Running On Empty

Week ?? of ?? (Training plan will start the week after my Half on September 12th)
We are 121 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

I have not posted in two weeks. It has been a challenging August and I am giving it my all to keep moving forward. I have incorporated foam rolling into my daily routine to work out the shin-splints. It is painful, but I am noticing an improvement.

Week of August 23-29:
Monday - off​
Tuesday - 5.02 miles for 0:51:04 @ 10:10 min/mi.​
Wednesday - 1.03 miles for 10:19 @ 10:01 min/mi. Shin Splints acted up and I stopped. Went home an spent 60 minutes on the elliptical.​
I went out an purchased a firm foam roller. Started rolling out my shin splints on Wednesday night. I have continued to roll out my calf muscles everyday since. It appears to be working well for my shin splints.​
Thursday - 3.15 miles for 0:30:06 @ 9:33 min/mi.​
Friday - off​
Saturday - 10.61 miles for 1:54:50 @ 10:49 min/mi.​
Sunday - 3.02 miles for 0:46:15 @ 15:19 min/mi.​
Something is not right. I got 0.25 miles into the run and I felt like I could not take in enough oxygen. My chest felt tight and I could not keep going. I walked for 30 seconds and started up again. I got another 0.15 miles and had to walk again. I attempted to run again when I got the 1 mile mark and only lasted 0.15 miles. I attempted again about a minute later and made 0.1 miles. I walked until mile 2 and attempted to run again. The same results as mile one. Looking at the HR data, my HR never got above 150 before I started walking. During my long run on Saturday, it was up in the 155 range for most of the run.​
Week of Aug30-Sep05:
Monday - off​
Tuesday - 1.37 miles for 0:18:17 @ 13:21. I got 0.68 miles into the run @ 10:00 min/mi. pace before I had to walk. Again, out of breadth. HR increased up to 158 when I started to walk. HR settles down within about 2 minutes or 0.1 miles of walking, but still have the tightness in the chest until the run is complete.​
Wednesday - off​
Thursday - 1.40 miles for 0:19:18 @ 13:46. I got 0.5 miles into the run @ 9:15 min/mi. pace before I had to walk again. Again, out of breadth. HR increased up to 150 when I started to walk. HR settles down within about 2 minutes or 0.1 miles of walking, but still have the tightness in the chest until the run is complete.​
Friday - 1.39 miles for 0:19:21 @ 13:53. I got 0.5 miles into the run @ 9:30 min/mi. pace before I had to walk again. Again, out of breadth. HR increased up to 151 when I started to walk. HR settles down within about 2 minutes or 0.1 miles of walking, but still have the tightness in the chest until the run is complete.​
Saturday - Walking - 5.61 miles in 1:32:48 @ 16:33. Avg HR 110.​
Sunday - Walking - 5.99 miles in 1:37:18 @ 16:15. Avg HR 106.​

At a minimum, I am trying to keep moving to not lose all my running fitness, but it has been difficult to do so.

At this point I am assuming I have some sort of lung infection going on. I am going to give it one more week to heal itself before I start bugging the medical profession.

Next Sunday's Half marathon may end up being a 13.1 mile walk. We shall see.

I hope everyone's running is going well. Stay safe and healthy out there!

If we're voting, I'm with the others about going to the doctor sooner rather than later. You are too fit to be suddenly unable to breathe unless something is pretty wrong. I hope you get it diagnosed quickly and get to treatment.

You guessed right. I ended up having a minor heart attack.

I am home now resting. Once I get to my cardio therapy appointment I will give you an update.

My update for this week. We are 113 days from Dopey 2022!

4 walks:
  • 2 in the hospital for a total of 3.1 miles.
  • 2 at home so far for a total of 2.4 miles.

Yikes! I hope your rehab process goes smoothly and that you make a full and speedy recovery. And your comment on walking miles at the hospital reminds me of the guy who I ran behind during Boston Marathon 2011. He had a homemade-inscribed running shirt detailing his run streak----and how he got in miles at the hospital during his heart attack!

So glad you got it checked out! I echo the "be patient" from above. You have many more years of running ahead of you, so missing some days or weeks will be OK.

Have only just logged in after a few weeks out and seen your news, very sorry to hear this but you are in the right place. Rest up and wishing you a swift recovery

Weekly Update for the week of September 13th:

We are 106 days away from Dopey 2021.

I have not been able to run yet, but boy do I really want to! This week I went out for 5 walks and have been told no more than 30 minutes each. I have found through experimentation that it is easier to do them first thing in the morning before I take my medication.

Total distance = 8.4 miles
Total time = 2:34:54

When I get the go ahead, I will look into a modified training plan for Dopey. I still have hope I can attend, but no longer will I be looking for a PR. I will be looking to finish.

Weekly Update for the week of September 20th:

We are 100 days away from Dopey 2021.

I have not been cleared to start running again yet. I have a stress test on Tuesday to see where I stand and what I will be able to do going forward. They already hinted to me over the phone that I will not be running like I used to for a while. They stated I will be exercising based on HR targets. I need to start thinking about how to make a HR plan when everything I have done up to this point has been based on speed. I do not think it will take too much to adjust.

Number of walks = 7
Total distance = 14.48 miles
Total time = 3:43:29

Had a stress test yesterday...and the results are in...I have been cleared for running again!

The restrictions = must keep my HR in the range of 110 - 130 BPM + 5 days a week of running + must include 10 min WU and CD (WU&CD must be below 110 BPM)
The challenge = 14 weeks until the MW 5k = 69 running days left for me to get in shape.

I will start tomorrow with the first run since August 28th. This will be a test run to find out what sort of pace I will be dealing with to remain in the HR range. It will be a 10 min WU + 10 min run + 10 min CD. Short and (hopefully) sweet.

that’s great news!

If they put you on a beta blocker (I think? Usually ends with -lol), that heart range might not be too much of a stretch! After DH had his stent put in, they put him on one and when he went to cardiac rehab they acted like they didn’t know what to do with him (a fairly fit 37yo) because he had to RUN to get his he up where they wanted.

Had a stress test yesterday...and the results are in...I have been cleared for running again!

The restrictions = must keep my HR in the range of 110 - 130 BPM + 5 days a week of running + must include 10 min WU and CD (WU&CD must be below 110 BPM)
The challenge = 14 weeks until the MW 5k = 69 running days left for me to get in shape.

I will start tomorrow with the first run since August 28th. This will be a test run to find out what sort of pace I will be dealing with to remain in the HR range. It will be a 10 min WU + 10 min run + 10 min CD. Short and (hopefully) sweet.

Yay for being able to run again! That's a really low HR range that they've given you. Good thing the weather is cooling off because that will help. I hope your test run goes well!

Thanks.

Completed my test run today. Oh how I have missed you.

10 min WU + 10min run + 10 min CD

2.33 miles at an average pace of 12:57 min./mi.

I did the WU and CD as a brisk walk. My goal was to keep my HR under 110 for these two sections. Ended up with 0.65 miles at a pace of 15:28 for the WU and 0.66 miles at a pace of 15:09 for the CD. (Fast enough to beat the balloon ladies). For the run, I ended up going 1.01 miles at a 9:52 pace. This kept my HR at an average of 118 BPM.

I think I now have a pace that should keep me in my HR range of around 10 min./mile. We shall see if that holds true when I build back up to the longer distances.

Week 01 of 14
We are 93 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

Summary:
3 walks for a total of 8.68 miles and 4 runs for a total of 12.11 miles. This is my first week of running in over a month. The training will be hard over the next 14 weeks, but I am up for the challenge!

Monday:
  • 0:30:56 walk
  • 2.13 miles
  • 14:30 min./mi. average pace
  • 93 BPM average
  • Was still restricted to 30 minutes of walking
Tuesday:
  • Stress test
  • Every 3 minutes they would increase the angle on the treadmill and also increase the speed.
  • I went for 15 minutes before I mentally decided to stop. I have a mental hurdle that decided to stop me before I got my HR above 150 BPM. This is around the HR that I was at when I had issues. This is something I will be working on over the next 14 weeks.
  • Cleared for running. Keep the HR at 110-130 BPM for the next while.
Wednesday:
  • 0:51:10 walk
  • 3.58 miles
  • 14:17 min./mi. average pace
  • 92 BPM average
Thursday:
  • 10 min. WU + 10 min. run + 10 min. CD
  • 0:30:07
  • 2.33 miles
  • 12:57 min./mi. average pace
  • 118 BPM average
Friday:
  • 10 min. WU + 15 min. run + 10 min. CD
  • 0:35:06
  • 2.88 miles
  • 12:11 min./mi. average pace
  • 102 BPM average
Saturday:
  • 10 min. WU + 20 min. run + 10 min. CD
  • 0:40:06
  • 3.27 miles
  • 12:15 min./mi. average pace
  • 108 BPM average
Sunday:
  • 0:46:13 walk
  • 2.97 miles
  • 15:35 min./mi. average pace
  • 91 BPM average
  • and...
  • 10 min. WU + 25 min. run + 10 min. CD
  • 0:45:07
  • 3.63 miles
  • 12:26 min./mi. average pace
  • 112 BPM average
I friend from work sent me a book to read called Endurance by Alex Hutchinson. There is a quote from early on in the book that is resonating with me right now that I want to share...

endurance: "...the struggle to continue against a mounting desire to stop" by Samuele Marcora​

This is going to be my mantra for the next while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter