Sebastian's STRONG and SVELTE Under the Sea September W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge - All Welcome!

I'm here, I'm here! Save me a seat! Phew..... I was running.... did I make it? YES!! Just in time to grab a spot for the SEPTEMBER challenge!

HEY ALL! You have been missed! But life was insane and I needed to let something go and sadly, the DIS was it. But life will be slowing down now..... school has started so my 40 hour summer job is over (yup.... that part time job turned into nearly full time!), DD is away on her semester abroad and while I miss her terribly, it is a bit of a relief to my schedule. DS's craziness with robotics won't kick into high gear until January.... so for now, other than subbing and my WW job, things are a bit slower here. And I have a HUGE goal (for me anyhow) to lose 8 pounds before I go visit DD in Bermuda in mid-October. I lose SO SLOWLY that it will take some true dedication.... but the pounds have been creeping up and up and up this summer.... and since I started the summer over my maintenance goal, this isn't good! Taking off 8 pounds will bring me down under my maintenance goal for the first time since the spring I believe.

Anyhow.... no time to chat any further today.... off to school and then my WW meeting tonight. But I PROMISE to be back tomorrow! ...................P

do-something-today-future-self-thank-you-motivational-quotes-sayings-pictures.jpg

I hope everyone has a GREAT kick off day today. If you haven't already answered, today's QOTD is just a few posts up and is all about your goals for the month and how you plan to achieve them.

LOL all I can think of is that part in "Poor Unfortunate Souls" that says "This one's longing to be thinner, that one wants to get the girl, and do I help them? Yes, indeed." Happy September eve, my fellow unfortunate souls! :rotfl: Here's hoping we can all get through the month successfully withOUT having to pawn off our voices! I've definitely got some leg that I wouldn't mind losing, though... :rolleyes1

So excited to be kicking off another month with you wonderful creatures! I can not wait to see what our fearless leader @DisPup75 has in store for us along the way!
QOTD (9/1/15) -
I've really been struggling with what to make my goal for September. I really want something tangible and quantifiable, that I can work TOWARD, rather than something abstract that I'm working to maintain. I feel like, if I'm working to maintain the 100% all month long, then if I miss just once I'm more likely to give up because I can never get the 100% back. For that reason, I'm going to stick with my August goal of getting below 200lbs, that way I'm starting at 0% and fighting for 100% all month long! So with that being said...

GOAL: To weigh-in under 200lbs on September 30, 2015. I will consider my starting weight for the month to be the number my scale said this morning - 205.5. I will be fighting toward a reading of 199.9 or less. I will be tracking my percentages each week based on needing to lose a total 5.6lbs in order to hit the 199.9 mark.

PLAN: My plan to achieve my goal for the month is going to be three-fold.

1. Diet. I'm going to start back on my low-carb/high-protein diet, as it worked well for me earlier in the summer. I felt better overall and managed to take off a few pounds.
2. Exercise. I'm going to restart my HIIT program. I completed the first week, but my schedule got in the way (I know, excuses, excuses) and I let one day go by, then another, then another... I've since learned that I was doing a few things incorrectly, so I'm going to start fresh and see how it works. I'm also going to be adding in walks on my lunch break. I was doing this regularly in May, but had to stop with the heat index got out of control. Disney is next month, so I know I need to re-acclimate myself to the amount of walking we'll be doing. I'm also hoping that supplementing my HIIT program with what comes out to be a 2-mile walk anywhere from 2-5 times a week will help push me toward my goal.
3. Better Stress Management. The specifics of this step I have yet to figure out. I know I am going to be incredibly stressed out this month. There is just no ifs, ands, or buts about it, and any other expectation would just be lying to myself. My current go-to to combat stress is food. ESPECIALLY CARBS. I need chocolate, I need a cupcake, I need mashed potatoes, I need pasta. I need to find a new way to cope, even if it means I go force myself to take a nap when I feel the anxiety-attack brewing. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any! I just know that stress is one of the main causes of me falling off the wagon constantly, and I need to find a way to fix that. Unfortunately I will not be eliminating stress altogether this month, no matter how much I wish I could, so I've got to work on fixing how I deal with it. It doesn't help any that DH2B just wants to help me not stress, so if I say we absolutely have to stick to our diet, and then an hour later say I need a cupcake, he's out the door to get one before I can talk myself off the cupcake ledge. :rotfl: Bless him.

Bonus insight: What is the biggest threat to me achieving my goal for September?
Sigh. It's me. My August plan was fine. There were no problems with what I set out to do. It wasn't an overly ambitious amount of weight I wanted to lose. I had a decent plan in place to do it. But I just didn't do it. I allowed myself many, many cheat meals every week. I let myself take a night off from exercising, which became 2 nights off, which became a week off. I KNOW that I don't have time to slack off. The wedding is 54 days away and I do NOT have time to keep "starting over tomorrow". There are no more tomorrows! I KNOW this. But despite how much I know it, and how badly I want to stick to the plan and lose weight, it's still all too easy for me to give up. Sigh.
I read an article last night about the key to success is not to think of good and bad foods. The writer said for long term success you must build sustainable habits. To do that you should build in meals you really enjoy, eat smaller portions and have something you enjoy everyday. I have been working toward this...I do eat a jello or pudding at night as something I enjoy. He said if u are craving spaghetti and meatballs, have a small amount with a big salad. He said depriving yourself will make matters worse over time. Just more food for thought...lol!

I'm here, I'm here! Save me a seat! Phew..... I was running.... did I make it? YES!! Just in time to grab a spot for the SEPTEMBER challenge!

HEY ALL! You have been missed! But life was insane and I needed to let something go and sadly, the DIS was it. But life will be slowing down now..... school has started so my 40 hour summer job is over (yup.... that part time job turned into nearly full time!), DD is away on her semester abroad and while I miss her terribly, it is a bit of a relief to my schedule. DS's craziness with robotics won't kick into high gear until January.... so for now, other than subbing and my WW job, things are a bit slower here. And I have a HUGE goal (for me anyhow) to lose 8 pounds before I go visit DD in Bermuda in mid-October. I lose SO SLOWLY that it will take some true dedication.... but the pounds have been creeping up and up and up this summer.... and since I started the summer over my maintenance goal, this isn't good! Taking off 8 pounds will bring me down under my maintenance goal for the first time since the spring I believe.

Anyhow.... no time to chat any further today.... off to school and then my WW meeting tonight. But I PROMISE to be back tomorrow! ...................P
Welcome back. We will do all we can to support your goal! Here's looking forward to a great visit with your DD!

I'm also going to follow @JacknSally 's format!

Goals:
  • It's a bit of stretch for me but given my weigh-in at 207.6 pounds (woohoo!) this morning, I have a clear target. I want to see 199.8 on that scale more than almost anything! September 30 is my birthday as well as the last day of this challenge and I can't imagine a better birthday present than a return to Onederland. 199.8 would also put me a pound or so into the just-plain-overweight category, which would make me jump for joy. So my primary goal is to lose 7.8 pounds.
  • I'm also still trying to figure out this fitness thing. I spent much of August slacking off my steps and I want that trend to reverse. Instead of setting a 10,000/day step goal, I want to calculate it over the course of the month. So goal number 2? 300,000 steps.
  • Finally, also fitness related, my posture has gone from bad to truly atrocious lately. I've also failed miserably at my planned workout weights for both July and August so I'm going to switch things up a bit and try Pilates. I'm also keeping to goal achievable and so am committing to a mere 5 sessions.
Plan:
  • I'm still toying with the idea of giving Weight Watchers another shot but for now I'm going to stick with MFP since it is the meetings. I really want and those aren't going to fit into my schedule this fall. I do well enough when I actually budget my calories and follow my plan - I just need to DO IT. I adjusted my baseline calories downward to reflect my 199.8 pound goal (1300 net) and plan to get enough steps and other activity in to allow me to eat an average of 1700-1800 calories/day.
  • I seem to function best on a 50/30/20 carb/fat/protein breakdown and so will continue to aim for that and will concentrate on making vegetables, fruits, and lean protein the primary focus of my meals and snacks.
  • I will eat breakfast at home every morning unless I have plans to eat at a restaurant with table service. NO delis, bakeries, Starbucks pastries, muffin trays, bagels shops, etc. allowed.
  • I will pack my lunch at least 3 work days a week. Furthermore, I resolve to actually eat the lunch I packed.
  • I asked DH to limit baked goods that enter the house to those containing tree nuts. I'm deathly allergic and that will keep my grubby little hands off the cookies while still giving him open access to his treats.
  • Since the weather will hopefully continue to cool down a bit, I plan to add a lunchtime walk to my workday routine. I'm also increasing the pup's evening walk from 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 miles. The combination of the two should push me over 300,000 steps.
  • I added appointments to do Pilates to every calendar and device I own. The constant reminders and buzzers should motivate me to get it done!
Obstacles:
  • Me
  • Myself
  • I
Seriously, my not really trackable for the month is some heavy duty searching into my tendency for self-sabotage. I had far too many conversations with myself in August about all of the reasons why I shouldn't eat something or why I should go to the gym. Then I poured myself a bowl of potato chips (which I weighed and enters in my tracker), curled up on the couch, and watched a movie. I'm something of an emotional eater and I've had a rough summer. But honestly I would be less irritated with myself if I mindlessly munched my way through an entire bag of potato chips. So this month I'm declaring that tracking isn't enough. I actually have to not write calorie checks that my body can't cash (sorry for the mangled Top Gun reference. I couldn't help myself).
Yeah...I hear you loud and clear! I have to track all my meals, every day or that slippery slope becomes a sledding hill....weeeee....all the way down! Learning to eat well, in moderation and healthy takes practice. You can do it! We are all here struggling alongside!

Goals for this month....realistic goals: Drink one 32 ounce container of water every morning. Increase my calories daily by 100 to 150 ( I'm not eating enough). Eat more protein to fill those numbers. Eat mindfully...take small bites and enjoy the food. Weight loss goal....4 pounds. Also keeping in mind I'm cruising at the end of this month....will not be able to do a final check in (no wifi).....but will catch up in October with my report. Eating on the ship will be a huge challenge. I'm not going to deprive myself. I'll stick with small portions...and I won't have three desserts a day! So, if I can lose 4 pounds...and still eat the things I like...I will be doing fantastic at a 4 pound loss!

I read an article last night about the key to success is not to think of good and bad foods. The writer said for long term success you must build sustainable habits. To do that you should build in meals you really enjoy, eat smaller portions and have something you enjoy everyday. I have been working toward this...I do eat a jello or pudding at night as something I enjoy. He said if u are craving spaghetti and meatballs, have a small amount with a big salad. He said depriving yourself will make matters worse over time. Just more food for thought...lol!

Yes I know. That's something I'm aware of. And that is true in the long term picture. But since I'm mainly focused on next month right now, this is what I need to do for my body. I am not one who can just "cut back" on carbs. So if I want to lose any weight whatsoever, this is how I need to do it.

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! Happy SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it would never get here. Hope everyone is excited to kick of a new month STRONG! I know I am. Looking forward to some great conversation and motivation this month!

August results are posted! Hop over and check them out. A big congrats to our three big losers who finished OVER 100% last month!! So proud of you guys!

Hope everyone has a great day! Can't wait to see everyone's goals. Welcome back @pjlla ! You were missed last month!

I am new here, so a quick little background. I first made a decision to change up my diet and exercise habits in 2009. My oldest was starting preschool 2 days a week and my youngest was 19 months old. I just didn't have the energy I wanted and felt very "blah". I was pounds away from moving on the BMI chart from overweight to obese, and with family histories of health problems related to weight I knew I had to change things up. I was fortunate in that I had a friend and neighbor who was very fit, but very low key about it. She didn't flaunt it or make a big deal when she won a triathlon or 5k. It was simply a way of life for her, and the way she'd actually grown up. I wanted that for me and my kids. When I nervously told her my plan to loose weight she encouraged me to join the same gym as her and try spin classes early (545) before the kids got up a couple of days a week. She also said she'd put her kids in the childcare with mine on another day or two so they'd all be able to play together and we could do our own thing in other classes or the fitness center. Huge difference quick. I lost 10 pounds the first month doing that and cleaning up my diet just a bit. A month later another 5-6 pounds with some additional dietary tweaks. Month three a few more pounds (don't recall exactly) and made it to "normal weight" albeit on the high side of normal. I am 5'3" so normal for me is 105-144, if I want to stay in a healthy BMI range. My goal was to split the difference, and hit 125, because I am not small or large framed, I am medium, so right in the middle seemed a good goal. I never made it. I eventually made it to 130 (from a 6 week post partum high of 170 and pregnancy high of 192) and that is where I stayed for years, and pretty happily. I had a nagging voice in my head from time to time, but I felt great and it seemed like I just had found a happy weight, even if it was not ideal in my mind.

Fast forward to this spring. I had surgery in April and because of the nature of the surgery and the hoped for result, I had to have a very low impact recovery. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for weeks, I could not run, bike, swim or anything that had impact. The most I could do for 6 weeks was gentle, slow walking. That restriction ended just as the school year was ending for my kids and my normal routine for exercise was thrown on its head. I just never found my groove this summer. Food is also my "drug" of choice, so when I felt bad about myself or wanted to punish myself for failing to get up and exercise before my husband left for work, I'd overeat junk. All that led to a quick 10 pounds back on. So after that longer than intended introduction here it is:

Goal:
  • Lose 5 pounds. This is my primary goal. I don't want to set myself up to fail, I am not sure how fast I can loose this time around, because I have less overall to loose than the last time. I figure half of what I lost the last time in the first month is a reasonable goal.
  • Go to the gym 3x week. That friend and neighbor I mentioned who got me on the fitness wagon moved at the start of summer :sad1:. The gym just hasn't felt the same without her, so I haven't been going. I was using the kids as an excuse all summer, but they are in school. My butt needs to get back to the gym.
  • Follow my Avengers training schedule at least 4 of the 5 days a week. I have been keeping up with it only sporadically. I am only a little over two months away from the races, and I need to do this. My increasing weight means running is getting harder not easier, so I am hoping achieving these goals will be a double whammy. Keep up with my training will help with the weight loss, losing weight will make it easier to keep up with my training. I am scheduled to run/walk the 5k with my kids (7 & 9) and DH. I am also registered for the Infinity Gauntlet challenge of the 10k and half marathon.
  • Refocus on my physical training and strength training. I had a running injury in the winter, at the time of the GSC, I have never fully recovered from. I see a physical therapist people come from all over the state to see because he is that great. I ran into him by accident because his office is .1 mile from my house;) If I would follow through better I would be much further along with the injury. Granted the surgery/recovery cycle above interrupted things, but I really need to focus on this now.
Plan:
  • Use My Fitness Pal. Back when I first lost a significiant amount of weight, recording food was a big part of my success. MFP did not exist then, that I know of, but I used a different site. I since began using MFP. I find it easy and its quick evidence that the handful of chocolate chips when I need an energy boost is doing more damage calorie wise than I think.
  • Go to the gym. It is that easy, once I'm there, I am happy and feel energized. I just have to get myself there.
  • Look at my schedule each Sunday night. If I have obstacles for keeping to the plan for a given day that week, I will look at the week so I can at least reschedule the week so I meet the plan requirements most days. I will do every long run, and if anything has to go it will be a day of short, easy running.
  • Just do it. Simply put, my PT exercises should take about 15 minutes twice a day. It should be easy to find. I get up ahead of everyone in the Am, and I should make it part of my my morning "me" time. After all it is for me. But I find excused to put it off, and it doesn't get done. I need to prioritize it. At night I am usually simply sitting on the couch watching tv from 9 until bedtime. I should just do it while I am otherwise not busy. I have made a spreadsheet :rolleyes: with all my daily exercises, and I will check it off morning and night (just 1x a day for some) and hopefully seeing my consistency or lack there-of will help.
Obstacles:
  • Me. I can come up with an excuse for anything. ANYTHING!
  • Poor planning. I set up such ideal plans. Oh the spreadsheets I have with exercise goals, training plans, nutrition plans. But, they are way to idealistic and not realistic. So, my plan is to look at the ideal each Sunday and try to predict what might get in my way each week. Then, I will try to determine what I can to mitigate any interruptions and adjust it for that week.
  • Lack of motivation. I am going to be honest here. Most people think I look fine and healthy. They don't see the scale, or know my family history. If I complain about weight I get rolls of the eyes or underhanded comments. I a not technically overweight right now, but I am getting close, and I've been gaining not losing all summer. I need more motivation, and since my friend moved, I feel like I have no one else but my ill-motivated self holding me accountable. Thats why I have joined these challenges (this and the exercise challenge). I am hoping having others to be accountable to will make a difference. I never want to let others down, but I am fine letting myself down. I know it needs to come from me, but, in the early stages, if it takes having outside support to help keep me on the wagon, then thats what I am going to go for.

Man that was long winded. But I feel like getting it out there and writing it down was a solid first step for me. I can come back and read it if I am feeling unmotivated. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and experiencing our success and rebounding from our disappointments together!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and experiencing our success and rebounding from our disappointments together!

:welcome: We are happy to have you here! This is a wonderful board if you're needing the motivation! I think we all know here that whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds, it can be a struggle. No ones knows your story better than you so shake off the haters and join us instead. Only you know where you need to be in order to feel happy and healthy.

YAY September!!

GOAL:
My goal for the month is to lose 5.5 pounds. I was much more successful with WW than I had been with MFP so I think my goal last month was too low. I didn’t challenge myself enough and ended up feeling disappointed in myself even though I achieved the goal! So I think 5 pounds will be a bit more challenging and keep me on my toes. PLUS, my WDW trip is Dec 2nd and I’d like to get below the 200 pound mark (like 199.9 is perfect). The trip is 13 weeks out and I’m at 217.5 so I need to lose like 1.4 pounds a week to achieve the goal. But I know that weeks can vary so instead of a weekly goal I’ll just make it a monthly.

PLAN: I have a couple plans!

1. Stick to WW. This is something I felt I struggled with. The week was great but the weekends were so rough. I’d eat all my weeklies in one day because I’d have donuts for breakfast, Chik Fil A for lunch and a whole lot of other junk for dinner. And then I’d feel miserable all weekend and afraid the next week that I’d sabotaged myself. So I do think that it’s okay to use weeklies but I’d like to use them in a healthier way.

2. Go to the gym! The best thing that I’ve ever done is switched to going straight to the gym after work. It keeps me from getting to lazy and calling my couch the gym instead. My goal is to go 4/7 days a week. Weekends can be hard but I’m making my DH go on Sunday runs with me outside so that I can get used to actually running outdoors because I’ll be running my first 5k in October. But 4 days is very reasonable and something I’m doing pretty consistently anyway.

Possible Pitfalls:

1. This weekend (of course) there are two birthdays! My dad’s and my sweet little nephew. And we’re celebrating back-to-back. Fortunately, I will be skipping the cake for my nephew’s party which means that I’ll feel a little less guilty about eating out for my dad’s birthday.

2. Myself! Like many people, I struggle every day to motivate myself to not eat all the carbs and chocolate and so on. So I really am going to work to reign myself in this month.

I’m so happy for a new month and a fresh start!

eptember 30 is my birthday as well as the last day of this challenge and I can't imagine a better birthday present than a return to Onederland

High-five to a fellow September birthday :)

You got this! We'll cheer you on as you break through to 199.8... if you feel like you need a coaching moment or having trouble, please please please post early and often here so we can tell you "don't eat it! Put it down!"

depriving yourself will make matters worse over time

This is so true! It's all about everything in moderation - WW has taught me this and it's amazing how I can enjoy a cakepop at Disneyland and eat one of the yummy chicken caesar salads too. You can still go out and enjoy the things you like - maybe just not as much "quantity" as you used to. A slice or two of pizza won't kill you. Two or three pizza's in a sitting will.

I have been thinking and thinking about my goal(s) for this month and there are so many to choose from!
BUT - I have decided that I will stick with making the number of active minutes per day be my goal again for this month.
I have some things to do around here right now but later I will come back and tell a condensed version of my fight with obesity for most of my life.

So my goal that I will keep updated here will be to have 1200 active minutes this month, that's up from my goal in August (which I exceeded by the way!!!)
and I measure that thru my fitbit so the only time I put down numbers for this goal is when "Fitty" tells me I have active minutes..............and "Fitty" is a mean old beast, he won't say I have active minutes unless its sustained for a certain amount of time! I walked really fast to the mail box one day and I think mean old Fitty was just laughing at me for that ONE minute that I moved fast!

Let's get this party started with our September 1 Question of the Day (QOTD)!

September is still a few hours away but I know that we are all busy formulating our goals for the month and our plans for how to get there.

To Achieve a Goal, a Dream, a Wish, You Must Plan It out for Success!
-Voltaire (Candide)
What goal or goals do you plan to work towards in September? Which ones are you going to track? And most important of all, what is your plan for achieving those goals?

One piece of advice.... Consulting a sea witch is probably not the best plan for realizing your dreams but anything else is fair game!

The-Little-Mermaid-image-the-little-mermaid-36699939-5760-3240.jpg

Hello everyone and welcome to September!

Goal: My primary goal that I will be tracking this month is to lose 10 lbs. My long-term goal for my wedding on October 30 is to be 275 lbs. To achieve that goal I need to lose 17 lbs total.

My secondary goal is to squat 160 lbs, deadlift 200 lbs, and bench press 100 lbs by the end of the month. During my last workout I was squatting 115, deadlifting 130, and bench pressing 80 lbs.

Plan:

(1)
Go to the gym every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I'm going to continue using the StrongLifts workout program that I've been using.

(2) Continue tracking my steps via FitBit even after the ongoing challenge at my office ends on Sept 10. My goal is 8000 steps a day on workdays (Sun, Mon, Tue and every other Wed) and 10000 steps a day on non-workdays.

(3) Bring lunch to work at least two days a week and eat dinner out no more than twice a week.

Obstacles:
(1)
Myself - when it comes to food I am my own worst enemy.

(2) Travel - I will be traveling to Tulsa to visit family this weekend (my dad's birthday is tomorrow). I leave tonight and I'm trying to find a gym for my Wednesday and Friday workouts this week.

(3) Celebrations - As mentioned above my dad's birthday is tomorrow and we will be having at least one dinner for that along with seeing cousins in Arkansas Friday where we will probably have lunch/dinner. My DW2B's birthday is the 17th and we will have a family party that night along with a party for friends that Saturday. Both football (American and soccer) seasons will be in full force starting this Saturday and I usually meet up to watch the Bayern Munich games and Arkansas Razorback games with friends, so I need to make sure I limit my alcohol intake (all those carbs).

I am looking forward to a strong September with everyone!

What goal or goals do you plan to work towards in September? Which ones are you going to track? And most important of all, what is your plan for achieving those goals?

Goal: Be down 3 lbs at the end of September

Plan: Since last month's super detailed plan did not work for me, I'm going simple this month.
1) At least 15 min of exercise 6x per week
2) Be a more mindful eater - plan my meals and snacks when I can, and when I can't, think before I eat

Obstacles:
1) Me. I get in my own head too much, and then I get too lazy to do the work needed to reach my goal.
2) Life. September will be a busy month for me, and it will be hard for me to not let that derail me

Goals for this month....realistic goals: Drink one 32 ounce container of water every morning. Increase my calories daily by 100 to 150 ( I'm not eating enough). Eat more protein to fill those numbers. Eat mindfully...take small bites and enjoy the food. Weight loss goal....4 pounds. Also keeping in mind I'm cruising at the end of this month....will not be able to do a final check in (no wifi).....but will catch up in October with my report. Eating on the ship will be a huge challenge. I'm not going to deprive myself. I'll stick with small portions...and I won't have three desserts a day! So, if I can lose 4 pounds...and still eat the things I like...I will be doing fantastic at a 4 pound loss!

These sound like great, realistic goals. And planning ahead for that cruise is smart!

August results are posted! Hop over and check them out. A big congrats to our three big losers who finished OVER 100% last month!! So proud of you guys!

Woo hoo! Congrats to the big losers!! Thanks again to JacknSally for all of the motivation and support! August was a great month!!

I am new here, so a quick little background. I first made a decision to change up my diet and exercise habits in 2009. My oldest was starting preschool 2 days a week and my youngest was 19 months old. I just didn't have the energy I wanted and felt very "blah". I was pounds away from moving on the BMI chart from overweight to obese, and with family histories of health problems related to weight I knew I had to change things up. I was fortunate in that I had a friend and neighbor who was very fit, but very low key about it. She didn't flaunt it or make a big deal when she won a triathlon or 5k. It was simply a way of life for her, and the way she'd actually grown up. I wanted that for me and my kids. When I nervously told her my plan to loose weight she encouraged me to join the same gym as her and try spin classes early (545) before the kids got up a couple of days a week. She also said she'd put her kids in the childcare with mine on another day or two so they'd all be able to play together and we could do our own thing in other classes or the fitness center. Huge difference quick. I lost 10 pounds the first month doing that and cleaning up my diet just a bit. A month later another 5-6 pounds with some additional dietary tweaks. Month three a few more pounds (don't recall exactly) and made it to "normal weight" albeit on the high side of normal. I am 5'3" so normal for me is 105-144, if I want to stay in a healthy BMI range. My goal was to split the difference, and hit 125, because I am not small or large framed, I am medium, so right in the middle seemed a good goal. I never made it. I eventually made it to 130 (from a 6 week post partum high of 170 and pregnancy high of 192) and that is where I stayed for years, and pretty happily. I had a nagging voice in my head from time to time, but I felt great and it seemed like I just had found a happy weight, even if it was not ideal in my mind.

Fast forward to this spring. I had surgery in April and because of the nature of the surgery and the hoped for result, I had to have a very low impact recovery. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for weeks, I could not run, bike, swim or anything that had impact. The most I could do for 6 weeks was gentle, slow walking. That restriction ended just as the school year was ending for my kids and my normal routine for exercise was thrown on its head. I just never found my groove this summer. Food is also my "drug" of choice, so when I felt bad about myself or wanted to punish myself for failing to get up and exercise before my husband left for work, I'd overeat junk. All that led to a quick 10 pounds back on. So after that longer than intended introduction here it is:

Goal:
  • Lose 5 pounds. This is my primary goal. I don't want to set myself up to fail, I am not sure how fast I can loose this time around, because I have less overall to loose than the last time. I figure half of what I lost the last time in the first month is a reasonable goal.
  • Go to the gym 3x week. That friend and neighbor I mentioned who got me on the fitness wagon moved at the start of summer :sad1:. The gym just hasn't felt the same without her, so I haven't been going. I was using the kids as an excuse all summer, but they are in school. My butt needs to get back to the gym.
  • Follow my Avengers training schedule at least 4 of the 5 days a week. I have been keeping up with it only sporadically. I am only a little over two months away from the races, and I need to do this. My increasing weight means running is getting harder not easier, so I am hoping achieving these goals will be a double whammy. Keep up with my training will help with the weight loss, losing weight will make it easier to keep up with my training. I am scheduled to run/walk the 5k with my kids (7 & 9) and DH. I am also registered for the Infinity Gauntlet challenge of the 10k and half marathon.
  • Refocus on my physical training and strength training. I had a running injury in the winter, at the time of the GSC, I have never fully recovered from. I see a physical therapist people come from all over the state to see because he is that great. I ran into him by accident because his office is .1 mile from my house;) If I would follow through better I would be much further along with the injury. Granted the surgery/recovery cycle above interrupted things, but I really need to focus on this now.
Plan:
  • Use My Fitness Pal. Back when I first lost a significiant amount of weight, recording food was a big part of my success. MFP did not exist then, that I know of, but I used a different site. I since began using MFP. I find it easy and its quick evidence that the handful of chocolate chips when I need an energy boost is doing more damage calorie wise than I think.
  • Go to the gym. It is that easy, once I'm there, I am happy and feel energized. I just have to get myself there.
  • Look at my schedule each Sunday night. If I have obstacles for keeping to the plan for a given day that week, I will look at the week so I can at least reschedule the week so I meet the plan requirements most days. I will do every long run, and if anything has to go it will be a day of short, easy running.
  • Just do it. Simply put, my PT exercises should take about 15 minutes twice a day. It should be easy to find. I get up ahead of everyone in the Am, and I should make it part of my my morning "me" time. After all it is for me. But I find excused to put it off, and it doesn't get done. I need to prioritize it. At night I am usually simply sitting on the couch watching tv from 9 until bedtime. I should just do it while I am otherwise not busy. I have made a spreadsheet :rolleyes: with all my daily exercises, and I will check it off morning and night (just 1x a day for some) and hopefully seeing my consistency or lack there-of will help.
Obstacles:
  • Me. I can come up with an excuse for anything. ANYTHING!
  • Poor planning. I set up such ideal plans. Oh the spreadsheets I have with exercise goals, training plans, nutrition plans. But, they are way to idealistic and not realistic. So, my plan is to look at the ideal each Sunday and try to predict what might get in my way each week. Then, I will try to determine what I can to mitigate any interruptions and adjust it for that week.
  • Lack of motivation. I am going to be honest here. Most people think I look fine and healthy. They don't see the scale, or know my family history. If I complain about weight I get rolls of the eyes or underhanded comments. I a not technically overweight right now, but I am getting close, and I've been gaining not losing all summer. I need more motivation, and since my friend moved, I feel like I have no one else but my ill-motivated self holding me accountable. Thats why I have joined these challenges (this and the exercise challenge). I am hoping having others to be accountable to will make a difference. I never want to let others down, but I am fine letting myself down. I know it needs to come from me, but, in the early stages, if it takes having outside support to help keep me on the wagon, then thats what I am going to go for.

Man that was long winded. But I feel like getting it out there and writing it down was a solid first step for me. I can come back and read it if I am feeling unmotivated. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and experiencing our success and rebounding from our disappointments together!

I think that is is great to have the full story! You definitely know what to do and we are near to help you do it!!

YAY September!!

GOAL:
My goal for the month is to lose 5.5 pounds. I was much more successful with WW than I had been with MFP so I think my goal last month was too low. I didn’t challenge myself enough and ended up feeling disappointed in myself even though I achieved the goal! So I think 5 pounds will be a bit more challenging and keep me on my toes. PLUS, my WDW trip is Dec 2nd and I’d like to get below the 200 pound mark (like 199.9 is perfect). The trip is 13 weeks out and I’m at 217.5 so I need to lose like 1.4 pounds a week to achieve the goal. But I know that weeks can vary so instead of a weekly goal I’ll just make it a monthly.

PLAN: I have a couple plans!

1. Stick to WW. This is something I felt I struggled with. The week was great but the weekends were so rough. I’d eat all my weeklies in one day because I’d have donuts for breakfast, Chik Fil A for lunch and a whole lot of other junk for dinner. And then I’d feel miserable all weekend and afraid the next week that I’d sabotaged myself. So I do think that it’s okay to use weeklies but I’d like to use them in a healthier way.

2. Go to the gym! The best thing that I’ve ever done is switched to going straight to the gym after work. It keeps me from getting to lazy and calling my couch the gym instead. My goal is to go 4/7 days a week. Weekends can be hard but I’m making my DH go on Sunday runs with me outside so that I can get used to actually running outdoors because I’ll be running my first 5k in October. But 4 days is very reasonable and something I’m doing pretty consistently anyway.

Possible Pitfalls:

1. This weekend (of course) there are two birthdays! My dad’s and my sweet little nephew. And we’re celebrating back-to-back. Fortunately, I will be skipping the cake for my nephew’s party which means that I’ll feel a little less guilty about eating out for my dad’s birthday.

2. Myself! Like many people, I struggle every day to motivate myself to not eat all the carbs and chocolate and so on. So I really am going to work to reign myself in this month.

I’m so happy for a new month and a fresh start!

Great goals! There sure are a lot of us hovering just above that 199.9 mark. We are all going to get there together!

High-five to a fellow September birthday :)

You got this! We'll cheer you on as you break through to 199.8... if you feel like you need a coaching moment or having trouble, please please please post early and often here so we can tell you "don't eat it! Put it down!"

I love birthdays! And I I really love the idea of posting here before eating the whatever it is. Advice I'm going to take!

I have been thinking and thinking about my goal(s) for this month and there are so many to choose from!
BUT - I have decided that I will stick with making the number of active minutes per day be my goal again for this month.
I have some things to do around here right now but later I will come back and tell a condensed version of my fight with obesity for most of my life.

So my goal that I will keep updated here will be to have 1200 active minutes this month, that's up from my goal in August (which I exceeded by the way!!!)
and I measure that thru my fitbit so the only time I put down numbers for this goal is when "Fitty" tells me I have active minutes..............and "Fitty" is a mean old beast, he won't say I have active minutes unless its sustained for a certain amount of time! I walked really fast to the mail box one day and I think mean old Fitty was just laughing at me for that ONE minute that I moved fast!

I really like this goal! Someday I need to figure out exactly how it is that my "fitty" calculates active minutes. Right now it is a huge mystery to me.

Hello everyone and welcome to September!

Goal: My primary goal that I will be tracking this month is to lose 10 lbs. My long-term goal for my wedding on October 30 is to be 275 lbs. To achieve that goal I need to lose 17 lbs total.

My secondary goal is to squat 160 lbs, deadlift 200 lbs, and bench press 100 lbs by the end of the month. During my last workout I was squatting 115, deadlifting 130, and bench pressing 80 lbs.

Plan:

(1)
Go to the gym every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I'm going to continue using the StrongLifts workout program that I've been using.

(2) Continue tracking my steps via FitBit even after the ongoing challenge at my office ends on Sept 10. My goal is 8000 steps a day on workdays (Sun, Mon, Tue and every other Wed) and 10000 steps a day on non-workdays.

(3) Bring lunch to work at least two days a week and eat dinner out no more than twice a week.

Obstacles:
(1)
Myself - when it comes to food I am my own worst enemy.

(2) Travel - I will be traveling to Tulsa to visit family this weekend (my dad's birthday is tomorrow). I leave tonight and I'm trying to find a gym for my Wednesday and Friday workouts this week.

(3) Celebrations - As mentioned above my dad's birthday is tomorrow and we will be having at least one dinner for that along with seeing cousins in Arkansas Friday where we will probably have lunch/dinner. My DW2B's birthday is the 17th and we will have a family party that night along with a party for friends that Saturday. Both football (American and soccer) seasons will be in full force starting this Saturday and I usually meet up to watch the Bayern Munich games and Arkansas Razorback games with friends, so I need to make sure I limit my alcohol intake (all those carbs).

I am looking forward to a strong September with everyone!

You've got a great, specific plan!

Goal: Be down 3 lbs at the end of September

Plan: Since last month's super detailed plan did not work for me, I'm going simple this month.
1) At least 15 min of exercise 6x per week
2) Be a more mindful eater - plan my meals and snacks when I can, and when I can't, think before I eat

Obstacles:
1) Me. I get in my own head too much, and then I get too lazy to do the work needed to reach my goal.
2) Life. September will be a busy month for me, and it will be hard for me to not let that derail me

Super simple is sometimes the way to go, especially during the busy times. We are here for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter