Riviera Resale-Wow?

With the resale restrictions on Riv. What happens when a Riveria resale buyer can not find a reservation to book at the Riv within the 7 month window using banked points (this could be caused by a previous cancelled ressie)? They won't be able to use them at the other resorts what happens do they lose them?

With the resale restrictions on Riv. What happens when a Riveria resale buyer can not find a reservation to book at the Riv within the 7 month window using banked points (this could be caused by a previous cancelled ressie)? They won't be able to use them at the other resorts what happens do they lose them?
Bank them if you can or lose them if you can’t, and if you still want to go - stay on cash.

My guess is you could still put them into RCI?

You haven’t stayed there yet??? I am surprised. Were your stays cancelled because of health issues??? You are such a cheerleader for the resort, just wondering.

We do not own there and have a three night stay planned for March. We had a Tower studio booked for one trip this year that we cancelled.

Covid canceled the 4 trips that I had with RIV as part of those stays.

My upcoming stay Thursday was supposed to be there but then I bought BLT in May and it came with 100 banked 2018 points expiring end of November so I had to switch to BCV because those points aren’t good there,

So, I have 1 night in December, and March, April, and August booked there so far!

Going in January, but my DD really wanted BLT for the trip a she boyfriend is coming so my solo trip in January in the tower got changed! Lol

The only option is RCI, rent them, or bank to the following year. But, I think those who buy resale there will quickly learn to book at 11 months, especially if they are owners who have other points and bought for simply staying there,

I dont believe that all those buying it have no idea how the system works.

Even if they do, once they realize they can’t book what they want, when they want, they will change the practice.

And, I do not think there will ever be a time that something won’t be there. What will be tough less than 7 months will be studios.

But, resale buyers have 4 months to book like all owners, so theyll Figure it out!

My guess is you could still put them into RCI?
It would be a mistake to wait until 7 months when direct owners could trade into Riviera. Going to need to book at 11 for popular. No one is going to get a Riviera studio that isn’t a direct owner unless someone drops it and someone else happens to be looking within minutes. Basically like hitting the lottery

It would be a mistake to wait until 7 months when direct owners could trade into Riviera. Going to need to book at 11 for popular. No one is going to get a Riviera studio that isn’t a direct owner unless someone drops it and someone else happens to be looking within minutes. Basically like hitting the lottery

I think it depends on when one goes but based on my monitoring of things this year and Next year, summer would allow be a good time,

SV no, but preferred, I think people have a shot.

we dont consider our dvc ownership an investment in real estate. we consider it 50 years of prepaid vacation.

I lost interest in this thread when it went off the rails a few pages back, but IMO, this is the only way to look at DVC. Any residual value on the rental or resale markets should be looked at as an unexpected bonus, not the driving force for buying into it.

This is a general DVC problem with things you want. It's why you always borrow, not bank. 2020 definitely proved that.

Except for me, this what made me buy DVC where I wouldn’t touch another timeshare-if you spend any time on the TUG (timeshare user group) forums you’ll see the desperate people who literally can’t pay someone to take their timeshares. DVC has been different and that’s important to me.

Agreed, you can (and we did) take what I called "bonus" into account when deciding to buy but, as they say with all investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results. The only guarantee with DVC is that you have 50 years of villas paid for. We truly consider it a prepaid vacation and, as long as we get about 10 years out of it, we will be ahead no matter what happens in the after-market.

We too know people who literately had to pay to get out from under a TS and knowing that DVC should be easy to get out of down the road (if needed) was one of the reasons we even bothered to take a tour...and the rest is history...and a much lighter check book. :rotfl2:

Yeah, I would never have even looked at DVC if not for the solid resale history and the ability to get out of the contract easily. My general opinion is that timeshares are a bad idea at best, predatory at worst, and mostly in the predatory column. Of course, there are always a few buyers who work the system to their advantage, but for the vast majority, timeshares are an expensive mistake.

I dislike that DVC is leaning more towards traditional timeshare policies. But, there are still a good 20+ years to enjoy the current system. So I will enjoy it while I can.

Yeah, I would never have even looked at DVC if not for the solid resale history and the ability to get out of the contract easily. My general opinion is that timeshares are a bad idea at best, predatory at worst, and mostly in the predatory column. Of course, there are always a few buyers who work the system to their advantage, but for the vast majority, timeshares are an expensive mistake.

I dislike that DVC is leaning more towards traditional timeshare policies. But, there are still a good 20+ years to enjoy the current system. So I will enjoy it while I can.

Also, as long as the parks exist, DVC will hold value, even if it is far less than today in comparison to those other timeshares.

Granted, parks aren’t part of the deal, but if they are there, someone will buy DVC for the right price.

This is the thought that admittedly does keep me up at night about my DVC purchase.

I lost interest in this thread when it went off the rails a few pages back, but IMO, this is the only way to look at DVC. Any residual value on the rental or resale markets should be looked at as an unexpected bonus, not the driving force for buying into it.

You're not wrong, but I disagree that it's "prepaid" vacations. The vast majority of cost for every contact will come from annual dues over time, even when adjusted for inflation. I'm my case, most of the cost is yet to be paid, even with an all-cash purchase.

You're not wrong, but I disagree that it's "prepaid" vacations. The vast majority of cost for every contact will come from annual dues over time, even when adjusted for inflation. I'm my case, most of the cost is yet to be paid, even with an all-cash purchase.
Yes, the dues go on and on and on. Maybe we should refer to it as "partially prepaid"? But that is part of the beauty of the resale and rental market. Even if resale pricing takes a big hit at some point, you should still be able to easly get out from under those fees. Unlike every other TS.

This is the thought that admittedly does keep me up at night about my DVC purchase.
Let’s put this in perspective, I would never buy Riviera but you bought the best Timeshare in the world and even Riviera will be in high demand for decades.
You can lose money in DVC but it’s nowhere near the same as other timeshares

I think that once you stay as a DVC member you will be proud and those anxieties will drift away.....

Let’s put this in perspective, I would never buy Riviera but you bought the best Timeshare in the world and even Riviera will be in high demand for decades.
You can lose money in DVC but it’s nowhere near the same as other timeshares

I think that once you stay as a DVC member you will be proud and those anxieties will drift away.....
Thank you for the reassurance ☺

Agreed, you can (and we did) take what I called "bonus" into account when deciding to buy but, as they say with all investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results. The only guarantee with DVC is that you have 50 years of villas paid for. We truly consider it a prepaid vacation and, as long as we get about 10 years out of it, we will be ahead no matter what happens in the after-market.

We too know people who literately had to pay to get out from under a TS and knowing that DVC should be easy to get out of down the road (if needed) was one of the reasons we even bothered to take a tour...and the rest is history...and a much lighter check book. :rotfl2:
the reason that sealed the deal for us to take the tour was the fact that it ends in 50 years. even if it was a disaster, we could tread water renting points to cover the annual dues and be no worse for the wear. now, we so wish that a dvc purchase was forever! haha.

I think you missed my point, and perhaps it was the way I colored my post; I agree there was an obvious "tone".
I actually did feel grateful, in that airplane analogy, when I was upgraded. But when having the shoe on the other foot, when we paid for Business Class on a vacation to Hawaii, and there was a passenger that was given a complementary upgrade to business from coach, and I know this because we chatted across the aisle to one another, I did not begrudge his ability to partake in all of the benefits that business class afforded him. That's what wrinkled my brow, when first reading your post. I had a DVC owner that bought their Aulani points direct from Disney, and when I used my SSR points (My Direct SSR points-FYI) to grab a January reservation there, she was not happy about it. She didn't think that anyone who paid considerably less per point than she did should be able to use those points for the "higher priced" resort. That attitude is mystifying to me. Do I feel grateful when I can get a BWV studio in January at 78 points, with the SSR points I bought resale? Grateful - Yes! Lucky - No ! Luck has nothing to do with it. If I plan ahead and am diligent, I'm getting a better bang for my DVC buck, and that shouldn't "chap" anyone. That's just leveraging my resources. I think the feeling that someone else should not enjoy that same airplane seat as you, because they didn't "deserve it", they're the ones with a false feeling of entitlement.
Regardless, I appreciate your sharing your views on this and, if we're ever DVC neighbors on vacation, I'll buy you a coffee and we can chat until we find some more common interests, beyond our Disney habit. :goodvibes
i like a good robust back and forth. my best friend and i disagree on a lot of politics (and most of the important stuff), and it helps us each un-narrow our viewpoints on stuff. i have plenty to learn about dvc, which is why i read way more than i post usually. i have certainly learned way more than i have contributed! thanks all! cheers to all of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter