"Sleep-Around Points" (SAP) - The Thread

Is consensus Best SAP Contract an SSR contract? If not, what is?

• Yes, SSR is the best SAP

Votes: 81 58.7%
  • Aulani Subsidized

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • AKV

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Poly

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • VB Subsidized

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VGF (look at the low annual dues and high point chart!)

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
As I said in another thread, I think an element that isn't often discussed is whether your SAP are your only points, or simply points you use to SA. If you ONLY own SAP, then I think the resort is important, as you need to be happy if you end up stuck with that resort and can't trade out at 7 months. If you have points at your preferred resort, AND you have SAP at another resort, then it becomes a little less critical.

For example, our preferred resort is BRV, so we have just over 300 points there and make our primary reservations there (but HAVE used them to augment our SAP if we had them available). We also have 230 SSR/OKW points that we use solely as SAP. I've only ever made one reservation at SSR (our very first Welcome Home trip), and have never made one there since. The OKW 2042 points are definitely not anyone's idea of good SAP, but they were stupid-cheap at only $80 PP, and I grabbed 30 just because. Right now, I have several trips planned, including one the first week of December at BRV, made with my BRV points.

This morning I went online and at the far end of the seven month window (no specific dates, number of days, or room type to avoid censure), there is availability for our preferred length of stay and room type at BRV, SSR, RR, OKW, BLT, AKV, VGF, and BCV. The only resorts requiring a waitlist or we're completely shut out at are BWV (I think that's during the refurb period), Poly, and CCV. I would use my SSR SAP to book that trip, never worrying about whether or not I would be stuck there because I'd have made my initial reservation at that resort to begin with. In other words, it's almost a guarantee that I'm not ever going to be "stuck" at my SAP resort.

As an example, we are staying at BCV for 5 nights next month (7/9-7/14) and that trip was booked from the get-go with SAP.

***Also note: because 200 of our SAP are direct points, they can be used at any resort, including RR and VDH. Some of our BRV points are direct too, so they can be used to augment SAP at RR or VDH.

I agree and that is why I think as more resorts come online with restrictions at home resort for resale, you may begin to see people who end up with a larger variety of points.

It’s why my RIV resale work. We have other points in that membership to supplement them as well as to use elsewhere.

Gotta say, given the current deals, I wouldn’t mind buying direct and selling those…but in the end they get used at RIV so it would not be worth it!!

This math only works if you hold the contract to maturity, or close to it. The reality is that most people don't.

In 20 years the gap between VGF to SSR likely will have increased substantially as SSR is on its last legs of a contract before expiration.

As I said in another thread, I think an element that isn't often discussed is whether your SAP are your only points, or simply points you use to SA. If you ONLY own SAP, then I think the resort is important, as you need to be happy if you end up stuck with that resort and can't trade out at 7 months. If you have points at your preferred resort, AND you have SAP at another resort, then it becomes a little less critical.

For example, our preferred resort is BRV, so we have just over 300 points there and make our primary reservations there (but HAVE used them to augment our SAP if we had them available). We also have 230 SSR/OKW points that we use solely as SAP. I've only ever made one reservation at SSR (our very first Welcome Home trip), and have never made one there since. The OKW 2042 points are definitely not anyone's idea of good SAP, but they were stupid-cheap at only $80 PP, and I grabbed 30 just because. Right now, I have several trips planned, including one the first week of December at BRV, made with my BRV points.

This morning I went online and at the far end of the seven month window (no specific dates, number of days, or room type to avoid censure), there is availability for our preferred length of stay and room type at BRV, SSR, RR, OKW, BLT, AKV, VGF, and BCV. The only resorts requiring a waitlist or we're completely shut out at are BWV (I think that's during the refurb period), Poly, and CCV. I would use my SSR SAP to book that trip, never worrying about whether or not I would be stuck there because I'd have made my initial reservation at that resort to begin with. In other words, it's almost a guarantee that I'm not ever going to be "stuck" at my SAP resort.

As an example, we are staying at BCV for 5 nights next month (7/9-7/14) and that trip was booked from the get-go with SAP.

***Also note: because 200 of our SAP are direct points, they can be used at any resort, including RR and VDH. Some of our BRV points are direct too, so they can be used to augment SAP at RR or VDH.
Same! BCV for us, 4 nights 7/6-7/9 on SSR SAP! Hahaha! Something about it feels extra good, like getting a Rolex for the price of a Grand Seiko! Love Grand Seikos...they're amazing watches....but something about Rolexes is just 'extra'.

Well, I sold one of my SSR contracts last year…the 200 point one…to put the month toward buying 300 points direct at VGF.

Even though I sold at $120, paying $75..profit of $38/point…it costs me about $10k to do the exchange.

So, now only have 300 SAP at SSR…rented 111 once…at $14/pt…so it brings next cost down to about $68/point…haven’t calculated the rest.
Love this...you traded up!

I was thinking about SAPs the other day, and what I bought and my strategy.
And I would do it all again.
Because SSR has improved so much, it’s now a favourite resort. So my SAPs are not as SAP now,
For example, I’m going Boxing Day for 6 nights. Americans may not know what Boxing Day is. Day after Christmas, public holiday UK, 12/26. I could have picked anywhere basically in the 1 bed. I decided to just keep SSR as I couldn’t think of any 1 bed at such cheap points that we like more, with that extra sleeper under the TV which is a necessity for us, due to Daughter being 19 and son 16. So despite the choice, I just left it.
However, we have no interest in returning to the same resort year after year. We’d rather mix it up, on longer trips with a stay at SSR split with somewhere else maybe.
We then go on a cruise and are back 1/6 for a night and bagged a 2 bed at BRV as I want to see the new rooms. I also have a 1 bed at Copper Creek, and 1 bed at VGF. This is marathon weekend, I’m giving those two up.
Every year since we have bought in, summer, Xmas or whatever, we have stayed basically where we want in that 1 bed. Booked all over.
Next year going to Alauni in summer.
Not sure what costs per point is, but so far there has been zero, and I mean zero benefit to buying another resort even if we didn’t like SSR as there’s been no enforced stay there ever.
In 5 years these will turn into retirement points where me and the Mrs will come out for a month in winter. This will be in studios. We will mix it up, moving around a lot, and booking Vero as well. Cheaper and less hassle than buying a property which was something else once considered.
Not for everyone, but think and plan accordingly before purchase. Don‘T just listen to blind mantras of ‘Buy where you want to stay’.

Not for everyone, but think and plan accordingly before purchase. Don‘T just listen to blind mantras of ‘Buy where you want to stay’.

It gets said a lot on here and for the most part I do advocate for buying where you want to stay. However, in certain cases it can make sense to buy somewhere else.

i.e. if you're trying to stay in the bungalows/cabins, your points can come from anywhere. This also applies to the majority if not all 1BRs.

The issue I personally have with buying SSR despite loving the resort is the FOMO of giving up a home resort priority at another resort. Like I could buy 600 SSR points and be done with it for general grand villa/bungalow/cabin points OR I could do a 200/200/200 split say of BLT, CCV and VGF or something and have home booking priority at all 3. Of course it'll be more expensive but it'll also give me access to TPV rooms on July 4th/New Years's. I can grab studios/2BRs at CCV during early December if I decide thats what I want to do one year. However, if you truly don't care SSR/CCV/BLT/VGF all make great arguments for SAP.

All are very similar on a per point basis although ofc you have to factor in opportunity cost with the increased price of CCV/BLT/VGF and I guess just figure out if its worth it for you. Something else to consider is the monorail resorts are more likely to retain value over time.

Last edited:

It gets said a lot on here and for the most part I do advocate for buying where you want to stay. However, in certain cases it can make sense to buy somewhere else.

i.e. if you're trying to stay in the bungalows/cabins, your points can come from anywhere. This also applies to the majority if not all 1BRs aside from possibly VGC.

The issue I personally have with buying SSR despite loving the resort is the FOMO of giving up a home resort priority at another resort. Like I could buy 600 SSR points and be done with it for general grand villa/bungalow/cabin points OR I could do a 200/200/200 split say of BLT, CCV and VGF or something and have home booking priority at all 3. Of course it'll be more expensive but it'll also give me access to TPV rooms on July 4th/New Years's. I can grab studios/2BRs at CCV during early December if I decide thats what I want to do one year. However, if you truly don't care SSR/CCV/BLT/VGF all make great arguments for SAP.

All are very similar on a per point basis although ofc you have to factor in opportunity cost with the increased price of CCV/BLT/VGF and I guess just figure out if its worth it for you. Something else to consider is the monorail resorts are more likely to retain value over time.
Booked Grand California 3 years running, never had an issue getting 1 bed at VGC including marathon weekend, stayed 1 bed BLT New Years 2019 and went to Top of the World.

Well I own AUL subsidized so there’s my position on that.. 😂

Well, that makes it even more puzzling!

It can be interpreted as either (i) you like it for SAP since you own it, or (ii) since you omitted it earlier from your list of SAP resorts, maybe you're disillusioned with it as SAP resort.

Well, that makes it even more puzzling!

It can be interpreted as either (i) you like it for SAP since you own it, or (ii) since you omitted it earlier from your list of SAP resorts, maybe you're disillusioned with it as SAP resort.
Hahah I own it because I like it for SAP. But I don’t personally recommend for people who don’t plan to visit Aulani regularly and don’t already have a WDW home resort. I’m currently east coast based but grew up about 15 minutes from Disneyland and long term will almost certainly be somewhat near home on the west coast so I see it as a longer term way to ensure vacations outside of WDW.

Staying through Hogmanay?
English - we just call it New Year’s Eve- half my family are up in Troon though (my Uncle’s house is overlooking the golf course) so I’m happy to call it that! We leave to go on a RCI cruise 1/1, back for a night 1/6. Looking forward to it!

Hahah I own it because I like it for SAP. But I don’t personally recommend for people who don’t plan to visit Aulani regularly and don’t already have a WDW home resort. I’m currently east coast based but grew up about 15 minutes from Disneyland and long term will almost certainly be somewhat near home on the west coast so I see it as a longer term way to ensure vacations outside of WDW.
We are going from the U.K. next summer, I have always wanted to go, so looking forward to it. It’s also part of my quest to visit every State. We will be at 28 this summer.

THIS! My mantra is "buy where I don't mind staying" but I also know when I want to travel, what level point chart I'm looking for, and have done the research to figure out what options remain at the 7-month mark (all the way down to 1 week out) to get a sense for most likely available options. And if things ever got dire, I could always rent or bank if I'm not happy with my vacation options. So if I do this, my SAP will be VGF, even though I would never book to stay, but book to transfer out (or just book directly at 7 months elsewhere), though if it came down to it, I would be happy staying (just don't remind me how many extra points each night costs!). My BWV points are the ones I really need the 11 months for, and have had no trouble using them as SAPs (my 1st stay there isn't until next spring).

Sigh. As a Canuck now living in FL, I miss Boxing Day...

English - we just call it New Year’s Eve- half my family are up in Troon though (my Uncle’s house is overlooking the golf course) so I’m happy to call it that! We leave to go on a RCI cruise 1/1, back for a night 1/6. Looking forward to it!
We're Scottish so we're more Hogmanay and First-Foot people. We have family and a little summer cottage in Ayrshire (Girvan), so closer to Turnberry for us (refuse to call it Trump Turnberry).

Last edited:
We are going from the U.K. next summer, I have always wanted to go, so looking forward to it. It’s also part of my quest to visit every State. We will be at 28 this summer.
You'll love it. Growing up in So Cal, Hawaii was our vacation destination (even though I worked at DL for ten years in high school, college, and post-grad, my first trip to WDW wasn't until 7 years ago).

We're Scottish so we're more Hogmanay and First-Foot people. We have family and a little summer cottage in Ayrshire (Girvan), so closer to Turnberry for us (refuse to call it Trump Turnberry).
Ah we were at Brunston Castle last year and went with my cousin to that pub at Dunure near the Electric Brea. Walked the Beach at Maidens to the castle. Went across to Arran as well. Hadn’t been there in years. Drove through Turnberry. We had a good time, although I’m a little more excited about Hawaii.

Attachments

• IMG_3293.jpeg
    IMG_3293.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3259.jpeg
    IMG_3259.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You’ve been to way more states than I have and I’ve lived here my entire life 😂. Aulani is amazing though, I’m sure you and your family will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter