Sketchy add-on point waitlist (8 months and counting so far for BLT March UY)

citivas

Mouseketeer
I got on a waitlist for add-on points at BLT the day Disney acknowledged my closed resale contract in December last year. I originally asked for 25 points -- this was before the rule change. My use year is March.

I checked in every couple of weeks and no movement. After the announced pending rule change to 75 points for benefits the guide said it was probably the points wold come through before that. They didn't. After that I offers to up my request to 75.

Eight months later I'm still waiting. I've checked in every couple months since. I have allegedly never moved from #8 on the waitlist in 7 months. The guide assures me that the way the list works is they have to take the requests in order not by closest match to the available points -- i.e. they won't skip over you because they have 200 points available and a buyer further down the list who wants all 200. Etc.

Here's the thing. I have since seen a couple other people post on a DVC Facebook group that they have received their add-on points for BLT March UY despite getting on the waitlist months after me. But the Guide insists that's impossible and says they must be lying.

Anyone have any insights. 8 months on the waitlist with no movement in position most of that time seems excessive. And the Facebook people, who use real names, don't seem to be lying.

Guide's name BTW is Jeff Martin. Referring to me by the resale agent at DVC Resale Market. She also recommended Kathy Radar, but she never returned any of my calls so I moved onto Jeff who at least sometimes returns the calls (sometimes he has someone else return them for him). I tried a while back to call and ask for someone else and they referred me back to Jeff. Seems like a closed loop.

Much of what happens at DVC we have to take at face value, we don't know what really goes on behind the curtain, they don't tell us or let us see. When asking pointed questions or when requesting official answers they will often give you the run around or not get back to you. Some guides may not want to take the time to process smaller point contracts when the same effort can be used to process larger contracts that ends up paying them more.

:earsboy: Bill

The run around sounds like a nice way of saying the Guides lie to your face and Disney's cool with that.

Yep, I’d definitely request a new guide and/or start calling 1-2 times/week. :rolleyes1 Squeaky wheel....

Yep, I’d definitely request a new guide and/or start calling 1-2 times/week. :rolleyes1 Squeaky wheel....

I'm a very squeaky wheel and was calling a ton early on. But the guide kept insisting the list is the list and it makes no difference. So not sure how to get around that. It speaks very poorly of Disney that they institutionally tolerate their Guide's lying.

When guide contacted me after tour in May I said no to CCV but would buy BLT with October UY immediately. He said not available and only had BLT in an April UY. I decided that October was more important to me than BLT since I planned to do that resale and he said October BLT probably wouldn’t be available until after October 1 when they had the points available. I am surprised your guide didn’t call you March 2 with the points. I would switch for sure.

Reach out to the people on Facebook who say they got their March UY waitlist filled. Get in contact with their guide. Seems like he might be more motivated to help you.

Keep in mind that Disney gets points from foreclosures and ROFR. In the past year, we've only got three contracts listed as taken back through ROFR on the thread in this forum, and none were March. You could probably search the Orange County Comptroller's site to see if Disney has sold any March contracts in the past 8 months.

Update: I got bored and checked out the OCC site. Looks like Disney has sold at least 7 direct contracts for BLT with a March use year in the past two months, for a total of 810 points. Some pages flaked out on me, so it might be more than that.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that there is not 1 single master waitlist. I believe that each guide keeps a waitlist and they have to be checking for points on your behalf. I could be totally wrong, but that's what it seems like to me. So, if your guide isn't "watching" when points come available, some other guide will snatch them up for their customers.

I also am pretty sure they DO skip past people if there are not enough points available for the person before. So, smaller contracts could be filled first. Although, at 75 points, I would think you'd have had something by now.

1) Either get a new guide or call yours every few days or at least once per week.

2) Will any other resort or UY work for you? You may want to consider other options.

If it were me, I would start a chat online and see if that gets you to someone new and basically ask what is available TODAY and go from there!

Reach out to the people on Facebook who say they got their March UY waitlist filled. Get in contact with their guide. Seems like he might be more motivated to help you.

Keep in mind that Disney gets points from foreclosures and ROFR. In the past year, we've only got three contracts listed as taken back through ROFR on the thread in this forum, and none were March. You could probably search the Orange County Comptroller's site to see if Disney has sold any March contracts in the past 8 months.

Update: I got bored and checked out the OCC site. Looks like Disney has sold at least 7 direct contracts for BLT with a March use year in the past two months, for a total of 810 points. Some pages flaked out on me, so it might be more than that.

Ooooooh, that's good info. I'd be calling and asking the guide how those people got their points! Wow.

I've been on the BLT waitlist for Oct points for the same length of time. Told the same thing as you and it was not the guide you list. They do have to have the minimum you want though all at once. If not then they'd move on to the next person.

I got on a waitlist for add-on points at BLT the day Disney acknowledged my closed resale contract in December last year. I originally asked for 25 points -- this was before the rule change. My use year is March.

I checked in every couple of weeks and no movement. After the announced pending rule change to 75 points for benefits the guide said it was probably the points wold come through before that. They didn't. After that I offers to up my request to 75.

Eight months later I'm still waiting. I've checked in every couple months since. I have allegedly never moved from #8 on the waitlist in 7 months. The guide assures me that the way the list works is they have to take the requests in order not by closest match to the available points -- i.e. they won't skip over you because they have 200 points available and a buyer further down the list who wants all 200. Etc.

Here's the thing. I have since seen a couple other people post on a DVC Facebook group that they have received their add-on points for BLT March UY despite getting on the waitlist months after me. But the Guide insists that's impossible and says they must be lying.

Anyone have any insights. 8 months on the waitlist with no movement in position most of that time seems excessive. And the Facebook people, who use real names, don't seem to be lying.

Sounds like it's time to get a new guide. I think the guides are not incentivised by Disney for selling points at sold-out resorts. You need to find a smart guide who's willing to do it for you for the relationship building, even if they don't immediately benefit from the sale.

The guide we spoke with at Aulani was not interested at all in selling us anything other than Aulani or CCV.

Guide: You could go on a wait list but you'll be waiting for years.
Me: That's fine. Put me on it.
Guide: Actually there is no wait list for the resorts you're interested in.

(after another few minutes of negotiations)

Guide: My manager will offer you $1000 resort credits on top of the incentives. Remember you can only buy DVC while you are on American soil!

By this time I thought that statement was a lie too. Found out when I returned to home that indeed, the sales team weren't legally allowed to sell me points or put me on a waitlist when I call from Australia.

Some guides may not want to take the time to process smaller point contracts when the same effort can be used to process larger contracts that ends up paying them more.

:earsboy: Bill

Are guides paid commissions by Disney? I have often wondered that.

Guides aren't fully commissioned sales. But there are incentives against the base.

Think of it this way: Really good salespeople aren't going to sign on to a sales organization without incentives.

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out!

Guide's name BTW is Jeff Martin. Referring to me by the resale agent at DVC Resale Market. She also recommended Kathy Radar, but she never returned any of my calls so I moved onto Jeff who at least sometimes returns the calls (sometimes he has someone else return them for him). I tried a while back to call and ask for someone else and they referred me back to Jeff. Seems like a closed loop.

I was very unhappy with my guide and I switched to Kathy Rader. She was awesome. I recommend her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter