service dogs or simply pets at MK last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounded like an excuse, but apparently it's a thing. Interesting.

All the owner of such a dog would need to do to get public access for the dog is to say "My dog has been trained to alert on changes to body chemistry." Under ADA they do not need to do, say or present anything else and the business is not allowed to inquire as to the nature of the disease or disability.

Unless and until I hear of a dog running amok in Disney and biting people, I'm really not going to concern myself with whether or not some strangers' dog is "legitimate" or not.

All the sightings mentioned in this thread so far seem to be of perfectly well behaved animals. So I'm happy to give their owners the benefit of the doubt, and mind my own business.

I'm grateful I don't have seizures, or blood sugar issues, or crippling anxiety, or any other condition that makes it hard for me to go out and enjoy myself. I'm glad my dog can stay home!

Unless and until I hear of a dog running amok in Disney and biting people, I'm really not going to concern myself with whether or not some strangers' dog is "legitimate" or not.

All the sightings mentioned in this thread so far seem to be of perfectly well behaved animals. So I'm happy to give their owners the benefit of the doubt, and mind my own business.

I'm grateful I don't have seizures, or blood sugar issues, or crippling anxiety, or any other condition that makes it hard for me to go out and enjoy myself. I'm glad my dog can stay home!

AND BINGO: we have a winner folks:thumbsup2

How about.....The reality of today's world is that some people insist upon bringing their pet with them EVERYWHERE and have figured out that claiming it's a service animal allows them to haul Pookie to restaurants, shops, WDW, etc. They don't give a rat's hiney if someone who is allergic to animals is made sick or if a kid who is scared of dogs is traumatized. What matters is that Pookie spends every second of every day with their addled owners.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

If your animal is a service animal trained to perform a service, under ADA, WDW MUST allow the animal into the hotels, the restaurants and the parks. Even though they do not admit animals under other circumstances. They can exclude the animal only if it is disruptive, dangerous and out of control. The only thing you have to worry about is the inability to take the dog on certain attractions; someone will have to wait with it.

ADA only covers service dogs and miniature ponies, no other animals.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.html

I have only seen one dog at WDW. It was several trips ago so probably 2006. It was a black lab pup in training. He was wearing an orange vest that said he was a service dog in training and the trainer was asking people not to pet or distract the dog if they asked to pet it. He was perfectly well-behaved though but that's the only time I've seen a dog at WDW. My last trip was in 2010 though so maybe I'll look around for dogs in November when we go.

The previous post that was quoted did note that the ADA has limited its language as to the definition of "service animal" to dogs and miniature horses, but it is still not incorrect to say "service animal" as dogs and horses are animals.

I saw an article about service monkeys... a certain breed of chimp maybe. i thought that sounded pretty interesting.

Got it. I'm just thinking about my dog and I don't know who would be more excited there. The kids or my dog. She's got a long ways to go lol

Just want to add that Florida state law recognizes Service dogs in training.

"413.08. Rights of an individual with a disability; use of a service animal; discrimination in public employment or housing accommodations; penalties

(8) Any trainer of a service animal, while engaged in the training of such an animal, has the same rights and privileges with respect to access to public facilities and the same liability for damage as is provided for those persons described in subsection (3) accompanied by service animals."

Table of state laws for service dogs from Michigan State College of Law
http://animallaw.info/articles/State%20Tables/tbusassistanceanimals.htm

Since this is a discussion about service animals, I've moved it to the disABILITIES! board. :)

I saw an article about service monkeys... a certain breed of chimp maybe. i thought that sounded pretty interesting.

The ADA only protects the use of dogs and miniature horses as service animals. So, no one would be entering Disney with a monkey.

In case the person who asked came back, even if the dog's presence makes your eyes or throat swell shut, current laws are clear that the dog has more right to be there than you do. If you have an allergic reaction to the dog, it is your problem and you need to remove yourself.
Not saying this is morally ok, but legally they cant even ask the dog to leave or move for allergies. We have run into a dog at Disney exactly once, a few weeks ago at a restaurant, and DS had to leave because his throat was tightening up. The dog came in and was sat at the table next to us while waiting for our food, it took a good bit of coughing for us to figure out what was going on because we didnt notice the dog. The person with the dog has more right to have the dog than the individual with allergies has to breathe air. Its a strange and sad conflict of disabilities.
So anybody who rolls their eyes that it doesnt happen, it does. Luckily most allergies aren't that bad.

In case the person who asked came back, even if the dog's presence makes your eyes or throat swell shut, current laws are clear that the dog has more right to be there than you do. If you have an allergic reaction to the dog, it is your problem and you need to remove yourself.
Not saying this is morally ok, but legally they cant even ask the dog to leave or move for allergies. We have run into a dog at Disney exactly once, a few weeks ago at a restaurant, and DS had to leave because his throat was tightening up. The dog came in and was sat at the table next to us while waiting for our food, it took a good bit of coughing for us to figure out what was going on because we didnt notice the dog. The person with the dog has more right to have the dog than the individual with allergies has to breathe air. Its a strange and sad conflict of disabilities.
So anybody who rolls their eyes that it doesnt happen, it does. Luckily most allergies aren't that bad.

I am sorry that you have such severe allergies. I'm sure had the family with the dog known it was causing you discomfort they would have gladly moved.

That said you need to contact your state Rep or Senator to have the ADA changed. Currently allergies are not considered a disability. Most likely because they are situational and can be treated. Plus that would also open the door to people with allergies qualifying for SSDI. I have to admit, I'd gladly give up my large lab service dog and even have my child take on your child's allergy if it ment my child not having severe autism.

I hope you have success finding air to breathe.

I am sorry that you have such severe allergies. I'm sure had the family with the dog known it was causing you discomfort they would have gladly moved.

That said you need to contact your state Rep or Senator to have the ADA changed. Currently allergies are not considered a disability. Most likely because they are situational and can be treated. Plus that would also open the door to people with allergies qualifying for SSDI. I have to admit, I'd gladly give up my large lab service dog and even have my child take on your child's allergy if it ment my child not having severe autism.

This is not correct(bolded), and one of the more narrow minded popular opinions found on this board. In the past Sue has done a good job of not allowing "my disability is worse that yours". In the interest of providing correct info:

"In an historic judgement on December 20, 2012, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced an agreement with Lesley University in Cambridge, Mass., to ensure that students with celiac disease and other food allergies can fully and equally enjoy the university’s meal plan and food services in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

The judgement found that food allergies may constitute a disability under the ADA. Individuals with food allergies may have an autoimmune response to certain foods, the symptoms of which may include difficulty swallowing and breathing, asthma and anaphylaxis. For example, celiac disease, which is triggered by consumption of the protein gluten (found in foods such as wheat, barley and rye), can cause permanent damage to the surface of the small intestines and an inability to absorb certain nutrients, leading to vitamin deficiencies that deny vital nourishment to the brain, nervous system, bones, liver and other organs. "

and

Does the ADA Apply to People with Asthma and Allergies?
Yes. In both the ADA and Section 504, a person with a disability is described as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, or is regarded as having such impairments. Breathing, eating, working and going to school are "major life activities." Asthma and allergies are still considered disabilities under the ADA, even if symptoms are controlled by medication.

The ADA can help people with asthma and allergies obtain safer, healthier environments where they work, shop, eat and go to school. The ADA also affects employment policies. For example, a private preschool can not refuse to enroll children because giving medication to or adapting snacks for students with allergies requires special staff training or because insurance rates might go up. A firm can not refuse to hire an otherwise qualified person solely because of the potential time or insurance needs of a family member.

In public schools where policies and practices do not comply with Section 504, the ADA should stimulate significant changes. In contrast, the ADA will cause few changes in schools where students have reliable access to medication, options for physical education, and classrooms that are free of allergens and irritants.

http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=19&cont=255

And:
"The SSI program can provide valuable monthly cash payments to children who
..... psychomotor retardation, allergic reactions, recurrent infection, poor growth

http://ssa.gov/disability/professionals/childhoodssi-pub048.htm

I didn't want to have to get into anything over the dog, so we just had DH take him out to swim while the rest of us sat there.

I believe allergies can legally be a disability, it just depends on how disabling they are. (how bad, how many, what sort of things) I know in my son's case when he enrolls in a school the forms we use to inform them of his situation are the same forms you use for a physical disability. He has a crazy list of food and environmental issues.

Please, lets not start a discussion of "my disability is worse than yours" though. Not only is it silly to discuss and compare, nobody wins...
I can honestly tell you I have wished in the past my daughter's cognitive disabilities were "just" Autism. I am not telling you this to make light of Autism AT ALL. :flower3: I get why my situation probably seems like a nice dream to you, but you can tell people it's Autism and they care. Sometimes they may even stop staring and quit blaming it on you. They may do something to help or accommodate you. There are support groups, you have rights, you get equal or even sometimes preferential treatment. There are Autism awareness days at parks and museums, you get parade floats. People accept your excuse if all your kid can eat that day is cookies. You have a family of people fighting for your child's cause.
I have three kids each with strange restrictions and problems, each in their own right would qualify for SSDI if our income were lower. Nobody has an official diagnosis... so when my 10 year old can't say the alphabet it officially means I am a crappy parent with a stupid kid. If my son is having a reaction to something it's completely my problem and nobody cares. There is no support, there are no accommodations, nobody but me fights for them.
I'm not saying all of that for sympathy or to downplay anything. I am grateful every day nobody here is in worse shape than they are. But if it helps you any, I hope you realize the doors that open for you with that particular diagnosis and are able to see and appreciate them. We both see something appealing in each other's spaces, but either way the greener grass really means it had a ton of crap dumped on it.

I have to admit, I'd gladly give up my large lab service dog and even have my child take on your child's allergy if it ment my child not having severe autism.

Wow, want an ____

Thumbs down. There's a way to express your opinion without being
ugly. Thinly veiled mean comments are worse than just coming out and saying something rude.

This is quite possibly the rudest post I've read on these boards. And that's saying something. I hope you have success finding compassion for others.

Wow, I have to admit somebody stating their child doesn't have the right to breathe air because a service dog is allowed to be in public is way more over the top than ANYTHING I said.

I apologize for my tone.

Wow, I have to admit somebody stating their child doesn't have the right to breathe air because a service dog is allowed to be in public is way more over the top than ANYTHING I said.

I apologize for my tone.

Don't twist what I said. I was breaking down the way things are worded. Because of the law, the dog can't be asked to leave even if it is dangerous to somebody else. The person with allergies has to take it upon themselves to leave. So we are sitting down to dine, a dog comes in and the dog gets to stay rather than us. It is a strange situation but legally, yes, that dog has more legal right to be in the location as a service animal than the person with allergies has to breathe air if the dog causes an allergic reaction. It is not over the top to point out but it is important to know if it effects you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter