Rude Arrogent #%$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having laymen volunteers write parking tickets scares me - first of all, you never know what an outraged person might do if they came out and found you placing something on their car. They could just snap and pummel the daylights out of you. I've seen a parent of a disabled student totally lose it in our school parking lot, and I'd be afraid to put a ticket with a huge fee on it on his vehicle.

Secondly, what would the liability be for the community if something violent happened to one of the ticket writers? Could they be sued?

Also, is it legal for the owners of private parking lots to write tickets? I worked in one for years (confronting those with HP placards who thought they got to park for free, when they didn't - not everyone was angry when they were told they had to pay, but more than half were :( ) and we couldn't put anything on the cars, not even info if one of the cars got hit/scratched by another car. We had to try to contact the owners when they came back to their cars instead. The people who had done the damage usually took off into the shopping area before we could approach them. For minor damage, the police would get irritated if we contacted them.

VirtuallyMe said:
as a girl in highschool I witnessed a guy park in the only remaining handicap spot in the supermarket- and someone came up who needed the spot and he just looked at them and shrugged and went about his business

I walked past his car and noticed that his windows were down and keys still in ignition- I scrawled a quick note about being more conscientious about leaving car unlucked with keys in it, windows down when it had a potential to rain- I went on and one with it and then said- oh- and taking the handicapped spot when you have no sticker or tag...

I then rolled up his windows locked his car doors and left his keys on the dash with the note...

Then I went about my business in the store...

I LOVE that you did that!!!!!!

Schmeck said:
Having laymen volunteers write parking tickets scares me - first of all, you never know what an outraged person might do if they came out and found you placing something on their car. They could just snap and pummel the daylights out of you. I've seen a parent of a disabled student totally lose it in our school parking lot, and I'd be afraid to put a ticket with a huge fee on it on his vehicle.

Secondly, what would the liability be for the community if something violent happened to one of the ticket writers? Could they be sued?

Also, is it legal for the owners of private parking lots to write tickets? I worked in one for years (confronting those with HP placards who thought they got to park for free, when they didn't - not everyone was angry when they were told they had to pay, but more than half were :( ) and we couldn't put anything on the cars, not even info if one of the cars got hit/scratched by another car. We had to try to contact the owners when they came back to their cars instead. The people who had done the damage usually took off into the shopping area before we could approach them. For minor damage, the police would get irritated if we contacted them.

I don't think the actual citizens leave a ticket on the vehicle. Some cities and counties issue camera's to the volunteers. They are supposed to photograph the vehicle in front of an accessible spot and fill out a form. The information is turned into the police department and then the citation is issued.

As far as liability.... I'm sure all sorts of waivers are signed before starting volunteer service. But you know some people... they'll find a reason to sue regardless of the circumstances.

Finally, private security can not issue criminal tickets for illegal parking. BUT... I did contact the head of security at our local mall. He said they issue "courtesy citations". Basically, it's just a note reminding the individual they are parked illegally.
The principal at my son's school sticks a big orange sticker on the windshield. I'm not sure if that is against the law, although I could clearly see a case of tampering with private property.

I think all your concerns are valid ones..... and I'm sure those and many more are addressed by the city attorney before such a program is implemented.

mjkean said:
Guilty of what????
Guilty of forgetting, yep. I do that. :wave: :wave:
Being defensive about it, nope. :sad2: And I can't agree that it is the same as running a stop sign or speeding. :confused3 Running a stop sign could cause an accident. So could speeding. Forgetting to put up my placard, only causes people that think I don't have one, to be upset.

Yes... simply guilty of forgetting

I think repeatedly "forgetting" to put up a placard is inexcusable. Many people think it is okay because if they ARE issued a ticket it will be voided once they show the placard.

I think repeatedly forgetting is irresponsible and sets a bad example. How many people do you think drive around a parking lot, see a handicap space availabe and say..... "Heck,I know I don't have a tag... but that person is parked without a tag.... I'm just gonna be a few minutes.... I'll park here too."

MightyMom said:
The same goes for those who forget to put up their placard. They've broken the law and they should be ticketed. I don't think those tickets should be voided either. I think if they show up to court and present a valid accessible parking permit the penalty fee should be waived.... but they should still be charged the court costs or a standard fee. It's a waste of the police depts time and resources...... and someone has to foot the bill.... might as well be the person who is responsible.... the person who forgot to display their placard.
A few years ago I was ticketed at Downtown Disney. I called the Clerk of Court's office (Orange County) and was told to send in a copy of my placard and driver's license and the penalty would only be $20 for failure to display rather than the $250 for illegal parking.

I agree with Orange County's way of handling it, as CF experienced.

Why? Because there is a penalty for 'failure to display' enough to remind one of their duty to display the placard.

As Mighty Mom states, others may not know that you're legally entitled to park in those spaces. They'll either get nasty with you or follow your lead.

While I no longer have a hang tag (never bothered to get one once I moved to FL), if I was in the situation that I forgot to put my hangtag up, then I should be subject to a fine. The ticket writer is not psychic-by failing to display, I've caused paperwork for the municipality that they work for.

Suzanne

LindsayDunn228 said:
This was your answer. You did not answer my question.

Please point out where you said if it was safe for you to drive. All you addressed was your tag and your friend with CP having the same issue.

The part where I said "yes, it is". My answer was yes, as for the personal details they are none of YOUR business. I wouldn't be driving if it wasn't safe. If you wnt more answer then my answer to you is to mind your business.

What happened here?
I was gone all day and didn't choose this as my first thread to read and I think I need to close it because it has gone downhill tremendously since the last time I looked at it!

I only want to add one thing.
Someone parking in a handicapped parking spot and does NOT have a handicapped parking permit has broken the law. That person knows they have done something wrong and does not care.

Someone parking in a handicapped parking spot who has a valid handicapped parking permit, but forgot to put it up has also broken the law. That person has inadvertantly broken the law, didn't mean to and will probably be upset with themself when they figure out they did it (even if they don't get a ticket).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter