Skin tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
i have some skin tags that I would like to remove myself. I go to the dermatologist every year but I know my insurance won’t pay to have them removed so I would like to remove them myself. I have taken one off before and it stayed off but it took weeks. I had to roughen it up, apply this stuff that looked like coffee grounds and keep a bandaid on it. Not something I could really do with ones that are where others can see. Has anyone ever used anything that works but is easy to use?

nail clippers....seriously. DH just snips his off. He did a couple of mine too

They have stuff you can buy over the counter that you can use. I had a few that my family dr. took off so you might try that.

I would suggest snipping them off as that's the quickest way to remove especially in they are located in more viable areas. You'll just have to wear a bandage for a bit. I think getting tiny eyebrow scissors would be the best tool for a quick snip and maybe some topical numbing spray would do the trick.

Reactions: sms
I would suggest snipping them off as that's the quickest way to remove especially in they are located in more viable areas. You'll just have to wear a bandage for a bit. I think getting tiny eyebrow scissors would be the best tool for a quick snip and maybe some topical numbing spray would do the trick.
Yup. Or just leave them.

My DMom snipped hers off with scissors. I'm not sure if it hurt much but one or two bled like the dickens. I've only got a couple and they're sort of flat, I don't think I could get at them with scissors but I might consider some of the OTC topical treatments pp's have mentioned.

You can pull it away from the skin with tweezers and do a quick cut with a razor or nip with a small sharp scissors. Some do bleed quite a bit, but a bandaid for a day is a lot quicker than some other methods. It really doesn't hurt. Just a tiny sting and its over.

Ok. Cutting is not an option. :crazy2: I start hyperventilating just thinking about doing that. The main one I want gone has a pretty thick stem. I’m almost positive that if I ever got up the nerve to do that I would bleed to death. o_O:hyper:
My mama used to do that with hers. She has also been known to twist them off. I just can’t even think about doing either. I am looking into less painful options.

rlk...I will look into that. Thank you.

I had a friend who covered it with a band aid, but she put the sticky part on the tag, not the cotton pad. After a few days, she took off the band aid and the tag was off. I believe you can use duct tape, but google it to see how long you are supposed to leave it on.

I am almost passing out at all these suggestions to cut them off. :faint:

You can buy the can of this to freeze them off. (Which still hurts!)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mole-Tag...3363&wl11=online&wl12=630056490&wl13=&veh=sem

It takes a week to ten days for them to fall off once frozen.

73da6f09-dc71-4641-addf-c8395a95dee0_1.e920e528405f50d6508d69bfacbb331c.jpeg

I have one on the outside corner of my eye. I was hoping the dermatologist can take it off. Mine is still flat, but it is there and I Do not like it.

Apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball (sorry for those who had the cotton ball phobia) Hold it on the tag for a few minutes a couple times a day and they will shrink & disappear. It really does work ~ I sadly come from a long line of women with skin tags (yuck). I am too squeamish to cut, pull, or tear them off my body!
My mother had some of her's removed by her dr. I told mom about the apple cider vinegar so she got a bottle & keeps it on the counter ~ unfortunately just having it in the house doesn't remove the tags you have to use it! So I'm still waiting to see how it will work for her.
Inexpensive, non-painful and you get to smell a little like a salad ~ What could go wrong.

You can buy the can of this to freeze them off. (Which still hurts!)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mole-Tag...3363&wl11=online&wl12=630056490&wl13=&veh=sem

It takes a week to ten days for them to fall off once frozen.

73da6f09-dc71-4641-addf-c8395a95dee0_1.e920e528405f50d6508d69bfacbb331c.jpeg

I had no idea one could buy this that was not a medical professional. Is this the same thing doctors use, in other words the same strength or whatever? My dermatologist walks in each time I go for my mole check wiht a can. In some ways, I’d be a bit nervous using it without a doctor seeing what it was. For instance, lay people trying to get rid of something that may be cancerous or something that should be seen by a professional. Garden variety skin tags, would be okay, I suppose.
Although, I’d still be squeamish. When I was a teen I dug out a wart on the bottom of my foot...to think of that now, no way in heck.

I have always used cuticle trimmers, they do grow back.
My doctor says they're caused by friction where one of your chubby bits rubs against another. He also says they're a precursor to Type 2 diabetes. Not sure how reliable that information is in all instances since mine is on the side of my neck (not a fat area on me) and my blood sugar is fine.

I had no idea one could buy this that was not a medical professional. Is this the same thing doctors use, in other words the same strength or whatever? My dermatologist walks in each time I go for my mole check wiht a can. In some ways, I’d be a bit nervous using it without a doctor seeing what it was. For instance, lay people trying to get rid of something that may be cancerous or something that should be seen by a professional. Garden variety skin tags, would be okay, I suppose.
Although, I’d still be squeamish. When I was a teen I dug out a wart on the bottom of my foot...to think of that now, no way in heck.
I just realized it recently, too. I share your concerns about having them looked at first, but it sounds like people take many of them off themselves anyway, this is just one other way, and it may be preferable than taking them off with germy nail clippers or scissors.

Apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball (sorry for those who had the cotton ball phobia) Hold it on the tag for a few minutes a couple times a day and they will shrink & disappear. It really does work ~ I sadly come from a long line of women with skin tags (yuck). I am too squeamish to cut, pull, or tear them off my body!
My mother had some of her's removed by her dr. I told mom about the apple cider vinegar so she got a bottle & keeps it on the counter ~ unfortunately just having it in the house doesn't remove the tags you have to use it! So I'm still waiting to see how it will work for her.
Inexpensive, non-painful and you get to smell a little like a salad ~ What could go wrong.

Hmmm...could you do that with just a q-tip, maybe? I hate cotton balls...

It's easy really, just get some rubbing alcohol, clean the skin around and on the skin tag. Sterilize, also with the alcohol, some small sharp fingernail scissors and have at them. As one person said some do bleed enough to need to cover it up. What I always did was wait until I didn't have anywhere to go and just apply gauze and tape over the ones that did that. Just start at the low point of the ones you are planning to cut off otherwise the bleeding will cover the area below the wound. Sometimes just applying a little amount of pressure on the gauze will stop the bleeding. I don't recommend doing more then just a few at a time. Snip them off, wipe the area again with rubbing alcohol, band-aid if necessary and within a few days any trace of those will be gone. Unless you are using blood thinners, they really won't bleed very long.

It really doesn't hurt to do, just a little quick pick like feel and that is it. Just don't do to many of them at one time. It is hard to control when there are to many. Just so you know... I'm not a doctor and I do not play one on TV. Just someone that is blessed with an abundance of Skin Tags. It's better to do them when they are quite small. The bigger ones will tend to bleed a lot. It's still doable but, controlling that requires individual attention or, in other words one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter