Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland March 17 – Day 7 Complete in Hong Kong Proper; 12/04

In Search Of…….Lunch! We’re Hungry!

That shopkeeper did give us good and bad information. The good intel was that the multilevel shopping mall did have any number of food options on the various levels. The shopkeeper told us to head to level 4 or 5. We headed there and quickly realised that the options on these levels didn’t grab us.

Luckily, we had noticed a few more eating establishments during our trip up to the upper floors. So, we found ourselves in a hand-pulled noodle shop on level 2 or 3.

By this stage, I believe everyone was starving. My mother ordered a soup noodles and I didn’t even remember to or get a sniff at taking a picture. Wendy, her DD and I ordered the beef (or was it pork?) noodles.

It was here that I realised what a master the noodle maker at the hotel was. The noodles here were tasty; but the diameter of the noodles was not consistent within the strand and between strands.

Still, it was a good meal and whilst I cannot remember exactly how much the noodles were, I think each bowl was less than 40 Yuan. That’s less than $8 in my money. Maybe @Aussie Wendy can remember exactly how much the dishes were.

(Continued in Next Post)

We found the same issue looking for eateries near the Lama and Confucius Temples - lots of reviews on line but none at the locations any more.

In Search Of…….An Old Lilong Neighbourhood

We still had one more destination to go-see in the Old Nanshi area. So, we started to head down Fuxing East Road. Surprisingly, there was a mosque here. It piqued my interest so much that I came home to google. This is the Xiaotaoyuan Mosque, formerly known as Islamic Western Mosque or Shanghai Western Mosque. It is the largest mosque in Shanghai. Turns out the Islamic Association of China is one of the 5 officially sanctioned religious groups in China.

Just as we walked past this area, we came across an old residential neighbourhood. Aussie Wendy and I just looked at each other….and we headed on in.

We had stumbled across an old style Shanghai Lilong. "Li" means communities, "Long" means lanes. Simply put, lilong housing, is a type of lane-and-community based urban dwelling form.

Since the former leader of China, Deng Xiaoping, announced the Chinese economic reform in 1978, the change of the urban landscape in Shanghai has accelerated the redevelopment (mostly demolition) of lilong neighbourhoods. Lilongs are (sadly) not viewed as significant historic heritage in Shanghai. There are a few – such as Xintiandi and Tianxifang – that have been renovated to become trendy areas. But they are few and far between.

Different from the traditional Chinese residences, which were built separately and individually, lilong housing was built by Western property developers from the 1840’s to 1950. The real estate developers built clusters of two-story brick housing in order to gain the most profit on limited land.

A lilong was built as a community where there are several alley ways (or longtangs) inside the block with the units having their doorways along the alleys. Only a few major alleys were connected to the outside roads. As a consequence, once we moved inside to the inner alleys, it felt like a rabbit warren in here.

The design gave the residents shared longtangs as places for communicating with neighbors, while the block was separated from the outside as a community because of the way the outer alleys were designed. It makes for close neighbours.

It felt surreal meandering through this old lilong area. Sadly, with the amount of modern construction going on in Shanghai, old lilongs such as these are now residences for the lower socio-economic group in Shanghai. Anyone with the means would be living in the more modern and newer apartments.

I understand that there are a lack of the basic necessities that we take for granted in our houses such as bathrooms in the individual units. From personal observation, we certainly saw a group of 3 men facing a wall down the end of one of the streets we walked down. I guess there was nowhere else for them to go. We walked slower down that longtang and made a right turn as quickly as possible! Despite that and the obvious poorness of the area, it certainly felt like a community in here.

As China continues to replace the old/historical city landscape with a new urban development, lilong neighbourhoods like this one will head the way of the dodo. I guess (or hope) that new housing will be made available to these residents but that community feel will probably be lost once they move.

I’m just glad to have been able to explore one for a small fragment of time to see and feel what it must have been like to live in Old Shanghai.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited:
In Search Of…….Lunch! We’re Hungry!

Still, it was a good meal and whilst I cannot remember exactly how much the noodles were, I think each bowl was less than 40 Yuan. That’s less than $8 in my money. Maybe @Aussie Wendy can remember exactly how much the dishes were.

(Continued in Next Post)

My diary says the meal including a bottle of water cost us 25Y each ($5 at the exchange rate) and can't remember the meat.

Shame about your first lunch option being a fizzer, but it seems like it all turned out for the best. Those noodles look delish despite being unevenly sized ;)

In Search Of…….Shanghai Old City Wall

We still had that one other thing to go-see in the Old Nanshi area.

This original Old City of Shanghai was once defined by a defensive wall. The old walls were demolished in 1912 but there are two sections still remaining. The more significant of the two is Dajing Ge Pavilion. You’ll find it at the corner of Dajing Road and Renmin Road.

Entry to this historic attraction will set you back 5 Yuan (or about $1 in my money).

The wall was built in 1553 during the Ming Dynasty, to defend itself against Japanese pirates. I guess it’s pretty ironic that this relic of the past is surrounded by corporate pirates.

The wall measured 8.1m (27 ft.) high and 4.8km (3 miles) around, and had 10 gates. All that remains today is 50m (164 ft.) of wall.

We were allowed to walk through and pretty much see what we wanted.

I guess the Pavilion was rebuilt at some stage. As there were no signs in English and I don’t read Chinese, I really don’t know why or when.

There is also a small temple in here.

I think this might be a temple to the God of War, Guan Yu.

It didn’t take long for us to see this place. And that was with me taking pictures!

Again…..if walls could talk, I wonder what tales it would tell?

This is all that’s left of the Old Wall….from Renmin Street.

Even though there wasn’t much to see, in the end, I think I’m pleased that we made the effort to find this place.

(Continued in Next Post)

In Search Of…….A Credit Card Refund Found!

Wendy’s hotel was in the area of Old Nanshi and we walked her and her DD back to their hotel with plans to meet up again later in the night.

From there, my DM and I headed back to the Yu Garden train station and caught the train back to the Nanjing East Road station. That meant we had to walk down Nanjing Road one more time to our hotel.

It was here that I realised what people mean when they say that the Chinese can be rude and not respectful of personal space. Bear in mind that this was a Saturday afternoon. By this stage, there were tons of people down Nanjing Road and there was a bit of pushing and cutting in going on in front of me. I couldn’t believe the difference! My mother told me that it was more likely the behaviour we were seeing was from Chinese people from the countryside visiting Shanghai than the more respectful and polite Shanghainese that we had encountered the last couple of days.

I was really glad to get back to our hotel. That last few meters down Nanjing Road really tested my patience.

And I was even more pleased to find an envelop waiting for me when we got back to the hotel. The bellhop gave it to me when he got our bags. Turns out the hotel staff had managed to refund the 1000 Yuan back to my credit card whilst we were out and about. That was such welcomed news to me!

(Continued in Next Post)

In Search Of……..The House of the Mouse!

It’s time.
Time for Disney! Disney! Disney!

My mother and I decided we were catching a taxi to Shanghai Disneyland. We had talked about sharing a taxi with Wendy and her DD. I think we completely overestimated how large her bags were and we figured that it was probably better to make our own way there.

Sorry Wendy. If I realised how compactly you had packed, we would have definitely picked you up on the way!!!

Anyway. The hotel got us a taxi and, best I can figure it, we probably took this route to the House of the Mouse.

You can see the proximity of Disneyland to Pudong International Airport, which is the blue plane dot to the right of the map.

I may not be able to read Chinese but I can definitely read Mickey Head. This was the second such sign we saw on the way.

I guess we were heading in via the West Entrance.

My excitement levels were through the roof. OMG! OMG! OMG!

Somewhere past this point, our taxi driver just didn’t have a clue where to go.

I had printed out the Disney Hotel address out in English AND in CHINESE. He could read the Chinese but I guess he’s never taken anyone to the Disney Hotel before. He definitely knew the way to the Toy Story Hotel and took us there instead. He also understood ‘no’. So, he backtracked and we went round again.

We stopped and asked a security guard along the road. Turns out he didn’t know either. This first security guard didn't even seem to know that there were hotels in the resort. I guess he must have been a recent recruit.

Luckily, the second security guard we asked gave our driver some instructions and shortly after that we pulled up to the security gate of the Disneyland Hotel.

Disney! Disney! Disney!

Postscript

For the record, the cost of the taxi will set you back somewhere between 150 - 180 Yuan from downtown Shanghai. Even with going round in circles twice, we ended up with a taxi fare of 175 Yuan. That's about $35 in my money. This is probably going to be the most expensive way of getting to Disney from Shanghai proper.

If they are reading, perhaps the others can disclose how they got to the resort and how much it cost them.

princess::upsidedow

Great insight into some Old Shanghai. I do love old city walls!

Good news about the credit card refund too!

Woohoo! Disney Disney Disney!

For the record, we also had trouble with our taxi driver. We had addresses printed out in English and Chinese as well and it didn't seem to make any difference. In the end we pointed to the Mickey head on Fairy Floss's t-shirt and that seemed to help lol!

I absolutely love the contrast between the traditional architecture and the modern buildings.

We’re sorry to report that the vendors and restaurants at Sipalou Lu and Fangbang Lu have suffered the same fate as those on Wujiang Lu and have been shut down.

What a shame that they had all gone.

It was here that I realised what a master the noodle maker at the hotel was. The noodles here were tasty; but the diameter of the noodles was not consistent within the strand and between strands.

Your lunch looked really nice even though the noodle maker was not as good as the one at the hotel.

Since the former leader of China, Deng Xiaoping, announced the Chinese economic reform in 1978, the change of the urban landscape in Shanghai has accelerated the redevelopment (mostly demolition) of lilong neighbourhoods.

For all the poverty and the lack of creature comforts, it is a shame that they are destroying a art of the heritage.

This looks pretty impressive even though there is not much of it left.

I absolutely love this photo.

I was really glad to get back to our hotel. That last few meters down Nanjing Road really tested my patience.

What a shame that this was so unpleasant.

And I was even more pleased to find an envelop waiting for me when we got back to the hotel. The bellhop gave it to me when he got our bags. Turns out the hotel staff had managed to refund the 1000 Yuan back to my credit card whilst we were out and about. That was such welcomed news to me!

That is great news.

We stopped and asked a security guard along the road. Turns out he didn’t know either. This first security guard didn't even seem to know that there were hotels in the resort. I guess he must have been a recent recruit.

Now that is really worrying. Was this Disney security? I am glad you made it in the end and the price seems fair especially considering the detour.

Corinna

In Search Of……..The House of the Mouse!

It’s time.
Time for Disney! Disney! Disney!

My mother and I decided we were catching a taxi to Shanghai Disneyland. We had talked about sharing a taxi with Wendy and her DD. I think we completely overestimated how large her bags were and we figured that it was probably better to make our own way there.

Sorry Wendy. If I realised how compactly you had packed, we would have definitely picked you up on the way!!!

Anyway. The hotel got us a taxi and, best I can figure it, we probably took this route to the House of the Mouse.

You can see the proximity of Disneyland to Pudong International Airport, which is the blue plane dot to the right of the map.

I may not be able to read Chinese but I can definitely read Mickey Head. This was the second such sign we saw on the way.

I guess we were heading in via the West Entrance.

My excitement levels were through the roof. OMG! OMG! OMG!

Somewhere past this point, our taxi driver just didn’t have a clue where to go.

I had printed out the Disney Hotel address out in English AND in CHINESE. He could read the Chinese but I guess he’s never taken anyone to the Disney Hotel before. He definitely knew the way to the Toy Story Hotel and took us there instead. He also understood ‘no’. So, he backtracked and we went round again.

Luckily, the second security guard we asked gave our driver some instructions and shortly after that we pulled up to the security gate of the Disneyland Hotel.

Disney! Disney! Disney!

Postscript

For the record, the cost of the taxi will set you back somewhere between 150 - 180 Yuan from downtown Shanghai. Even with going round in circles twice, we ended up with a taxi fare of 175 Yuan. That's about $35 in my money. This is probably going to be the most expensive way of getting to Disney from Shanghai proper.

If they are reading, perhaps the others can disclose how they got to the resort and how much it cost them.

princess::upsidedow
Let the Disney time begin!! Yay

We found the same issue looking for eateries near the Lama and Confucius Temples - lots of reviews on line but none at the locations any more.

I wonder why the Chinese Government are doing that.

Oh well....I guess it means we have to research a bit more next time.

My diary says the meal including a bottle of water cost us 25Y each ($5 at the exchange rate) and can't remember the meat.

Thank you for this. I thought the noodles might have been 17 Yuan...but I chalked it down to a faulty memory because that price just seemed ridiculously cheap to me. So, I thought it was about 37 Yuan. Looks like that might have been for 2 bowls of noodles!

Shame about your first lunch option being a fizzer, but it seems like it all turned out for the best. Those noodles look delish
despite being unevenly sized ;)

You're right about the lunch! Those noodles were delicious. And even if the noodles were a little uneven, it added to the rustic-ness of the dish. It also provided me with the comparison for the noodle maker at the hotel. Don't get me wrong. The noodles here were also very good. I'd be happy to go back for a repeat meal there.

Great insight into some Old Shanghai. I do love old city walls!

Good news about the credit card refund too!

It's just a shame they demolished so much of the old city wall. It would have been cool to see a longer stretch of it, like what we saw in Suzhou. However, I expect everything pales into comparison against the Great Wall.

Yes. I was very happy about the credit card refund. It meant that I didn't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip. :dance3:

Woohoo! Disney Disney Disney!

For the record, we also had trouble with our taxi driver. We had addresses printed out in English and Chinese as well and it didn't seem to make any difference. In the end we pointed to the Mickey head on Fairy Floss's t-shirt and that seemed to help lol!

Did @Fairy Floss flash her t-shirt at the taxi driver?????
:rotfl2:

I expect that as more visitors head to the Shanghai Disneyland Resort, the taxi drivers will know where they need to go over time. :thumbsup2

I absolutely love the contrast between the traditional architecture and the modern buildings.

There were those sorts of contrast everywhere in the Old Nanshi area. And I found bits and pieces even around Nanjing Road.

What a shame that they had all gone.

Yes. I can only guess that the Chinese Government want to clean up the street food scene.

Your lunch looked really nice even though the noodle maker was not as good as the one at the hotel.

Lunch was very good. I'm happy to go back and eat there again. The noodles here absolutely confirmed what a master the noodle maker in the hotel was. But there was nothing wrong with the taste and texture of the noodles.

For all the poverty and the lack of creature comforts, it is a shame that they are destroying a art of the heritage.

::yes:: I just wish that they would redevelop more of these old areas in Shanghai.
But I guess the land is just too valuable for a property developer.

This looks pretty impressive even though there is not much of it left.

Glad you like it.

What a shame that this was so unpleasant.

The take-out for me is that I probably be a bit more mentally prepared next time.

Now that is really worrying. Was this Disney security? I am glad you made it in the end and the price seems fair especially considering the detour.

It was Disney security. I expect that he was a new employee and hadn't yet remembered everything about the resort.

I thought that the taxi fares in Shanghai were pretty decent all round.

It is just so interesting all these components of the city. The povety not having insude toilets. I wonder if the have public baths like we did in England years ago. My Mum's house did not have a bathroom. It had an outside toilet full of spiders! They had to go to the public baths to wash.

The noodles at the hotel must have been skillfull glad you got yoir refund!

How interesting a mosque.

Yeah going to Disney!

All caught up and looking forward to your Disney installations.
I'm also craving dumplings and noodles :laughing:

So pleased you got your refund back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter