Scooter (preggo wife and toddler) - Umbrella?

Does disney allow scooter umbrellas? (2019 rules)

• Total voters
I would take a transport chair versus a big scooter and push her when she's had enough. I could be wrong but I don't think crowd levels are going to be low anytime soon and it can be very frustrating maneuvering through the crowd. Plan a lot of breaks, even 15 minutes will be a huge help. I can remember waddling around the Magic Kingdom at 8 months and it really wasn't that bad. Keep reminding her to drink A LOT of water and take it easy. Congrats on the new baby and have a great trip.

I have been to Disney pregnant 3 times. Once was in the first trimester and two other times were at 24 weeks and 27 weeks. I had no issues and walked everywhere as I normally would, and it was 90 degrees plus on both of those trips. Unless there is a medical concern or a complication with the pregnancy that has limited your wife's mobility more than the normal amount, I wouldn't think a scooter is necessary. It just makes the process of loading it into a car or bus more tedious, and you can't get around into small spaces as easily.

OP- only your wife knows how much walking she will be able to tolerate. No one else’s pregnancy experience will be like hers or even matters. I would let your wife make the call on this one. Have a great trip!

Aside from the scooter and wife discussion, you mention taking uber to park every day. What about a car seat for toddler? I've never used uber but I thought car seats are not that common.

I was researching this earlier during the week. Orlando is one of the few cities in the US that have a carseat program. It's called uberFAMILY. Do a Google search for uberFamily and there should be some results explaining how it works.

Just answering about the ECV questions, not whether an ECV is necessary for pregnancy.

If you rent one, you want to choose a model that comes apart for transport. I can’t say whether or not it will fit in a trunk along with a stroller. The rental company might have some advice.

Best Price Mobility is one of the Disney Featured Providers, which means they can drop off and pick up from Bell Services at Disney resorts without you being present. The other company you mentioned is NOT a Featured Provider, so you would need to arrange for them to drop off and pick up from you directly.

The kind of umbrella in your picture would not be a good idea. It sticks out too far and has too many points where other guests come get hit with it.
There are ECV sunshades that some companies rent as an accessory. They do not stick out to the side any farther than the side of the ECV. Many people find them not to be particularly helpful - unless the sun is in the correct position, they won’t block it. They also can interfere with the driver’s ability to see and do need to be removed for shows if they interfere with other guests’ view.

Realized I failed to mention your actual question - as far as umbrellas. I don't see why they wouldn't be permitted. Guests can bring in and use umbrellas at Disney.

In my opinion if your wife’s pregnancy is high risk and she’s not comfortable walking perhaps waiting until next year would work better for everyone. She may enjoy a laid back beach vacation this year. I think having a stroller and scooter to manage would be stressful. Disney will still be there when she’s more physically able to enjoy it. Not trying to be negative, just my thoughts. I know when I was pregnant I would not have wanted to go to Disney if my physical condition warranted a scooter.

Taking 3yo and pregnant wife to Disney World next month (3 days). Staying at a Disney Springs hotel
Im planning on renting a scooter so its more comfortable for my wife. She has not used one before but is pretty saavy.

Plan to rent "SNAP portable" from "Scooter Vacations" - searched here but not much feedback. If anyone has heard anything, please let me know. Rates are about 20-30% less than other scooter rental locations. Current rate is $25/day and then they offer additional 10% off coupons

Another options is "Best Price Mobility" - which is the same price.

Planning to Uber to the themeparks from hotel and back. Also planning on bringing a stoller for toddler.

With the new rules, has Disney been allowing scooter umbrellas? Those that clamp onto the scooter? (See image)? It will really help protect from sun or rain.
s-l640.jpg

Unless your wife is having complications, a scooter would be much more trouble than it's worth. I would just plan on going slower and taking frequent breaks. Pregnancy isn't a sickness and walking is good. Just wear comfortable shoes.

Having said that, I had no desire to go to Disney while I was pregnant, but mostly as I felt I was missing out on too much!! The last 3 months didn't want to be around large crowds no matter.

Seems overwhelmingly consistent. lol

I guess most people are opposed to a scooter.
We are going to try going to Hershey Park without a scooter and see how it goes. Prior to pregnancy, my wife would get tired from walking about 1/2 a day (I admit, I usually go fast, and we get on every ride). This time, I thought the scooter would help so she wont get as tired, but from the sounds of it, the ECV is annoying to drive around the park.

Ill see how she feels. We may end up getting the scooter adn just parking it somewhere. That way, if she wants it, I can still get it for her.

Really appreciate all your reponses!!!

I ended up rending the ECV umbrella as well. That way no one hits it.

(I admit, I usually go fast, and we get on every ride

Hmmm... maybe you could adjust your touring strategy for a slower pace out of consideration for your wife and young child. Stop and smell the roses once in a while, you may find unexpected giggles and laughs and a happier family making better memories than simply how-many-rides-can-we-squeeze-into-a-day.

Enjoy your vacation!

Instead of an umbrella, she might just want to wear a large brimmed hat. And I'm hot sure if you meant for the toddler to ride with her on the scooter, but that isn't permitted. Scooters are for single persons only. No piggy backs on them.

I went at 6-7 month pregnant in June before. It was hot. I lasted four days fine and on the last day we rented a wheel chair for me because I had overdone it. I should add because we had extended family with us, my parents were footing the bill and pushing everyone along, I didn’t get much in the way of rests like I would have liked. My ankles were swollen huge so the last day was my wheelchair day. I also switched from tennis shoes to crocs pretty early on due to heat.
Also it was my fourth pregnancy and each one was harder than the previous for me, so that should be noted. If it had been one of my first three I likely would have been just fine.
Maybe have a backup plan for a scooter rental in case she decides she wants it? But really the wheelchair was a serious pain in the butt. I was in everyone’s way, I couldn’t fit in any stores, it was just not fun at all. Not something I would do again. I’d probably just stay behind from that park day in hindsight. Otherwise I think the umbrella is a cool idea, but again might just get in the way a lot. Good luck!

I went at 6-7 month pregnant in June before. It was hot. I lasted four days fine and on the last day we rented a wheel chair for me because I had overdone it. I should add because we had extended family with us, my parents were footing the bill and pushing everyone along, I didn’t get much in the way of rests like I would have liked. My ankles were swollen huge so the last day was my wheelchair day. I also switched from tennis shoes to crocs pretty early on due to heat.
Also it was my fourth pregnancy and each one was harder than the previous for me, so that should be noted. If it had been one of my first three I likely would have been just fine.
Maybe have a backup plan for a scooter rental in case she decides she wants it? But really the wheelchair was a serious pain in the butt. I was in everyone’s way, I couldn’t fit in any stores, it was just not fun at all. Not something I would do again. I’d probably just stay behind from that park day in hindsight. Otherwise I think the umbrella is a cool idea, but again might just get in the way a lot. Good luck!

I am going to be 7 months pregnant in July when we go. I never thought to look into crocs. Did you just get the normal ones or like a specific walking type? Tell me more please! Thank you!!

I am going to be 7 months pregnant in July when we go. I never thought to look into crocs. Did you just get the normal ones or like a specific walking type? Tell me more please! Thank you!!

Girl I got the ugly normal ones that I swore I would never wear! And I loved them for that!

It didn’t matter how hot or if I was swollen or not, they still fit comfortably. But dang they are not so cute!

Girl I got the ugly normal ones that I swore I would never wear! And I loved them for that!

It didn’t matter how hot or if I was swollen or not, they still fit comfortably. But dang they are not so cute!

Hahahaha
That's great to know because I never considered them because they are soooo ugly but they might be the best idea given the pregnancy, the heat and the summer rainstorms. They make some now I think that aren't heinously ugly anymore, so I will have to go check them out. Thanks for the tip!

Hahahaha
That's great to know because I never considered them because they are soooo ugly but they might be the best idea given the pregnancy, the heat and the summer rainstorms. They make some now I think that aren't heinously ugly anymore, so I will have to go check them out. Thanks for the tip!

My parents went to Disney with my younger siblings years ago in July. The rain was so bad they broke down and bought the entire family crocs because their sneakers would not dry out! Before that they said they would never wear them, after the week of wearing them they decided they were the most comfortable shoes ever. My mom has bad arches and always needed orthopedic inserts for her sneakers but found the crocs more comfortable then even those! To this day they both wear them on a regular basis, not as a fashion statement of any kind but because they are just that comfortable. I like them for gardening myself :) I will say I tried the ballet flats because I thought they looked a little better but those rub the top of my feet so I don’t find them to be very comfortable... good luck finding a color / style you like!

Hmmm... maybe you could adjust your touring strategy for a slower pace out of consideration for your wife and young child. Stop and smell the roses once in a while, you may find unexpected giggles and laughs and a happier family making better memories than simply how-many-rides-can-we-squeeze-into-a-day.

Enjoy your vacation!

I went at 3 months pregnant in late December, high crowds. I would not have wanted to maneuver a scooter through those crowds, the stroller for my then-preschooler was enough to deal with. My husband was also having health issues so we took it super easy, going on rides we would have skipped otherwise like PeopleMover, IASW, and Living with the Land. We enjoyed plenty of time at the resort too, including the free marshmallow roasting and plenty of pool/playground time and watching animals out of our balcony (we stayed at AKL). It was a very leisurely trip and my older son has an absolute blast. As for the umbrella question, I never want to deal with them at the parks. We pack hats for the sun and packable rain jackets with hoods for rain.

Thanks so much for your input. I have been before and the crowds are very random. Sometimes super crowded, but other times not bad at all. It is my first time with a pregnant wife and toddler though.

We plan on taking tons of breaks, and skipping most coasters. I dont think we are in any rush to get anywhere! I just want my wife to have a decent experience adn not have her feet hurt at the end of day 2. I heard many people say a scooter is helpful, but annoying to navigate. Have you gone through the parks while 6 months pregnant? Was it okay to walk?

I had no issues with a stroller in the past because we usually Uber back and forth. I tried the bus a couple of times, but Disney transport takes a long time from the park to our hotels and gave up - the last trip took me 45 minutes one way! My kid and wife passed out just waiting for the bus to arrive.

I went 7 months pregnant. Your feet are going to hurt no matter what and sitting that much is not healthy either. We took it very slow. We slept in, took plenty of rests, and left the parks early. I worked on my feet, as many woman do and survive. Your wife will just have to know her limits and take it easy. But going pregnant is very much doable without an ECV. I agree with the other posters, they are more of a hassle then a convenience.

I was researching this earlier during the week. Orlando is one of the few cities in the US that have a carseat program. It's called uberFAMILY. Do a Google search for uberFamily and there should be some results explaining how it works.

We used Uber a ton in October with 2 small children. Carseats/UberFamily, are plentiful, and it's just a choice you select like UberX on the app. Easy peasy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter