• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World Profits Soar by 300%

I don't care where it's at, I will take my kids to see animals... educate them on what these animals are and where they live in the wild. There is nothing like first hand experience, and there is no way they'd be able to see lions, tigers, elephants, gorillas, orca's, etc. if it wasn't for these types of places. I have a season pass to my local zoo, we take them to the national aviary that we have here, we enjoy the Animal Kingdom as much as any park in the world. Sea World is a great place to go to learn about wildlife. You, and your kids, are missing out on a great experience if you don't go.

Apparently Disney is keeping dolphins in very similar so-called "captivity" over at Epcot, yet you and the other PETA talking points repeaters never mention that.

There is no hypocrisy in that. :rolleyes1

I don't think they have any interest in Disney, they created a login to "save" the whales.

But that's different, Borishack....you know, "Disney Magic" and all ;) :rolleyes2 .

:thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

And here's a recent image of said "Disney Magic", one that reflects what a wonderful job Disney is doing at improving guest experience. Here we have an image of the line at Epcot guest services on 12/31/13.

Love those rock-solid, dependable, beloved Magic Bands! :rotfl2::lmao:

Guest-Services-line-Epcot-New-Years-Eve-2014-Walt-Disney-World.jpg

I don't think they have any interest in Disney, they created a login to "save" the whales.

i have an interest in trying to get those disney dolphins to a seapen. I dont think the disney dolphins even see natural sunlight do they?

What Disney is doing with their dolphins is unacceptable. I have spoken out about this on many posts. Their tank is dark and dismal and no place for these intelligent animals. The only difference is they don't make them do circus tricks like sea world does. There is currently a strong movement to get them rehabbed and released as well.

Can any of the pro sea world posters tell me one thing, just one, that you have learned about cetaceans from a visit to sea world that you could NOT have learned from watching a film or documentary, reading books, doing internet research or a whale/dolphin watching trip to see them in the wild?

Keeping large extremely intelligent cetaceans in small concrete tanks for the amusement of humans is wrong, cruel and abusive.

if we strip all of the 'propaganda' back - the simple fact is we are keeping a 12000 orca in a tank, on medication and in a space that is 1 millionenth compared to its natural habitat.

There is no propaganda in that. :-(

What about what AK is doing?? They are keeping animals in captivity in very small places in a very similar way. Do you know how many miles a giraffe travels in a day? Do you know the effect captivity has on them? Do you know how many animals died at AK due to the mistakes of the caregivers? I am not for any animals in captivity unless they are endangered, but I am also one who does go to a zoo or aquarium. I do not feel one species should be free while it is ok to keep other captive. I think it is not right, but just the world we live in...does it make me a hypocrite...yes, but at least it I do not boycott one place to go to another place doing the exact same thing, but telling myself it is ok b/c those animals are fine in captivity. The truth is we have no idea if any of these animals are OK in captivity. I think that the majority of the places do good and try their best to provide a healthy environment for their animals. Times were different when we starting putting animals in captivity and now it is tough to just release them. I am not 100% sure that is the right answer either.

I just think if you are going to boycott or be outraged, be outraged by all of them not just one. I have respect for those who boycott all the places, but if you pick or choose I find your outcry diluted and virtually meaningless.

What Disney is doing with their dolphins is unacceptable. I have spoken out about this on many posts. Their tank is dark and dismal and no place for these intelligent animals. The only difference is they don't make them do circus tricks like sea world does. There is currently a strong movement to get them rehabbed and released as well.

Can any of the pro sea world posters tell me one thing, just one, that you have learned about cetaceans from a visit to sea world that you could NOT have learned from watching a film or documentary, reading books, doing internet research or a whale/dolphin watching trip to see them in the wild?

Keeping large extremely intelligent cetaceans in small concrete tanks for the amusement of humans is wrong, cruel and abusive.
Lex...I'm curious what your greater beliefs are about animals. Do you think its acceptable to have any animals in captivity? Should people strive to be vegetarian or vegan? Is horse racing wrong? Dog-racing? Is it okay to keep domesticated animals in captivity to exploit their milk and wool? What about service animals, like seeing eye dogs or drug sniffing dogs? Or pharmaceutical testing of human products on animals?

There seems to be some confusion as to whether your objections are specific to Sea World and/or marine mammals, or to the general treatment of animals by humans.

Lex...I'm curious what your greater beliefs are about animals. Do you think its acceptable to have any animals in captivity? Should people strive to be vegetarian or vegan? Is horse racing wrong? Dog-racing? Is it okay to keep domesticated animals in captivity to exploit their milk and wool? What about service animals, like seeing eye dogs or drug sniffing dogs? Or pharmaceutical testing of human products on animals?

There seems to be some confusion as to whether your objections are specific to Sea World and/or marine mammals, or to the general treatment of animals by humans.

My objection right now, for the sake of this discussion is cetaceans. I have beliefs and a lifestyle that I don't believe is specific to this topic. I will say I don't believe it has to be all or nothing. No one has the time, energy or strength to fight all the wrongs in this world. I have been fighting for the welfare and recognition of the rights of cetaceans for 40 years. Being a champion for one species is at least doing something!

I am not for any animals in captivity unless they are endangered.

Your use of the word "any" means you are against:

• Pet reptiles kept in home enclosures (turtles, lizards, iguanas, etc.)
  • Small, furry mammal kept as pets in home enclosures (mice, gerbils, etc.)
  • Overwhelming majority of farm animals (chickens, pigs, cattle)
  • All forms of home and public aquariums.
  • Pretty much everything in every major zoo, outside a handful of species (pandas, orangutans, lowland gorillas, small number of birds and hoofed animals)
And I can go further: our cats are kept "captive" indoors, because we know from statistics and experience that the health and longevity of said "captive" cats is much, much better than those that are allowed outdoors or their feral brethren.

But you want ban that.

Sigh...the brainwashing PETA engages in is absolutely mindboggling.

Your use of the word "any" means you are against:

• Pet reptiles kept in home enclosures (turtles, lizards, iguanas, etc.)
  • Small, furry mammal kept as pets in home enclosures (mice, gerbils, etc.)
  • Overwhelming majority of farm animals (chickens, pigs, cattle)
  • All forms of home and public aquariums.
  • Pretty much everything in every major zoo, outside a handful of species (pandas, orangutans, lowland gorillas, small number of birds and hoofed animals)
And I can go further: our cats are kept "captive" indoors, because we know from statistics and experience that the health and longevity of said "captive" cats is much, much better than those that are allowed outdoors or their feral brethren.

But you want ban that.

Sigh...the brainwashing PETA engages in is absolutely mindboggling.

If you read my whole post and didn't quote one sentence out of context to support your rant that has nothing to do with my real views, you would know that wasn't my point. I am not involved in any animal rights group, I don't sign petitions to free them. I never once said I wanted any of it banned.

I ask you go back and reread my entire post where I said I do go to these places, I do not boycott them. I do not like the idea of any animals in captivity(yes hamsters, lizards, fish nor do I keep them in our home), but I know that is the way the world is. I am speaking more to the people who are so strongly against one for example SW, but will go to Epcot or AK. I was pointing out that those peoples cry for boycott look foolish b/c they go and support pretty much the exact same thing by going to those parks/zoo/aquarium.

No response yet from sea world supporters about what they have learned. Can anyone justify the claims that keeping cetaceans in tanks is educational and cannot be accomplished without this captivity?

Just one observation. You cannot kidnap a whale or any animal for that matter because, well, they are just animals.

No response yet from sea world supporters about what they have learned. Can anyone justify the claims that keeping cetaceans in tanks is educational and cannot be accomplished without this captivity?

Millions upon millions of people have been given the chance to see these awesome creatures up close. Without these opportunities, many would not care about them one way or another. If this interaction and experience has inspired people to study more, or better yet, become marine biologists, then it is well worth it.

No response yet from sea world supporters about what they have learned.

Perhaps the question is being avoided in a similar manner as to the one posed below:

My objection right now, for the sake of this discussion is cetaceans. I have beliefs and a lifestyle that I don't believe is specific to this topic.

lexandme said:

:*The primary benefits are identical for any species in any accredited zoological institution: education and science. At SeaWorld more than 11 million people each year (hundreds of millions since our first park opened its gates in 1964) have experienced killer whales in a way that is personal, enriching and inspirational. Learn more*here. It is our hope that every person who has visited SeaWorld leaves with a greater understanding of and appreciation for all the animals we display, including killer whales. I have attached two documents that outline some of our peer-reviewed contributions to the scientific understanding of killer whales. Note that this is just killer whales. We have similar bibliographies for many of the species living at SeaWorld.

This is seaworld's answer, but it is the reason all places will give who keep animals captive. Right or wrong I know what I feel, but it is true that all these places bring about animal awareness. My biggest point again is why is any one species ok to keep captive and others not. There is evidence of many species in captivity suffering, but is it for the greater good of the species and even further if it is does that make keeping animals captive ok. I think it is a personal decision and I have nothing against anyone who chooses to boycott as long as you are consistent. Don't boycott SW because you watched Blackfish, but go to epcot or AK and try to justify one being wrong and the other ok. That is my issue.

My personal life is really not anyone's business.

My question is what have any of the pro sea world posters learned that cannot be learned by reading, researching, watching a movie, documentary, or by taking a whale/dolphin excursipn in the wild? I have already read sea world's propaganda.

lexandme said:
My personal life is really not anyone's business.

My question is what have any of the pro sea world posters learned that cannot be learned by reading, researching, watching a movie, documentary, or by taking a whale/dolphin excursipn in the wild? I have already read sea world's propaganda.

I agree it's not. I guess I could ask that question of all animals in captivity. Why do we hold them? The scientists must feel there is educational value for both them and us. Now as I said before I don't agree with any animals in captivity, but do not boycott these places because I don't think any are causing harm purposely to animals. I do question if it is right in the end, but I believe the scientists/biologists believe they are doing good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter