service dogs or simply pets at MK last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is trained to do specific tasks for me. She is not just a companion animal.

As someone that has a daughter who is a full time wheelchair user with a service dog. And a volunteer puppy raiser for the service dog organization, I have to wonder what tasks a 5.5 pound poodle can perform for an adult.
It's not going to be opening doors or turning on and off lights. It's not going to be picking up dropped items because you would still have to bend down to get them from the dog. It can't stabilize you when your getting up or walking. Sounds like a "emotional support" dog with maybe a vest bought on the internet that you don't want to leave home. But I could be wrong. :confused3

Because my allergies are mine and in my case I can't expect everyone to not wear perfume just because I'm in the restaurant. I always ask to move even if we are almost done eating. I do get upset at some people that wear so much perfume that you can smell them from 50 feet away. I still ask the wait person to move us
Many times I can just change seats with my wife and be fine.

What her specific jobs are are not necessary to know in this forum. I was just pointing out that I can see from both sides of the issue.

I have a couple random questions:

Those of you who have service dogs, what do you do if someone is afraid of dogs? The discussion has focused on allergies, but I've known several people with paralyzing fear of dogs. I have dogs, and work with dogs, so I am not bothered by service dogs. Although, I do think people work the system and its ridiculous. I do have a problem with service horses, but that's a whole different discussion (I grew up with Miniature Horses and still own them, and there is no way I believe they are a safe service animal). Anywho, back to the question. We were contemplating bringing a family member down here to WDW who is severely mentally challenged and she is afraid of dogs (she was recently attacked by a dog). There was a large number of dogs in the parks, and I just imagine her freaking out if she sees one nearby.

Another random question:

Does anyone have a service dog for a pinched nerve? I had a girl recently tell me she had a service dog for a pinched nerve... I have a pinched nerve in my back and I can not think of any way a service dog could help me. I collapsed at Tusker House this week, so maybe a dog could've drug me out of the restaurant :rotfl2:. But, that's about all I can think of. I don't want a service dog, my 8 crazy dogs are enough, but it just seems to me like people are using every little ache and pain as an excuse.

I have a 9 lb dog who was trained to be a diabetic alert dog. She also was trained to help me with my partial hearing loss (higher tones on the register) and to pick up small items that I drop. Unfortunately, I do need her. I don't take her out if someone else is with me. When I am by myself, she is invaluable. She also goes with me to functions at my apartment. She rides on the floorboard of my scooter and never calls attention to herself. She never barks or begs for food, has been trained to eliminate on command, etc. She knows her job and is very good at it!

I have a couple random questions:

Those of you who have service dogs, what do you do if someone is afraid of dogs? The discussion has focused on allergies, but I've known several people with paralyzing fear of dogs. I have dogs, and work with dogs, so I am not bothered by service dogs. Although, I do think people work the system and its ridiculous. I do have a problem with service horses, but that's a whole different discussion (I grew up with Miniature Horses and still own them, and there is no way I believe they are a safe service animal). Anywho, back to the question. We were contemplating bringing a family member down here to WDW who is severely mentally challenged and she is afraid of dogs (she was recently attacked by a dog). There was a large number of dogs in the parks, and I just imagine her freaking out if she sees one nearby.

Another random question:

Does anyone have a service dog for a pinched nerve? I had a girl recently tell me she had a service dog for a pinched nerve... I have a pinched nerve in my back and I can not think of any way a service dog could help me. I collapsed at Tusker House this week, so maybe a dog could've drug me out of the restaurant :rotfl2:. But, that's about all I can think of. I don't want a service dog, my 8 crazy dogs are enough, but it just seems to me like people are using every little ache and pain as an excuse.

It's been our experience that if we come upon someone that is afraid of dogs either we relocate or they do. It all depends on the situation.
We were out a few weeks ago and we ran into a child who was afraid of dogs. I took my daughters service dog out of the store.

Another random question:

I have a very bad spinal condition (severe scoliosis and kyphosis), still manage to work p/t and live a fulfilling life, but, as I get older, I have looked into either getting a service dog or at least training one of my dogs to do some of the basic skills that service dogs can provide for a person with this disability. For a person with back problems, this could include, providing a physical support base (for me to brace myself against when changing positions, kneeling to standing, etc), retrieving dropped items (my balance makes its hard for me to bend over), carrying items for me, etc, etc.

I don't think getting a service dog is a decision that people should take lightly. A well trained, appropriately trained service dog is a very valuable tool for a person with special needs.

Terri

Sorry but the ADA no longer considers "psychiatric dogs" (emotional support dogs) as service dogs unless they are with a wounded warrior.

While this is entirely true of America, various countries have different laws. A service dog here in Australia also covers companion animals, psychiatric animals, guide dogs and horses.

As someone that has a daughter who is a full time wheelchair user with a service dog. And a volunteer puppy raiser for the service dog organization, I have to wonder what tasks a 5.5 pound poodle can perform for an adult.
It's not going to be opening doors or turning on and off lights. It's not going to be picking up dropped items because you would still have to bend down to get them from the dog. It can't stabilize you when your getting up or walking. Sounds like a "emotional support" dog with maybe a vest bought on the internet that you don't want to leave home. But I could be wrong. :confused3

:confused3 Seriously? This post is beyond rude. A "service dog" can provide emotional support for various disabilities and psychiatric illnesses. It's not just about physically supporting people. Since your family has a service dog and you train dogs too, I'm surprised that you aren't aware service animals can do other tasks too. As I mentioned above, while the USA might be different a support animals is classified as a working service dog in other countries, Australia being one of them.

While this is entirely true of America, various countries have different laws. A service dog here in Australia also covers companion animals, psychiatric animals, guide dogs and horses.

:confused3 Seriously? This post is beyond rude. A "service dog" can provide emotional support for various disabilities and psychiatric illnesses. It's not just about physically supporting people. Since your family has a service dog and you train dogs too, I'm surprised that you aren't aware service animals can do other tasks too. As I mentioned above, while the USA might be different a support animals is classified as a working service dog in other countries, Australia being one of them.

I am not in another country. I am in America so I can and will only speak about the laws in America. I was not rude. I was just stating the laws here.
Emotional support dogs are no longer considered service dogs here in America.

I'm going to close this thread at this point so it can do some cooling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter