Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Congratulations! Awesome 10K work!! You really are a smart racer/trainer and your times for your past races are showing that!! (As I started reading your 10K recap, a Save Ferris song came on shuffle on my computer and since Ska is a close cousin to rockabilly it was fitting with your adorable Betty outfit!)

Next time wear the short shorts! They look cute with that shirt!

Seeing that mass of runners when you're travelling to the race solo is such a relief. I get that all the time - since I travel to most of my races solo, I'm always looking for bibs on the train and I'm so relieved when I start seeing people in bibs and race shirts! It's just so weird to be heading to the race alone.

Nice job! Considering the yucky conditions, getting that close to your PR is pretty amazing. Go roxymama!!
(Also ... if we ever do a race together, you can have my ice pop thingy. I'm that one person who hates those things. I actually hate almost all ices.)

Congrats on an almost PR on back to back races! I love your InB top and it seems like you had some great food at RnR. Definitely more deliciousness than I've seen when I've done Philly.

You did awesome gurl! I'll add that I also love you tennis skirt dah-ling. The Betty shirt was amazing too, so cute. Great racing this weekend!

Awww, gee thanks guys. I came on here to finish my final little pics and see all these nice things. Here I was kinda worrying I didn't live up to my potential on the 10k and y'all have got my attitude turned around on that. Can I say "Go me?" Is that alllowed?

Well done, you!! I'd say only missing a PR by 21 seconds is pretty awesome. You look great and happy in your pics. Great job!

I was happy that the finish line was so close, so most of those are genuine real smiles. But at one point I was just trying to keep it plastered on my face and I felt like when someone is about to take your pic and your smile starts getting "weird" because you've been holding it for so long.

Love all the pics and enjoyed reading the recaps! Congrats on both of your races!

(PS: I hope they bring the ice pops to the RnR Philly Half in Sept...I guess it has the potential to be on the cooler side in Sept, but I'd still eat it.)

They also had cold water soaked gatorade brand towels for us which was nice (you can see it around my neck in some of my post race photos) I think they were really making an effort to cool us all down.

Congrats on a great weekend! Sounds like you managed the races to near perfection!

That means a ton coming from you. You probably wouldn't be too surprised to know I was trying to use all my coach dopeybadger mantras and tricks to keep my mental-pace-gremlins at bay. My first mile was 10:06 per my garmin and my late miles were 10:21, 10:28, and 10:25. But then it said my last .5 miles was 9:32 equivalent. So my garmin thought I went just shy of 6.5 miles total. Possible I ran over, I wasn't exactly being a tangent-hound, also could be drunk-garmin, probably some mix of both. Happy to know I had some oomph at the end at least. Happy that I hung on. I've got work to do to improve and I'll do it. :)
Great recaps! Nice work! :banana::banana:

Oh, and yes, those freeze pop thingys are absolutley heavenly at the end of a hot race!

Makes me want to buy a box for my freezer to grab one when I get home from hot runs this summer!!

Congratulations! Awesome 10K work!! You really are a smart racer/trainer and your times for your past races are showing that!! (As I started reading your 10K recap, a Save Ferris song came on shuffle on my computer and since Ska is a close cousin to rockabilly it was fitting with your adorable Betty outfit!)

I used to LOVE SKA! Hmmm, now you have me thinking I need to locate some on spotify for my next run. I'm having flashbacks now.

Just catching up, congrats on the new bling!

Thank you...it's good bling. It's funny what I'll endure for some shiny new things :)

Congrats on an almost PR on back to back races! I love your InB top and it seems like you had some great food at RnR. Definitely more deliciousness than I've seen when I've done Philly.

I feel like if I'd done my 10k on Sat I'd have a PR for sure, even if just by a little bit. But then I don't think I'd have my second fastest "official" 5k ever (I checked, and it is!) if I ran that on Sunday. I'm really liking my InB top too and kinda sorta definitely want to wear it for my Wine N Dine 5k.

You did awesome gurl! I'll add that I also love you tennis skirt dah-ling. The Betty shirt was amazing too, so cute. Great racing this weekend!

Why thank you daaaahling. I did feel like my outfit needed a red sparkle skirt, which I shockingly do not own yet. Maybe gotta rectify that soon.

Rock n Roll Weekend part 3: post race pics
And then This week's Training Plan

I couldn't fit all my pics in the first 10k post so I've got some more that I snapped after I had finished my race and grabbed my cold wet towel they were handing out and my freeze pop and water and granola bar, etc. There was a ton of food out for us!
I headed over to get my remix medal from the "heavy medal" tent and they snipped off my challenge wristband and congratulated me. This pic was from once I got home and put all three of my new babies together. Aren't they a pretty bunch? That remix medal is just over the top awesome in my book. The other side of the spinner says 20 years on it. So now I have two guitars and a drum.
tr15.JPG
I sort of haphazardly wandered while drinking my water and listening to a funk band play. (After the 5k it was an 80's cover band playing "And I raaaaan, I ran so far awaaaay" which was just great.) I was looking for a person with not a lot of stuff in their hands that didn't look super tired who could maybe take a pic of me and saw a fellow watching the band and he was kind enough to snap a pic. Love getting the city in the background.
tr7.JPG
I know I posted this pic above before but I like it so y'all get to see it again.

I had a free beer ticket in my armband but I drove by myself so I decided to skip it. My husband later pointed out that he was sure that the part of one michaelob ultra I would have sipped really would have messed me up #sarcasm

After texting with the fam I decided to take a leisurely walk back along the finish line and end of the course (on the sidewalks of course) to watch the runners and offer encouragement...since I had to go in that direction anyways. I did have to stop to take a pic with this amazing coffee/donut truck (which had a long line so I didn't get anything)
tr8.JPG
That beaver might be my spirit animal.
I watched some folks finishing and checked out the giant water cannon mister thing they had. It was mostly getting the 1/2 runners as it didn't quite reach the 10k. I didn't even notice it while I was running in fact. Maybe they didn't have it on yet until after I'd finished?
tr11.JPG
More runners. A RnR volunteer offered me a cowbell but I declined since my hands were pretty full and I didn't want a 4 year old at home with a cowbell later.
tr10.JPG
I had noticed a man walking past me with a big pink striped box of donuts and then I remembered something glorious. They built a Stan's Donuts by the street near where I parked!!! I didn't even need two seconds to decide that my morning would have a slight detour before heading home.
tr12.JPG
I did have to cross the 1/2 runners on Michigan Ave to get to donut shop. I believe based on the bibs that it was corral 19 and 20 people and many were walk/run or walking so it was easy to get across. I tried to be polite about it as I hate when people cross me on race courses willy nilly. Made sure to wait for a large gap.
And then sweaty me in my race outfit with my medals and bibs got in line at the donut place. I became increasingly aware of the medal clanking at this moment. One downside of challenge medals...so much clanking!
tr13.JPG
To be fair I was getting breakfast to bring home to my family, too. So that's totally justified, right?
The woman behind the counter asked if I needed a drink so I just had to blurt out "small iced latte"
Yeah and then I ceremoniously carried a box of 6 donuts and a latte back across the 1/2 marathon course (I fully apologize to anyone walking who saw me with medals and donuts...I hope I motivated you to the finish...oops)
I ended up having a third of the cherry, pistachio, and orange old fashioned ones to make just one rainbow donut. As much as I'd love to eat more, my body just didn't want more and that's ok. Kiddo dive bombed the sprinkle donut that I got specifically for her.
tr14.JPG
Oh and my parking was only $8!!! I somehow did all that just shy of going into the next dollar amount. It pays off not parking right next to the race start where it's much more expensive and walking instead. Plus donuts!!

Training Plan for this week: Chicago half marathon is really my next thing so I'm now in that mindset fully. Eep...but also Yay!
Monday 7/17 OFF
Tuesday 7/18 3 miles EA - roxyhubby may be home late tonight. So I may have to forward this into Wed. Which means a back to back mid week but both of easy paces. Ok to do that?
Wed 7/19 usually off, but maybe Tue workout
Thur 7/20 4 mi @ EB w strides
Fri 7/21 OFF
Sat 7/22 3 mi @EA
Sun 7/23 5 mi @ LR
This week seems 100% do-able. Weather forecast has giant lightning bolts tomorrow through Sunday so I'll likely be seeing the treadmill a bunch. It's also everyday in the high 80's so humid city. Hello treadmill!!!

PS Because I like to brag about my husband, last night he did a track workout that had him doing bursts of different speeds and he was nailing paces in the 8-9 range and maybe lower for the hardest part. Super impressed by him right now. So just wanted to brag.

Donuts and an iced latte after the race sounds perfect! Those look delicious! Yay for the Chicago half mindset setting in. You will kill that race!

And well done to @roxyhubby !!

Oh, and, yes! Next time wear the short shorts. You look fantastic!

Love the recaps! And the Bling!! OH, and yep, those donuts look amazing..plus, so did you in that Betty top, very flattering!!!
Congratulations, looks like you are going to rock the Chicago 1/2, you are totally focused.

Next time wear the short shorts! They look cute with that shirt!

Seeing that mass of runners when you're travelling to the race solo is such a relief. I get that all the time - since I travel to most of my races solo, I'm always looking for bibs on the train and I'm so relieved when I start seeing people in bibs and race shirts! It's just so weird to be heading to the race alone.

Nice job! Considering the yucky conditions, getting that close to your PR is pretty amazing. Go roxymama!!
(Also ... if we ever do a race together, you can have my ice pop thingy. I'm that one person who hates those things. I actually hate almost all ices.)

I missed commenting on your comment the first time around. I'm weirdly not so nervous about the shorty shorts while running, more weirded out by just walking around in them before and after a race. Still baby-stepping into the world of short things one pair at a time :)

Nice job! Loving this recap, and proud of you for almost PRing a race you intentionally planned to take easy!

Thanks! Yeah, all it took was a few people I could pass for me to not go so easy. And a few people passing me. And the rest is history. I still felt slower than I wanted in the moment but on reflection am happy about it all.

Donuts and an iced latte after the race sounds perfect! Those look delicious! Yay for the Chicago half mindset setting in. You will kill that race!

And well done to @roxyhubby !!

Oh, and, yes! Next time wear the short shorts. You look fantastic!

Ok, so I am sensing a theme about the shorts. I'll let y'all know if I'm ever brave enough. And the donuts were yum, but soooooo sugary and filling!!!

Those donuts look DELICIOUS!

The cherry one was my fave.

Donuts and coffee are my love language. I love a good donut! Those look great and that orange old fashion sounds especially wonderful.

Have a great training week and great job to @roxyhubby !

Thanks! But now it's dangerous knowing how close that donut place is to literally 90% of Chicago race start/finish lines.

Love the recaps! And the Bling!! OH, and yep, those donuts look amazing..plus, so did you in that Betty top, very flattering!!!
Congratulations, looks like you are going to rock the Chicago 1/2, you are totally focused.

I'm always nervous with buying clothes online but the inknburn techs seem to be the right size for me. I really adore the Betty top. It's very "me".

I'm going to try to rock the Chicago 1/2! I for sure respect the distance and know it won't be a cake walk just because I've ran one half already, especially now that I won't have the 5 miles of running through a disney park at the beginning!

Donuts yes! Love that donut truck beaver...beavers are the official animal of Canada and donuts :) Your Stan's donuts look good too, but I have never heard of them before...is it some sort of play on Wayne's World and Stan Makita's Donuts? All this donut talk at breakfast is making me regret my Shreddies.

Sweet medals, and way to go nailing those speed workouts @roxyhubby!

Donuts yes! Love that donut truck beaver...beavers are the official animal of Canada and donuts :) Your Stan's donuts look good too, but I have never heard of them before...is it some sort of play on Wayne's World and Stan Makita's Donuts? All this donut talk at breakfast is making me regret my Shreddies.

Sweet medals, and way to go nailing those speed workouts @roxyhubby!

I always assumed it was because of the Stan Mikita's donuts reference, so I just googled it and it's actually a California company since the 60's that came over to Chicago recently. Oh well.
And now I want some timbits and a double double from Tim Hortons. :)

DONUTS!!!!! (Sorry, couldn't pay attention to anything else, I was distracted by the donuts ... just assume I said something smart and encouraging about the rest of the post-race recap)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter