Running On Empty

Week ?? of ??
We are 189 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

Summary:

Running Distance = 38.72 miles
Running Time = 7:11:39

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • Intervals!
  • 1 mi. WU + 4 x 1 mi. @ HM w/ 3 x 0.5 mi. RI @ WU + 1 mi. CD
  • 7.51 miles for 1:09:08 at a pace of 9:12 min./mi.
  • Not too bad on the HM pace: 8:14, 8:11, 8:08, 7:58.
  • This is the first time in a long time I have done my run in the morning. We have started a Heat Wave here and I need to get out before it becomes unbearable.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • 6.23 miles for 0:56:26 at a pace of 9:04 min./mi.
  • Just went out and hit start on the watch for a 10k. Did not try and keep a pace, just ran what felt good.
Friday
Saturday
  • 13.11 miles for 2:10:44 at a pace of 9:58 min./mi.
  • Wow. The sun beat me down on this run. My T+D was 130.6 when I started. I waited too long to get out the door. I was fighting a bit of nausea and a few moments of vertigo along the way. I am happy with my performance considering the circumstances.
  • What I learned. Take more fluids when it is this hot out.
Sunday

It was an extremely hot week of running. I am talking Texas style heat up here in Alberta. It is suppose to last through most of the week. I enjoyed both of my trail runs this week. I really do feel it is helping me build up stability and strength.

I hope everyone's running is going well. Stay safe and healthy out there!

Week ?? of ??
We are 182 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022! I hope I get in!

Summary:

Running Distance = 30.61 miles
Running Time = 6:13:55

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • 5.67 miles for 0:53:16 at a pace of 9:23 min./mi.
  • We were in the middle of a heat wave this week. I went out a lot earlier than I normally do. Typically I don't hit the pavement until around lunch time or later. I was out the door at 8am.
  • T+D was 132.6 at the start.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • Went up a mountain today.
  • The mountain trail is called Cox Hill Ridge. Believe me when I say that calling it a hill is an understatement! It was a pretty uneven trail with a lot of exposed roots and rocks. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/alberta/cox-hill-ridge
  • I broke the recording into two segments.
  • Going up it was mostly a hike.
    • 4.10 miles for 1:38:41 at a pace of 24:01 min./mi. with an elevation gain of 2,379 feet
  • Going Down was mostly a trail run.
    • 3.97 miles for 1:05:05 at a pace of 16:22 min./mi.
  • It was super hot out. T+D at the start was 148.6
  • Here are a couple of photos from the top.
Friday
  • Took the day off. The heat and exertion from the climb the day before took its toll on me. Needed an extra day to recover.
Saturday
  • 6.42 miles for 1:00:18 at a pace of 9:23 min./mi.
  • My T+D was 136 when I started.
  • I decided to mix things up at the end and cut the run off at 60 minutes. I then decided to do a bit of speed play the rest of the way home. Here is what I ended up doing (1.09 miles for 0:13:13):
    • Walk for 0:05:00 (average pace was 17:59)
    • Run for 0:02:21 (average pace was 7:25)
    • Walk for 0:01:44 (average pace was 16:51)
    • Run for 0:01:01 (average pace was 7:38)
    • Walk for 0:00:54 (average pace was 16:57)
    • Run for 0:01:02 (average pace was 7:02)
    • Walk for 0:01:10 (average pace was 19:21)
Sunday
  • 9.34 miles for 1:23:20 at a pace of 8:55 min./mi.
  • Had a break from the heat today T+D = 118
  • Felt strong and was not struggling because of the heat.
@DopeyBadger I do not want to take you away from more important things. I am going to dust of the plan we used last year to train for Dopey. I do not think I will need to extend it out to 22 weeks like I did last year. I have been keeping my mileage up and will most likely not need that long to peak.

I have a half Marathon on September 12 that I am going to run during training. If you say MW is week 0, I will be at t-17 weeks from Dopey. I have my Half marathon from Jan 2020 that I could use as a PoT, but my fitness is a lot higher than that now. It was around a 2:10. I could see myself going sub two and close to 1:53 if I pushed myself. However, I will be running with my Son and want to encourage him. Therefore I probably won't be outright racing.

Let me cobble together what I think the plan looks like and I will post sometime later this week.

Week ?? of ??
We are 182 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022! I hope I get in!

Summary:

Running Distance = 30.61 miles
Running Time = 6:13:55

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • 5.67 miles for 0:53:16 at a pace of 9:23 min./mi.
  • We were in the middle of a heat wave this week. I went out a lot earlier than I normally do. Typically I don't hit the pavement until around lunch time or later. I was out the door at 8am.
  • T+D was 132.6 at the start.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • Went up a mountain today.
  • The mountain trail is called Cox Hill Ridge. Believe me when I say that calling it a hill is an understatement! It was a pretty uneven trail with a lot of exposed roots and rocks. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/alberta/cox-hill-ridge
  • I broke the recording into two segments.
  • Going up it was mostly a hike.
    • 4.10 miles for 1:38:41 at a pace of 24:01 min./mi. with an elevation gain of 2,379 feet
  • Going Down was mostly a trail run.
    • 3.97 miles for 1:05:05 at a pace of 16:22 min./mi.
  • It was super hot out. T+D at the start was 148.6
  • Here are a couple of photos from the top.
  • View attachment 587005
  • View attachment 587006
Friday
  • Took the day off. The heat and exertion from the climb the day before took its toll on me. Needed an extra day to recover.
Saturday
  • 6.42 miles for 1:00:18 at a pace of 9:23 min./mi.
  • My T+D was 136 when I started.
  • I decided to mix things up at the end and cut the run off at 60 minutes. I then decided to do a bit of speed play the rest of the way home. Here is what I ended up doing (1.09 miles for 0:13:13):
    • Walk for 0:05:00 (average pace was 17:59)
    • Run for 0:02:21 (average pace was 7:25)
    • Walk for 0:01:44 (average pace was 16:51)
    • Run for 0:01:01 (average pace was 7:38)
    • Walk for 0:00:54 (average pace was 16:57)
    • Run for 0:01:02 (average pace was 7:02)
    • Walk for 0:01:10 (average pace was 19:21)
Sunday
  • 9.34 miles for 1:23:20 at a pace of 8:55 min./mi.
  • Had a break from the heat today T+D = 118
  • Felt strong and was not struggling because of the heat.
@DopeyBadger I do not want to take you away from more important things. I am going to dust of the plan we used last year to train for Dopey. I do not think I will need to extend it out to 22 weeks like I did last year. I have been keeping my mileage up and will most likely not need that long to peak.

I have a half Marathon on September 12 that I am going to run during training. If you say MW is week 0, I will be at t-17 weeks from Dopey. I have my Half marathon from Jan 2020 that I could use as a PoT, but my fitness is a lot higher than that now. It was around a 2:10. I could see myself going sub two and close to 1:53 if I pushed myself. However, I will be running with my Son and want to encourage him. Therefore I probably won't be outright racing.

Let me cobble together what I think the plan looks like and I will post sometime later this week.

Great pictures!! That looks like a fun trail! Maybe when it's not so hot though!

Here is what I am thinking for my MW 2022 Dopey plan. I am trying to shorten it from the 22 weeks I did last year to 18 weeks and include a Half PoT race on T-17 weeks. I have been keeping up my mileage and frequency of 5 days a week, so it should not be too bad jumping into the plan.

T-18 through T-15 weeks... This is where I am trying to figure out how to fit the Half marathon into my Dopey plan.

T-14 through T-10 weeks...

T-9 through T-5 weeks...

T-4 weeks through MW...

Week ?? of ??
We are 175 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022! I hope I get in!

I will keep it short and sweet today.

Summary:

Running Distance = 33.91 miles
Running Time = 5:31:49

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • 3.18 miles for 0:29:05 at a pace of 9:09 min./mi.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • 8.01 miles for 1:14:00 at a pace of 9:14 min./mi.
Friday
  • 13.12 miles for 2:07:31 at a pace of 9:43 min./mi.
Saturday
  • 3.13 miles for 0:27:48 at a pace of 8:52 min./mi.
Sunday
  • 6.47 miles for 1:13:25 at a pace of 11:21 min./mi.
  • My intention was to run this at a slower pace than normal, but it was not working out that way for the first 4 miles. I was in the Low 9:00 min./mi. Fortunately I ran into a friend along the path and fished the rest of my run with them. That made sure to slow my pace down.

Here is what I am thinking for my MW 2022 Dopey plan. I am trying to shorten it from the 22 weeks I did last year to 18 weeks and include a Half PoT race on T-17 weeks. I have been keeping up my mileage and frequency of 5 days a week, so it should not be too bad jumping into the plan.

T-18 through T-15 weeks... This is where I am trying to figure out how to fit the Half marathon into my Dopey plan.

View attachment 587422

T-14 through T-10 weeks...

View attachment 587423

T-9 through T-5 weeks...

View attachment 587424

T-4 weeks through MW...

View attachment 587425

So the HM in Week 17 is for POT, right? Not to be run at LR pace? If that's the case, then I'd be cautious with that 5k paced run the Tuesday after. A HM "A" effort will take about 7 days to recover from.

You probably also stretch your M Tempos from increase every 2 weeks to increase every 3 weeks. Then you can add in more 8-9-10 mile tempos. Unless you really feel the need for 4-5-6 mile tempos in your build up, but I think you can probably handle more.

Week ?? of ??
We are 168 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022! I hope I get in!

I will keep it short and sweet today.

Summary:

Running Distance = 14.6 miles
Running Time =2:21:18

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • Intervals: 1 mi. WU + 6 x 0.5 mi. @ HM w/ 5 x 0.5 mi. RI @ WU + 1 mi. CD
  • 7.53 miles for 1:14:18 at a pace of 9:52 min./mi.
  • The HM pace ranged from 08:17 to 08:24 min./mi.
  • I judged the distance incorrectly so I walked 3/4 of a mile home. The run felt really good.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • Temp Run -1.5 mi. WU + 1 x 6 mi. @ M Tempo+ 1.5 mi. CD
  • 7.07 miles for 1:07:00 at a pace of 9:28 min./mi.
  • Ended up cutting the run short and only did 4 of the 6 Tempo miles. The T+D was beating me down pretty good today. In addition, I had a niggle in my right calf that did not seem to go away.
Friday
  • Rest day
Saturday
  • Rest day
Sunday
  • Rest day
Well, I was playing with fire over the past few months and I think it finally caught up with me. After my long last Friday, I started to feel something in my right calf. It started out in the deep center of my calf. I initially thought it was due to dehydration and kept on moving. During the Saturday and Sunday runs I noticed it moved to the interior side of my right leg at the bottom of the calf. It feels like where the calf attaches to the bone right at the bottom of the muscle.

It does not hurt when I am running. I can feel it when I push off of my big toe while walking or climbing stairs.

So because of that, I decided to shut things down for the rest of this weeks runs and see if it will heal. Every day it feels better. Right now I will take off Monday as it is my normal run day and see what happens on Tuesday. I am thinking of scrapping my Interval run and just going out to test how it feels. If it returns, I may force myself to take another week off.

How's your running going with all the smoke in Calgary? Did you try to go out at all (if your injury is healing)?

There was a smog warning in effect in Montreal this morning, and I debated going out or going to my gym to do my run...

How's your running going with all the smoke in Calgary? Did you try to go out at all (if your injury is healing)?

There was a smog warning in effect in Montreal this morning, and I debated going out or going to my gym to do my run...
Thanks for the questions.

The smoke is pretty bad here right now. I was having a rough time over the past few days with my voice and eyes. I can definitely feel it. I will take that into account like T+D when I do go out. It is a personal choice whether to go on the treadmill or outside. Since it is warm outside, I will attempt that.

Fortunately or unfortunately I have not been out since last Thursday. Today will be my first attempt at seeing how the leg is feeling. It will be nice and slow for a mile or two and then a couple of speed changes to see how it feels.

I have been doing a bit of self diagnosis over the past few days to figure out where I went wrong, what the problem is and how to fix it. As of today, I am thinking it was what they call "Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome". I am thinking it was caused by the change in running shoes I did earlier this year. I moved from my old-reliable New Balance 840s to Brooks Glycerine 19s. The drop is different between the two, they are both neutrals, the NB has more room form me in the toe-box, and the NB does have a little more support.

I am also going off of the experience I had last year during my last training plan. If my legs were going to fall apart, they would have done so during that training plan. Since I survived that training cycle, I have the believe that the shoes I used were the right choice for me. Therefore I am going to go back to NB and see what happens.

Status Update:

I went out for a test run today to see how my leg was feeling.

I did notice I was a little "tight" all over due to not running for 4 day in a row. That was something I have not felt in a long while. After the first half mile or so, things started to loosen up quite a bit. The paces were controlled on purpose so I did not blow out my leg.

Total distance: 3.14 miles
Total Time: 0:28:37
Average Pace: 9:07 min./mi.
T+D: 130.6 (2.5%)

Break down:

Mile 1 - was really tight and at a slow speed. I was shooting for my EA pace, but ended up in EB (LR with T+D).
Mile 2 - was warmed-up and started to lengthen the stride and increase the cadence. I could feel tightness around the calf, but no swelling/pain.
Mile 3 - continued to keep the pace and did not notice an increase in inflammation or pain.

Post-run: We are 2 plus hours after and I do not feel any additional pain. I can feel exactly where the pain was before, but it is extremely muted right now. Looks promising!

What did I change: I put on a pair of my older NB 840v4's. Mentally I am convinced that the shoes may have been part of the problem. I guess I need to go out and get a new pair of shoes.

I am going to try to do slower runs for the rest of the week and see if I can handle the running load I was at before the injury. I want to see if the problem returns when I get to the longer distances/time on feet. If all goes well, I will adjust and start ramping back up the intervals and Tempo runs the week after.

Week ?? of ??
We are 160 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022! I hope I get a bib tomorrow morning!

Summary:

Running Distance = 26.87 miles
Running Time = 4:13:18

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • 3.14 miles for 0:28:37 at a pace of 9:07 min./mi.
  • This run was all about how my leg was feeling. Not too bad. A little tight, but not the pain I felt before.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • 6.23 miles for 1:00:45 at a pace of 9:45 min./mi.
Friday
  • 4.31 miles for 0:39:17 at a pace of 9:07 min./mi.
  • Had planned for 10k, but cut it short. The heat and smoke were negatively impacting my run.
Saturday
  • 8.08 miles for 1:16:23 at a pace of 9:28 min./mi.
Sunday
  • 5.11 miles for 0:48:06 at a pace of 9:24 min./mi.
  • I did the run Garmin recommend for me...48 minutes at a 10:05 pace.
This whole week was a test to see if my right leg could handle a return to running. In addition, I made a change back to NB 840v4 running shoes. There was a lot of soreness this week. Having only taken 4 days off in a row, I would not have thought I would feel that sore when returning to my running. I am going to chalk it up to the 4 days off as well as changing my running shoes.

We are surrounded by a lot of smoke that it starting to get to me. I can feel it in my lungs. I wonder if this is having a negative impact on my running.

I am going to introduce some speed work back into my running next week. I want to get my Intervals and Tempo runs back on track for a September race. I do not plan on going full out, but we shall see if I can get my fitness to a comfortable level by race dy.

I hope everyone's running is going well. Stay safe and healthy out there! ... and good luck during registration tomorrow!

Well...it looks like I am now committed to Dopey 2022. After multiple attempts to get everyone registered (Thanks Disney IT), I can now finally say we are all signed up for MW2022. My DD15 will run the 5k with me. My DS20 will run the Half with me. And I will pound the pavement for 48.6 in the Dopey Challenge. Congratulations to all those that have successfully signed up.

Now that I am committed, I am starting to think I need to get serious for my September Half. What do you think if I were to pick up the last 7 weeks of the Hal Higdon - Advanced Half plan?

It looks like this:

I would of course like to modify this to be 5 days a week (Monday and Wednesday off), up the 3 mile sessions to maybe 30-60 minutes and increase the Tempo run times a little bit. By keeping it as is, that would reduce my base load I am currently doing.

What do you think if I were to pick up the last 7 weeks of the Hal Higdon - Advanced Half plan?
I would of course like to modify this to be 5 days a week (Monday and Wednesday off), up the 3 mile sessions to maybe 30-60 minutes and increase the Tempo run times a little bit. By keeping it as is, that would reduce my base load I am currently doing.

I think if the goal is to run the HH Advanced HM plan, then run it as written. Each of these modifications as proposed is changing the author's original intent slightly. What about Intermediate 2 instead? It's five days a week + one cross day. It alternates tempo and 5k pace every other week.

Week ?? of ?? (Training plan will start the week after my Half on September 12th)
We are 154 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

Summary:

Running Distance = 29.01 miles
Running Time = 6:00:12

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • Intervals around the track
  • 0.5 mi. WU + 8 x 0.25 mi. @ 5k w/ 8 x 0.18 mi. RI @ WU
  • Had fun doing track work during the heat of the day. Was a nice change of scenery.
Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday
  • MTemp run
  • 1 mi. WU + 1 x 6 mi. @ M Tempo was the plan. Ended up doing 1 mi. WU + 1 x 5 mi. @ M Tempo + 1 mi. CD
  • 7.01 miles for 1:05:11 at a pace of 9:18 min./mi.
Friday
  • 60min. @ EA
  • 5.91 miles for 1:00:05 at a pace of 10:11 min./mi.
Saturday
  • Took Saturday off to try and rest my right leg before Sunday's longer run. This pain in my lower leg is more a nuisance more than anything. I can run with it no problem, but I am just hobbling around after my run due to inflammation. Even when I have the pain in my leg, I can run without it being too much of a bother.
Sunday
  • 12.14 miles for 3:18:03 at a pace of 16:19 min./mi.
  • Went out with the family to familiarize ourselves with the race course we will be attempting in September. T+D for the day was 140.
  • There were several stops along the way, a few missed turns, and a real test to see where everyone is in their training. Proud of them all for finishing.
My leg pain is still there. Subsides when I bring down the swelling with ice. I am on the fence on whether I stop running for a few weeks and impact my half in September or just run through it. It is not painful while running, more of a dull ache that I can typically ignore.

Smoke from BC fires is still filtering into my area. It has an impact on me. I have summer allergies and the smoke makes them even worse.

Have registered DD for the 5k, DS for the Half an Me for the Dopey in January. We have had hotels booked since early February, now I need to look into flights and park tickets. I hope it is not cancelled again this year!

Week ?? of ?? (Training plan will start the week after my Half on September 12th)
We are 147 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

Summary:

Running Distance = 11.48 miles
Running Time = 1:51:57

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday
  • 4.5 miles @ EA
  • 4.51 miles for 0:45:21 at a pace of 10:03 min./mi.

Wednesday
  • Intervals around the track
  • 0.5 mi. WU + 8 x 0.25 mi. @ 5k w/ 8 x 0.18 mi. RI @ WU
  • Not too bad. Stayed pretty close to the suggested pacing.

Thursday
  • 3 miles @ EA
  • 3.01 miles for 0:29:52 at a pace of 09:55 min./mi.

That is where I decided to shut things down. :(

The previous shin splint injury that I took four days off about two weeks ago has been hanging around. I could tolerate it over the past couple of weeks, but decided that I really need to stop and let it heal. It makes no sense for me to keep up my running with a dull pain and then limp around the house for the rest of the day.

ny tips for Shin splints? I have never had them before now. I am icing 3-times a day right now.

So now I am stressing over not being able to get out and run, loosing my fitness level, and also that I had a scheduled race on September 12th. I will try two weeks off and see if that is enough time to heal up before the race. In the meantime, I will try and find some activities I can do to keep up my cardio that do not involve taking a pounding on my right leg.

We are 141 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

I have not been out running since last Thursday when I shut things down. Today is day 10 since then and I do not feel any dull ache or pain anywhere for the first time. I have also noticed I do not feel any of the normal aches I have every morning when getting out of bed.

So I do not go stir crazy, I have been trying to fit in other activities so I do not lose all my fitness when I do startup again.

Sunday- Aug. 8
  • I blew the dust off of my old m580 stationary bike and took it for a 30 minutes spin. The speedometer no longer is registering, so I am not sure how far I went or what the power output was.
Tuesday- Aug. 10
  • Pulled out my old elliptical machine and got it working. I went for a 30 minute spin.
Wednesday - Aug. 11
  • Stationary bike for 60 minutes. Did the plateau training mode at level 5.
  • Bike started smelling like bringing rubber near the end.
Thursday - Aug. 12
  • Elliptical for 45 minutes
Saturday - Aug. 14
  • Elliptical for 60 minutes
Sunday - Aug. 15
  • Elliptical for 75 minutes
I am going to add in some leg strength training this week to see if my leg can handle it. My hope is to get back out running after at least 14 or 15 days of rest. Hopefully I will feel well good enough to start building my running back before my September 12th Half.

We are 133 days from the starting line for Dopey 2022!

I put myself on a no running program for 16 days and finally got back on the road near the end of this week. My hope was that 16 days was enough to rest my right leg from the shin splints I have been experiencing.

Monday - Aug 16
  • Rest
Tuesday - Aug 17
  • 45 minutes on the elliptical
Wednesday - Aug 18
  • 55 minutes on the elliptical
Thursday - Aug 19
  • 60 minutes on the elliptical
Friday - Aug 20
  • rest
Saturday - Aug 21
  • 5.02 miles in 0:46:02 with an average pace of 9:10 min./mi.
  • Everything felt awkward. It is funny how the body tightens up when you don't do a specific activity for a while. My hips felt tight, my stride did not quite feel right.
  • I ended up running the first 2 minutes in my normal spm of around 172-178. Then for some reason I increased that to 188 spm for the next 10 minutes or so. I had to forcefully slow myself back down to the right cadence. Overall the run was good. I noticed my cardio fitness is no longer where it was two weeks ago. I could feel it in my lungs. The good thing is that I did not have any nagging shin splint pain in my right leg!
Sunday - Aug 22
  • Woke up this morning with some sore leg muscles from yesterday's run.
  • 9.33 miles in 1:34:34 with an average pace of 10:08 min./mi.
  • The first 3 miles were at paces of 9:45, 9:45 and 9:29. I kept telling myself to slow down as I have not been out for 16 days. So for the remaining 6.33 miles I had a slower and slower pace: 10:07, 10:08, 10:12, 10:28, 10:46, 10:23, 10:31
  • The soreness in my legs was screaming at me by the end of this run. The good news is no pain in my right shin!
Overall I think is was a good return to running so far. I have a half marathon on September 12 I am trying to get ready for. Not sure that I will be in top shape for that race, but as long as I stay healthy I will be happy. I need to work on not trying for a 1:53:45 half on September 12 an accept I will be in a lower corral for MW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter