Sensors on ECVs

We just got back and was told that the sensors were turned off. They also said the scooters were slowed down even more, tho

Hi, Claudia1. Thank you for the info. I guess this confirms a lot of questions.

Loved one recently went to WDW and at MK they were rolling out ECVs with new sensors designed to detect objects in close proximity. It was a DISASTER.

She could barely move in a crowd (which is everywhere) because the ECV kept detecting persons nearby and stopping. When it stopped it took several seconds for the "alert" to release and allow her to move again.

Going through the ride queues was even worse. Every guide pole registered as an object and potential collision and caused the ECV to stop. It took her forever to get through the Laugh Floor queue with angry guests trapped behind her. It was frustrating and embarrassing for her.

She took the ECV back up front and managed to get one without a sensor despite the CMs claiming the system was tested and they did not have issues. Made her sign a waiver to drive a sensorless ECV but warned her ALL the ECVs would have sensors soon. The CM took the one she had been using and drove it around main street and passed her on the way back into the park and said he thought there was "something up" with the one she had.

She wrote a letter and was told the ECVs are supposed to "slow down" but the one she had stopped and refused to move. One time she had to pull the key out and put it back in to restart.

Not sure if that was a fluke or not but an ECV that stops or even slows down without input from the driver can be dangerous. Imagine walking out of the park at the end of the night in close quarters and suddenly just STOPPING for no reason. You are probably going to get run over by the person behind you who is not expecting it and/or not paying attention. If someone fell over an ECV it could mean injury for the ECV driver and the other guest.

Wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this.

It is only in MK now but supposed to eventually spread to all parks.

Oh, this is gonna just make people rent from outside companies, unless Disney requires ALL rental scooters (not personal ones) to have this motion sensor on them.

Just as bad as the auto start/stop on vehicles now.

Hi, Claudia1. Thank you for the info. I guess this confirms a lot of questions.

Good to know. Ima tell my mom this (who is contemplating on renting a scooter for the week) and depending on whether or not she wants to rent from Gold, or if I should give her the scooter that I rented for myself and take my personal chair to Disney. (Yay, get to play “Damaged Wheelchair Roulette”)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter