• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude Arrogent #%$

Status
Not open for further replies.
MightyMom said:
Today I took my son to school. I pulled into the lot and both the handicap spaces were taken. (yes, the school only has TWO!)

Neither of the cars parked there had placards or plates with the handicap symbol..... so I parked behind them and blocked them both in with my Yukon XL.

I had to carry in my two year old son, carry my seven year old son's gait trainer and push him in his wheelchair. To make matters worse.... there was no aid waiting for my son...... so I had to lug this stuff clear across the campus to the special ed room. On my way to the class I asked the school secretary to call campus police to issue a violation for the two people parked illegally.

When I came back to the parking lot there was a very upset man waiting for me. Wanting to know, "Why the hell I blocked from getting out." He was now late for work and it was all my fault.

I asked him if he had a parking tag to park in the accessible spots. "No, but I just need to drop of my kid. I was only a few minutes. "

He demanded that I move. I told him I would move just as soon as campus security arrived to give him a ticket. They arrived before I could finish my sentence.

I drove off.... I'm not sure what happened..... but I'll bet he only got a warning. Accessible parking enforcement is a joke in this town.

That reminds me of an experince I had. I was pulling into an accessible spot and as I literially pulling in a woman in a convertible pulled into the boxed off space between the spots that are done with diagnonal yellow lines. So my cousin rolls down the passanger side window and said "excuse me, you can't park there, it's not a parking spot, its an area so people can use lifts and ramps." the lady was really pissed and got out of her car anyway. So my cousin said to her it was illegal and we can't open the door and get my wheelchair lift down wth her car there. And the woman said "Oh, it's August and I'm just running into Starbucks so I shouldn't be too long"

The woman went into starbucks and we backed up my car so I could unload. Then my cousin parked directly behind her as you did and called the police. I went into Starbucks too, and the lady looked at me and ran out to see if we must have damaged her car or something since we made it obvious her car being there meant my lift would have an issue! She started telling me what a nasty person I was and when I replied to her on my AC device (a dynavox) she called me a retard and started harassing me.

Anyway by time we are both out of starbucks, the police are there, they gave her a ticket for 250usd. She decided to still be completely demeaning, and the police officer told her she had a choice of driving in front on him down the road to the polce department where he was going to file a harrasment charge agianst her for me or she could stop talking, take the ticket and apologise to me. And that it was my choice. She said sorry. It really sucked. :guilty:

I don't know about people. I've live in an extremely weathly and educated suburb of DC and I honestly wonder if these things happen more here because people feel above others and entitled to do as they wish.

bumpysheep said:
By tag do you mean plate? If so I don't qualify for one since I'm over 18 and my parents are the owners/registrants of "my" car. So yes it is thht bg of and issue and no I can't get plates instead of a placard or I already would have. Not everyone is able to get plates.
Yes, by tag I mean plate. As far as your situation, I have never heard of the before. My grandparents bought me my first car and I had no troubles getting the tag and the placard. So you just have a mirror placard then? If so, use it responsibly by always putting it up. That was my point. All I said was I think it irresponsible to "forget" to hang your placard.

SueM in MN said:
And, I do have to add that I have forgotten once or twice to put up DD's handicapped hangtag. For many years, we had a handicapped license plate, so I didn't have to worry about putting a tag up and down. After she turned 18, we could no longer get a handicapped license plate - to get one for someone over 18 (at least in Minnesota) the handicapped person must either be the principle driver or the owner of the vehicle the license plate is on. If I forget to put it up, I am aware that I risk a fine and I have tried hard to remember. But, it's hard to remember when you are used to not using it for so many years.

This is exactly my problem. I can't get plates because I don't own my car and it's not register in my name, so I have a placard. Yet, my neurological problems make me much more likely than most to forget to put it up. I actually have a notation on tha accompnaing card the is for people with neuro issues who are more likely to not remeber to display it. That way if someone blocks me in, I just show the police the placard and ID and they know what the designation means.

LindsayDunn228 said:
Yes, by tag I mean plate. As far as your situation, I have never heard of the before. My grandparents bought me my first car and I had no troubles getting the tag and the placard. So you just have a mirror placard then? If so, use it responsibly by always putting it up. That was my point. All I said was I think it irresponsible to "forget" to hang your placard.
It's the same way in Minnesota. When my DD was under 18, we could have handicapped plates on the vehicle that she rode in the most (which was our wheelchair accessible van). Once she turned 18, the only was to get handicapped license plates is for her to be either the primary driver of the vehicle (but she's not capable of driving) or the owner of the vehicle.

Because we were used to having the plates for many years, I had gotten out of the habit of thinking of putting up a hangtag (mirror placard), so there have been a few times that I have parked in the handicapped spot without putting it up. (it would have been partly visible if someone looked really hard, by the passenger side visor).

I am my mom's trasport, and we are new at this tag stuff. I am thrilled that I have never run into some of the people here (not everyone) when we forgot to display it. Her bones are basically disolving from the massive chemo and radiation therapies. She looks thin, but with make-up, doesn't appear handicapped. If someone were so nasty or vandalized our car because we forgot the tag, I think it would put us right over the edge. We aren't too far from that anyway, at this point.

Now, blocking a vehicle and waiting for security, is a calm rational way to deal with the situation. Frankly, I would understand being ticketed, but nastiness is not called for.

Allensfan, have a lovely trip. My mom had a ball! And phooey on anyone who tries to rain on your parade, with your honey and his transport.

bumpysheep said:
This is exactly my problem. I can't get plates because I don't own my car and it's not register in my name, so I have a placard. Yet, my neurological problems make me much more likely than most to forget to put it up. I actually have a notation on tha accompnaing card the is for people with neuro issues who are more likely to not remeber to display it. That way if someone blocks me in, I just show the police the placard and ID and they know what the designation means.

I'm sorry, I was not aware you had neurological problems. I have to ask, and I'm truly not flaming, if your issues cause you to forget to put up your placard, is it even safe for you to be driving??

LindsayDunn228 said:
I'm sorry, I was not aware you had neurological problems. I have to ask, and I'm truly not flaming, if your issues cause you to forget to put up your placard, is it even safe for you to be driving??

yes, it is. i have a difficult time sequencing my thoughts to remember that once I am parked but before i transfer to my chair to display it. i do my best to remember but about 25% of the time I am already in the check out of the shop when i suddenly remember i didn't hang it up. if i remember before or early on i go back outside and make sure it's displayed.

i will say i have a friend with CP that has the same issue. i (we) have to park, transfer, get my service dog out of his crate, hook him up to my chair, and get out. it should be second nature for my to put the placard up as sson as im parked but my brain just can't work that way. now my friend with CP had a placard for a while but she finally decided it ws too complicated, luckily she was able to get plates and it became a non issue. i can't get plates, so i'm doing what and can, unfortunately it involves a lot of forgeting.

Thanks Noodleknitter.

I have never been to Disney and I have never had a sick hubby, so this is all new to me. All my life I have been lucky enough to never need to park in a HP spot, and I have always been kind to people that have to park there. Now the we are the ones with the HC tag, find myself being so aware of how people act like fools. We try to still park in a regular spot and only use HC spot if he is having a really bad moment. We try and save them for people more needy than us. :wave2:

I understand and sympathize with those who have blocked cars in the HP spots, but aren't you also lining yourself up for a ticket as well? Or a harrassment lawsuit? It's not legal to park outside of the marked spots in MA, don't know how else it is done in other states.

I'm sorry to say that I will also be one of the persons who need to rent an ECV to navigate Disney, but can get off the scooter to get onto the ride. Not all disabilities are visible and I would gladly exchange my disability with someone who questions the need for the ECV, just assumes that a person who is using it to get to the front of the line, which isn't the case because most lines are handicapped accessible. Prior to judging someone just remember bad health can arise at anytime for anyone and someday you may be the person that the people are judging, unseen or seen problems. I never thought I would have this need either and hope everyone who judges others stays in good health. :)

Schmeck said:
I understand and sympathize with those who have blocked cars in the HP spots, but aren't you also lining yourself up for a ticket as well? Or a harrassment lawsuit? It's not legal to park outside of the marked spots in MA, don't know how else it is done in other states.
Probably not, because the drivers blocking violators aren't parking, they're just waiting there temporarily to assist law enforcement.

MightyMom said:
Today I took my son to school. I pulled into the lot and both the handicap spaces were taken. (yes, the school only has TWO!)

This is one of my biggest pet peeves! People either park in the spot or in the cross hatch area. Both of my DS use wheelchairs and the spots are constantly being misused by parents dropping off and picking up kids. I always hear, " But it was just for a minute!" Ugh!
I have a hard time believing that people do not know they cannot park somewhere that has lines across it that is next to a handicap spot.
Can't tell you how many times we have been unable to attend events at the school due to parking. I've never been bold enough to block someone in and call the police, but maybe it would help!

I only use my hang tag when I'm driving a rental car but when I do I always store my placard on the dashboard. It's tucked into the drivers side corner with the expiration date face up. That way if I somehow forget to put the placard on the mirror it's still visible to someone who looks on the dashboard. So those of you who often forget to hang yours this might save you a ticket.

icelady said:
I'm sorry to say that I will also be one of the persons who need to rent an ECV to navigate Disney, but can get off the scooter to get onto the ride. Not all disabilities are visible and I would gladly exchange my disability with someone who questions the need for the ECV, just assumes that a person who is using it to get to the front of the line, which isn't the case because most lines are handicapped accessible. Prior to judging someone just remember bad health can arise at anytime for anyone and someday you may be the person that the people are judging, unseen or seen problems. I never thought I would have this need either and hope everyone who judges others stays in good health. :)
I don't think anyone on this thread is judging people with invisible disabilities. What people are complaining about is people who are parking in handicapped parking spots and don't have a handicapped parking permit displayed. Some people might have a handicapped parking permit just forgot to put it up in view, but it's more likely that someone parked in the handicapped spot without a permit doesn't have one.

Schmeck said:

I hardly think a harrassment lawsuit would hold water in court. I know two wrongs don't make a right...... but I refuse to let my son's rights be trampled upon while our elected officials do nothing about it.

The passage of the ADA nearly 16 years ago made rights of the disabled a national priority. It does not sit well with me that people in violation of these laws get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

I only block these people in when I'm at my son's school and there are no other parking spaces available. If people don't like it..... they'll have to deal with it. I can not carry my two year old son in one arm, carry a gait trainer in another arm and push my seven year old in his wheelchair. I maybe MightyMom but I am NOT wonder woman! :blush:

In my cell phone I have the non-emergency numbers for the Sheriff's Departments in Orange, Osceola and Polk Counties, and the Police Departments in Orlando and Kissimmee. They are generally more than happy to dispatch someone to write a handicap parking violation.

MarieS said:
I've never been bold enough to block someone in and call the police, but maybe it would help!

Try it sometime..... it might make you feel better. Seriously though, carry the police dept's phone number with you (not 911 cause this isn't an emergency) Everytime you see a car parked illegally.... Call the police dept. Eventually they'll get sick and tired of you calling....and hopefully it will force them into action.

Let me just add this thought.

I have little sympathy for those who say they forget to put up their placard. If I forgot to stop at a stop sign.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot to drive the speed limit.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot my drivers license at home or proof of insurance..... I would still be ticketed.

The same goes for those who forget to put up their placard. They've broken the law and they should be ticketed. I don't think those tickets should be voided either. I think if they show up to court and present a valid accessible parking permit the penalty fee should be waived.... but they should still be charged the court costs or a standard fee. It's a waste of the police depts time and resources...... and someone has to foot the bill.... might as well be the person who is responsible.... the person who forgot to display their placard.

MightyMom said:
Let me just add this thought.

I have little sympathy for those who say they forget to put up their placard. If I forgot to stop at a stop sign.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot to drive the speed limit.... I would still be ticketed.

If I forgot my drivers license at home or proof of insurance..... I would still be ticketed.

The same goes for those who forget to put up their placard. They've broken the law and they should be ticketed. I don't think those tickets should be voided either. I think if they show up to court and present a valid accessible parking permit the penalty fee should be waived.... but they should still be charged the court costs or a standard fee. It's a waste of the police depts time and resources...... and someone has to foot the bill.... might as well be the person who is responsible.... the person who forgot to display their placard.

Wow. Have you considered counseling for your hostility. I am one of those horrid occasional forgetters. Out of the 10 trips out I make a week, my mom may be with me 2. It will never be a "habit." She will be dead long before it could be. I will happily pay a ticket, if I am reported, or an officer notes my mistake. Somehow, I think the court system isn't nearly as hostile as you seem, though. Were I approached by someone as mentioned here, I would have smiled, said thank you, and walked right out to fix the situation. And been terribly grateful for nice people.

You can be self righteous and correct and still be kind and have compassion. Sure your situation is hard, but ours isn't exactly beer and skittles either.

MightyMom said:

I don't know where you live, but where I live, if you forget to have proof of insurance, you can take your ticket and proof down to the court house. You do not have to show up at court. Just show it to the cashier, she/he voids the ticket and you are on your way. They do not treat it like blowing through a stop sign.

They should no more "foot the bill" than the people that call the police because they think they hear something outside and it is a cat. The police are there for more than arresting people and ticketing people. One very nice police officer, this weekend, took my son into his car with the air conditioning because my son wasn't feeling well on a walk. The officer got him cooled down and gave him a bottle of water. I guess I should get a bill for the gas the officer used and the bottle of water? I would think not.

Also, for those of us that have the Temp placard, it won't become habit. I hope to not have it that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter