Rumor: The Great Movie Ride closing for good?

I think the problem with occasionally updating GMR like some have suggested is that it falls into an old thought experiment.

If you have a ship and replace 1 part, say the mast, do you still have the same boat? What if 1 piece at a time you replace something until you eventually end up replacing everything. At what point in time is it no longer the original boat?

Meh, I think most people would be ok we replacing/updating the whole thing as long as Wizard of Oz was never removed. Maybe keep Indy since they are eventually removing the stunt show. I guess I would miss the gangster/cowboy taking over the tour but they would probably replace it with something new and better. Maybe Darth Vader!

I think the problem with occasionally updating GMR like some have suggested is that it falls into an old thought experiment. If you have a ship and replace 1 part, say the mast, do you still have the same boat? What if 1 piece at a time you replace something until you eventually end up replacing everything. At what point in time is it no longer the original boat?
The cells in my body are destroyed and recreated one at a time over the course of seven years, but I'm still me.

This isn't precisely true, but the majority of cells are replaced at differential times.

The cells in my body are destroyed and recreated one at a time over the course of seven years, but I'm still me.

This isn't precisely true, but the majority of cells are replaced at differential times.

woah.jpg

I think the problem with occasionally updating GMR like some have suggested is that it falls into an old thought experiment.

If you have a ship and replace 1 part, say the mast, do you still have the same boat? What if 1 piece at a time you replace something until you eventually end up replacing everything. At what point in time is it no longer the original boat?

How do you define boat? Or original?

:)

In my opinion, in the case of the boat, the mast is not the boat. You can replace the mast, and it is still the same boat. You can replace the rudder. You can replace the boards...when it's done in stages, and it doesn't change the fundamental character of the boat, it's still the same boat. But if in the process you turned a runabout into a yacht - not the same boat.

Same for the attractions. You can replace a scene - you can replace ALL of the scenes, but as long as the character of the attraction is the same, it's still the same attraction.

Test Track pushed that a bit. They completely redressed it. But ultimately it is still the same ride, just a different theme (and more neon).

But "character" is an intangible, and up to the opinion of the person.

Heard a new rumor that's interesting. GMR will get a total redo with a large piece of the ride having a guardians of the Galaxy tie in. I've also heard that the facade of the ride may change from being the Chinese theater because disney doesn't own the rights to use it so they can't use it in merchandise etc.

Heard a new rumor that's interesting. GMR will get a total redo with a large piece of the ride having a guardians of the Galaxy tie in. I've also heard that the facade of the ride may change from being the Chinese theater because disney doesn't own the rights to use it so they can't use it in merchandise etc.

The "rights" issue has never been anything more than an Internet myth.

Architecture built prior to 1976 could not be protected by copyright. It wasn't until then that the U.S. copyright laws were changed to include distinctive architecture. Grauman's Chinese Theatre was built in 1927.

Trademark is another issue, but Disney would likely have to represent the building as the Chinese Theatre, which it doesn't do.

The "rights" issue has never been anything more than an Internet myth. Architecture built prior to 1976 could not be protected by copyright. It wasn't until then that the U.S. copyright laws were changed to include distinctive architecture. Grauman's Chinese Theatre was built in 1927. Trademark is another issue, but Disney would likely have to represent the building as the Chinese Theatre, which it doesn't do.
I think it only matter if disney starts selling merchandise with the theater on it. Most DHS merch has the hat or the water tower.

rteetz said:
I think it only matter if disney starts selling merchandise with the theater on it. Most DHS merch has the hat or the water tower.

I don't think the rights matter one way or the other. I doubt Disney would use the theater as their symbol since it represents something that isn't Disney and isn't in Florida. Now a life size imperial walker... THAT would be an icon!

I don't think they plan to use the water tower, the hat or the chinese theater as the icon. They represent the past of the park, its supposed ''movie studio'' theme, and if they really are going for a different theme, those icons wouldn't make much sense. And an imperial walker is way too specific for the icon of a non-Star Wars focused park.

They don't even have to build it at the center of the park. Go for the Grizzly Peak approach and get a great logo and that should suffice.

I don't think they plan to use the water tower, the hat or the chinese theater as the icon. They represent the past of the park, its supposed ''movie studio'' theme, and if they really are going for a different theme, those icons wouldn't make much sense. And an imperial walker is way too specific for the icon of a non-Star Wars focused park.

They don't even have to build it at the center of the park. Go for the Grizzly Peak approach and get a great logo and that should suffice.

There's a rumor that they want to change from "Disney's Hollywood Studios" to "Disney's Hollywood Adventure", to demphasize the production aspect (which it hasn't been in many years) and more about the illusion that it is a representation of Hollywood. In which case using the theatre still makes sense.

I am a proud member of the baby boomer generation and that ride has a special place in our hearts. We can remember when about half of the movies referenced first came out and the other half were already classics when we were kids. Case in point: The Wizard of Oz! Every year they would show it on TV around Easter and every year my friends and I would talk about it about a week ahead of time. Come Sunday night, there I was sitting in front of our black & white TV in my PJ's at 7:45 sharp, 15 minutes early with some Jiffy Pop popcorn on the way from dear ole mom.

Mickey, if your reading this, please don't let them close down this ride as it's like a time machine for some of us. It does need an update and I would like to request some extra wheelchair space within the next 15 years.

There's a rumor that they want to change from "Disney's Hollywood Studios" to "Disney's Hollywood Adventure", to demphasize the production aspect (which it hasn't been in many years) and more about the illusion that it is a representation of Hollywood. In which case using the theatre still makes sense.

Disney's Hollywood Adventure is actually not a bad name. Maybe the studios part does need to go.

Im also wondering if Marvel is planned for the parks? *** studios would surely be the best option? I do not want Marvel in the Magic Kingdom

Disney's Hollywood Adventure is actually not a bad name. Maybe the studios part does need to go.

Im also wondering if Marvel is planned for the parks? *** studios would surely be the best option? I do not want Marvel in the Magic Kingdom

Marvel, in the form of most of the characters that are worthwhile, will not come to ANY WDW park unless Universal gives up their rights to them.

You _might_ get Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm sure Disney is hoping Big Hero 6 makes it big.

Marvel, in the form of most of the characters that are worthwhile, will not come to ANY WDW park unless Universal gives up their rights to them. You _might_ get Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm sure Disney is hoping Big Hero 6 makes it big.

Disney actually owns the rights to marvel not universal.

Disney actually owns the rights to marvel not universal.

it's complicated;), if you google can get the whole convoluted story, Orlando informer has a good take on it.

contracts are made to be broken/bought out, if Disney pony's up enough $$$ /has something to trade, Universal could budge as they have in the past.

I have been trying to figure out what would be a good name. I agree, that one works fine and does fit the idea much better.

it's complicated;), if you google can get the whole convoluted story, Orlando informer has a good take on it.

contracts are made to be broken/bought out, if Disney pony's up enough $$$ /has something to trade, Universal could budge as they have in the past.

Yes it I is complicated. There are a number of threads that cover the subject. In simplistic forms, if I understand it correctly, Disney can't use the Avenger family of superheroes, or Spiderman or X-men in WDW. While Disney has the movie rights to the Avengers family, they do not have the movie rights to Spiderman or X-men. None can be used in theme parks anywhere in the Eastern U.S. However, other Marvel characters, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6 are fair game and you will see them in the parks. Also, there are articles saying that Marvel is going to play up new characters, and will play down X-men. Why do more comics that benefit others when you can focus on other comics from which you benefit 100%!?

I do not expect Universal to give up rights any time in my lifetime. They would want more than Disney would be willing to pay. And Disney wouldn't pay that much. They already earn licensing fees through Marvel for all Marvel characters that Universal and Fox use.

I can see the park becoming some sort of ''Inside the movies'' instead of a ''Behind the movies'' type of thing. I guess that at the end of the day, the Chinese Theater could become the icon, but I don't think it's ''Disney enough'' to consider it a Disney icon in your merchandise/panplhets. What they could do is do what Disneyland Resort does with their parks. They play more with the idea of the whole landscape being an icon instead of having one single icon. I mean, sure, DL has Sleeping Beauty castle and Grizzly Peak, but a lot of people see the Matterhorn and Paradise Pier as part of the icon. They could do that with DHS, you know... Use the landscape.

I don't know. I'm sure they'll find something good to represent the new stage of the park.

Yes it I is complicated. There are a number of threads that cover the subject. In simplistic forms, if I understand it correctly, Disney can't use the Avenger family of superheroes, or Spiderman or X-men in WDW. While Disney has the movie rights to the Avengers family, they do not have the movie rights to Spiderman or X-men. None can be used in theme parks anywhere in the Eastern U.S. However, other Marvel characters, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6 are fair game and you will see them in the parks. Also, there are articles saying that Marvel is going to play up new characters, and will play down X-men. Why do more comics that benefit others when you can focus on other comics from which you benefit 100%!?

I do not expect Universal to give up rights any time in my lifetime. They would want more than Disney would be willing to pay. And Disney wouldn't pay that much. They already earn licensing fees through Marvel for all Marvel characters that Universal and Fox use.

Fantastic Four is also off the table. And to emphasize the point, Marvel is reportedly postponing/canceling a a new F4 comic series that would have debuted around the same time as the movie reboot from Fox.

Universal is in the drivers seat when it comes to the theme park rights. They are going to want a premium to be bought out, since they'd have to spend a premium to revamp an entire area of IOA including several popular attractions, which would come at a high cost. Disney would certainly have to cover all those costs, plus pay a pretty premium on top of that.

Fantastic Four is also off the table. And to emphasize the point, Marvel is reportedly postponing/canceling a a new F4 comic series that would have debuted around the same time as the movie reboot from Fox. Universal is in the drivers seat when it comes to the theme park rights. They are going to want a premium to be bought out, since they'd have to spend a premium to revamp an entire area of IOA including several popular attractions, which would come at a high cost. Disney would certainly have to cover all those costs, plus pay a pretty premium on top of that.

Disney can and is using marvel at all of their other parks. Anaheim has meet and greets and Hong Kong is getting an iron man attraction. I'm sure Shanghai will have a marvel presence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter