Sister Wives

Just when I thought Kody's hair couldn't get any worse...Just shave it off already!!

OMGosh....right?? Eww..his hair just creeps me out.

I hardly ever watch but my sister does so whenever I go visit I end up watching...lol It always works out I'm there the day of the premiere so we watched the marathon before and the new episode. Meri just needs to leave...she seems miserable and the rest all seem like they couldn't care less about her being there with them.

I used to love the show and watched it faithfully, so glad I stumbled across this thread! Lol, I had to sneak it when I was married because my husband didn't allow me to watch it. I was raised Mormon and he felt threatened by the show. He thought it would encourage me to leave him! Now I wish it had ;)

I read through the recent replies and realized I have a lot to catch up on. Can't believe Kody actually tried to take a young 5th wife! Can you say "midlife crisis"? It makes me sad to see what a mess the family is now. I wonder if they were destined to end up here or if it was being in the public eye that ruined everything?

I was seething when he yelled at Meri in front of the others about putting his youngest through college when he was 70.
What about the fact he didn’t want to help his wife buy the B&B because he “needs the money for me once I’m old”. Or something along those lines, it came right after explaining putting his last child through college

I used to love the show and watched it faithfully, so glad I stumbled across this thread! Lol, I had to sneak it when I was married because my husband didn't allow me to watch it. I was raised Mormon and he felt threatened by the show. He thought it would encourage me to leave him! Now I wish it had ;)

I read through the recent replies and realized I have a lot to catch up on. Can't believe Kody actually tried to take a young 5th wife! Can you say "midlife crisis"? It makes me sad to see what a mess the family is now. I wonder if they were destined to end up here or if it was being in the public eye that ruined everything?

I bet it was the public life that ruined it. They’re all so much more than they used to be. Plus, they lived pretty modestly before and now they all have huge houses and wear Apple watches.

What about the fact he didn’t want to help his wife buy the B&B because he “needs the money for me once I’m old”. Or something along those lines, it came right after explaining putting his last child through college
She was a big proponent of living the plural lifestyle. Having a husband with many kids from other wives is part of that lifestyle. Unfortunately, that can mean buying a B&B might have to take a back seat to other monetary priorities. And while he might have been an *** about it, college and retirement probably should come before re-acquiring the family homestead.

She was a big proponent of living the plural lifestyle. Having a husband with many kids from other wives is part of that lifestyle. Unfortunately, that can mean buying a B&B might have to take a back seat to other monetary priorities. And while he might have been an *** about it, college and retirement probably should come before re-acquiring the family homestead.

They were buying a business that happened to be a family homestead.
It was being bought for its earning potential as well as sentimental value.

I think most of the b&b drama was manufactured for the show. Those conversations were fake.

I think most of the b&b drama was manufactured for the show. Those conversations were fake.
You mean it wasn't coincidence or luck when the film crew just happened to be filming Kody in his office when his partner called him to tell him they didn't have the money? I'M SHOOK! :eek: :faint:

Eh, I don’t know about that. Meri flat just wanted it. She agreed to it being a business venture so that the family would agree to it. When it came down to the rest of them being involved she was adamantly opposed. She wants family money but she wants that house to be HERS. I’m personally all for being selfish on occasion but not at the expense of the rest of the family. This house is a hobby for her she couldn’t care less if it actually makes any money or not.

I bet it was the public life that ruined it. They’re all so much more than they used to be. Plus, they lived pretty modestly before and now they all have huge houses and wear Apple watches.
Well Meri wears a FitBit but yeah. They live/lived in my part of town which is not the most expensive area but not the cheapest either. Their mortgages are easily double mine. Before they bought them I’d see them in Walmart quite often and they dressed very, very plain, especially Janelle and Christine. Not FLDS plain but pretty damn close. Covered up, no make up, severe hair. I think without the show the wives would have been happy enough just to ignore each other and live their own lives.

Well Meri wears a FitBit but yeah. They live/lived in my part of town which is not the most expensive area but not the cheapest either. Their mortgages are easily double mine. Before they bought them I’d see them in Walmart quite often and they dressed very, very plain, especially Janelle and Christine. Not FLDS plain but pretty damn close. Covered up, no make up, severe hair. I think without the show the wives would have been happy enough just to ignore each other and live their own lives.

I haven’t watched in ages because I got bored with how they tried to sugar coat everything. This show was interesting when they talked freely about the issues and plural marriage lifestyle but then they wanted it to seem like everything was fine while also trying to up the reality drama and it became boring and cringey.

Based on the comment above, I wonder if they didn’t “mainstream” then a bit more for the show. I always thought they were modest but not oddly so. Now I’m curious whether they had them change their style to fit in more with non-fundamentalist images (if that makes any dang sense), like I don’t think they ever wore Prarie dresses, but it sounds like they might not have been quite so styled as they are now.

If that house was a serious business venture, she would have been able to produce a serious business plan when asked for it. After all, she was just days from finalizing the purchase. All she seemed able to produce when asked was an old disorganized mess of notes.

I’m surprised at how many people see Meri as a sympathetic character. I think she’s awful.

Meri admittedly abused Janelle for many years. Even now that she’s not in a position to bully the other wives- Meri is selfish, manipulative, and childish. I give the others a lot of credit for being so patient with her.

I’m surprised at how many people see Meri as a sympathetic character. I think she’s awful.

Meri admittedly abused Janelle for many years. Even now that she’s not in a position to bully the other wives- Meri is selfish, manipulative, and childish. I give the others a lot of credit for being so patient with her.
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm thinking the ones seeing her sympathetically are looking at her through the lens of a monogamous marriage. Looking at it that way makes Kody the villain, as he does treat her terribly. But she was all in with the plural marriage from the start. So she needs to either accept the limitations that come with that or cut bait and move on.

I haven’t watched in ages because I got bored with how they tried to sugar coat everything. This show was interesting when they talked freely about the issues and plural marriage lifestyle but then they wanted it to seem like everything was fine while also trying to up the reality drama and it became boring and cringey.

Based on the comment above, I wonder if they didn’t “mainstream” then a bit more for the show. I always thought they were modest but not oddly so. Now I’m curious whether they had them change their style to fit in more with non-fundamentalist images (if that makes any dang sense), like I don’t think they ever wore Prarie dresses, but it sounds like they might not have been quite so styled as they are now.
You can go back and look at the beginning episodes and see how much more conservative their style was and based on my handful of encounters (never spoke to them just more of an, ‘Oh look, it’s Christine/Janelle/Meri and a whole gaggle of kids’) it was more so in public.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm thinking the ones seeing her sympathetically are looking at her through the lens of a monogamous marriage. Looking at it that way makes Kody the villain, as he does treat her terribly. But she was all in with the plural marriage from the start. So she needs to either accept the limitations that come with that or cut bait and move on.
As someone who struggled with infertility and as a former Mormon (where you’re expected to have lots of babies right out of the gate) I used to have great empathy for Meri. But the second she went looking outside her marriage for validation I was out. Kody is no gem and he’s an obnoxious horse’s behind but she signed up for this, it was HER idea. She’s the one who put plural marriage on the table not Kody. If you’re struggling with your marriage you need to work on fixing it or like you said, cut bait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter