Rotisserie chicken

I buy them from Costco from time to time because they are the best, and the best price ($5 for a large chicken). We eat them as chicken night one, sandwiches the next day, and then the carcass gets boiled for chicken soup. Best deal ever.

And, if you like their chicken without the work, you can buy a package of deboned rotisserie chicken. I buy that sometimes to short circuit the work. I package in about 4-5 small freezer bags, and grab one to use for casseroles, etc.

I'm not a Costco shopper so mine come from the local grocery store and sound very different than what many are describing here. First, they're small-ish, maybe 2lbs cooked? They are also never "salty"; there may be some seasoning rubbed on the skin, which my DH scoops up so it's not so bland. It's more expensive too; regular price at my store is $9.99; $7.99 on sale sometimes. Still not too bad considering fresh chickens of similar size are about that much too. Apparently poultry is quite a bit more expensive in Canada than the States.

Nachos. We typically do this on the day I make a big batch of homemade refried beans to divvy up and put in the freezer. The leftover chicken gets used for chicken salad sandwiches or quesadillas.

I buy mine at BJ's- $5 for 3lbs.
Sometimes we just eat it at as a meal with sides, but most of the time I take all the meat off and use it for other meals.

Like others, we're Costco shoppers for our chicken - both the fresh rotisserie chickens, which we use for various forms (and the carcass for soup) as well as the pre-packaged meat, which I assume is leftover chickens left at the end of a day. I just used a package of it last night and made 3 different dinners for the week from it (pot pie, enchiladas and turnovers).

We buy them from the grocery store or Swiss Chalet.
We always eat them with french fries and Swiss Chalet sauce.
When we’re done we’ll pick off the meat for sandwiches the next day, but the skin and carcass goes in the composter.

I’m not familiar with Swiss Chalet sauce. How would you describe it?

I got food poisoning from a store-bought rotisserie chicken, so I stay away from them now.
I bought one from Costco that looked nearly raw once I opened it up. I was too afraid to try it, so I threw it in a pot and re-cooked it for the doggo. She usually gets most of the rotisserie chickens anyway. She needs a bit of extra love on her dog food.

Do you buy them at the grocery store?

What do you do with them?

We might serve them just as “chicken”, or shredded in casseroles, soups, etc. Regardless, I find it easiest to debone them right away. Home from the store, then let it cool on the counter just enough that it can be handled by hand. Meat peels right off and I typically don’t even need to use any utensils. Then, the carcass & skin go in the pot to make some stock.

You?
I do the same. I only buy them 1) if they're reduced for quick sale. 2) at Earthfare, where they're $5 every day. Store-bought roasted chickens tend to be small, so I want value.

My own roasted chicken is 10Xs as good as a store-bought version, but it also takes time ... and -- yeah -- often costs more than the $5 chickens.
I got food poisoning from a store-bought rotisserie chicken, so I stay away from them now.
In all fairness, I got food poisoning from chicken I bought at the store /cooked myself. I understand the idea of once-bitten-twice-shy, but food poisoning can come from out of the blue, even from sources you've used many times in the past.

Gumbo I had the same question, looks like it's a type of barbecue sauce
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/copycat-swiss-chalet-bbq-sauce-331682

Coincidentally when we get the roast chicken I put some barbecue sauce on it and microwave it for a minute, pretty tasty. One thing I've noticed is these chickens are delicious when they're fresh, but the taste deteriorates rapidly within a day or two. I think I'll try de-boning when it's still fresh and see if that makes a difference.

Gumbo I had the same question, looks like it's a type of barbecue sauce
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/copycat-swiss-chalet-bbq-sauce-331682

Coincidentally when we get the roast chicken I put some barbecue sauce on it and microwave it for a minute, pretty tasty. One thing I've noticed is these chickens are delicious when they're fresh, but the taste deteriorates rapidly within a day or two. I think I'll try de-boning when it's still fresh and see if that makes a difference.

This is what the grocery store package looks like. You just add water to the powder and mix it up. I’ve never made a homemade version. Or I buy the containers from the Swiss Chalet restaurant. It’s kind of like a spicy/tangy gravy. I love it. I’ll drink the leftovers. Lol.

upload_2019-2-19_11-32-8.jpeg

Yep, I buy the Costco ones too. Usually the first day, when it's still hot, I eat the legs and wings (no one else in the house will eat those) I take the rest of the meat off the bones, let it cool, and make a killer chicken salad with red and green onions, celery, mayo, a bit of mustard, white wine vinegar, and tons of celery seed. We eat that on grilled Naan bread (also from Costco) for the next couple days. I never use the carcass. I hate making homemade stock, and it takes up way too much space in the freezer. We aren't soup people either.

Loaded with sodium...big time

That's why they taste so good! I couldn't care less about sodium. We all have borderline low blood pressure in our house. We could probably use more sodium, to be honest.

Whenever I make a homemade roast chicken, I season it overnight liberally with a blend of salt, pepper, garlic (smashed), thyme, and sage. Meat needs salt to bring out its flavor and juiciness. Salt makes the skin nice and crispy as well. Mmmmmm.

We have a local grocery store that does a great rotisserie chicken with no added sodium or anything other than spices. We get some already pulled packages because we give some to our dog with his food every day (it started when we had a sick dog and has stuck around due to the overlapping of rescues). We also get a whole bird from time to time to serve along with vegetable meals we make if we want to add some healthy protein.

Only Costco's and only when it is requested I make chicken salad.

After all the meat is pulled, I make stock out of the carcass then it goes in the trash.

With four kids, a rotisserie chicken gets picked clean like a wildebeest carcass on the Serengeti. If I want leftovers, I have to get two. While I don't care to boil a chicken carcass for broth--I don't like dealing with all those little bones--I will use leftover meat in soups or other dishes.

Hey with two adults, our leftovers are minimal. I think we must be pigs.

Hey with two adults, our leftovers are minimal. I think we must be pigs.

Same here. I am always so shocked when I hear about families eating off ONE roast chicken for several days. Like...what? How big is this chicken? Even our thanksgiving turkey leftovers only last, at MOST 3 days, and that is with like 8 people eating off it on day one.

I buy a Costco chicken and it's one meal for me (2 legs and 2 wings) and then like 4 servings of chicken salad after that. When I don't make chicken salad, and we just eat it as "roast chicken", it's one day of a full meal for 4 people, and then some scraps left over that maybe one person can use for a salad or sandwich the next day.

That's why they taste so good! I couldn't care less about sodium. We all have borderline low blood pressure in our house. We could probably use more sodium, to be honest.

Whenever I make a homemade roast chicken, I season it overnight liberally with a blend of salt, pepper, garlic (smashed), thyme, and sage. Meat needs salt to bring out its flavor and juiciness. Salt makes the skin nice and crispy as well. Mmmmmm.

I don't mind copious amounts of salt/seasoning; I also have no issues with sodium. There have been several incidences where my Costco chicken was overbrined and the breast meat is kind of mealy versus having a good mouthfeel. My friend acknowledges this also but doesn't let it bother her. I just don't care for that mushy breast meat and it's from too much of the sodium solution being used. It can also taste a little oversalted to me but I know everyone has a personal preference on that. The ones my grocery store does are also salty, but just on the top/skin and the breast meat has a nice "bite" to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter