service dogs or simply pets at MK last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba

DIS Veteran
Weird, I saw a total of three tiny dogs with guests at MK last week. They were NOT causing a problem and I didn't care but are mini dogs used as working service dogs? and if not how in the world are they getting by security?

This pops up every month or so and yes they can be service dogs for any of a number of hidden health problems like seizures or they could be pets that people call "service dogs" (which does not always require any formal training or certification) so they can bring them into the park.

Its a topic that can get heated so be prepared. :thumbsup2

Weird, I saw a total of three tiny dogs with guests at MK last week. They were NOT causing a problem and I didn't care but are mini dogs used as working service dogs? and if not how in the world are they getting by security?

Service dogs can come in all sizes. Many small dogs are used for seizure disorders or for detecting low blood sugar.

This pops up every month or so and yes they can be service dogs for any of a number of hidden health problems like seizures or they could be pets that people call "service dogs" (which does not always require any formal training or certification) so they can bring them into the park.

Its a topic that can get heated so be prepared. :thumbsup2

There is no need for it to get heated, I was just sitting there near a split rail in frontier land just waiting for family to come out of the bathroom and turned towards someone beside me only to see a blanket in her lap jump to life and a small mini dog peeked it's head out from beneath a blanket, towel, jacket or something. It startled the heck out of me.....but heck, I don't care one way of the other. Next year I'm going to bring my "working" service iguana (kidding).

There is no need for it to get heated, ....

There is no need for it to get heated but just like height requirement threads its the way they tend to go. Its the nature of the internet and the Disboards. ;)

I saw a lot of them last week. All different breeds and sizes. I assumed they were service dogs or dogs in training

I'll add a little heat :stir:

My DH is allergic to cats and dogs to the point of his eyes swelling shut, and it concerns me to see so many people with tiny pets in places you just don't expect, like grocery stores for example. In the parks is one place I thought he could be safe. Big service dogs can be avoided, the little ones not so much. I've never thought about it before, but surely they don't take pets on rides, who cares for them while their owners are riding :confused3

I'll add a little heat :stir:

My DH is allergic to cats and dogs to the point of his eyes swelling shut, and it concerns me to see so many people with tiny pets in places you just don't expect, like grocery stores for example. In the parks is one place I thought he could be safe. Big service dogs can be avoided, the little ones not so much. I've never thought about it before, but surely they don't take pets on rides, who cares for them while their owners are riding :confused3

They do take them on rides. Disney has a list of attractions not "suitable" for service animals on it's website. And per the ADA allergies is not a reason to deny a service animal.

Oh, here we go again!!! Let me see if I can cover last week's thread in one post.:mic:
1. Service dogs come all shapes and sizes.
2. Tiny dog have several service purposes incl. but not limited to seizures and comfort/companion and many other conditions.
3. Service dogs are allowed in a # of WDW areas, incl. but not limited to some rides and restaurants.
4. Some owners treat their dogs like a member of their family, they save lives in some instances, they may even dress them up or ride them around in strollers. It's ok it's their dog, uniforms are not required for their jobs.
5. To be a service dog, you need papers to prove it. Some believe not all dogs are legit, but if you have papers, which may or may not(if you're shady) be costly, you really cannot dispute their presents.
6. Service dogs will not be removed for people with allergies. Sorry.

I think I covered most angles of last weeks topic, feel free to add on.:wave2:

Oh, here we go again!!! Let me see if I can cover last week's thread in one post.:mic:
1. Service dogs come all shapes and sizes.
2. Tiny dog have several service purposes incl. but not limited to seizures and comfort/companion and many other conditions.
3. Service dogs are allowed in a # of WDW areas, incl. but not limited to some rides and restaurants.
4. Some owners treat their dogs like a member of their family, they save lives in some instances, they may even dress them up or ride them around in strollers. It's ok it's their dog, uniforms are not required for their jobs.
5. To be a service dog, you need papers to prove it. Some believe not all dogs are legit, but if you have papers, which may or may not(if you're shady) be costly, you really cannot dispute their presents.
6. Service dogs will not be removed for people with allergies. Sorry.

I think I covered most angles of last weeks topic, feel free to add on.:wave2:

How about.....The reality of today's world is that some people insist upon bringing their pet with them EVERYWHERE and have figured out that claiming it's a service animal allows them to haul Pookie to restaurants, shops, WDW, etc. They don't give a rat's hiney if someone who is allergic to animals is made sick or if a kid who is scared of dogs is traumatized. What matters is that Pookie spends every second of every day with their addled owners.

I have a relative with a small-medium size dog who alerts when her blood sugar is off, so I know these dogs exist. But the realist in me figures half the little dogs at WDW are of the fake service dog variety.

No you don't.

Most people think of Seeing Eye Dogs (is that even a proper term anymore?) with their vests, etc, as service dogs. Those dogs are born and raised, pretty much, for that job. They have TONS of training and people with those dogs likely have all sorts of paperwork that they'll pretty much never need to show anyone.

But if I develop a seizure disorder and my dog (nonexistent) happens to be amazing at alerting me to sit down or stop driving to save my life (and those around me if I'm driving), I wouldn't have to go get him all sorts of training on how to do his job. I would, because I'm me, have already had him in lots of obedience classes and I would, because I'm me, ALWAYS have him on a leash, but unless something big has changed since I looked into everything, that's not required.

Service animals are treated like other humans in regards to restaurants, housing, etc. And like humans, if they create enough of a disturbance, they can be booted from the establishment. But they can't automatically be denied entrance in the US.

OP, a head's up. When one is saying they don't want things to start in their own thread, one should not say things like "Next year I'm going to bring my "working" service iguana (kidding)."

THAT, that exactly, is what sets off the posts. I'm sure you didn't know. But that's a trigger.

my fault, my fault.....I'll take full blame for the restart of a tired and old debate. up until last weeks trip I had NEVER noticed a service animal or any animal for that matter being brought into a park. I'm so sorry in a Jack Sparrow sort of way to Barbossa the commadore in their cave just before they find out that they have don't have boot-straps kid pirate:!!!

5. To be a service dog, you need papers to prove it.
Comfort/companion dogs are not service dogs. They do have some rights to be in housing that don't normally accept pets, but they are not allowed in stores, hotels, etc that must accept service dogs.
Service dogs are not required to be certified. Would be nice if some sort of testing could be required, but no one has fiqured out how to implement it.

my fault, my fault.....I'll take full blame for the restart of a tired and old debate. up until last weeks trip I had NEVER noticed a service animal or any animal for that matter being brought into a park. I'm so sorry in a Jack Sparrow sort of way to Barbossa the commadore in their cave just before they find out that they have don't have boot-straps kid pirate:!!!

My DD and I had the same experience you had in January. In 18 prior trips we had never seen a service dog. That trip we saw at least five, most were small breeds.

Some people's tiny dogs are specially trained to detect when their owners are not taking them to places which normally do not allow dogs. As not going to nice places is a symptom of depression for these people the dog must be with them at all times. It makes perfect sense as long as you don't think about it.

This is the explanation I give myself whenever I catch myself questioning whether or not someone's dog really is a service dog. It's easier to believe this than spend the day worried about something that's not my problem. Unless the dog is not well behaved. Then I verbally assault the dog.

No you don't.

Most people think of Seeing Eye Dogs (is that even a proper term anymore?) with their vests, etc, as service dogs. Those dogs are born and raised, pretty much, for that job. They have TONS of training and people with those dogs likely have all sorts of paperwork that they'll pretty much never need to show anyone.

But if I develop a seizure disorder and my dog (nonexistent) happens to be amazing at alerting me to sit down or stop driving to save my life (and those around me if I'm driving), I wouldn't have to go get him all sorts of training on how to do his job. I would, because I'm me, have already had him in lots of obedience classes and I would, because I'm me, ALWAYS have him on a leash, but unless something big has changed since I looked into everything, that's not required.

Service animals are treated like other humans in regards to restaurants, housing, etc. And like humans, if they create enough of a disturbance, they can be booted from the establishment. But they can't automatically be denied entrance in the US.

OP, a head's up. When one is saying they don't want things to start in their own thread, one should not say things like "Next year I'm going to bring my "working" service iguana (kidding)."

THAT, that exactly, is what sets off the posts. I'm sure you didn't know. But that's a trigger.

have we all lost our sense of humor? Everyone has said it, there are folks that abuse the system and those who do not. Obviously me bringing a service iguana is tongue in cheek and a GROSS violation of the service animal policies. Anyone taking offense to the iguana remark needs MORE help then any animal can provide.

have we all lost our sense of humor? Everyone has said it, there are folks that abuse the system and those who do not. Obviously me bringing a service iguana is tongue in cheek and a GROSS violation of the service animal policies. Anyone taking offense to the iguana remark needs MORE help then any animal can provide.

As long as your iguana doesn't blow bubbles or drive its EVC too fast while trying to use its GAC you should be fine.

As for service animals, if dear Fifi is hanging out in your designer purse with her little Minnie Mouse dress on while you feed her bon bons, I'm going to assume your little rat dog is not really a service animal and I will judge you. If you let said little rat dog anywhere near me, Fifi might just find herself "accidentally" falling in the water on the Jungle cruise.

I gotta say, for all these posts that crop up, I have never seen a dog in all our many trips to WDW.

I can't imagine why someone would subject a dog to the park environment if they weren't necessary for the service they provide, but whenever a rule is implemented, there is always someone ready to find a workaround. And there are always pet owners who put their own needs before the comfort and well being of their pets.

Too many people here have no sense of humor. The iguana comment was obviously a joke but some people are so passionate about certain topics they take it all too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter