Rob and Scott's Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding-TR Pg 92; Photo Update pg 133

Day Ten - Saturday, October 4th - Part Two

So, after sitting on the deck and watching the rain, we thought we'd head down to Diversions on Deck Four. Thinking that it was mid-afternoon, and the bar would be slow. No such luck. The rain had driven everyone inside, of course. And there are big-screen TVs in Diversions, where people were watching College Football. This should have been my cue to get the heck out of dodge, but I'd heard tell of the "Mini-Martini Flight" at Diversions and thought it sounded nifty, so we stayed. The martini flight comes to the table in this little metal rack, and has six different mini-martinis. Of six, I really liked one, tolerated two others and thought the other three were just nasty. (especially the "dirty martini". Olives, YUCK!). So after Scott finished his drink and I slogged my way through the martini flight, we decided that we didn't belong in a bar full of crazy people who thought they could talk to football players hundreds of miles away by shouting at a television screen (seriously, why do people do this. They can't possibly think it helps!) From there we headed back to our room to chill for a bit. (And by "chill for a bit" I mean "watch Iron Man on TV" ;) It was on all weekend and we had it on in the background whenever we were in the room.) When we got to our room there were several items on the bed waiting for us: tip envelopes and instructions on who to tip and how on the last night of the cruise; instructions on how to handle lugguge for disembarkation (we have to put it outside our room tonight! :scared: ), and two "Magical Moments" certificates (one from the lovely ladies who had done our massage, and one from the ships store with a honeymoon pin attatched.) Pretty cool.

Soon it was time to get ready for the show, and then dinner. It was at this point that it hit us that this was our last night of the cruise. It felt we were just getting settled in! Not fair! We'll have to do a longer cruise next time! We headed up to the Walt Disney Theatre for "Disney Dreams", which we thought was all right. I honestly enjoyed it better than the "Toy Story" musical, and the guy playing Aladdin was HOT!!!! The boat was just pulling away from the dock at Castaway Cay when the show started, and the rain was still coming down in buckets. You could actually feel the boat rocking from side to side, and it was funny to see the heads of the people seated in front of us swaying slightly from side to side with the rocking. I gained a lot of respect for those performers that night. I don't know that I could have walked without swaying at that point, let alone sing and dance.

After the show, we headed to Animator's Palate for our last dinner on board. We met Randy and Mary Kay at our table. They'd only eaten at Animator's once before, and on that cruise, it had been the pirate event, so they hadn't gotten to see the black and white decor change to full color. So all four of us were constantly looking around the room with each change of lights to see what had changed. The affects were really very well done. I ordered a glass of pinot noir, and it went really well with the foccacia bread and garlic/anchovy/butter spread that they served with it. It reminded me of bagna calda, which is a family favorite. Then I ordered the avocado seafood wrapper with cole slaw appetizer, the tomato confetti salad, and then the bacon-wrapped filet mignon with seafood filled pastry shell and tomato-goat cheese ragout. It was all very tasty! For dessert, we couldn't make up our minds, so Scott and I shared Strawberry Shortcake, Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pie, and Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake! While we were consuming all those empty calories from our three desserts, the serving staff brought a special occasion cake over to the couple on the far end of the huge table from us. It was thier honeymoon! :rotfl: They passed around pieces of the yellow cake with buttercream frosting to all of us. Mary Kay and Randy tried to get the attention of the wait-staff to let them know that we should get a cake, too --and we appreciate the thought-- but none of us had room for any more dessert, so we weren't upset when they weren't able to get another cake. They gave us instructions on which breakfast seating we should attend in the morning, and our last dinner on the boat was over.

Scott and I headed up to our room, packed, and were putting our suitcases outside the room just as our room-steward came by to thank us and pick up his tip.

Lastly, our friends who had done the four-day cruise a month earlier told us that we could not miss the very funny show done by the entertainment staff on the last night. They said it was very similar to the "Hoopla" show that used to close every night at the Adventurers Club, and we'd really enjoy it. So we checked the show schedule and headed down to the night club where the only show featuring the entertainment crew was scheduled for the night. We sat down, we ordered drinks, and we waited. Eventually other guests started to trickle in. Then the show started. And it was NOTHING like what we were led to expect. The MC was encouraging tables to make lots of noise because the "happiest table" would win a bottle of champagne, and the music was loud and people were screaming, and then the dancers came out and did a couple of numbers, and Rob and Scott left. We just weren't into it and couldn't believe our friends would recommend that kind of a show to us. Turns out that the show they saw is the last night of the four night cruise. It's not done on the three night cruise.

So, as it was after mid-night and we'd have to be up early in the morning to make our breakfast time, we called it a night. We got back to our room, set the alarms, and were asleep almost before the lights were out.

Next installment: The cruise ends, and we head home.

Okay, it's time to wrap this thing up and put it to bed!

Day Eleven - Sunday, October 5th

We got up early. WAY TOO EARLY. We had to be at breakfast at 7:45am and we couldn't go back to the room after we ate, so it was a very frantic morning.

We both showered and got dressed. Since our bags had been taken the night before, we had to stuff everything we had left into our backpacks that we brought as "carry-ons". I hadn't planned very well. I discovered when we got home that mine was ripped from over-stuffing. Oh, well at least everything made it home in once piece. Then we stepped out into the hall and discovered pandemonium! It was crazy. People everywhere trying to get to thier breakfast seating, or off the boat to catch a plane. What a zoo.

We made our way back down to our designated breakfast spot (Animator's Palate) and tried to cram ourselves AND our carry-ons around our table. Clearly the dining room isn't designed for this, but I'm guessing that it happens the last day of every cruise. We had a pleasant last meal with Randy and Mary Kay. They offer a very limited breakfast menu for disembarkation day, so it came out very quickly, and while we weren't rushed per se, there was definitely an urgency to get the heck out.

Disembarkation went smoothly, and then we got to go on a lovely scavenger hunt for my suitcase. Scott's was clearly visible and easy to find, why mine, which had been picked up from the same room at the same time, ended up two rows away, and upside down so we couldn't see the tag is beyond me. Then we got to go through customs, which was no problem at all. Soon we were breezing our way out of the terminal and out to the car.

The drive home was uneventful, if a bit of a downer. Knowing that it's the end of the vacation is always a bummer, isn't it?

My parents and sister were surprised to see us walk out onto the patio where they were having breakfast at around 10:00 am. They hadn't expected us until later in the day. And Tolliver literally jumped for joy and danced excitedly until I picked him up and let him give me kisses all over my face, and then it was Scott's turn. That definitely brightened our mood, there's not much that can't be made better by puppy kisses.

We had a lazy day with my folks, took a nap with our dog between us, and then treated them to dinner at Cafe Tu Tu Tango as a thank you for house and dog sitting for us.

The next morning, they drove off on their way back to Texas as I was leaving for work.

And then it was done. We'd planned for 18 months for those 11 days, and they were over at last.

Just be careful when Wally asks you to bow, I learned that the you know which way.

And what a journey it's been! Thank you for taking us with you! :goodvibes

Do you think you'll print this off and keep it forever and ever? :teeth:

It does make a nice (albeit derailed from time to time) chronicle of the events leading up to, during and after your wedding!

Happy Lives, Rob and Scott! Happy forever after!

Thank God, it's finally over. :lmao:

Just kidding, of course. ;)

Thanks so much for posting all of this. It was very entertaining. I wish you fellas a lifetime of happiness. :goodvibes

I know I don't comment very much (actually maybe only once?) but I thoroughly enjoyed reading! It's so nice to read about two people so in love in such a crazy world where you only usually hear bad news. I'm just so happy for you both and wish you all the best!

:thumbsup2
Take a bow Robby!

Okay. You go stand WAY OVER THERE! And I'll take a bow. :thumbsup2

And what a journey it's been! Thank you for taking us with you! :goodvibes

Do you think you'll print this off and keep it forever and ever? :teeth:

It does make a nice (albeit derailed from time to time) chronicle of the events leading up to, during and after your wedding!

Happy Lives, Rob and Scott! Happy forever after!

It has been quite the journey, hasn't it? I have considered printing out the whole shebang and having it bound. Haven't made any definite decisions yet.

A derailed chronicle or a deranged chronicle? Probably both.

Thank God, it's finally over. :lmao:

Just kidding, of course. ;)

Thanks so much for posting all of this. It was very entertaining. I wish you fellas a lifetime of happiness. :goodvibes

You know, part of me is saying "Thank goodness it's over" too. :rotfl:

I know I don't comment very much (actually maybe only once?) but I thoroughly enjoyed reading! It's so nice to read about two people so in love in such a crazy world where you only usually hear bad news. I'm just so happy for you both and wish you all the best!

Thanks. Not sure of much else, but I know that Scott and I are very happy together. That's all that matters to me.:thumbsup2

And thanks to everyone for all of the warm wishes for our future, and the encouragement during the planning and then during the seemingly endless recapping. You all have been a very important part of the process for me. I appreciate everything you've done for me. Even if it was to just make me laugh and not take things so seriously for a moment. It helped a lot.

Looking back three months after "Our Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding" I'm not sure I've got enough perspective yet to truly take it all in.

And our journey isn't quite over yet. We've still got to pick photos for albums and get them back from Randy Chapman. I'll keep you all posted when we get the "coffe table" style book in.

All things considered, I have to say, that there's not much I'd change about how things went. Mostly I'd change the fact that the Adventurers Club closed. We still miss it. A LOT! Other than that, I don't know. There were a few people that couldn't make it that I wish could have been there. I think that's it.

Sure we had our slight mishaps (like leaving the readings in our room, crashers, and the no show limo) but those have become stories that we'll tell for YEARS. So even those things worked out in their own way. And didn't detract from the happiness of the day.

And that's what I take away from this the most. Happy memories. When I think back to that weekend, I have nothing but happy thoughts about all of it. Everyone is still talking about how much fun it was. Everybody was smiling and laughing.

If we had it to do all over again? Yeah. We would. And not think twice about it. It was . . . well, it was MAGICAL. That's the only word to describe it. And I highly recommend doing the Disney Wedding thing to everyone. It's really awesome.

Hopefully, now that Scott's on the DIS as well, he'll post his thoughts on all of this. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob, you are a talented story-teller and I have thoroughly enjoyed lurking and reading your wedding adventure from beginning to end. I also love the entertainment provided by the crew who posts here. wallyb, you are my kind of funny!
Peace and happiness to the newlyweds!

Rob, you are a talented story-teller and I have thoroughly enjoyed lurking and reading your wedding adventure from beginning to end. I also love the entertainment provided by the crew who posts here. wallyb, you are my kind of funny!
Peace and happiness to the newlyweds!

:scared: What kind is that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter