• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World Profits Soar by 300%

My personal life is really not anyone's business.

My question is what have any of the pro sea world posters learned that cannot be learned by reading, researching, watching a movie, documentary, or by taking a whale/dolphin excursipn in the wild? I have already read sea world's propaganda.

You make it sound so easy... just take a whale excursion in the wild.

You can certainly learn by reading, researching, watching a movie, etc. But its much easier to get people inspired to do such things when they are able to experience the animal up close, something Sea World provides millions of people every year.

I don't really care one way or the other if people feel the need to protest Sea World, but just as your personal life is really not anyone's business, nobody else's personal life is any of your (or anyone else who is protesting orca's at Sea World) business, so quit telling people what they should or should not do or feel about whales at Sea World (not just directed at you, but also the others in this thread that say people should be ashamed of taking their kids to Sea World).

I don't really care one way or the other if people feel the need to protest Sea World, but just as your personal life is really not anyone's business, nobody else's personal life is any of your (or anyone else who is protesting orca's at Sea World) business, so quit telling people what they should or should not do or feel about whales at Sea World.

:thumbsup2

If you read my whole post

Yes, I read through all of it ;)

and didn't quote one sentence out of context

Nothing was quoted out of context; you yourself reaffirm what you meant is exactly as I characterized it:

I do not like the idea of any animals in captivity(yes hamsters, lizards, fish nor do I keep them in our home)

But what you have now done is to try and slip in a qualifier:

but I know that is the way the world is.

We agree on this! :goodvibes

I was pointing out that those peoples cry for boycott look foolish b/c they go and support pretty much the exact same thing by going to those parks/zoo/aquarium.

I agree with you that behavior is contradictory/hypocritical. But again, here you are re-affirming you classify any form of animal confinement as immoral. And I still maintain that is an minority viewpoint that originated with environmental extremists.

At this point, Pacific sea creatures might be safer in places like Sea World because of the radioactive garbage flowing into the ocean from ***ushima.

:lmao: The beginning of the nuclear plant has been starred out.

Yes, I read through all of it ;)

Sorry should have stated comprehended all of it, not read all of it.

Nothing was quoted out of context; you yourself reaffirm what you meant is exactly as I characterized it:

Okay my words were twisted to mean something completely different than what I actually meant.

But what you have now done is to try and slip in a qualifier:

Ummm, I was using what you put as examples and I was just letting you know that I do not in fact keep any of those animals...not sure what you mean by me trying to slip in a qualifier. I didn't say people who do are immoral, just that I don't like it and do not. I don't protest about it...I have friends who do and don't say a word about it. It is their choice to do so and their right.

We agree on this! :goodvibes

I agree with you that behavior is contradictory/hypocritical. But again, here you are re-affirming you classify any form of animal confinement as immoral. And I still maintain that is an minority viewpoint that originated with environmental extremists.

Can you quote where I say that it is immoral? Somehow it isn't showing in my post and I don't ever remember typing immoral, so either your screen is showing you different posts than mine or you are putting words in my mouth/screen:rolleyes2

FTR, I typed the words I don't like and I am not for. I cannot like red lipstick, but it doesn't mean I think it is immoral to use it. I don't like many things that I don't find immoral. Very extreme to take the words I don't like and I am not for and turn them into me saying it is immoral to do so, you can keep twisting my words to fit your argument though...I know what I said and I know what I mean;)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/showbiz/seaworld-alan-jackson-kid-rock/

140129190015-alan-jackson-kid-rock-story-top.jpg

Alan Jackson and Kid Rock will kick off SeaWorld's "Bands, Brew & BBQ" this weekend.

(CNN) -- The show will go on.

Alan Jackson and Kid Rock will kick off SeaWorld's "Bands, Brew & BBQ" this weekend, bucking a trend of artists dropping the show to avoid controversy over how the Orlando, Florida, theme park treats its orcas.

The concert event runs Saturdays and Sundays February 1 to March 9.

The exodus from SeaWorld's calendar began soon after CNN broadcast the documentary "Blackfish" in October. The film tells the story of the killing of a SeaWorld trainer by an orca in 2010. It raises questions about the safety and humaneness of keeping killer whales in captivity.

Country star Trace Adkins pulled out this month. Other acts that have canceled include: Trisha Yearwood, Willie Nelson, Cheap Trick, Heart, Barenaked Ladies, Martina McBride and 38 Special.

Pat Benatar, Beach Boys cancel

Only Justin Moore and Scotty McCreery remain on the event calendar from the original list. Their representatives have not responded to CNN's repeated requests for comment.

Online petitions and social media postings targeted the acts who had signed on to play at the park.

"We're disappointed a small group of misinformed individuals was able to deny fans what would have been great concerts at SeaWorld," SeaWorld spokesman Nick Gollattscheck has said.

"The bands and artists have a standing invitation to visit any of our parks to see firsthand or to speak to any of our animal experts to learn for themselves how we care for animals and how little truth there is to the allegations made by animal extremist groups opposed to the zoological display of marine mammals."

SeaWorld says the documentary ignores the park's conservation efforts and research.

"More than 11 million people a year visit SeaWorld parks, and most will see a killer whale presentation during their visit," said Gollattscheck.

"Over the course of our 50-year history hundreds of millions of people have experienced killer whales in our parks. There is tremendous appeal in that kind of inspirational and educational experience, and we anticipate that killer whale display will continue for generations to come."

'Blackfish' prompts school to cancel long-standing SeaWorld trip.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Sea world was (and still is) owned by a beer company. Free beer = future customers. Free dining at WDW means the once famous, world wide recognized chefs now must include Mickey mac'n'cheese to their menus. Future customers? Yeah, the Walmart crowd (I know you'd appreciate that DR.).

I think there's some false causality going on here. I don't think "free dining" caused a decline in quality. I think the Disney bean counters were taking an ax to quality everywhere and needed a way to get people to pay top dollar for crappier food and keep coming back, thus a disguise of the fleecing as "free dining" was born.

I'm glad to see Sea World not only surviving but THRIVING in the face of the propaganda that they have had to deal with. I think they will come out of all of this better than ever:thumbsup2

Yep, goooo Sea World. Our family could never afford to see these beautiful animals in the wild that Sea World, Zoos, Disney and a lot of other places keep so we can all enjoy them up close. :confused3

Some people (mainly PETA) don't have enough to do but go around and try to stir up trouble. If you (general you) don't want to patronize these places it is your right - it is also our right to enjoy them to the fullest. ::yes::

nobody else's personal life is any of your (or anyone else who is protesting orca's at Sea World) business, so quit telling people what they should or should not do or feel about whales at Sea World (not just directed at you, but also the others in this thread that say people should be ashamed of taking their kids to Sea World).

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Lex, I may not have "learned anything" that I couldn't have learned from reading many books, or seeing countless documentaries, it has to be a lot because of all the bs out there like Blackfish, but unlike you, I know a portion of my money goes to the vet care, the feeding of, the studies of these captive animals, so researchers can learn more to help the animals in the wild. I also know that another portion of my money goes to helping injured dolphins, manatees, and orcas in the wild. I also know that a portion of my money goes to grants and scholarships to help those who because of SeaWorld, have dreams of helping and working with these animals. What have you done with your money ??

Just one observation. You cannot kidnap a whale or any animal for that matter because, well, they are just animals.

I am pretty sure I could try. Of course I would need to rent a truck, cane and some sort of container.....

But I think I could crew up and do it?

I am pretty sure I could try. Of course I would need to rent a truck, cane and some sort of container.....

But I think I could crew up and do it?

You need a beat up old Klingon Bird of Prey and about 10000 square yards of transparent aluminum.

Wow, regardless of their earnings vs Disney, that is a pretty impressive increase for Sea World. Im surprised, we weren't all that impressed last year.

Lex, I may not have "learned anything" that I couldn't have learned from reading many books, or seeing countless documentaries, it has to be a lot because of all the bs out there like Blackfish, but unlike you, I know a portion of my money goes to the vet care, the feeding of, the studies of these captive animals, so researchers can learn more to help the animals in the wild. I also know that another portion of my money goes to helping injured dolphins, manatees, and orcas in the wild. I also know that a portion of my money goes to grants and scholarships to help those who because of SeaWorld, have dreams of helping and working with these animals. What have you done with your money ??

You were correct on one thing, your money likely does go towards the (very) basic care that Seaworld gives it's Orca's, as well as the other fish and animals in their care. Might even go on those scholarships too! But Seaworld does very little animal cresearch in the wild. If anything they try to profit off wild animals by buying off Russian and Asian Fishermen, seeing as laws prohibit them catching any more whales. They just tried to buy up a number of beluga whales caught in Russia.

Also way to make assumptions, just because someone might not support a place like Seaworld, does not mean they do not support or fund other causes. IMO I think those who do come down hard on Seaworld visitors do not help their cause. It can't be helped, people buy into the assumption that the whales are happy and well provided for. When the history of the captivity of this species really rather suggests otherwise.

Just one observation. You cannot kidnap a whale or any animal for that matter because, well, they are just animals.

That's a kind of ignorant comment, animals are really not *just* animals. I will agree many animals are quite capable of adjusting to solo/captive life or don't really have a family structure that concerns the individual too much, but Cetaceans are pretty intelligent animals with strong family bonds within their pods. Male Orcas stay their their mothers their entire lives, they will never leave her side bar for playing with other Orca males or mating, and if their mother dies, they will attach to a next of kin.

Most of the older Captive Orca's were taken from their family as young calves. Not rescued or saved from any untimely accident. Their Pods were forcibly rounded up, trapped in a cove - and then the fishermen deliberately picked the healthiest, and easiest to transport whales to take. The pod didn't just abandon the captive Whales, they made distress calls when their child/brother/sister were taken and stayed with them for long as they could (often following ships or trucks with their relative on-board) till their lost relative was too far away now to call back.

They don't just forget the ones lost too, one of the longest living whales in captivity - "Corky" was once played the unique sound-tones of her family pod in 1993, 20+ years after her capture, by a news channel. Corky visibly shakes, in the way a human shakes when dealing with something that invokes strong emotional feelings in them. Corky remembered her pod and likely still does. How would you feel if someone forcibly took you from your family, and the only contact you had was one tape recorded message from them in 45 years (that isn't even a message, just voices you recognise being taped unaware)

IMO I wouldn't not ever go to Seaworld again, but my view of them as a park is somewhat tainted by the fact they have repeatedly blocked release of ANY of their whales, and pretend that what they do offer those Whales is enough for them, when it's not. Tillikum spends most of his time stuck in a pool that's JUST big enough to fit him, only occasionally let out to do the big "splash" people expect at the end of the Shamu shows. He's even denied any interaction, because Trainers are pretty much not allowed anywhere near him now. But Seaworld won't release him, or put him down, because he's their babymaker and the biggest, most impressive looking whale they've got. He also can't really interact with the other Orcas, despite his size - "Tilly" is male and his fellow Orca's are female. In Orca society, females are the heads of the family, Tilly is pretty much socially on the bottom rung, and because he's from a different pod - many of the females will just bite and attack him. What kind of a life is that for any creature?

I'm sure he's fed well enough and his trainers do what they can for him, within the limits Seaworld have placed on him. But an Orca isn't in any way like a cat that can have the occasional freedom of it's local "home" area or provide it's own entertainment. Tilly's just stuck in a plain-boring tank with hardly any wriggle space and everyone kept at distance. I'm not sure any human or company could give an Orca the actual basics they really need to keep them happy.

They also went a fair length to prevent the real Willy, Keiko, from being freed. The only reason they didn't go whole hog and buy the poor whale was because he had a skin disease, thanks to the terrible conditions Keiko was living in over in Mexico. A condition that healed up soon as he was in proper water again. He even managed a fair few years in captivity fine after all the debate about if he would cope or not. Of course it wasn't a resounding success, but for a first attempt, At least Keiko could enjoy the last years of his life free in the ocean, before his untimely death in 2003.

You were correct on one thing, your money likely does go towards the (very) basic care that Seaworld gives it's Orca's, as well as the other fish and animals in their care. Might even go on those scholarships too! But Seaworld does very little animal cresearch in the wild. If anything they try to profit off wild animals by buying off Russian and Asian Fishermen, seeing as laws prohibit them catching any more whales. They just tried to buy up a number of beluga whales caught in Russia.

Also way to make assumptions, just because someone might not support a place like Seaworld, does not mean they do not support or fund other causes. IMO I think those who do come down hard on Seaworld visitors do not help their cause. It can't be helped, people buy into the assumption that the whales are happy and well provided for. When the history of the captivity of this species really rather suggests otherwise.

That's a kind of ignorant comment, animals are really not *just* animals. I will agree many animals are quite capable of adjusting to solo/captive life or don't really have a family structure that concerns the individual too much, but Cetaceans are pretty intelligent animals with strong family bonds within their pods. Male Orcas stay their their mothers their entire lives, they will never leave her side bar for playing with other Orca males or mating, and if their mother dies, they will attach to a next of kin.

Most of the older Captive Orca's were taken from their family as young calves. Not rescued or saved from any untimely accident. Their Pods were forcibly rounded up, trapped in a cove - and then the fishermen deliberately picked the healthiest, and easiest to transport whales to take. The pod didn't just abandon the captive Whales, they made distress calls when their child/brother/sister were taken and stayed with them for long as they could (often following ships or trucks with their relative on-board) till their lost relative was too far away now to call back.

They don't just forget the ones lost too, one of the longest living whales in captivity - "Corky" was once played the unique sound-tones of her family pod in 1993, 20+ years after her capture, by a news channel. Corky visibly shakes, in the way a human shakes when dealing with something that invokes strong emotional feelings in them. Corky remembered her pod and likely still does. How would you feel if someone forcibly took you from your family, and the only contact you had was one tape recorded message from them in 45 years (that isn't even a message, just voices you recognise being taped unaware)

IMO I wouldn't not ever go to Seaworld again, but my view of them as a park is somewhat tainted by the fact they have repeatedly blocked release of ANY of their whales, and pretend that what they do offer those Whales is enough for them, when it's not. Tillikum spends most of his time stuck in a pool that's JUST big enough to fit him, only occasionally let out to do the big "splash" people expect at the end of the Shamu shows. He's even denied any interaction, because Trainers are pretty much not allowed anywhere near him now. But Seaworld won't release him, or put him down, because he's their babymaker and the biggest, most impressive looking whale they've got. He also can't really interact with the other Orcas, despite his size - "Tilly" is male and his fellow Orca's are female. In Orca society, females are the heads of the family, Tilly is pretty much socially on the bottom rung, and because he's from a different pod - many of the females will just bite and attack him. What kind of a life is that for any creature?

I'm sure he's fed well enough and his trainers do what they can for him, within the limits Seaworld have placed on him. But an Orca isn't in any way like a cat that can have the occasional freedom of it's local "home" area or provide it's own entertainment. Tilly's just stuck in a plain-boring tank with hardly any wriggle space and everyone kept at distance. I'm not sure any human or company could give an Orca the actual basics they really need to keep them happy.

They also went a fair length to prevent the real Willy, Keiko, from being freed. The only reason they didn't go whole hog and buy the poor whale was because he had a skin disease, thanks to the terrible conditions Keiko was living in over in Mexico. A condition that healed up soon as he was in proper water again. He even managed a fair few years in captivity fine after all the debate about if he would cope or not. Of course it wasn't a resounding success, but for a first attempt, At least Keiko could enjoy the last years of his life free in the ocean, before his untimely death in 2003.
I am not making assumptions , I asked her a legitimate question. Which she has failed to answer. Also, SeaWorld as a company does not do research in the wild, I never said they do, they do however fund a lot of it, by generous grants given to institutions that deal with Oceanography, and Marine Biology. They are the only entertainment company I know of that gives back to what brings them money, which are the preservation of ocean animals in the wild. If PETA would just put 1% of the money they spend trying to make people feel guilty about going to SeaWorld, or the circus, or the zoo, etc into the actual researchers who are constantly studying these animals and are trying to find ways to make the oceans safe for them, and reproduce, they would be doing more service to the animals. The care these animals get is not basic. The vet care these animals get is the best in the world. If it were not for SeaWorld, only those living on the northern west coast would even know what an Orca is

If PETA would just put 1% of the money they spend trying to make people feel guilty about going to SeaWorld, or the circus, or the zoo, etc into the actual researchers who are constantly studying these animals and are trying to find ways to make the oceans safe for them, and reproduce, they would be doing more service to the animals.

:rotfl2: They are too busy protesting about the scientific labs because of using various species as a research models.

I love animals.... put my years in as a kennel worker at our local animal shelter. But sometimes there is no pleasing the animal rights extremists, they turn against even those who are in the trenches trying to do 'good'. Case in point... my Facebook feed right now is filled with the news and outrage over the euthanization of a blind/deaf feral aggressive cat at a shelter... there are reports of people issuing threats and vitriol against the shelter workers.... these are the folks who work very hard for very little pay, caring and helping hundreds of animals a year.

Practice what you preach... or how about just don't preach. Providing information is one thing... but when it is packaged with hypocrisy and a guilt trip it crosses the line IMHO.

FYI...If you wear leather or purchase factory farmed meats... ie any regular available meat product at your local supermarket (pork, beef, chicken etc)... you are contributing financially to far more horror being committed on your fellow animals on a daily basis than what Sea World or any other Dolphinarium can ever muster. Google gestation crate if you need convincing.

I am very lucky (I totally know this is not realistic for everyone's situation)... but my family comes from a farming background and we still live in a rural area and have the luxury of purchasing ALL our meats from a local CSA (Communities Supporting Agriculture) farm and have the reassurance of knowing the provenance of what will eventually go into my children. Yes... lb for lb it costs more... but to us it totally is worth it. Not only are we helping to protect a way of life (family farming) that is disappearing in America... but every time the news has some story about contamination or another major meat recall... we are relieved it does not apply to us.

Life is rarely black or white, there often are many shades of grey in between (255 if you are using 8bit) :lmao:

Personally I hope to visit Sea World some day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter