Rotisserie chicken

We bought one once when we were on vacation and staying in a condo. At home, it's just as easy to take a frozen chicken out of the freezer and put it in the crockpot with spices or marinade. We have a friend who raises and butchers chickens; they are much better than the ones from the grocery store.

ETA: We don't have Costco/Sams/BJs here, if we were to get a rotisserie chicken at home, it would have to come from Walmart. I'd need at least 2 of them, I have 2 teenage boys who like to eat.

Last edited:
OMG, yes, all the salt MSG and seasonings and 'enhancers'.... :crazy2:

They are expensive, but you want a good one, with no seasonings you might not like, msg, etc... Get the large all natural Simple Truth chickens from Kroger. They are good.

I want to get one and try to make some kind of soup with chicken, pasta, maybe spinach... But, I don't have a recipe!

If science and genetics ever figure out how to make a boneless species of rotisserie chicken, I might buy one. I don't like dealing with bones.

One market near me does sell packages of the meat pulled from the bones and I've bought it a few times. I'm guessing they're yesterday's whole chickens that didn't sell, but the meat is still good.

I used to buy them all the time, but have not recently. No real reason for the change. I just stopped getting it. I will need to keep an eye and plan for them when they are on sale. I don't have a Costco account and I don't need one for a single person with very limited storage and freezer space so I just get the ones at Meijer.

When I get them I usually just doe a chicken dinner on the first night and then will use the rest to make another meal. I have done tacos, burritos, wraps, nachos, pasta, fried rice... really, the options are about limitless!

My family loves rotisserie chicken. I get them at Costco occasionally, accompanied by the giant pack of croissants from the bakery. I love those croissants!

Of all the rotisserie chickens I have ever bought and tasted, the ones at Wholefoods are hands down the best. Less greasy and meat is super tender/moist. We tend to eat pieces when we first get it and use the rest in chicken noodle soup or chicken salad sandwiches.

My Power Air Fryer Oven makes the best, BUT finding a chicken small enough (4 lbs. or less) is the most challenging part. I will spice it before turning it on and the smell throughout the kitchen is incredible.

I buy them to make a quick “bagel melt” dinner.

Shredded rotisserie mixed with bbq sauce and a slice of cheddar on top of a Bagel, and then cook in oven ‘til cheese is melted. Served open-faced.

Plenty of variations on this with different seasonings and cheese!

Don’t really use rotisserie for anything else...

Our Meijer's stores sell rotisserie chicken. My sister buys one and makes the greatest chicken soup in the world!! DH buys them and cuts up all the meat to have in his salads. Me, I really don't like the meat, Like someone else posted, it's wayyyyy too salty for me.

I buy them about once a month, and we like the ones from Sam's Club the best. We'll have it for dinner with a side or two and salad and put the rest in the fridge. We pick off of it for sandwiches for lunches, and then I'll strip whatever is left and save it for soup. Carcass either becomes stock right away or is frozen until I have time to make soup.

MAN... between this thread and the "leftovers" thread, I'm going crazy. It's 6:45pm, I'm proctoring an exam until 8, so won't get home for supper until at least 8:30... and there is a Sam's rotisserie chicken waiting there for me!

I'm not a Costco shopper so mine come from the local grocery store and sound very different than what many are describing here. First, they're small-ish, maybe 2lbs cooked? They are also never "salty"; there may be some seasoning rubbed on the skin, which my DH scoops up so it's not so bland. It's more expensive too; regular price at my store is $9.99; $7.99 on sale sometimes. Still not too bad considering fresh chickens of similar size are about that much too. Apparently poultry is quite a bit more expensive in Canada than the States.

Yes, the Costco ones are quite a bit larger than others I have seen. My local grocery store has smaller ones, but not a huge difference. I was in a local Walmart though and saw some that were tiny in comparison. I recall thinking I’d probably need 2 to serve for dinner if I was buying them. My Costco sells them for $4.99. My local grocery is I think up to 6.99, maybe 7.99.

Our Meijer's stores sell rotisserie chicken. My sister buys one and makes the greatest chicken soup in the world!! DH buys them and cuts up all the meat to have in his salads. Me, I really don't like the meat, Like someone else posted, it's wayyyyy too salty for me.
I've made the mistake of purchasing a Meijer one as well. They are very, very salty. I won't make that mistake again.

That's why they taste so good! I couldn't care less about sodium. We all have borderline low blood pressure in our house. We could probably use more sodium, to be honest.

Whenever I make a homemade roast chicken, I season it overnight liberally with a blend of salt, pepper, garlic (smashed), thyme, and sage. Meat needs salt to bring out its flavor and juiciness. Salt makes the skin nice and crispy as well. Mmmmmm.

You are lucky. Excess sodium will kill me. Too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure and kidney failure.

I’m not familiar with Swiss Chalet sauce. How would you describe it?
:scratchin Imagine taking chicken gravy and a mildly spicy bbq sauce, removing every hint of anything good from both of them, watering them down and then mixing them together. :crazy2: It's positively gag-worthy, especially the weird, thin consistency, which may be what contributes to it being mistaken for a beverage by it's fan base. :laughing:

This is what the grocery store package looks like. You just add water to the powder and mix it up. I’ve never made a homemade version. Or I buy the containers from the Swiss Chalet restaurant. It’s kind of like a spicy/tangy gravy. I love it. I’ll drink the leftovers. Lol.

View attachment 383412

Last edited:
From what I remember it's really only been Costco and Walmart; Costco is the better deal though.

We don't really get them often but we've had them in sandwiches and on their own with sides but that's pretty much it. I think we've done enchiladas before though too.

We debone right when they get home. TBH I dislike dealing with bones in general. I used to be able to eat drumsticks a lot as a kid but nowadays I just don't like that. It's dealing with the bone and seeing the parts of red and whatnot that tend to turn me off.

On rotisserie chicken though we don't reuse the carcass (makes me think of the leftover thread :laughing:).

We buy the bags of rotisserie chicken breast from Costco and use it in all kinds of recipes that call for precooked chicken - pasta dishes, enchiladas, salads, etc.

Rotisserie chickens are one of my cooking short-cuts. I buy them every once in awhile when I know I need precooked chicken for upcoming meals. We buy ours at Costco. I remove all of the meat and bag and freeze it in the portion sizes that I need. I then toss the bones and skin into a pot with onion, carrot, celery, water, and seasonings for making chicken stock. I strain and cool the liquid and then freeze that as well.

Having chopped cooked chicken in the freezer means that I can put together a number of meals quickly. I sometimes call it a rubber chicken, because one $5 bird can be stretched into several meals (depending upon how many people you are expecting that single chicken to feed). Some examples of what we make include:

Baked Chicken Tacos (We make ours less spicy and skip the beans, but they are very adaptable.)

Wild Rice Casserole (This is a similar recipe to the one I make. I use the rice medley from Trader Joe's.)

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Again, this isn't the exact recipe that I use. Mine has diced red pepper and I grate my carrots, but it is very similar. I use the broth that I have made with the bones in this and supplement it with canned broth if I don't have enough.)

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo (I make this up by just tossing broccoli, chicken, noodles, and homemade alfredo sauce together, but I'm sure there are any number of recipes online)

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup

How do you make your alfredo sauce?

I buy them to use for that dinner and then pull the chicken and freeze it for other things.

Do you buy them at the grocery store?

What do you do with them?

We might serve them just as “chicken”, or shredded in casseroles, soups, etc. Regardless, I find it easiest to debone them right away. Home from the store, then let it cool on the counter just enough that it can be handled by hand. Meat peels right off and I typically don’t even need to use any utensils. Then, the carcass & skin go in the pot to make some stock.

You?

I used to buy the rotisserie at Costco but now Daughter doesn’t like them so much. When she goes away to college I will buy it again. There will be enough meat for one meal then the rest I will make into chicken salad and some meat for chicken soup using the carcass. This is a leftover I can get away with lol!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter