Should we keep hoppers?

Ahh well, it turns out our free dining was connected to having park hoppers, so it’s a moot question. I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to make it “worth it” and hop a few times! We have a big group including kids and a senior so I was trying to streamline everything as much as possible and not have us move around too much.

Hop for fireworks or dinner or something. It doesn't always have to be about a crazy day.

We have always, every single trip, purchased hoppers and used them, and enjoyed them. That said, the new ticket structures and prices are making us revisit this strategy going forward.

My husband has already decided that the next time he comes along, he would rather only go to one park a day and spend the ticket savings on club level and/or good dining and dinner shows. My daughter loves Disney Springs and could easily spend a couple of mornings or evenings there instead of park hopping. I love visiting and dining at all the deluxe resorts and could happily make several mornings and/or evenings out of that. And after just spending over $500 for a six-day hopper for my mom in December (and that was before the price increase!), we are seriously considering going hopper-free in December 2019.

We are all adults, and don’t even visit the pools, except for the pool bars! If you are adding pool time, that further reduces the need to spend time in the parks.

As other have said, you can always add the hopper option once you are there, if you decide that you really miss it.
However, if you have already planned enough fun non-park activities, there is a good chance that you won’t. The GF is gorgeous, with great access to the Poly and CR for dining and outings. Enjoy!!!

Edited to add: Just read that you are required to get the hoppers, so decision made. Free dining for a large group is a great perk, so you are probably getting good value there. :thumbsup2 Have a wonderful trip!!

I would check the price difference. You are staying onsite and have passes for 8 days. My guess is the difference for hoppers or not is not going to be much.
Also, as others have noted, you are there during a very busy time of year, so hopping may be a better option on some days. It also gives you the option to hop to a park at the end of the day to see the evening shows.

We did PH on our trip last year (we were there 8 days and did 4 park days). We park hopped for two of them, but one I regret. We did a half day each at AK and HS, and if we hadn't gotten the PH I would have sprung for an extra park day and committed to full days at each park. We went back this year adults only with no hoppers, and that convinced me that PH weren't the way to go for us. I'm a perpetual planner so when I'm on a big vacation the flexibility isn't a selling point LOL

It really depends on how firmly you intend to stick with your plan. We always get PH. It allows me to schedule dining in different places. Even though I try to schedule them for where we are (or we go where we have ADRs), it does add for more flexibility if I want to make changes which I occasionally do. We often find we just decide that we're bored at a park, or it's too crowded, or we get a brain flash and decide we want to ride EE when we're in MK so we just go. Or we go back to the resort and then decide to go to a closer park than where we were at in the morning. I don't mind the transportation time. Sometimes we just do that as a means of taking a break from the heat and to get off our feet.

If you're one to stick with your plan through thick and thin - don't bother to pay the money for it. If you think you might hop on a whim (or want to hop on a whim) or want to try to avoid crowds, then it can be worth it. You're going on approximately the same days we are and I've actually planned some days where I want to be in one park in the morning and one in the evening or afternoon. I'm not really even sure I can explain why I want to do that - I just do. But that's how we tour.

As others have said. You are there for a long time, hopping may not be needed, but if you want to... you can add them. We would use hoppers to re-visit a park or split a day between AK/HS, but with 8 days you have time to spare. have fun!
OP will also be there during the most crowded week of the year and having the flexibility to leave one park and go to another is invaluable during that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter