Saratoga Springs...Is this normal?

Nikki G

Mouseketeer
We are here now for our first DVC visit. We are at Saratoga Springs, and I must admit I'm a bit confused. We have no frame of reference as this is our first time staying DVC, but I was expecting actual dishes and stuff. We are in a studio and have paper plates, plastic utensils clearly taken from somewhere else as they are prepackaged with a napkin. The whole room is actually really tired looking, mini fridge falls forward and is missing a drawer, the lights are very dim, etc. Is this normal for Saratoga Springs or should I say something to the front desk?

We are here now for our first DVC visit. We are at Saratoga Springs, and I must admit I'm a bit confused. We have no frame of reference as this is our first time staying DVC, but I was expecting actual dishes and stuff. We are in a studio and have paper plates, plastic utensils clearly taken from somewhere else as they are prepackaged with a napkin. The whole room is actually really tired looking, mini fridge falls forward and is missing a drawer, the lights are very dim, etc. Is this normal for Saratoga Springs or should I say something to the front desk?
Yikes, sounds like you might need to physically speak to the front desk or Resort manager about broken items. FWIW- mostly studios do have disposable plates, cups and even silverware. You can request to have regular dinnerware though.

I don't mind the disposable dishes so much, less to wash! Just not what I expected. They didn't give us enough though so I'll have to request more. Wasn't expecting everything to be so dilapidated in the room. The bottom drawer of the dresser almost fell out onto my foot as it's broken

Welcome to the real DVC, many of the resorts have wear issues and low lighting, maybe other issues that need to be reported to housekeeping and maintenance/engineering. We seem to have something wrong on every visit, you get used to it after few stays.

:earsboy: Bill

DVC resorts run on near-100% capacity, and have an extended timeline for refurbishments. Being a bit beat up is the norm.

Studios have no dishwashers, so they provide disposable plates. Given the horror that people perpetrate in 1 and 2BR units with dishwashers, this is wise. Many DVC guests are less than tidy.

Our fridge did the same thing earlier this month at SSR but it didn't bother me much and we didn't have cups so I had to request some (took over an hour). Certainly didn't notice low lighting so maybe bulbs are out? Definitely report things broken or not working properly.

IMO even at full power they have chosen lower wattage bulbs. At BRV one bedroom we stayed in a unit on the 5th floor that had high ceilings and two of the three bulbs in the fixture above the kitchen were burned out. Maintenance was called to replace the bulbs and the only size that they stock are 60 watt equivalent. Due to the ceilings, those are not large enough. We had to use a flashlight to see the microwave and dishwasher controls. Our dues at BRV are $1700.

Call maintenance about the stuff falling apart! So many people decide they don’t have time or don’t want to bother with it, and that’s how things end up worse and worse.

The lights are dim because they are energy efficient lights that take a while to warm up to full power.

IMO even at full power they have chosen lower wattage bulbs. At BRV one bedroom we stayed in a unit on the 5th floor that had high ceilings and two of the three bulbs in the fixture above the kitchen were burned out. Maintenance was called to replace the bulbs and the only size that they stock are 60 watt equivalent. Due to the ceilings, those are not large enough. We had to use a flashlight to see the microwave and dishwasher controls. Our dues at BRV are $1700.

Apparently, they've made some bad choices to save $$. There are many LED bulbs out there (for residential and commercial use) that use very little electricity and are still give off very bright light. (They do not take any time to warm up, either). We recently changed the incandescent bulbs in our home to LED bulbs and are already saving several dollars per month. We should see payback in just over a year!

The color & temperature of the LED bulbs chosen make a huge difference in the amount / brightness of the light. I wish we had chosen something a little LESS bright, especially for the bedside lamps.

Sorry to hear that. We are here as well in a 1 BR with no issues. It is full to the brim so they may have not put the unit into “fix needed” because of that. Go to the front desk and politely/firmly ask that it be taken care of. You should not have furniture endangering your body.

With the point purchase price increasing so much I would think they would provide more than plastic and paper.

I would definitely say not normal. Honestly SSR has usually been one of the cleanest and well kept of all the villas we have stayed(usually 1 bedrooms though.)

Sorry you have experienced this, but don’t let it take away from the beauty of the place.

With the point purchase price increasing so much I would think they would provide more than plastic and paper.
Once sold the membership is responsible for the costs so the sales price really has little to do with this option going forward.

I wouldn't. Studios have no dishwasher, and you do not get daily housekeeping. Dues pay for ongoing things like this, not buy in.
Marriott's Grande Vista is a very similar resort to SSR and Marriott's general approach to studios is a King plus a pullout, microwave, small fridge and dishes including cooking options plus real silverware. They handle the cleaning without issue though I'm sure there is some cost to the process. I post this because it obviously can be done without a DW.

I don't have any issues with any lighting at any resort. How bright does it need to be? Yes SSR is ready for it's rehab.

Studios are stocked with paper plates and plastic utensils in all DVC resorts, and it's always been that way (except for the one time they took out the ceramic mugs and tried putting in styrofoam cups, didn't last too long.) They chose to do this because studios dont' have dishwashers. Other timeshares may choose differently, but this is what DVC always had. You have to move up to a 1 BR to be stocked with actual plates and metal silverware. But you can request them.

We were in SSR studio the week before xmas. I never thought it was odd that there were paper products in the cupboards. Since there is no kitchen, we don't really prepare any meals... if anything we just use the fridge to store leftovers and nuke them when we want to finish them. Nothing to clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter