Security check and adaptable utensils - DL

2_Eagle_Mom

Kungaloosh!!
I've looked through about 12 pages of posts, but didn't see this addressed.

We are excited to take my 93 year old mother to DL. She hasn't been since 1974 and she wants to see "how things have changed". She is SO excited she is already planning on what to pack (and we don't go till November).

I'm thinking of all the items that she uses daily and what we will need to bring with us to make the trip a success. She uses adaptable utensils when eating (spoon, fork and knife with large handles). Has anyone ever had any issues getting them through security? I can see that the knife might be an issue and we can just leave that out if needed, but will there be an issue with the spoon and fork? She can use regular utensils, it just takes her much longer to eat and a lot of dropping of the utensils.

Thanks in advance for any experienced assistance.

The security check at the park I think you're referring to?

If so this shouldn't be an issue. I carry a white cane which I tend to have folded in my bag (only need at night or in low light levels so don't use 24/7 and this looks a bit like a weapon in my bag. Only once have they queried it and when I explained what it was for they were fine with it. I think as long as you explain it there shouldn't be a problem.

If you are referring to the security check at the airport, mention it at checkin and they will advise you but they do have a locked box they can put things like this in if they are concerned about them. It may mean she wont have them on the plane but she will have them once she gets there at least.

Thanks to both of you! I was referring to the security check at the park. I should have been clearer. We'll be checking our bags for the plane ride so there shouldn't be any issue with getting them down there (we already have two sets). I just didn't want to bring them to the park just to have to send someone back to the hotel room because we couldn't bring them in.

Thanks to both of you! I was referring to the security check at the park. I should have been clearer. We'll be checking our bags for the plane ride so there shouldn't be any issue with getting them down there (we already have two sets). I just didn't want to bring them to the park just to have to send someone back to the hotel room because we couldn't bring them in.
If you would not be able to bring them in, the utensils would be held for you at Guest Relations and you would pick them up when you leave the park. That is what they do with things like selfie sticks that are not allowed.

That said, I don’t see any reason they would not let you bring them in.
Security is looking for weapons or items that could be used as weapons, glass (except for baby food) and alcohol.
I’m familiar with adaptive silverware and can’t think of any reason that would be more dangerous than regular silverware (unless her knife is a steak knife or dagger).

We bring a regular metal fork and spoon with us wherever we go (on the plane too) and have never been stopped or questioned about it. Because my daughter has cerebral palsy and her mouth can ‘snap’ shut quickly sometimes, plastic utensils can crack and injure her.

I've looked through about 12 pages of posts, but didn't see this addressed.

We are excited to take my 93 year old mother to DL. She hasn't been since 1974 and she wants to see "how things have changed". She is SO excited she is already planning on what to pack (and we don't go till November).

I'm thinking of all the items that she uses daily and what we will need to bring with us to make the trip a success. She uses adaptable utensils when eating (spoon, fork and knife with large handles). Has anyone ever had any issues getting them through security? I can see that the knife might be an issue and we can just leave that out if needed, but will there be an issue with the spoon and fork? She can use regular utensils, it just takes her much longer to eat and a lot of dropping of the utensils.

Thanks in advance for any experienced assistance.

Others here have answered your silverware question, so I'll just add this:

My first time at Disney World (which was just the Magic Kingdom back then!) was 1972. I celebrated my 12th birthday there! (Yes, do the math, people. I'm old. I'm ok with that LOL)

Tell your Mom that things have changed A LOT since then! :) The irony is, if you go to Magic Kingdom first (and I think you should!) Main Street won't be that different, and of course, that view - the one that still to this day gives me cold chills when I come around the corner, and there is the Castle... - that view has not changed too much either. :)

Start her off easy... :) And just a tip - remember that if she will be in a wheelchair, make sure that even in November, to cover the tips of her ears, the tops of her hands, and feet (and knees if they are exposed) with sunscreen; you really do need UV protection year-round at WDW. Obviously, a lovely hat will do wonders for protecting her neck and shoulders. A gel cushion may help her be more comfortable in the chair, and make sure that the foot pedals are adjusted to the length of her legs so that her feet don't dangle, or her knees aren't up around her ears! :) Last wheelchair tip? Cool nights at WDW while sitting in a chair can get chilly pretty fast - there's actually a "wind chill" effect when you are moving while seated and not expending the energy to walk. Bring along a lovely pashmina or a cozy blanket that you can drape over the seat back of the chair during the day.

And last but not least, get PhotoPass/Memory Maker so that everyone can be in all of the pictures, and you don't have to worry about capturing all of those great shots.

I hope that she - and all of you! - have the best trip ever!!! :)

My first time at Disney World (which was just the Magic Kingdom back then!) was 1972. I celebrated my 12th birthday there! (Yes, do the math, people. I'm old. I'm ok with that LOL)

Tell your Mom that things have changed A LOT since then! :) The irony is, if you go to Magic Kingdom first (and I think you should!) Main Street won't be that different, and of course, that view - the one that still to this day gives me cold chills when I come around the corner, and there is the Castle... - that view has not changed too much either. :)

Start her off easy... :) And just a tip - remember that if she will be in a wheelchair, make sure that even in November, to cover the tips of her ears, the tops of her hands, and feet (and knees if they are exposed) with sunscreen; you really do need UV protection year-round at WDW. Obviously, a lovely hat will do wonders for protecting her neck and shoulders. A gel cushion may help her be more comfortable in the chair, and make sure that the foot pedals are adjusted to the length of her legs so that her feet don't dangle, or her knees aren't up around her ears! :) Last wheelchair tip? Cool nights at WDW while sitting in a chair can get chilly pretty fast - there's actually a "wind chill" effect when you are moving while seated and not expending the energy to walk. Bring along a lovely pashmina or a cozy blanket that you can drape over the seat back of the chair during the day.

And last but not least, get PhotoPass/Memory Maker so that everyone can be in all of the pictures, and you don't have to worry about capturing all of those great shots.

I have you beat with age in your 72 trip I would have been 22 so if you are old what does that make me

I have you beat with age in your 72 trip I would have been 22 so if you are old what does that make me

Well, I'm OLD because the people I work with are all young enough to be my kids, or grandkids LOL. Mostly grandkids. I try not think about it too much, except when they all go off and do things over the weekend that would land me in the ER on the first try LOL

You, on the other hand can't be old! You're only 10 years older than *me*!!!

Let's see... how 'bout "well seasoned"? No, wait, that sounds like a steak and baked potato. (and now I'm hungry!)

I can't use "gently aged" because for all I know you were (and maybe still are!) ornery! LOL

What about... nope. Wait a minute! I know!

When we are at Disney World we don't have to worry about our age, because we can just act our shoe size!!! :)

Well, I'm OLD because the people I work with are all young enough to be my kids, or grandkids LOL. Mostly grandkids. I try not think about it too much, except when they all go off and do things over the weekend that would land me in the ER on the first try LOL

Let's see... how 'bout "well seasoned"? No, wait, that sounds like a steak and baked potato. (and now I'm hungry!)

I can't use "gently aged" because for all I know you were (and maybe still are!) ornery! LOL

When we are at Disney World we don't have to worry about our age, because we can just act our shoe size!!! :)
I have the same thing at work. most of the kids I work with are the age of my oldest grandson who also works with me at small park in Pa

My grandmother lived to be 96. When she was 95, she finally admitted she MIGHT be getting old. I think we all need to have that attitude!

Thanks mamabunny!

We will be going to DL in CA, but I appreciate all of your tips. We don't need her to get sunburned while on this adventure. I was thinking about getting an umbrella attachment to her chair so we could make sure she is covered while in the sun. Going to DL there is a greater than average chance that it will be cool (maybe even during the day) so we will be packing the sweater and small lap blanket. I'll probably be packing the largest backpack since the kids were little! Heck, since they are coming with, I may just have them carry some of the stuff as well.

PhotoPass will be a must! I promised her she would be getting some ears and we WILL be visiting Mickey!

She is SO excited! I'm starting her on a Disney movie education to get her up to speed on all of the new characters. We tried to watch Frozen last night but she fell asleep before the ice harvest was finished.

My grandmother lived to be 96. When she was 95, she finally admitted she MIGHT be getting old. I think we all need to have that attitude!
My mom's sister finally decided at 90 to stop climbing ladders to get on top of the roof. Mom has been having some health issues so she isn't climbing any ladders but is a hoot to be around.

My mom's sister finally decided at 90 to stop climbing ladders to get on top of the roof. Mom has been having some health issues so she isn't climbing any ladders but is a hoot to be around.

Can they come over to play? :) They sound like they would be fun to hang out with LOL

My BFF in New Orleans will be 93 on her next birthday. We take her to Commander's Palace when we are in New Orleans where she likes to have her two martinis before lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter