Rumor: The Great Movie Ride closing for good?

can't believe how long this thread has been going on! I would be sorry to see it go. With all the rumored changes, I'm not sure how many rides/attractions DHS is going to have. For me, it's already only worth a few hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tore down the chinese theatre all together and along with the name change constructed a new park icon that they have the rights to that isn't just a big hat. TGMR is a must do for us but its never busy, generally only running at half capacity when we are there, and hasn't changed possibly ever. I noticed the last time we visited that they had removed the carousel horse from Mary Poppins from the que which made me sad because I wanted to show it to my girls

They need to either update the scenes, or take out the ride, and make it a Hollywood museum of sorts especially since the they closed the AFI exhibit. I would hate to see them take down the Grauman's Chinese Theater or see the park lose more of its golden age of Hollywood theming with the likely expansions of their Star Wars and Pixar properties which I am all for admittedly.

They definitely need to do something. After 25 years the park is still a half a day experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tore down the chinese theatre all together and along with the name change constructed a new park icon that they have the rights to that isn't just a big hat. TGMR is a must do for us but its never busy, generally only running at half capacity when we are there, and hasn't changed possibly ever. I noticed the last time we visited that they had removed the carousel horse from Mary Poppins from the que which made me sad because I wanted to show it to my girls

They will probably build the Ice Castle from Frozen and put a 20,000 sq. ft. merchandise store in it.

GMR is rumored to have some major changes coming soon. Whether they mean a completely new ride system or not remains to be seen but whatever it is has a very sizeable budget. I just hope it doesn't lose it's same idea/concept because we don't need another thrill ride nor another ride filled with motion simulators and projections.

Yes, it SHOULD go away... or at least be radically changed. That ride is tired, and many of the movies that it showcases are unknown to people in their 50's. Time to wrap that up and make it new. Preferably with a television focus.

I just made fastpass reservations for my December trip, and the Great Movie Ride was not offered as a choice (unless I missed it). Does anyone know what's going on?

I listened to a podcast last night from Touring Plans and they said TGMR is definitely going away. Seems strange that none of the original opening day attractions will be in the park anymore. He also said that the Indy show is staying but I thought it was confirmed to be closing after December. That makes me wonder if Star Wars is getting put on the back burner again and they are doing Pixar first. ugh.

Pixar is most likely going where the backlot tour is. So it makes sense to make Pixar first. Its a part of the park that is closed off to guests. So it wont disrupt anything.

Get Pixar up and running and once that's up start doing star wars where indy is .

Its the least disruptive way to do things.

Yes, it SHOULD go away... or at least be radically changed. That ride is tired, and many of the movies that it showcases are unknown to people in their 50's. Time to wrap that up and make it new. Preferably with a television focus.
TV is so dreadful for the most part that I hope that they don't focus on TV. I worry that it would be all about the dreck on the Disney channels if they do.

I would love to see them keep a few of the classic scenes such as Casablanca and the Wizard of Oz and maybe add new scenes with better animatronics.

The ride doesn't need to completely go away, no matter how old it gets, it's still something we ride every trip. It's such a cool concept, and the idea was genius. There are scenes that need to be left in, but there are some movies that could be replaced with updated movies. There's so many more recent classics than what's there. I think the big one that needs to stay is Wizard of Oz. Other than that there are replaceable movies, Alien is the first one to come to mind, then the name escapes me but it has the synchronize swimmers. I love the ride and would hate to see it go forever, but I think it does need a major overhaul.

TV is so dreadful for the most part that I hope that they don't focus on TV. I worry that it would be all about the dreck on the Disney channels if they do.

I would love to see them keep a few of the classic scenes such as Casablanca and the Wizard of Oz and maybe add new scenes with better animatronics.

Have you watched "once upon a time" yet this season? You can really feel Fonzie putting on the water skiis.

The problem with closing it down to update it (replace scenes, etc.) is that there is so little else to ride in the park.

Especially since you can't ride TSMM now without a Fastpass, so basically if you're a day guest you're screwed. If they closed GMR that means you can do RNR and ToT, then go to EPCOT XD

Especially since you can't ride TSMM now without a Fastpass, so basically if you're a day guest you're screwed. If they closed GMR that means you can do RNR and ToT, then go to EPCOT XD

Isn't the TSMM FP+ only testing complete now?

And please don't close GMR. Just update it.

GMR is one of my favorites its also original I say give it an update!

If they did do a complete refurb on the TGMR how do we think they would do it?

Classic movies like it currently has but updated or literally whole new Movies?

Maybe change the areas to include their more Live action based movies with a Pirates of the Caribbean scene, Oz Great and Powerful scene, Alice in Wonderland scene and dare i say... Lone Ranger?

I think the problem with occasionally updating GMR like some have suggested is that it falls into an old thought experiment.

If you have a ship and replace 1 part, say the mast, do you still have the same boat? What if 1 piece at a time you replace something until you eventually end up replacing everything. At what point in time is it no longer the original boat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter