Should we keep hoppers?

bkfamilyof5

Mouseketeer
Going 12/21-12/29, 8 park days. Currently have park hoppers but have carefully planned and as of now we don’t actually need to hop any days. Haven’t paid in full yet so could still change that. Wwyd? Obviously not getting park hoppers would be a cost savings. We are staying at GF so this trip is a big splurge.

It’s very easy to stop in at Guest Services and add hoppers, if you decide you want them. Why not save the money and only buy if you end up wanting them.

You can always add them once you’re there, so I’d probably save the money initially. We have had hoppers on our early trips, and I never felt like our usage justified the expense, so now we just plan a solid day and don’t hop.

Haven’t paid in full yet so could still change that. Wwyd? Obviously not getting park hoppers would be a cost savings.

Have you priced it out with the new tickets? Modifying the tickets at this point will convert them to “new” Theme Park Tickets with the new pricing and use window. It may or may not be the savings you expect.

Enjoy your vacation!

Have you priced it out with the new tickets? Modifying the tickets at this point will convert them to “new” Theme Park Tickets with the new pricing and use window. It may or may not be the savings you expect.

Enjoy your vacation!

This is exactly what I was thinking. We have only ever hopped the past 2 times we have been to WDW and we love the freedom. I couldn't do Disney without them, but I understand to others it's a waste of money especially in OP's case where they have their days planned and don't even need them.

Just would call and check to be sure if making a change, will it change your initial price(guessing you had reservations before new ticket structure). I would want to make sure that if removing the hopper, your ticket price wouldn't go up, if new price is higher at that time of year, and check what the new price would be to add hopper at parks if you do later so you know for sure what your savings would be - you seem pretty sure you will not need the hopper, but make sure what costs may be.

I wouldn't consider going Christmas week without hoppers; flexibility is critical during that time of year

We always get park hoppers. Sometimes we simply feel like leaving the park we are at and it's so easy to hop over to another park.

We park hop almost every day we’re there. Can’t imagine going without them although a lot of people do.

Going 12/21-12/29, 8 park days. Currently have park hoppers but have carefully planned and as of now we don’t actually need to hop any days. Haven’t paid in full yet so could still change that. Wwyd? Obviously not getting park hoppers would be a cost savings. We are staying at GF so this trip is a big splurge.

Hopping is a convenience so it's hard to say how much it's worth to someone else.

To me, they're non negotiable. If/when I don't have APs the cost of a PH is just calculated in the cost. I'd drop a table service meal (or two), drive rather than fly, stay at a lower tier resort, eliminate memory maker and/or all souvenirs before cut out my park hopper.

Even if I don't plan to use them, we always do. Something inevitably goes wrong and rather than adding the convenience later I just plan knowing I have it. Whether it's day 1 or day 5, I like knowing I can always hop somewhere else if something seems "off" at the park I am in (RnR ad Toy Story Mania down on my Hollywood Studios day for example).

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider going Christmas week without hoppers; flexibility is critical during that time of year

While I don't disagree that hoppers are critical for Christmas I kinda think they are more critical when the parks are less crowded.

I mean, during Christmas week everything is going to be busy so if you hop from a park thats a 10/10 you might be hopping to a park thats a 9/10. During slower times you can easily hop from a park thats a 7/10 to a park thats a 2/10.

I agree 100% though...no way I'd go during Christmas without them.

I truly love hopping, but we are forgoing getting park hoppers this year to save money and it's such a bummer. If we go to a crowded park we'll be stuck there! Since you already planned to pay for hoppers, I would keep them.

I find that PH's give me flexibility with my dining plans. We have found we like many restaurants in EPCOT so the PH's give us the flexibility to eat at the restaurants that we truly want to eat at.

To me, their non negotiable. If/when I don't have APs the cost of a PH is just calculated in the cost. I'd drop a table service meal (or two), drive rather than fly, stay at a lower tier resort, eliminate memory maker and/or all souvenirs before cut out my park hopper.

It's so interesting, all the different perspectives. I would never give up the things you list there for PH. We get them at Uni because ... the train... But never have at Disney. Even at Uni we use them but mostly to get train rides. To each their own.

As you say, they are a convenience. But OP if I wasn't planning to use them, I would use the money for something else. Lots of things they will let you pay for at Disney. :teeth:

We never get hoppers. One time we decided we wanted them so went to guest services and added them. I’d save the money and see if you need them, it’s an easy fix! Enjoy!

I love to hop. I find changing the park midday is a bit of a breather/rest during the day and I love the flexibility.

That being said, if you have a touring plan that is entirely one park per day, then you might as well do away with the park hopper. You can always add it on at guest services if you end up changing your mind during your trip.

As others have said. You are there for a long time, hopping may not be needed, but if you want to... you can add them. We would use hoppers to re-visit a park or split a day between AK/HS, but with 8 days you have time to spare. have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter