Selfie Deaths

I think the whole selfie/social media trend has made it much worse, but apparently, doing stupid things for photos isn't new. I came across this in a book from 1964, and immediately thought of this thread:

View attachment 426770

It looks like the dad stepped over the barrier to get a pic of his family?

I'm not sure who the people in the photo are. The photographer behind him and not in the pic was Gary Winogrand. read more

Yep, far from new. I remember my first trip to Disney in 1980 some parents had their kids about ages 4 to 6 stand on the concrete rail on the bridge near Cinderella's Castle for a photo op. One lost his balance getting down and fell forward. He could have easily fallen backwards into moat.

Taking yourself out of the gene pool for the sake of a photo? Another contender for the Darwin awards.
I watch a webcam for Stromboli, a very active volcano, a hiker was recently killed during an eruption, the authorities have banned hikers for the moment, but, people still go there to get that selfie. Idiots.

I don't understand this narcissistic trend of needing pictures and videos of yourself everywhere. I went to the Grand Canyon twenty years ago, shot 3 rolls of film and there is not one image of me. My Facebook Universal and Disney pages are littered with pictures of strangers who think we want to see their faces. I just don't get it.

I don't either. Never mind death-by-selfie, I wish the bathroom selfie trend would just stop. People look ridiculous posing in front of their bathroom mirrors. Driver selfies too. All selfies!

I don't understand this narcissistic trend of needing pictures and videos of yourself everywhere. I went to the Grand Canyon twenty years ago, shot 3 rolls of film and there is not one image of me. My Facebook Universal and Disney pages are littered with pictures of strangers who think we want to see their faces. I just don't get it.
Unless photography is a hobby or profession, I don't understand people who take hundreds of pictures of popular vacation destinations without themselves or their family in it. I mean when I'm dead, my kids and grandkids can easily find professional beautiful photographs of the Grand Canyon, but they will want to see what grandma looked like or what they looked like younger.

I am really not into selfies and don't love photographs of myself, but I will get in the photograph for memorable occasions because I want to remember or have my kids be able to remember.

Yep, far from new. I remember my first trip to Disney in 1980 some parents had their kids about ages 4 to 6 stand on the concrete rail on the bridge near Cinderella's Castle for a photo op. One lost his balance getting down and fell forward. He could have easily fallen backwards into moat.

Bet it hurt more to fall forward than to splash in from a backwards fall though?

Unless photography is a hobby or profession, I don't understand people who take hundreds of pictures of popular vacation destinations without themselves or their family in it. I mean when I'm dead, my kids and grandkids can easily find professional beautiful photographs of the Grand Canyon, but they will want to see what grandma looked like or what they looked like younger.

I am really not into selfies and don't love photographs of myself, but I will get in the photograph for memorable occasions because I want to remember or have my kids be able to remember.

I'm just the opposite - I love to take unique photos of the places I go, not so much caring what any of us looked like at the time :)

There's no shortage of vacation pictures of me. I'm just saying when I'm taking pictures for my memories I feel no need to stick my face in them.

Sorry, if I wanted to see landscape and nature pics, I'd buy a magazine. I'm 55 and traveled alot when I was a kid. My dad would never ever take pics without us being in them and for that I am so grateful. volcanoes/mountains/oceans/lakes/forest behind the wife and kids.

This! One of my big regrets now that my parents are gone is that there aren't many pictures of them. I, personally, don't need lots of pics of myself - but I take them for my son (and future grandkids).

Sorry, if I wanted to see landscape and nature pics, I'd buy a magazine. I'm 55 and traveled alot when I was a kid. My dad would never ever take pics without us being in them and for that I am so grateful. volcanoes/mountains/oceans/lakes/forest behind the wife and kids.
This thread is about selfies.

what? I didn't know we were hand tied to stay on such a strict line of topic.
My point is you seem to think I'm talking about vacation pictures in general. It's about selfies. As I said there is no shortage of vacation pictures that I am in. I have an annual Photo Pass for Universal. Hundreds of pictures. But When I take a picture of something interesting, something I want to remember or maybe post, I feel no urge to stick my face in the foreground.

ITA. I mean, why not then just send a postcard saying "I was here"?

Well said

I always offer to take pics of people when I see them and many times I get turned down because they want it to have the selfie look. 🙄

That's one reason. Another reason is that many people are so incredibly bad at taking pictures. They'll take a picture and my feet are cut off, or an arm, or something else. People really take some horrendous pictures.

That's one reason. Another reason is that many people are so incredibly bad at taking pictures. They'll take a picture and my feet are cut off, or an arm, or something else. People really take some horrendous pictures.

That's my mom. We had her take a picture of my sister and I in front of Notre Dame (before the fire) and she made sure she got our entire bodies in the shot (feet and all), but cut off the top of the Cathedral.🤦‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter