Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

This thread is very good, thanks! I am going solo next month and want to do the classics and I plan to get there early, I hope that since its a Tuesday when I go it wont be very busy.

I am a WDW vet. I do the Fantasyland classics like Toad, Alice, Pan, Snow White, or Pinocchio during EE then head to ToonTown to do Mickeys Runaway Railroad so I don't have to pay lightning lane.

At DCA, I spend EE waiting for RSR. I have G+ so I use it on the other DCA attractions.
get to EE early enough.
DL Pan #1, then Alice, then Dumbo, then Toad, then Snow White, then Pinocchio.
You want to be heading toward Toontown by 820-830am. Then you can do Railway, I also like doing Chip n Dale Coaster then Roger Rabbit before Railway. As long as you are in line for Railway by 840am the line shouldn't be too long.

At DCA you depending on how early you get to EE you can fit in Guardians or Web Slingers first.
You just want to be in line for Racers by 750-755am.

get to EE early enough.
You want to be heading toward Toontown by 820-830am. Then you can do Railway, I also like doing Chip n Dale Coaster then Roger Rabbit before Railway. As long as you are in line for Railway by 840am the line shouldn't be too long.

At DCA you depending on how early you get to EE you can fit in Guardians or Web Slingers first.
Hi there! The updated post says they are letting regular guests and Disney EE guests in at the same time. We are staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel and I read we did not get early entry. Are you saying they aren't enforcing the Disney Hotel Guests only? I enjoyed reading your posts!

Thanks so much for this thread. It's extremely helpful while planning my first DLR visit since 2006! I'm confused about the mulitple entrances to DCA. We're staying at the Grand Cal. Which is the best one to use during EE? Thanks!

Hi there! The updated post says they are letting regular guests and Disney EE guests in at the same time. We are staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel and I read we did not get early entry. Are you saying they aren't enforcing the Disney Hotel Guests only? I enjoyed reading your posts!
As a paying guest to the grand Californian in July, I truly hope that this is not a reality.

Even though you are let into the park early, you will NOT have access to the lands early if you are not a Disney hotel guest. You will be held by ropes on Main Street. On the Plaza Inn side of the hub, they will funnel the Disney hotel guests by checking room keys.

As a WDW vet planning our first trip to DL, this thread is the exact info I've been searching for! Thanks so much for sharing!!

We are staying at Disneyland Hotel. What time do you recommend leaving the hotel for EE? We want to make sure we have plenty of time and don't get caught behind the non-EE guests.

that is for EE guests only aka Disney Hotel guests only.

As a WDW vet planning our first trip to DL, this thread is the exact info I've been searching for! Thanks so much for sharing!!

We are staying at Disneyland Hotel. What time do you recommend leaving the hotel for EE? We want to make sure we have plenty of time and don't get caught behind the non-EE guests.
Arrive at security around 645am-650am. They open at 7am or just before 7am. It will take about 15-25 minutes to walk from the Disneyland Hotel security area to the main entrance.
This will get you in front of the people coming from the parking areas.

Arrive at security around 645am-650am. They open at 7am or just before 7am. It will take about 15-25 minutes to walk from the Disneyland Hotel security area to the main entrance.
This will get you in front of the people coming from the parking areas.
Thank you so much!!!

Thanks so much for this thread. It's extremely helpful while planning my first DLR visit since 2006! I'm confused about the mulitple entrances to DCA. We're staying at the Grand Cal. Which is the best one to use during EE? Thanks!
When entering the park for Early Entry or park opening go to the main entrance. More turnstiles.
After that you can use the GCH entrance/exit.
Be aware that security check from GCH top DTD can back up. It usually moves fast, but you want to be at that security check early.

When entering the park for Early Entry or park opening go to the main entrance. More turnstiles.
After that you can use the GCH entrance/exit.
Be aware that security check from GCH top DTD can back up. It usually moves fast, but you want to be at that security check early.

Thank you so much! Is there any advantage to not bringing a bag? Is there a bagless/stroller-less fast-moving line?

There could be, but it is random if there will be one during the time you are there.
I’m still torn about getting in line (and wasting time) for EE 45min early…. To save time in line.

It seems like a wash. Especially if one has G+/park hopper.

It may not be efficient, but I envision using G+ and riding every E-ticket at DLP once by 5pm

That seems like a pretty awesome day. Without waiting in line.

We are okay forgoing ROTR and PP.
don’t it multiple times at WDW.

Thank you so much! Is there any advantage to not bringing a bag? Is there a bagless/stroller-less fast-moving line?
DL still has the old fashion security check where the security guard checks every bag rather than WDW airport-style security machine.

get to EE early enough.

Just returned last week. This advice was spot on.

Entered park at 7:20am
EE began promptly at 7:30am

Peter Pan - walk on.
We did Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White next. Then were at rope drop for MMRR, which was also a walk on. Saved us $50 on LL+.

Then did Roger Rabbit, and then Small world.

So, 7 rides in the first hour. Looking back, we should’ve done Matterhorn with 15min standby time. But, I couldn’t resist doing small world as we were walking past it. It was a fairly long ride, which cost us some time. Then, unfortunately, kids and wife are hungry, so that spent the next 30 minutes getting SBUX coffee on Main Street.By 9:30 AM, crowds were building up.

Rise broke down, halfway through the ride, so we got a full refund. This was actually great, because we were able to do half the ride for free. It’s interesting that cast members donto not automatically give you a refund option, but just hope your return for a later time in the park.

We also were at RSR rope drop , but immediately pivoted when told it was down at 8am. Felt terrible for regular real rooendroppers who made a mad dash, instead of line for an hour. It simply is not worth doing this.

BEST ADVICE FOR RSR:
get in line 15min before park close. Do single rider!!!!

I essentially walked all the way up to the front of the line. Then took about 10 to 15 minutes to get a car. That didn’t seem so bad, because you literally are watching people get loaded right in front of you.

The ride broke down, which is a cautionary tale if you are split up from younger kids with strangers. But, to everyone’s credit, the cast members allowed us to go again as a courtesy. This says a lot, because they do this after 10 PM, long after their shift at essentially ended. So yes, there is still pixie dust in the park

When this says updated 6/13, does that mean 6/13 of 2023? Thanks!
Considering MMRR didn't open until this year, I would assume OP means that it was updated 6/13/23. Also, on the very bottom of the first post, it says "Last edited: Monday at 2:33 PM

So, 7 rides in the first hour. Looking back, we should’ve done Matterhorn with 15min standby time. But, I couldn’t resist doing small world as we were walking past it. It was a fairly long ride, which cost us some time.
Yep I would have avoided Small World. The. Non-Holiday version usually offers a short wait for majority of the day and the ride can be quite long from loading to unloading. Plus AC feels great during a hot day.

A new strategy for EE guests that is working is Fantasyland Dark rides + Dumbo during EE the Matterhorn as park opens. Use Indy LL to fish for MEP in the morning and switch to Matterhorn LL MEP fish if down at park opening.

Then Toontown by 820am. Chip and Dale Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit, then Railway.

Railway usually has a 15-20 minute wait until 845am. Then try to be at Jungle Cruise by 9am, 930am Pirates, Mansion before 10am. The rest with LL. Use Matterhorn as the MEP fish attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter