Riviera Resale Potential

The Apple Watch has Toy Story watch faces and also Mickey and Minnie, who talk. You can also change the color of Minnie's outfit. My kids love them. They like to say goodnight to Mickey and Minnie.

The Apple Watch has Toy Story watch faces and also Mickey and Minnie, who talk. You can also change the color of Minnie's outfit. My kids love them. They like to say goodnight to Mickey and Minnie.

My GF has so many Disney faces on her Apple Watch, I swear it’s a different one every day!

I do not think it’s a good idea to buy real estate with a girlfriend / boyfriend on the deed.

Ever.

I am curious could you explain your reasoning? I don't disagree but I am always interested in the why?

As an aside, I do know someone who bought property with their girlfriend it didn't turn out well in the end so your comment is reasoned advice.

I am curious could you explain your reasoning? I don't disagree but I am always interested in the why?

As an aside, I do know someone who bought property with their girlfriend it didn't turn out well in the end so your comment is reasoned advice.
Your example is precisely my point. It often does not go well. Hate to say it, but non-married couples do break up.
I’m not well versed in common-law stuff, so if they’ve been together a number of years it may work out. That said, they would have taken a gamble for the years leading up to that.

Because now a simple break up may require a lawyer. A smaller DVc contract may cost more in legal fees than it's worth. I paid every single penny of the expenses associated with mine, but if I had to have gone to court a judge probably wouldn't have cared

I do not think it’s a good idea to buy real estate with a girlfriend / boyfriend on the deed.

Ever.
Agreed. I was engaged and bought house with fiancée. Later he called it off and it was very painful to split up the asset when not even married. My best advice don’t buy real estate with GF/BF.

Hi All- just jumping in as I was interested in DVC and looking at buying direct or resell. One thing I read recently is this:

"Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at future Disney Vacation Club Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

so does this mean they're restricting attendance at Riviera and Reflections to only Direct DVC purchases? If so, maybe this will be more exclusive and not lower resale value?

Hi All- just jumping in as I was interested in DVC and looking at buying direct or resell. One thing I read recently is this:

"Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at future Disney Vacation Club Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

so does this mean they're restricting attendance at Riviera and Reflections to only Direct DVC purchases? If so, maybe this will be more exclusive and not lower resale value?
All resale points owned prior to that date are also able to be used there which means the vast majority of points currently in the system can still be used there.

Thanks everyone for the replies, that’s massively helpful.

My instinct is to avoid Riviera, purely because I am not comfortable with how Disney has acted in regards to it and secondly because as others have mentioned I have no clue how my travel patterns have changed.

I personally have wanted to do Copper Creek resale salon opposed to anything direct but my girlfriend is concerned about missing out on newer DVC resorts that we wouldn’t have access too etc, I think it’s something we’ll have to discuss again though because the savings are obviously massive

if you ever want to stay at future resorts, you can always rent out your current points and then transfer or rent a reservation from someone with eligible points. You'll pay a few dollars per point to do this each time you do, but you'll save several thousand dollars up front.

All resale points owned prior to that date are also able to be used there which means the vast majority of points currently in the system can still be used there.

"Currently" being the operative word.

I'm too lazy right now to look through the numbers and extrapolate -- but has anyone previously done a guesstimate as to how many points are sold on the resale market in any given year? I would imagine going forward, that we will see a significant number of resale points coming off eligible status.

"Currently" being the operative word.

I'm too lazy right now to look through the numbers and extrapolate -- but has anyone previously done a guesstimate as to how many points are sold on the resale market in any given year? I would imagine going forward, that we will see a significant number of resale points coming off eligible status.
There is a thread on this exact issue (would have to look for it). I think it’s something like only 10% of points (might have been less) is only resale points (not direct or ROFR) of all DVC since 92. And I think OKW is only at 23% resale. A couple of the other resorts studied seems to suggest a 1-1.5% turn over rate a year per resort. Though that doesn’t translate to a 1-1.5% turn over rate for all of DVC because of new resorts coming on line (thus the 1-1.5% is depressed).

There is a thread on this exact issue (would have to look for it). I think it’s something like only 10% of points (might have been less) is only resale points (not direct or ROFR) of all DVC since 92. And I think OKW is only at 23% resale. A couple of the other resorts studied seems to suggest a 1-1.5% turn over rate a year per resort. Though that doesn’t translate to a 1-1.5% turn over rate for all of DVC because of new resorts coming on line (thus the 1-1.5% is depressed).
I believe that OKW was about 23% extended 2057 at the DVC offer and about another 3% bought direct with 2057 extended. Not sure if there are any hard numbers on resale numbers. Since a contract could have been resold more than 1 time. I’m sure numerous contracts have been resold several times.

I believe that OKW was about 23% extended 2057 at the DVC offer and about another 3% bought direct with 2057 extended. Not sure if there are any hard numbers on resale numbers. Since a contract could have been resold more than 1 time. I’m sure numerous contracts have been resold several times.
Here is the summary thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/analysis-of-dvc-sales-resales-and-restrictions.3752766/
You are right the methodology does allow for double counting of resale contracts (essentially if a resale contract is resold). This if anything exaggerates the number of resale resale contracts on the market in this methodology, thus inflating the percentage estimated in resale. However, the study is "good enough" to give an upper bound on the number of resale points on the market (compared to the number of points sold by DVD or resold).

Similar to DVCNews estimating the number of points in OKW at about 2057, this resale information can be obtained to a large degree from OCC. In fact if someone really wanted to you could know exactly the number of resale contracts (though that would be burdensome).

Nope and here is why. Instead of Riveria you can stay at either BWV or BCV. Instead of Reflections you can stay at either BRV or CCV.

So you have those option and that's before you even start to talk about VGF, Poly, AKV. Then also the 3 non Disney locations including Aulani as well.

One other thing the thought right now is that if it's RIV resale you can only stay at RIV.

Someone who buys RIV resale will live close by to use point whenever or will be someone who books at 11 months or possibly walks their reservation.

Just saw another Rivera contract sold with offer pending. The list price was $175. It was April UY with 2019 points banked into 2020, so full of its points,

It will be very interesting to see what it actually sold for!

I know a lot of people say to buy at a resort that you like but I've only been to Orlando once and plan to start going much more frequently like once a year. Seems kinds pricy to stay at different resorts for a few years before I find one that I want to buy. Seems like that would take away from some of the added benefits in DVC. Do I just need to schedule some tours?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter