Saw on TV last Night: John and Kate + 8 at WDW

I like Kate, too. I guess I just realize that life would be totally different with cameras on you a lot of the time. I also know that I overreact sometimes myself. I surely want to be the perfect Mother and Wife but I am absolutely no where close.

I personally think that all reality shows gear their episodes toward getting people intensely horrified by something, so that they'll watch again and again. I doubt that our view of John and Kate's relationship is anything close to what it actually is. Again, just my personal opinion. I've been wrong before! :o)

Anyone with more than 1 child knows that it's impossible to give all of your attention to both children at the same time. Imagine that times 8? I can't. I think that these kids are lucky to have what they have (2 parents, a nice home, food on the table, etc...) when so many children go without.

That being said.... I wish I had someone to pay for my Disney trip!! I don't think I'd trade situations with them, though... I'll stick with my family... I kinda like them :o)

My boys love this show. I enjoyed the Disney episode BUT I am getting tired of seeing them get "special" treatment every place they go. We have Monday's recorded where they went to see a live performance show---just from the scenes they got special treatment, there was one recently where they were at a small theme park near their home- special treamtent there. When they went on the trip to North Carolina- special treatment. I just wonder how they afford all the stuff- what are the kids going to do when they are older...show is no longer on...they go places and have to wait in line like everyone, don't get to go "behind the scenes", mom and dad can't afford all the things that they are getting now.

The kids seem like nice normal kids. Yes, Kate has her moments but I would probably lose it too with 8 kids. I don't know how they manage --her organization makes me jealous!!

The kids seem like nice normal kids. Yes, Kate has her moments but I would probably lose it too with 8 kids. I don't know how they manage --her organization makes me jealous!!

Jon now works from home, and Kate has help. That's how they manage.

When I watched the episode all I could think of was "What are the cast members thinking about her behavior?, We give her this special treatment and she acts like this?"

I would have been really annoyed if I was one of those cast members!!!

dunno why i read (and that's read as in past tense, not read) this..

ordinarily, i wouldn't get all jazzed up over someone not wearing ears either. especially considering that person would probably be me.

but if you had to look at it from someone else's perspective, perhaps indulging the whim of one child who didn't want to go along with the group could then encourage that same behavior in the 7 other children who may suddenly all decide that they all want to do 7 different things at once and have to rationalize why they can't all get their way when someone else can just by crying about it.

I think everyone is way too hard on Kate. She is obviously a Type A personality, as many of us are. She wants everything to be perfect and she can't help that. He kids are adorable, always look precious, and seem to get individual attention. I cannot imagine having 8. I do everything I can to make life wonderful for my 2 and I still lose my patience sometimes. I would hope she has some help. I think we all could use help around the house, cooking, etc. in order to spend quality time with our kids. I guess I don't understand why people think Kate is so bad. Give her a break!

I have to give my 2 cents here!!

maxie - I am from Canada too and have watched this episode for a year as well. I am glad you cleared that up for us. We are all watching the same TLC, with the same shows.

bradk - I like the way you put it. You cannot give in regardless.

On Maddy - for those of you that watch the show, Maddy is high strung and she would have had a meltdown about something else had it not been the ears. It was not the ears, it was Maddy. Notice, she was also the one that had the food meltdown later on in the show. Maddy needs her downtime, she almost shows symptoms of Autism in the sense that if she gets over-stimulated or over-whelmed she has a meltdown. No a temper-tantrum is not the right thing for an 8 year old, but she is in a very difficult situation that none of us could understand. She needs attention that is her nature, and all of the attention is always on the babies. I feel bad for her. Now, that being said, she does need to learn how to manage her emotions and verbalize without temper tantrums. But, she is 8, this will be an ongoing learning process for her and we have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes to assist her.

On Kate - Love her or hate her she has a tough job!! She does not have a chef (watch the show please). She does not have "maids" in the sense you are speaking (again watch the show). She has tons of assistance, mother's helpers and friends. Yes, there are people assisting her with meals. Yes one lady comes and does laundry and one folds, but these are family friends, not maids that have been hired. The folder, I cannot remember which Nana she is, but she has known the family for years. One of their helpers used to babysit Jon. She does NOT have it easy!!

Yes, many women have 6 or 8 kids - but how many have 6 2 year olds at once !! There is no comparision. She needs all the help she can get.

She is also a but highstrung, but she is doing something we cannot possible understand. There are days when I snap and I only have 1 - 3 year old. the thought of having 5 more makes me quiver!!

She is a lot like Maddy in that she does not always know how to verbalize and she is someone who reacts and reacts quickly to situations. While the ice cream thing was something we may not have reacted to, there are other things that occured that we may have reacted to. the Ice Cream was just her trigger. (My concern was more why did she not have a bag with a change of clothes for each kid, I mean that is all over the DISboards). I think we all have our moments that aren't so magical, and she allows us to see hers.

Also, Jon is great, but he is easily distracted and is sometimes not aware of what is going on. He is wonderful and alot of help, but anyone who has seen the show has to admit - he is very easily distracted.

And the most important thing to remember WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS ON THE EDITTING ROOM FLOOR!! The producers can lead us to perceive what they want, and drama sells. Therefore Kate and Maddy sell.

Sorry, I just have to reply one more time on that last post (and I really don't think we need to get into a big debate here). As a special education teacher I have to say Maddie does NOT show signs of autism. Absolutely positively not. She DOES show many signs of giftedness. I really think Kate should look into that. Ok, no more coments from me.

I watched an episode where they were taking the children to Sesame Place. Kate told Jon she wanted him in a bright shirt. She just didn't like the ones he kept putting on, and she made the grown man change three times!

I know Kate has a hard job. I'm only nineteen, but I'm the oldest of five children and have been babysitting them for... forever. (Btw, the youngest we adopted when she was two, and her behavior makes Maddie look calm!) But seriously, it's the happiest place on earth! She needs to chill out.

I am the mom of two kids w/ special needs, and maybe I have a small affinity w/ Kate b/c I was the mom of two preemies (2 and 3 lbs respectively) and a nurse.

I would say that Mady and Cara have gone through huge changes that no one other than older sibs of large multiples can understand. Seperate to that, it is estimated that 10% of kids have some sensory integration issues. Sounds seem louder, lights seem brighter, etc. Mady may be adapting to this. Cut them some slack- they're only 7! And I would say that in general, those children are all very well behaved; it's just that occasionally they have a moment, and they're always on film.

I'm amazed that even though the cameras may show Kate and Jon snapping at each other (no more than a lot of couples, I'm sure- and I've seen Jon give it as well as take...) that they show tremendous patience with their children. I'm sure some of you probably think that you could do better- maybe ya could- but I certainly couldn't. These are people who wanted 3 children- and got 8. They love their children, they love each other, they are making their lives work and appreciating the blessings that come with the tremendous challenges.

Jon now works from home, and Kate has help. That's how they manage.

They manage by "selling" their lives and childrens' lives to a reality t.v. show. Bascially they get a ton of stuff for free - she got her tummy tuck for free and they got their van for free amongst tons of other stuff. They also get paid a good amount of money for the reality t.v. show. When they first started the show you can tell they were struggling, now they bought a much bigger house, she has help - I believe a nanny and/or someone that cleans the house, he works from home and on every other show they are going on vacation.

I love John and Kate and even though Kate has her moments, I still love watching the show. Though the ice cream at Disney was just ridiculous. She overreacted big time.

I just love the and love seeing the kids grow before my eyes. I just have one thing to say with all the snacks in the park why would you give them ice cream before the meet the Princesses. And it look to me like they had the whole park to them selves
Tina

the problem I have with that Disney episode isn't that Kate freaked out over the ice cream spilling. Like pp have said, I'm sure we ALL have our freak outs at WDW. No, the problem is that when Kate is asked later, totally removed from the situation, whether she thought she overreacted, she DENIES that she did. okkkkay. :confused:

I have to give my 2 cents here!!

maxie - I am from Canada too and have watched this episode for a year as well. I am glad you cleared that up for us. We are all watching the same TLC, with the same shows.

bradk - I like the way you put it. You cannot give in regardless.

On Maddy - for those of you that watch the show, Maddy is high strung and she would have had a meltdown about something else had it not been the ears. It was not the ears, it was Maddy. Notice, she was also the one that had the food meltdown later on in the show. Maddy needs her downtime, she almost shows symptoms of Autism in the sense that if she gets over-stimulated or over-whelmed she has a meltdown. No a temper-tantrum is not the right thing for an 8 year old, but she is in a very difficult situation that none of us could understand. She needs attention that is her nature, and all of the attention is always on the babies. I feel bad for her. Now, that being said, she does need to learn how to manage her emotions and verbalize without temper tantrums. But, she is 8, this will be an ongoing learning process for her and we have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes to assist her.

On Kate - Love her or hate her she has a tough job!! She does not have a chef (watch the show please). She does not have "maids" in the sense you are speaking (again watch the show). She has tons of assistance, mother's helpers and friends. Yes, there are people assisting her with meals. Yes one lady comes and does laundry and one folds, but these are family friends, not maids that have been hired. The folder, I cannot remember which Nana she is, but she has known the family for years. One of their helpers used to babysit Jon. She does NOT have it easy!!

Yes, many women have 6 or 8 kids - but how many have 6 2 year olds at once !! There is no comparision. She needs all the help she can get.

She is also a but highstrung, but she is doing something we cannot possible understand. There are days when I snap and I only have 1 - 3 year old. the thought of having 5 more makes me quiver!!

She is a lot like Maddy in that she does not always know how to verbalize and she is someone who reacts and reacts quickly to situations. While the ice cream thing was something we may not have reacted to, there are other things that occured that we may have reacted to. the Ice Cream was just her trigger. (My concern was more why did she not have a bag with a change of clothes for each kid, I mean that is all over the DISboards). I think we all have our moments that aren't so magical, and she allows us to see hers.

Also, Jon is great, but he is easily distracted and is sometimes not aware of what is going on. He is wonderful and alot of help, but anyone who has seen the show has to admit - he is very easily distracted.

And the most important thing to remember WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS ON THE EDITTING ROOM FLOOR!! The producers can lead us to perceive what they want, and drama sells. Therefore Kate and Maddy sell.

from someone that knows her...yes she does have maids,a chef and many people who assist her in her daily life.yes some of these people were people they already knew, some were people who found her when she gave birth(the hospital det her up with help) and some are people who they have found through the show. they dont put everything on tv. remember that they are only filming a couple days a week for a couple hours a day.
the producers dont need to edit her, this *is*her.

brad..i completely agree that you cant let in to your childs every whim. but they were mickey mouse ears. who cares if none of the other kids wanted to wear them. they are mickey mouse ears. it comes down to she thought they were cute and she wanted her kids to look cute. well come one, your kids cant always be perfect. they were just mickey mouse ears!!!

her children are not autistic.

Sorry, I just have to reply one more time on that last post (and I really don't think we need to get into a big debate here). As a special education teacher I have to say Maddie does NOT show signs of autism. Absolutely positively not. She DOES show many signs of giftedness. I really think Kate should look into that. Ok, no more coments from me.

Sorry - I hope my original was clear - I said SIMILAR TO AUTISM, and clarified that she has meltdowns when over stimulated. I in no way was suggesting she has autism. I hope I was clear.

Editted - I guess I was wrong in my post SORRY everyone!! Oops :guilty: I meant to say SIMILAR TO not SYMPTOMS OF!! I apologize big time!!!

Sorry.:flower3:

I watched a few episodes of that show. It got old very quickly so I told my Tivo to make it go away. In my opinion, Kate overreacts and over controls. I'm glad that I'm not John.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter