Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

Yep I would have avoided Small World. The. Non-Holiday version usually offers a short wait for majority of the day and the ride can be quite long from loading to unloading. Plus AC feels great during a hot day.

A new strategy for EE guests that is working is Fantasyland Dark rides + Dumbo during EE the Matterhorn as park opens. Use Indy LL to fish for MEP in the morning and switch to Matterhorn LL MEP fish if down at park opening.

Then Toontown by 820am. Chip and Dale Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit, then Railway.

Railway usually has a 15-20 minute wait until 845am. Then try to be at Jungle Cruise by 9am, 930am Pirates, Mansion before 10am. The rest with LL. Use Matterhorn as the MEP fish attraction.
This is next-level, Sith Lord level of Ride Optimization.

Sadly, it will be years for us to return to the Best/Left/West Coast and Disneyland.

Interesting, I felt much like doing Universal Orlando in 2 days: WE DID EVERYTHING, PLUS MORE, in 2 DAYS. WE FELT FULFILLED. And this, little incentive to come back.

Meanwhile, at WDW, you always feel there was something you couldn't do, which leads to a longing to return.

It is insane how far apart they built the parks at WDW. The amount of bus trips, gas used, car exhaust, etc just funelling people across acres and acres is mind boggling. They did DL right: Central Esplanade. 2 parks.

Wish they could've done that at WDW. I bet if theyhad to do it all over again, they would make it like DL/ Universal ORL

I've been watching you tube videos and reading about the ILL type rides at DLR... I have questions..

Do RISE, MMRR, and RSR all have standby queues?
Presumably, If you rope drop to one of these or are there on a not so busy day, you can still get on them without paying for ILL?

Do any of them have a virtual queue? or is that a thing of the past?

Thanks!!
I think I have a good handle on the Genie+ and lightening lane booking. Just wasn't sure about the above rides because they have changed over time.

I've been watching you tube videos and reading about the ILL type rides at DLR... I have questions..

Presumably, If you rope drop to one of these or are there on a not so busy day, you can still get on them without paying for ILL?

Thanks!!
I think I have a good handle on the Genie+ and lightening lane booking. Just wasn't sure about the above rides because they have changed over time
No VQ on anything at the DLR. EXCEPT DCA SHOWS (ROGERS and WOC)
Yes you can use Standby on all ILL attractions.

Rope Dropping Rise or Railway can work, BUT they tend to be down quite a bit at opening.
My recommendation without using ILL for Rise or Railway is to wait until you are comfortable with the Standby wait being shown.

For me, Rise needs to be at 60 (or with no outside queue) in order for me to do the Standby.
For Railway anything that is 40 minutes or starts in the theater portion of queue (a short outside queue is okay).
Out of all of the ILLs Railway is the one you do not need an ILL for.

For Racers ILL is almost needed as the Standby queue is unforgiving and is usually long for most of the day.
Rope Drop without EE, the line builds up fast and you are probably looking at a 40-60 minute wait because of the EE guests that will already be in line.
HOWEVER, Single Rider is awesome for Racers if you are willing to do it.

Last edited:
No VQ on anything at the DLR
Yes you can use Standby on all ILL attractions.

Rope Dropping Rise or Railway can work, BUT they tend to be down quite a bit at opening.
My recommendation without using ILL for Rise or Railway is to wait until you are comfortable with the Stanby wait being show.

For me, Rise needs to be at 60 (or with no outside queue) in order for me to do the Standby.
For Railway anything that is 40 minutes or starts in the theater portion of queue (a short outside queue is okay).
Out of all of the ILLs Railway is the one you do not need an ILL for.

For Racers ILL is almost needed as the Standby queue is unforgiving and is usually long for most of the day.
Rope Drop without EE, the line builds up fast and you are probably looking at a 40-60 minute wait because of the EE guests that will already be in line.
HOWEVER, Single Rider is awesome for Racers if you are willing to do it.
WoW!! This is really helpful!!
You really live up to your moniker!
And thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. :worship:

UPDATED 6/13
This covers both a Early Entry (EE) and Non-EE plan.

The HUB (Rope Drop Area)
AL= Adventureland
GF= Galaxy's Edge and Frontierland
FL= Fantasyland
FTL= Fantasyland and Tomorrowland
EE= Early Entry path
View attachment 697563

Park Entrance for Early Entry
THERE IS NO
EE entrance
MAKE SURE that if you are attending EE that you show up to the main entrances early. They are allowing both EE Disney hotel guests and Normal guests into the park at the same time. If you arrive late you are going to be far back in line. Ruining your 30 minutes of EE time.

SPECIAL NOTE - Disneyland and EE

The amount of EE guests at all attractions is quite low at the official park opening.
So if you are not a EE guest and you are close to the rope, you should be able to still get on Pan rather quickly.
Same goes with a non-EE guest and Space Mountain as the first attraction.
If non-EE guests are far back from rope then follow the plans listed.

Disneyland:
Fantasyland Plan (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland. You need to arrive early as regular guests and EE entry guests are allowed into the park at the same time. If you are later than 7am the line and wait to get in can eat into your 30 minute EE time.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Peter Pan your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride will be Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo next as park is about to open.
8am-820am: Next Mr. Toad, Snow White, and now Pinocchio.
820am-9am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, close with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
9am-930am: Ride the Jungle Cruise
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 1030am.
930am-1030am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh.
After 1030am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.
REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

EE Rise of the Resistance Plan

There is a Rope Drop (Gate) area that the EE guests will gather so that they have a slight head start on the Rope Drop guests coming from Frontierland.
If Rise of the Resistance at park opening is a priority, you want to line up at this gate as close to 750am as you can.
View attachment 694528
The two main attractions you want to experience are Peter Pan and Space Mountain.
- If you are using LL then Pan should be your primary EE attraction and then stay in Fantasyland until it is close to 750am.
- If you are into thrill rides or just want a chance to ride Space without and with LL, then ride Space first during EE.
- While experiencing both attractions is doable, it is going to cut things close depending on when you enter the park and the EE wait for Pan or Space. For example, if you get into the park at 740am, you probably have time for one attraction before you line up for Rise.
- Note that it is common for Rise to not be open when the park opens.

The Plan with Rise...
8am-830am: When gate opens head to Rise of the Resistance. If closed at opening, I would stay in the area for a short while, to see if it opens up by 815am.
830am-9am: Ride Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run.
Note: Grab LL for Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
9am-930am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
Note: second LL, Indiana Jones Adventure
930am-11am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh. Use LL for IJA.

Fantasyland Plan (without Early Entry)
730am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. There is a left, middle, and right of the hub rope area. I usually choose the Tomorrowland side as the Frontierland side can be crowded due to guests going to Rise of the Resistance.
Note: While settled and waiting rope drop purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-810am: Once the rope drops walk to the right side of the castle and follow the path towards the Matterhorn but stay to your left and ride Alice in Wonderland first.
810am-830am: Second ride will be Dumbo, then Mr. Toad, finally choose between Snow White or Pinocchio. GOAL is to be out of Fantasyland before 835am.
830am-915am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, close with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
915am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 11am.
945am-11am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh.
After 11am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.

REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Space Mountain your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride is kind of up to you. I would recommend Astro Orbitor, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Alice in Wonderland or Dumbo. The GOAL is to be move to the Matterhorn by park opening
8am-815am: Park opens ride the Matterhorn, can even do it twice on both sides if available.
815am-835am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure
835am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, then Pirates of the Caribbean
Note: Book your first LL, Haunted Mansion Holiday, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
945am-1015am: Ride Winnie the Pooh use LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Note: Book LL for Falcon next.
After 10am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (without Early Entry)
Space Mountain first (RECOMMENDED)

Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Tomorrowland Entrance.
Note: While settled and waiting rope drop purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-820am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Tomorrowland to Space Mountain.
815am-830am: Next ride the Matterhorn.
830am-9am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure.
Note: Book your first LL, for Falcon, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
9am-945am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
945am-1015am: Ride Winnie the Pooh use LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Note: Book LL for Falcon next.

Indiana Jones Adventure first
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Adventureland Entrance.
Note: Once settled near the rope, purchase Genie+ on the Disneyland App. No need to get a Lightning Lane at this time. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-815am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Adventureland to the Indiana Jones Adventure.
815am-830am: Next ride Big Thunder Mountain.
830am-930am: Ride the Matterhorn and then Space Mountain.
Note: Space Mountain will probably have a 30-40 minute wait
Note2: Book your first LL, Haunted Mansion Holiday, you are looking for a return time after 10am.

930am-10am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
Note: REMEMBER to keep an eye on that Rise of the Resistance ILL return time, again you want a return time after 11am (aka after lunch)

Lightning Lane Tiers
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Space Mountain
- Matterhorn
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Haunted Mansion (If Mansion Holiday season that moves to #3 or #4)
- Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run (try to get a LL return time around the same time as your ROTR ILL return time)
- Star Tours
- Autopia
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- It's a Small World (If Holiday version this moves to #5 or #6)

SPECIAL NOTE about the plans above

- This plan also works if you arrive after ROPE DROP. For example, say you arrive at Disneyland just before 850am. Skip everything listed before 9am and start at what is listed for 9am. So that would be the Jungle Cruise and Pirates.

Modifying Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
Always book a LL ASAP to start the 2 hours window and use the Modify option when Refreshing the app for a different return time on any LL attraction.
Example
- After you select a LL attraction go to the Tip Board and select the 3 dots next to the return time shown. Select Modify.
- You will then be taken to the Modify screen. You can refresh this screen (pull down on the screen) to possibly change the return time for the LL you are holding or modify it to the attraction you want to experience instead.
- Recommendation: List a couple of attractions as priority on your tip board so when you go the Modify Screen those priority attractions will be listed near the top.

PLEASE be sure to CANCEL any LLs you may not be using as it may help other guests that are doing the LL refresh trick.

Rise of the Resistance Stand By

- The Stand By line for this attraction does lower and rise throughout the day. The issue is when guests see that the line at 60 minutes or less they head to the attraction which will raise the wait time. So the trick and with a bit of luck it is better to get in line for the attraction when it is slightly higher than 60 minutes. I have done this attraction twice at a posted 75 or 70 minute wait time and the wait was 60-50 minutes.
- My go to time is after 6pm, as people are having dinner and have already ridden the attraction. The issue here is that the attraction closes around 8pm or 9pm. If the ride breaks down, they may force you out of the line and close the attraction for the day.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway Stand By
- The Individual Lightning Lane is not needed for this attraction. The waits are heavily inflated. A 40 minute wait shown on the app can easily be a 20-30 minute wait in reality. Once you enter the theater lobby you are looking at 20-30 minutes from there.
- The best times to get in line for this attraction is before 915am, during lunch/dinner time, and after the firework show.

Park Opening Attraction Closures
Wait times and temp closures do not show up until park opening, but can be delayed as you may see a - instead of a time or temp closure text.
However, most of the time, if there is a park opening closure it is due to the attraction not being signed off on time of the park opening. If you see the vehicles cycling, it may be best to stay near the attraction and wait for it to open up.
For example, you get to Peter Pan and the CM says that it is closed and they do not know when it will be open. Yet you see that the vehicles are cycling through. Ignore the CM and stay near the entrance of the queue. Give it 5-10 minutes (the time you would have probably waited anyways) and see if the line opens up. 90% of the time it will open up rather quickly
Sfl

We usually rope drop Space Mountain but it’s going to be closed on our upcoming trip 😭 I now have no idea what to do first.Big Thunder? Indy?

We usually rope drop Space Mountain but it’s going to be closed on our upcoming trip 😭 I now have no idea what to do first.Big Thunder? Indy?

Fantasyland first
Order should be Alice, Matterhorn (will be busier with Space down), Toad, Snow, Pinocchio.

Tomorrowland first
Order should be, Buzz, Matterhorn, Nemo, Star Tours.

Thrill attractions first
Matterhorn first, Big Thunder, Indiana Jones.

If Toontown and Railway are important
Arrive at Toontown by 845am-9am. Order should be CnD Coaster first, Roger or Railway can be 2nd or 3rd. I usually pick Roger first as it is a quick loader when the wait is short. With Railway you have a longer queue, a preshow, attraction ride time is longer, and slower disembark.

Last edited:

Fantasyland first
Order should be Alice, Matterhorn (will be busier with Space down), Toad, Snow, Pinocchio.

Tomorrowland first
Order should be, Buzz, Matterhorn, Nemo, Star Tours.

Thrill attractions first
Matterhorn first, Big Thunder, Indiana Jones.

If Toontown and Railway important
Arrive at Toontown by 845am-9am. Order should be CnD Coaster first, Roger or Railway can be 2nd or 3rd. I usually pick Roger first as it is a quick loader when the wait is short. With Railway you have a longer queue, a preshow, attraction ride time is longer, and slower disembark.
Thank you! We’ll go for thrill rides! I’ll also be using Indy to fish for MEP’s

Thank you! We’ll go for thrill rides! I’ll also be using Indy to fish for MEP’s
Also keep an eye on Matterhorn when it goes down, it is a GOLD Tier MEP and very useful. Especially since you should be able to do the Matterhorn with out LL at opening.

Thanks!!
I think I have a good handle on the Genie+ and lightening lane booking. Just wasn't sure about the above rides because they have changed over time.
We just got back a couple weeks ago, and it was our first time there (WDW vets). I have rules for myself at Disney that I will only pay ILL if we haven't rode it before or love it and can't stand the wait, lol.

ROTR I can't comment on much, we did it at WDW and while it was ok, we did pay ILL and I think that impacts how I look at the ride. I mean it was good but was it worth $100 to skip the line? I don't think so at all. I would have rather had a few sets of minnie ears and a pretzel or something while I waited instead. So we didn't put in the effort to ride it. I did keep glancing at wait times but the times showing was never worth the wait for us. If you have early entry you might want to try rope dropping, otherwise I think this would be a tough one if you weren't willing to wait. I'd focus on info from other people that have rode it though if it's a must do or maybe embrace the wait.

MMRR we didn't care if we rode for the same reason as ROTR (although my kids like this one more), but we still rode it twice. One morning (early entry) after riding pan, alice, pinnochio, snow, gadgets coaster, dumbo, and cartoon spin, the line was still short (10-15 minutes maybe?) so we rode it. We also rode it one evening when the line was showing 30 min and it was a walk on.

RSR I was pretty serious about because we had never rode it before. I had a plan to buy ILL as a worst case scenario but we didn't have to. We rope dropped one morning, hopped on incredicoaster on the way (hopping on incredicoaster was probably not the best idea because I was stressing lol) but still walked on. After we rode it though the line was massive. If we had been even a few minutes later it would have been a much longer wait.

We loved RSR and wanted to do it again, so waited until the line was saying about 60min later that evening. My kids are 7 & 10 and we told them it would be a wait but they didn't mind. We ended up waiting 45 min, but the line was constantly moving so it didn't feel like you were just waiting around.

Hope that helps!

We lucked out and Rope dropped ROTR and had to wait for it to be open, but did MF and then came back and walked on. We were 2, 3, 4 and 5 people on the ride that morning . They weren't letting people line up but when we walked back they opened it after a few minutes. Single rider 3 x one day for RSR, no more than 10 minutes during the day and it was about 45 at night, also because it was closing the next day for refurb. We were near MMRR when the line said 20 minutes so we rushed over and it was a quick wait. We weren't intending on paying for any ILLs unless ROTR never had a low wait, so were glad we didn't have to pay for any.

@DLRExpert, curious about your recommended modifications to the LL Tiers in DLP during the Mansion overlay season (which is a good third of the year LOL) ...I arrived at the park at 10:15 on Wednesday 10/11 and the closest return time was 8:30pm. I hopped in line with a posted 45-minute wait and waited 80 minutes.

@DLRExpert, curious about your recommended modifications to the LL Tiers in DLP during the Mansion overlay season (which is a good third of the year LOL) ...I arrived at the park at 10:15 on Wednesday 10/11 and the closest return time was 8:30pm. I hopped in line with a posted 45-minute wait and waited 80 minutes.
HMH is a golden tier LL if you can get a MEP from it.

Good to know! I was just wondering if HMH should be the first LL we book given it seems to be the most in demand when in season.
Depends on when you arrive at the park.
if it is before park opening or Rope Drop I would go the MnM Railway breakdown MEP.
But keep an eye on Indy or Matterhorn bring down at opening.
MEP can save you alot of time and stress if you get one from the correct attraction.

If we are not go to use lightning lane for rise of the resistance. Should we go on that first?

If we are not go to use lightning lane for rise of the resistance. Should we go on that first?
Many times ROTR is not open at rope drop. If it isn't open, you can go on Smugglers Run first and check your app to see if ROTR is open after you are done.

If it isn't open for a while, you're wasting precious time when you could be going on other rides.

- helpful vid about the situation with rise standby lines.

Your best option is to get in line about 15 minutes before they close the line. You'll wait no longer than 40 minutes, usually under 30. Check the app for the time the ride closes, then get in line a bit before that. The only con to that is if the ride breaks, you don't get to ride. They dump the line and you're out of luck. The second best option is just to hop in line mid-afternoon. Your wait will likely be a bit shy of an hour. Do not get in line mid-morning - that's the busiest time of day.

Don't do it first. You could easily do Indiana Jones -> Thunder Mountain -> Matterhorn, or do Space Mountain -> Matterhorn -> Thunder Mountain in the same amount of time as doing Rise first. Everyone goes to Rise first, and it is only open as the park opens like 50-60% of the time. And it's all the way in the back corner - better use of time at rope drop to do other things.

- helpful vid about the situation with rise standby lines.

Your best option is to get in line about 15 minutes before they close the line. You'll wait no longer than 40 minutes, usually under 30. Check the app for the time the ride closes, then get in line a bit before that. The only con to that is if the ride breaks, you don't get to ride. They dump the line and you're out of luck. The second best option is just to hop in line mid-afternoon. Your wait will likely be a bit shy of an hour. Do not get in line mid-morning - that's the busiest time of day.

Don't do it first. You could easily do Indiana Jones -> Thunder Mountain -> Matterhorn, or do Space Mountain -> Matterhorn -> Thunder Mountain in the same amount of time as doing Rise first. Everyone goes to Rise first, and it is only open as the park opens like 50-60% of the time. And it's all the way in the back corner - better use of time at rope drop to do other things.
Great video. Thank you.

Many times ROTR is not open at rope drop. If it isn't open, you can go on Smugglers Run first and check your app to see if ROTR is open after you are done.

If it isn't open for a while, you're wasting precious time when you could be going on other rides.
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter