• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude Arrogent #%$

Status
Not open for further replies.
noodleknitter said:
Wow. Have you considered counseling for your hostility. I am one of those horrid occasional forgetters. Somehow, I think the court system isn't nearly as hostile as you seem, though. You can be self righteous and correct and still be kind and have compassion. Sure your situation is hard, but ours isn't exactly beer and skittles either.

It's a shame you had to resort to a personal attack in a vain attempt to prove your point. I am not hostile. Simply put, I am correct. You did not find fault in anything I said, you only tried to defend your own mistakes and justify breaking the law.

You described yourself as "horrid". I never did.

I never claimed my situation was more difficult than anyone elses. I simply advocate for the rights of the disabled.... my son's rights! I am trying to find a solution for an overwhelming problem.

By forgetting to put up your placard you are contributing the problem. For example: The police get called out because someone is parked in an accessible spot illegally. When the police get there they encounter someone who "forgot" to put their tag up. This may happen half a dozen times before the police decide policing the accessible spots are no longer a priority.

My post did not point fingers or single anyone out. The fact that you jumped at taking this personal only emphasises your guilty conscience.

BillSears said:
I only use my hang tag when I'm driving a rental car but when I do I always store my placard on the dashboard. It's tucked into the drivers side corner with the expiration date face up. That way if I somehow forget to put the placard on the mirror it's still visible to someone who looks on the dashboard. So those of you who often forget to hang yours this might save you a ticket.
Ewww - I dunno, Bill... that's the side with my picture and I'd hate to scare anyone! :teeth:

MarieS said:
I have a hard time believing that people do not know they cannot park somewhere that has lines across it that is next to a handicap spot.
Yep. The supermarket I like (that has signs on the doors prohibiting shoes with wheels :thumbsup: ) has also posted permanent signs at the crosshatched spots telling drivers they can't park there. That store needs more of my business!

MightyMom said:
I can not carry my two year old son in one arm, carry a gait trainer in another arm and push my seven year old in his wheelchair.
Showing my lack of knowledge here - is a gait trainer sort of like a large walker, but the user is inside but in front of the actual device?

MightyMom said:
I have little sympathy for those who say they forget to put up their placard. If I forgot to stop at a stop sign.... I would still be ticketed.
I agree completely. If I forget to display my parking tag, I SHOULD be ticketed.

mjkean said:
I don't know where you live, but where I live, if you forget to have proof of insurance, you can take your ticket and proof down to the court house. You do not have to show up at court. Just show it to the cashier, she/he voids the ticket and you are on your way. They do not treat it like blowing through a stop sign.

They should no more "foot the bill" than the people that call the police because they think they hear something outside and it is a cat. The police are there for more than arresting people and ticketing people. One very nice police officer, this weekend, took my son into his car with the air conditioning because my son wasn't feeling well on a walk. The officer got him cooled down and gave him a bottle of water. I guess I should get a bill for the gas the officer used and the bottle of water? I would think not.

Also, for those of us that have the Temp placard, it won't become habit. I hope to not have it that long.

I live in Texas. I was given a ticket by a state trooper. I was speeding.... and it so happens I didn't have proof of insurance. I was out of town (on my way to take my son to Corpus for a doctors appointment). I just sent in the ticket and paid it..... I wasn't given the option to show them proof of insurance and have that part of the ticket voided. Of course, just because I didn't have the option doesn't mean it wasn't available.

I don't think you can compare someone breaking the law to someone calling the police to report a possible intruder. And it would be SILLY for anyone to think you should be billed because the officer helped your son.

Whether you agree with my firm principles on the matter or not, the fact remains that there is a problem with handicap parking enforcement. I am trying to come up with a solution. If you can come up with a better alternative I welcome any suggestions.

I submitted this letter to the editor. This has been a problem I've been trying to solve for a long time. Perhaps this will show you my point of view.

August 28, 2006

To the Editor:

The passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990 made access to public places for people with disabilities a national priority. Unfortunately, handicap-parking offenses are still too common.

On many occasions I have found people parked illegally in handicap parking spots. The problem is, the laws surrounding handicap parking are not being enforced. The parking lot security or building owner claim it’s the police department’s responsibility. I’ve called the police department and I was told because it is private property it is up to the business owner to deal with the situation as they see fit.

Many times the owner of the property simply issues a “courtesy citation” reminding the vehicle owner they are parked illegally. This does nothing to deter illegal parking. It only emphasizes to the vehicle owner that no one is really enforcing the law.

I have done a bit of research and found there is a cost effective way to deal with this issue. Many counties and cities have developed Volunteer Handicap Parking Enforcement Patrols. These patrols are made up by volunteer citizens who issue citations to people parked illegally in handicap parking spots.

The purpose of this program would serve the community in many ways. It would serve the special needs community by freeing up parking spots and promoting community awareness.
It would also help the police department enforce city ordinances and state statues on handicap parking.

The approximate standard fine for parking illegally in a handicap spot is $250. In Travis County, Texas, the local Citizen Handicap Parking Enforcement volunteers write over 1000 citations per year. That is $250,000 in fines and would more than make up the initial investment in starting this program. Perhaps some of the funds generated could go toward expanding programs offered to the special needs population.

I voiced my concerns and offered the above option to Mayor Cortez and Chief Victor Rodriguez. Both offices politely “blew me off”. I also sent the same letter to all the city commissioners. Only Commissioner Ingram bothered to acknowledge my concerns. He didn’t have his secretary dictate a generic letter, he took the time out of his busy schedule to call me. The other Commissioners couldn’t even bother.

I am the mother of a special needs child. I will not stand by and watch my son’s rights be trampled upon. I expect the ADA to be upheld, and I expect our local officials to take this matter seriously.

MightyMom said:
Let me just add this thought.

I have little sympathy for those who say they forget to put up their placard. If I forgot to stop at a stop sign.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot to drive the speed limit.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot my drivers license at home or proof of insurance..... I would still be ticketed.

The same goes for those who forget to put up their placard. They've broken the law and they should be ticketed. I don't think those tickets should be voided either. I think if they show up to court and present a valid accessible parking permit the penalty fee should be waived.... but they should still be charged the court costs or a standard fee. It's a waste of the police depts time and resources...... and someone has to foot the bill.... might as well be the person who is responsible.... the person who forgot to display their placard.

:thumbsup2

noodleknitter said:
I am one of those horrid occasional forgetters. Out of the 10 trips out I make a week, my mom may be with me 2. It will never be a "habit."

So you knowingly pull into a handicapped parking place and you forget to hang the tag. How hard can it be? "Hey mom, look over here, a nice handicapped parking place. *you pull in* Can't forget to hang that tag!!" I'm not singling YOU out Noodleknitter, just saying, how can one "forget" so easily?

MightyMom said:
Let me just add this thought.

If I forgot to drive the speed limit.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot my drivers license at home or proof of insurance..... I would still be ticketed.

The same goes for those who forget to put up their placard. They've broken the law and they should be ticketed. I don't think those tickets should be voided either. I think if they show up to court and present a valid accessible parking permit the penalty fee should be waived.... but they should still be charged the court costs or a standard fee. It's a waste of the police depts time and resources...... and someone has to foot the bill.... might as well be the person who is responsible.... the person who forgot to display their placard.

I hope your never get blessed with a neurological disability that would contribute to forgetting anything or having trouble with squencing. Just because my placard is not up doesn't mean it's not visible. It sits on my dashboard, easily visible to anyone writing a ticket. I disagree, I don't qualify for plates, and sometimes I forget to move it from the dashboard to my rear view mirror, where it is in plain view to any person writing a ticket. I don't think I should get a ticket for that and niether does that state I live in either.

bumpysheep said:
I hope your never get blessed with a neurological disability that would contribute to forgetting anything or having trouble with squencing. Just because my placard is not up doesn't mean it's not visible. It sits on my dashboard, easily visible to anyone writing a ticket. I disagree, I don't qualify for plates, and sometimes I forget to move it from the dashboard to my rear view mirror, where it is in plain view to any person writing a ticket. I don't think I should get a ticket for that and niether does that state I live in either.

And what makes you think I don't have a neurological disability?

My point had nothing to do with the placement of the placard. Infact, I can't figure out for the life of me why you sound so defensive.... my only guess is that you feel guilty.

My placard simply does not fit around my rear view mirror. I have a large SUV with a compass and temperature display on my rear view mirror. It's factory installed and the cords are pretty large. I simply prop my placard up.

If your neurological disability is so severe that you forget to put up your placard..... I have to ask.... is it safe for you to be driving? At the very least, I'm sure it must be very difficult for you to remember where you parked in a big parking lot... or if you even locked the door to your home before you left.

After reading through this post I want to make something clear. I am in NO WAY questioning your disability or disrespecting you. These are legitimate questions.

Don't know about the rest of Florida, but in Tallahassee there are volunteer citizens who (after taking a class with instructions), look for cars parked in handicaped spots, take a photo that also shows the blue sign, note the license plate number, the date and time, and send the info with the photo to the officials at city hall. This results in a ticket for the offender.

Since most people know about the spotters (who are frequently on hand), very few people park in those spots.

And this has the added advantage that the police do not have to be on hand to spot the illegal parkers, they can be busy elsewhere.

And if a person has a parking permit and fails to display it, that's just the same as if they didn't have a permit in the first place.

Methinks more cities ought to do the same.

MightyMom said:
And what makes you think I don't have a neurological disability?

My point had nothing to do with the placement of the placard. Infact, I can't figure out for the life of me why you sound so defensive.... my only guess is that you feel guilty.

My placard simply does not fit around my rear view mirror. I have a large SUV with a compass and temperature display on my rear view mirror. It's factory installed and the cords are pretty large. I simply prop my placard up.

If your neurological disability is so severe that you forget to put up your placard..... I have to ask.... is it safe for you to be driving? At the very least, I'm sure it must be very difficult for you to remember where you parked in a big parking lot... or if you even locked the door to your home before you left.

The answer to what you asked is in a previous post. My placard is ALWAYS propped up on my dashboard. I don't always remember to put it up, and I don't think I should be ticketed for that. Has nothing to do with guilt.

YOU seem to be implying a few people feel here feel guilt, when they respond to your posts. I doubt it.

Karnak said:
And if a person has a parking permit and fails to display it, that's just the same as if they didn't have a permit in the first place.

Methinks more cities ought to do the same.

I couldn't agree more! :)

bumpysheep said:
The answer to what you asked is in a previous post. My placard is ALWAYS propped up on my dashboard. I always remember to put it up, and I don't think I should be ticketed for that. Has nothing to do with guilt.

YOU seem to be implying a few people feel here feel guilt, when they respond to your posts. I doubt it.

I'm sorry. I just don't understand what you're upset about. If your placard is always in view.... then why are you so defensive? I don't get it?

I'm not implying some people here feel guilty.... I'm flat out saying I believe they are guilty and therefore get defensive and try to justify a wrong.

This is MY opinion. I'm not asking for everyone to jump on my bandwagon and start supporting me. I speak my mind and stand firmly on what I believe.

kaytieeldr said:
Ewww - I dunno, Bill... that's the side with my picture and I'd hate to scare anyone! :teeth:

Yep. The supermarket I like (that has signs on the doors prohibiting shoes with wheels :thumbsup: ) has also posted permanent signs at the crosshatched spots telling drivers they can't park there. That store needs more of my business!

Showing my lack of knowledge here - is a gait trainer sort of like a large walker, but the user is inside but in front of the actual device?

I agree completely. If I forget to display my parking tag, I SHOULD be ticketed.

Yes.... a gait trainer is just a fancy walker for kids learning to walk. We only have one and I have to haul it back and forth to school everyday .... it's a pain.... but I if I don't take it my son would be stuck in his wheelchair all day.

Thank you for helping me make my point.

MightyMom said:
I'm sorry. I just don't understand what you're upset about. If your placard is always in view.... then why are you so defensive? I don't get it?

I'm not implying some people here feel guilty.... I'm flat out saying I believe they are guilty and therefore get defensive and try to justify a wrong.

This is MY opinion. I'm not asking for everyone to jump on my bandwagon and start supporting me. I speak my mind and stand firmly on what I believe.

When I said I forget to display it people seem to think it's a HUGE deal, I don't think it is a huge deal. I forget to put it up, maybe not everyone is making the same distinction I am. I think of displaying it as putting it where it tells me to (as is written on my placard, in my case the mirror thing-y) display it. Apparently some people are talking about no having it anywhere in view, I'm simply talking about putting it in it's proper place, which in my state is hangng up. Mine is attached with velcro to my dashboard. Most of the time I remember to put it by my mirror, sometimes I don't. I don't think that warrants a ticket and that's all *I am* saying.

kaytieeldr said:
Then she had the audacity to claim she was MORE handicapped than I was - except only one of us needed crutches to get around.

Maybe she meant mentally? In that case, maybe she was :rotfl:

People let's all settle down.
The reason why I started this thread was because of people NOT showing their placard ,if they even had one to start with. If you can't or forget to hang it but it sits on the dash visably then in my eyes you are still showing it. Yes the law says that it has to hang from the mirror so that it is veiwable from the rear of the vehical but on the dash is better then nothing.
Personally I would also like to see the police used for more important things then writing parking violations. And every time you call to have them come out it's a domistic abuse case that is being delayed.
I just called the city today and am signing up to take a class so I can write these tickets instead. A much better use of the polices time and budget to have me volenteer my time to do it instead.
And I'm with you Mightymom that if you are in violation of what ever (i.e. no proof of insureance,parking in a handicapped spot without a tag showing) that you should get a ticket. You know the rules of driving when you leave the house each day and if you violate any of them and the police see you then expect a ticket.
Now if the courts will let you off with something less after you prove that you should then thats a bonus. But to say that your entitaled to something doesn't hold water in my book.

MightyMom said:

Guilty of what????
Guilty of forgetting, yep. I do that. :wave: :wave:
Being defensive about it, nope. :sad2: And I can't agree that it is the same as running a stop sign or speeding. :confused3 Running a stop sign could cause an accident. So could speeding. Forgetting to put up my placard, only causes people that think I don't have one, to be upset.

MightyMom said:
If your neurological disability is so severe that you forget to put up your placard..... I have to ask.... is it safe for you to be driving?
I already asked this and never got an answer.

bumpysheep said:
I DID answer you. Look back it's in a previous post.

This was your answer. You did not answer my question.
bumpysheep said:
yes, it is. i have a difficult time sequencing my thoughts to remember that once I am parked but before i transfer to my chair to display it. i do my best to remember but about 25% of the time I am already in the check out of the shop when i suddenly remember i didn't hang it up. if i remember before or early on i go back outside and make sure it's displayed.

i will say i have a friend with CP that has the same issue. i (we) have to park, transfer, get my service dog out of his crate, hook him up to my chair, and get out. it should be second nature for my to put the placard up as sson as im parked but my brain just can't work that way. now my friend with CP had a placard for a while but she finally decided it ws too complicated, luckily she was able to get plates and it became a non issue. i can't get plates, so i'm doing what and can, unfortunately it involves a lot of forgeting.

Please point out where you said if it was safe for you to drive. All you addressed was your tag and your friend with CP having the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter