• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World Profits Soar by 300%

Practice what you preach... or how about just don't preach. Providing information is one thing... but when it is packaged with hypocrisy and a guilt trip it crosses the line IMHO.

I don't guilt anyone, IMO if people want go to Seaworld, then who am I to stop you or tell you how awful you are to have a good time? I've been to Seaworld myself and won't deny that I have enjoyed my visits, though I already knew years before "Blackfish" that the ways Orca's had gotten to the parks was fair from being in the interests of the animals safety.

As the old saying goes, ignorance is bliss. I was one of those people too before. I'm hardly any hippy tree hugging sort who goes on regular protest. But reading about the subject (and trust me, I've tried not to follow any "angle" but what I've seen of these "incidents" like the captures and stuff that's happened at the parks) I have to be honest, I don't see the real benefit for the Orcas or any consideration for them where it's needed.

Heck even the doc isn't suggesting that anyone is a bad person for wanting to care for the whales, the former trainers themselves say they stayed at Seaworld *because* they cared about the Orcas and thought they were making a difference. If anything the doc focuses more on how Seaworld covered up Tilly's involvement in Katie Holmes' death at Sealand, and various incidents that the other trainers were given zero details about. Though they do also discuss how the dysfunctional mixing of Orca's also resulted in many injuries and at least one Orca death.

The whole thing reminds me of another intelligent creature that was given plenty of care but not what he really needed. Project Nim. Tale of a chimpanzee who was saved from an early death at a lab by a family, who tried to raise him like a kid, the guy then shuttled him between "trainers" after divorcing, usually just by telling them to never come back and giving the poor chimp no means of adjusting. On top of all that, when he matured and became sexually active, there was no way to relieve all the frustration that came with that. The guy later sold him back to the labs her had originally spared the chimp from at birth, all because he got tired and suddenly didn't want to fund Nim's needs anymore. Eventually he was freed and got to spend the rest of his days in a ranch enclosure.

Long story short, he attacked 2 of his female trainers, one while in a rage. The other being his original female caretaker, who hadn't been to see Nim in over 30 years. Grabbing her by the legs and bashing her about his enclosure. Both of those trainers hadn't done anything wrong, outside the latter abandoning the animal years before. The animal was just angry, and had a right to be angry at being abandoned. Heck the female trainers even admitted he had every right to mad at them for something. But that anger was not something they could manage or control. When Nim was angry, all they could do is hope they were not in his way when he was *really* ticked off.

With that in mind, an Orca is much bigger, and hard to avoid if your in it's vicinity and it's ticked off. People seem to have this idea that, because an animal is intelligent, you can stop it from getting angry ever somehow (man if there's a magic trick to stopping a really bad blues day, I'ld love to know!). Orca's are not like puppies where at worst, it'll give you a nasty nip, an angry Orca can do serious damage without even really trying.

FYI...If you wear leather or purchase factory farmed meats... ie any regular available meat product at your local supermarket (pork, beef, chicken etc)... you are contributing financially to far more horror being committed on your fellow animals on a daily basis than what Sea World or any other Dolphinarium can ever muster. Google gestation crate if you need convincing.

This is assuming that someone's personal goal is that all animals never be hurt or die at the hands of a human ever. This catch all argument in this discussion is something I've seen a few assume of cetacean anti-caps when this generally isn't the case.

I eat meat, I have no shame in admitting that. But I look for things like "free range" when I choose meat. I'ld rather the animal I eat at least lived enough of a life before seeing the chopping board. Naturally there are people who don't feel that strongly, or people who feel that isn't enough.

People petition for cetaceans because they are proven to be incredibly intelligent species. Most animals thrive in captivity, because they can adapt and they are small enough that Humans can create the habitats they need or provide the care they need to be happy. Of course for wild animals, nothing quite makes up for the real thing. But most animals are happy enough to be provided for long as their needs are accounted for.

Of course if your animal is something that can grow big, and might cause harm later on, then you need to consider what is in yours, your employees and the animals best interest. If it's violent or prone to rages, your maybe shouldn't keep it near humans that it could easilly hurt, if they used their full strength against them.

Catacean's are different though, their habitats are HUGE. The entire ocean is pretty much their home. Their pods are their families which is enormously important to them. Seaworld can't provide any of that, or if they were serious about making sure the orca's were happy, they'ld try and expand the pools for the Orca's benefit, or allow them to go to sea pens near where their Pods are regularly seen and a chance to go "home".

IMO I wouldn't have a problem if I thought catacean needs could actually be covered in a man-made park. But happy Orca's shouldn't be constantly raking and hurting others in their artificial "pods", they also shouldn't be dying earlier in captivity than they would in the wild, suffering from lost/worn teeth due to chewing walls and gates in boredom. Or dealing with intensely un-natural and stressful situations like separations from their calves.

I'd like to personally thank the makers of Blackfish. We are at SeaWorld Camp this week, and for the first time EVER they offered 50% off the second week of camp. My kids are going again in 2 weeks! They are beyond excited and so am I. What a fantastic deal! Not sure why they offered the deal as most camps were booked up, but I'll take it :) I told DH that it was the "Blackfish Effect". He doesn't buy it, but it's as good an explanation as any. I've never gotten more than a 10% discount before. I guess they want their camps 100% full, and I'll bet that this does it!

BTW, SeaWorld itself is as crowded as I've ever seen it.

I have always disliked seaworld. Blackfish only confirmed my feelings. I bet most of you sea world supporters have not watched the movie or done any unbiased research. Can't say I am surprised most people don't care. Look at the documentaries: fast food nation, supersize me and sick, fat and nearly dead--people are still eating McDonald's and drinking soda / eating in excess. Americans will be like the cruise ship characters on Walle before we know it.

I have always disliked seaworld. Blackfish only confirmed my feelings. I bet most of you sea world supporters have not watched the movie or done any unbiased research. Can't say I am surprised most people don't care. Look at the documentaries: fast food nation, supersize me and sick, fat and nearly dead--people are still eating McDonald's and drinking soda / eating in excess. Americans will be like the cruise ship characters on Walle before we know it.

And people will believe everything they see on TV. Go figure.

I love sea world, even though I hate that there is no more free beer.

Once again, they are truly trying vs. Disney who is truly coasting. Disney will feel the effects of sea world and universal for real in the next couple of years.

The Orlando park may be trying, I went to the San Antonio park last month with my cousin, a travel agent, who got us in free. All I can say is, if I'd paid for it, I would've been VERY disappointed.

The orca show was a joke, the only show worth seeing was the Beluga show with acrobats a la Cirque du Soleil. The food was awful, the park maps worthless and the employees, when asked, didn't know their way around the park any more than any guest.

Blackfish is unbiased?:rotfl: Are you including yourself in the future Wall E group?

Better to believe everything the corporations tell you.

Well, it's really better to believe neither but if you like your "facts" from TV shows....!

To borrow from a very old saying: there is the "Blackfish story", there is the "Sea World story", and there is the truth.

Well, it's really better to believe neither but if you like your "facts" from TV shows....! To borrow from a very old saying: there is the "Blackfish story", there is the "Sea World story", and there is the truth.

Agreed! I don't believe the movie wholly--everyone has an agenda. I do think that just the footage from the original capture of whales from their pods is enough. I don't care if the rest of the movie is total rubbish. Seeing those family members crowded around the ship crying for their kidnapped babies is enough to turn me against keeping them captive. I am not anti-zoo completely, but they are obviously extremely intelligent / highly emotional creatures and they deserve to be treated as such.

The Orlando park may be trying, I went to the San Antonio park last month with my cousin, a travel agent, who got us in free. All I can say is, if I'd paid for it, I would've been VERY disappointed.

The orca show was a joke, the only show worth seeing was the Beluga show with acrobats a la Cirque du Soleil. The food was awful, the park maps worthless and the employees, when asked, didn't know their way around the park any more than any guest.

What was bad about the shows?

Agreed! I don't believe the movie wholly--everyone has an agenda. I do think that just the footage from the original capture of whales from their pods is enough. I don't care if the rest of the movie is total rubbish. Seeing those family members crowded around the ship crying for their kidnapped babies is enough to turn me against keeping them captive. I am not anti-zoo completely, but they are obviously extremely intelligent / highly emotional creatures and they deserve to be treated as such.

While wrong, that footage is old and that is not an acceptable practice anymore. Do you know how many animals died when they first opened AK in WDW because of negligence? Animals were poisoned and some even run over by park employees. I have no problem with people who boycott SW as long as they are not hypocrites who think it is ok to keep animals in captivity at WDW. Just b/c WDW is a magical place for humans I guarantee those animals in captivity at Epcot and AK are just as unhappy as the ones at SW.

What was bad about the shows?

The orca were all fairly young whales, they just swam around a little, splashed the audience. No interaction with the trainers, and really, not a lot of information about the whales. I remember when they used to explain about how this movement or that movement was one they used in the wild, and how they lived, and so forth. This show w as nothing but music and splashing.

The walrus, seal and otter show was cute, but really gave no info about the animals at all. But that show was always more on the cute side than informative.

And the San Antonio park itself was very poorly designed for traffic flow. It was built by HBJ when they owned Sea World, and they were going to make San Antonio their national headquarters, then HBJ fell apart and sold the parks to Busch. Busch didn't seem too interested in putting a lot of $$ into a seasonal park, the current owners are concentrating on coasters an water park over animals.

We are a group of "weird" people in my family in that we do not go to zoos or sea parks. Or circuses. True story.

I volunteer at a wildlife refuge and it's disturbing how many animals we try to rehabilitate due to human conflict/interaction. We have a resident bobcat that can never be introduced into the wild because he was purchased as a "pet" and declawed. Poor guy is a hot mess. He's definitely not a good pet! We always have to keep an eye on him.

I do adore wildlife sanctuaries-wild animals allowed to live out their days in peace because they cannot be released back into the wild. The good reputable ones do not allow visitors.

So many people think this is "silly", but I guess I just am passionate about the idea that animals are not here for our amusement.

I don't think animals are here just to entertain us. But I do think places like Disney, Sea World and Bush Gardens can do more than entertain with their animals. Educating people about the plights of these animals, how many are extinct in the wild, and are only surviving in zoos and refuges can do a lot to help. People care more if they can see these animals living, rather than just in photos or drawings.

I don't think animals are here just to entertain us. But I do think places like Disney, Sea World and Bush Gardens can do more than entertain with their animals. Educating people about the plights of these animals, how many are extinct in the wild, and are only surviving in zoos and refuges can do a lot to help. People care more if they can see these animals living, rather than just in photos or drawings.

:thumbsup2 I couldn't agree more. My kids are passionate about marine life because of SeaWorld. We live on the coast of FL. SeaWorld is out here all the time rescuing manatees, sea turtles and more. At SeaWorld camp, my kids get taken behind the scenes to see the rescue and rehab facilities for the manatees. They get to see what happens to the orphaned and injured manatees after SeaWorld comes and gets them from our area and they learn about what we need to do to keep them safe. We are hoping to see a manatee release this year, although SeaWorld does NOT publicize these unfortunately.

This is the first year we've ever gotten such a generous discount on a second camp week. I'm very thankful as we were about to book it anyways. I really hope that it isn't due to people boycotting due to Blackfish, although I honestly doubt that it is now...I see the same people year after year at the camps, so I think it might be more of an economy thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter