrors a conversation I had with someone at work.

I have appreciated all the points on both sides, and whilst I’ve still not made a decision either way, this lost really helped me see both sides of the conversation.

I’ll have to do some more research and just see how everything comes together

I just came back from Disney and went to see Rivera and it was beautiful. I have a boot on my foot so walking wasn’t easy and most of the time used the ECV.

I decided to try Skyliner and it was so easy. I was someone who didn’t think I’d buy at RIV, but after deciding it made sense for my adult kids, we bought.

Yes, the restrictions are there and if you had to sell next year, your going to take a good size loss. But that is true for any contract bought direct.

Point charts are on the higher side. But, I’ve been planning trips and realize that the SV rooms have comparable numbers to BLT LV many times a year. So, if one owns there, you have a chance for those.

I too don’t worry about resale value and when I bought I needed 5 years or so to break even compared to cash stays. If I has to sell before then, then I expected to be in the hole but worth the risk.

Good luck

Weigh the difference in cost of resale vs buying riviera and see if that savings makes up for the difference of being able to stay at one less resort; that is the only difference in your case it seems. To me it's a no brainer but if you like another resort try staying at both first.

I'd rather have more points at another resort, or the same number of points and a rolex lol.

I'd rather have more points at another resort, or the same number of points and a rolex lol.

Rolex really? At their current $$$$ rate I would opt for something more luxurious like Patek Phillipe, JLC or Glashutte. Personally an Omega with an in-house movement and a DVC direct resort would be a better deal.

I would personally not touch Riviera, at least at this point in time.

1. The resale restrictions. It is still unclear how they will affect the resale prices. Maybe they wont really have much of an effect. To me, it is just too risky, and you could be buying an asset what will depreciate a lot. It is just too risky in my eyes. I like that my 2 contracts can sell for the same amount (more actually) than I paid for them. Hopefully you wont have to sell, but life happens, and DVC is an asset that you can convert to cash if needed. A poll on this site has more people thinking the resale price will be about 90-100$. If thats right, that is a huge drop.

2. Have you been to the resort? Do you like the vibe? It may be fantastic, I really do not know. But for me, I need to at least go to a resort and experience it if only for a few hours to get a feel for it.

3. The studios that sleep 5 now sleep 4 - so there is clearly construction concerns (that will probably pass) -

RESALE

ETA: the studios still sleep 5. I was making light of the fact that all the murphy beds are now out of order. Guests are being instructed to call the front desk if they had planned on using that bed for alternate arrangements.
They still sleep 5. They are just providing an air mattress till they can check all the little Murphy beds.

Rolex really? At their current $$$$ rate I would opt for something more luxurious like Patek Phillipe, JLC or Glashutte. Personally an Omega with an in-house movement and a DVC direct resort would be a better deal.
Watches are all about personal taste, just like dvc apparently. You can have your omega, I'll take a Daytona or another sub or gmt. I won't quibble with patek, but for the other brands, I think riviera would actually hold its value better.

You sound like you have done a lot of careful thinking, OP. I'm an owner of Bay Lake and Riviera (and Grand Flo). While GF and BLT are mostly resale, we have grandfathered points and did not buy RIV "to get the perks", and our grandfathered points can trade in to new resorts. While we don't have mobility issues per se, we avoid buses as much as we can because we have been using a double stroller for years. Putting aside the perks, etc. since you won't be coming often enough.

Here's a little from our POV:

BLT is a terrific "utility" resort. I have a nostalgic love for the Contemporary because as a kid I dreamed of staying at the hotel where the monorail goes through. The BLT villas are great, with lovely views and the 1br and 2br are spacious and imo much nicer in person than on any youtube tour. That said, if you and GF plan to stay only in studios with no kids, the studios are a little small. But - location, location, location - it's a nice walk to MK with its own security checkpoint that is never crowded. We took my MIL in a scooter on that walk many times. In terms of resale value and cost of entry, it's a great value. But, if you don't love it and prefer a larger studio, maybe noe.

RIV is nice, we did buy in back in April instead of adding on to BLT, because we love EP and HS. BUT - if you're not planning on having kids, then you're going to be reselling it and I don't think it's a great idea to buy at these prices. We have 2 young kids and plan on leaving our contracts to them together with enough to fund MFs. So we really don't plan on selling.

Have you considered BWV? We didn't, even though we love the resort, because of its 2042 end date and because all 2br are lockoffs, but that may work for you. And it's walking/riding to both EP and HS. As far as location goes, it's by far the best for the EP/HS area. Studios are larger than BLT, too.

As for new resorts, You could rent out your points (BLT or BWV will rent pretty easily) and rent points or use that money for a cash room at RIV or other new resorts. So you're not forever shut out; you're just not in full control of your reservation if you rent points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter